Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: Mayans, Exploits, and Repercussions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the End of Days event in The Secret World, players discovered an exploit that the developers seemed not to have considered. In our latest TSW column, we take a look at what happened and the possible repercussions. Join the conversation in the comments!

Simply put, you can basically lure Mayan undead into a safe zone, automatically killing them and, so long as you dealt damage to them first, you would get points or credit for the kill. I actually saw this occurring at the Morninglight Camp in Kingsmouth, and it had me scratch my head for a bit wondering what was going on till it dawned on me that these enemies were dying almost immediately upon hitting a force field around the camp.

Read more of Victor Barreiro Jr.'s The Secret World: Mayans, Exploits, and Repercussions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Exploits like that should be added 'into' the mechanics in the first place. That's what they should learn from this; players like pulling things into force fields. It's just fun.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

"During the course of the contest however we noticed that some players were able to exploit the mechanics and reach impossible amounts of points which in terms altered the rankings to unrealistic results.  This of course is not what we had in mind with this contest so today we decided to change the way we get out rewards for the event:  Everyone who participated in the "End of Days" event receives both the title as well as the pet today.  You can get your rewards over the claim window"

So what are we crying about again?

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

I wonder why people call this an exploit and why they think people should be punished.  If a game designer makes a system work a certain way, that is the game developers fault, not the players for figuring it out.  easy to change and keep the player safety issue intact, just say that anytime a forcefield or game mechanic kills a monster, no player can benefit in any way, just change the code.

kudos to funcom for realizing what they had was a bad game design and rewarding their customers instead of trying to punish them.

• NymandusNymandus Member UncommonPosts: 26
    They should have also given the people who did the forcefield trick the title "Min-maxing douchebag".
  • steelheartxsteelheartx Member UncommonPosts: 434
    It was a good decision on their part.

Looking for a family that you can game with for life? Check out Grievance at https://www.grievancegaming.org !

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

While is agree this was the best way to handle it... two wrong does not make one right.

The people who abused the glitch should thank their lucky star that funcom need good press more then they needed to enforce the rules. I would guess they will take a much more rigid stance the next time.

This have been a good conversation

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I put that link with Tarib's statement yesterday in the thread where a dude calling the game a mess, complaining about the event and the exploit :)

This was the easiest solution for FC I guess, to give both the title and the Hatchling to everyone. I fall in your first category btw ("pleasant surprise (for those who participated without worrying about the rewards)" )

And for the Funcom wasn't clear whether you had to kill a Mayan undead to count or simply be logged in during the event. line: I have an alt who only did the first tier (kill Xibalban and deliver the remains), he too received the title and pet. Probably even just logging in was enough, since I saw lots of Hatchlings yesterday in Kingsmouth :)

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Woot, thank you exploiter doucebags  :)

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I wonder what kind of future impact their approach will have. If exploits don't achieve the expected results, then are people less likely to try and take advantage of the exploits? It is a sure thing that trying to punish people doesn't stop anyone from exploiting mechanics.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• KatbirdKatbird Member UncommonPosts: 21

I don't think the force field was the problem per se.  While standing in the Morninglight camp, I saw one person using the force field but the mayans were spawning so rapidly that he killed one about every couple of seconds. Since the design was set to respawn another Mayan on the death of one, it wasn't a matter of poking one and running for the fence as much as finding that spot where you could kill hundreds in a matter of minutes.  No big deal that they figured that out, but I have yet to see where exploits are allowed in any game so there is nothing to complain about if you got caught doing it.

Good job handling it IMHO.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Funcom +1
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by hardicon

I wonder why people call this an exploit and why they think people should be punished.  If a game designer makes a system work a certain way, that is the game developers fault, not the players for figuring it out.  easy to change and keep the player safety issue intact, just say that anytime a forcefield or game mechanic kills a monster, no player can benefit in any way, just change the code.

kudos to funcom for realizing what they had was a bad game design and rewarding their customers instead of trying to punish them.

Still wondering? all right. By the way devs themselves called it an exploit. So i guess that should end the debate about whether it was an exploit or not.

Pulling a harbringer and insta killing it with help of a ward which otherwise takes full raid to bring down is an exploit plain and simple. Only because coding is at fault doesn't give free reign to players to exploit that faulty peice of coding.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

It was exploiting "kill areas" like wards and forcefields etc, if you laid down an aoe they would keep spawning and you'd tag them all and get all the loot.

