Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: F2P 'Subscription-Free' Option Added

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

UPDATE: Gameforge has also announced that the EU version of TERA will be going F2P with a two tiered system: Veteran and Free. Find out more on the TERA EU site.

En Masse Entertainment has announced that players will now have several options for playing TERA. Included in the new revenue model is a 'subscription-free' option as well as an 'elite status' option that gives 30-days of subscription-level play. The F2P option has no level cap or content restrictions. Current and former subscribers will be given permanent 'founder status' with exclusive benefits. The new plan goes into effect in February.

To celebrate this next chapter of TERA, En Masse Entertainment will be launching new in-game content, including a wave-based dungeon and a PvP battleground map that introduces a new way for players to test their skills against each other. The multi-stage Crucible of Flame dungeon challenges players with a series of epic, high-level battles culminating with a new boss fight against the immense Cyclops. This dungeon offers varying rewards based on performance. Additionally, more competitive players can take off in Champions’ Skyring, an all-new three-versus-three PvP battleground with some of TERA’s best PvP gear at stake. 

Head to the TERA site for more information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    This could save the day!

+1

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Well, well, well
  • blackhawkzzblackhawkzz Member Posts: 53
    And yet WoW still survives.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Wish I knew this when it was $5 on amazon.  I woulda picked it up to get founder's
  • UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52

This is good news I think.  I will check it out.  I was in a Beta weekend and it seemed like it was worth playing. I like the way there are no resrictions regarding level and zones.  If I recall correctly it was quite well received.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    can't say I didn't expect this...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

In the EU we are just waiting for Gameforge's take on ftp. There is a certain degree of pessimism (bordering on complete despair), based on their Aion model:

http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website/shop/category/116

We shall see......

Edit - Gameforge have said they will give an announcement later today

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

I visited that link. You should put a caution on it: "Warning! You are about to see a cash shop and a little piece of your soul will die."

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Good news everyone!

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    yayyyy!!!! 
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I'm surprised.  After TSW I expected box to play for TERA.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

It seems once todays maintenance is over the EU service is going to hear its fate, the community manager has posted on a thread stating the information is incoming later today.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=134936&page=4&p=2296016&viewfull=1#post2296016