Funcom realised that it was as much their fault for forgetting to make them immune to wards and the rewards were nothing more than normal mob farming. 

They made the right choice really, if this was Arenanet it would have been permaban city for abusing dev mistakes :P

also tawess there were no rules about how you were supposed to fight the zombies, other zombies died in forcefields too.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Must be a slow day for MMOs for something like an exploit to make front page news on MMORPG.   
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by emikochan

also tawess there were no rules about how you were supposed to fight the zombies, other zombies died in forcefields too.

There are usually a part of the EULA and ToS that states that you are not in any way shape or form to abuse bugs you find and that doing so can lead to the termination of your account.

So that is why i said they were lucky that Funcom decided to be nice.

This have been a good conversation

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Seen this many times, as i was leveling up in the academy on the savage coast map.

But honestly i didnt kill the mayans for the pet nor the title, both are pointless and neither realy help you in game. I did it for the xp, loot, and coins to buy things off the vendor. The loot i recieved realy helped my bank account and crafting. I killed most my mayans from doing end of days quest and the quetzal bird.

My personal opinion is funcom did the right thing here, but they shouldnt have given anything to the ones using the "exploit". Though they could have removed those barriers ;)

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by tawess
    Originally posted by emikochan

There are usually a part of the EULA and ToS that states that you are not in any way shape or form to abuse bugs you find and that doing so can lead to the termination of your account.

So that is why i said they were lucky that Funcom decided to be nice.

Not realy a bug or exploit realy, part of the game mechanics. They could have removed those fields for the duration of the event. Perhaps next time. More cheesy than breaking the rules.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

loved the event, went primarily for the achievement list which was not related to the K'in collecting which was possible to exploit.

Very happy I got the reward pet on top of the achievement list reward.

Got enough K'in for Quetzal bird without exploiting anyway

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by hardicon

You are right, to a sense. Exploits are normally over-sights on the developers part. With big games, which MMO's typically are, content is created with the 'spirit' behind on how its meant to be tackled. This includes play zones, to raid bosses. So, when someone finds a means to 'exploit'  the intended spirit they are often punished for doing so.

for example, I don't like to cheat, but I DO like to compete. For about 3 days I was farming Mayan's just to get my clothing, pet and do the raid bosses. But when I was checking the leader board I was so mind-blown by how many points people had it was unreal. For example, in 5 days I had legit kills at 867 the number one spot was at 7000+ I was playing for perhaps 8 hours a day as I typically do with something new and I couldn't fathom how they were doing it. So I knew something was up, this killed all motivation for me to compete because I do not want to cheat/exploit etc to win.

Lesson learned at the end of the day and I don't believe exploiters should be punished right off the bat, I think they should be warned, after all its cheeky and any economy adversement corrected. If its continued, then out comes the ban hammer.

In this case, no economy damage was done, but the spirit was lost and for something that was meant to be kept in 'good christmas spirit' I felt Bah-Humbug to it all.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I got a pet and title and I just did the first quest with Xib.  I am too weak yet to deal with the Mayan and standing in Morninglight looked lame.  I saw people there farming them, but I just didn't care about that.

I need to login to see if I got anything. I only did the first quest where you go to Egypt and talk to the old guy and then back to the MorningLight stall in London.

I ran halfway across the Egypt map in my QL1 & QL2 gear and died once before I realized I really just needed to run right outside the door. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    Agree with your assessment, Victor. The only thing I'd add is that there was negative feedback on the very fast respawns in the newbie area contributing to some bad impressions for new players. The decision to give everyone the goodies should help assuage that irritation as well.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Well, it's not exactly teaching the exploiters a lesson...

It's almost making them heroes for messing things up bad enough that everyone wins. They probably should have removed the rewards from the people with the highest of the "impossible" scores, and gave the reward to everyone else.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    GW2 would have banned them for this transgression.
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Exploiting with no repercussions to the player in Funcom games is nothing new, i played AoC for over 4 years so i know what i am talking about.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It been inthe game since day one. The church in kngsmouth has wards and you can easly pull any and all zombies there and kill them. It not an exploit it is bad game design and just about everybody I saw did that so they could clean out the area to do quest objectives without being overrun.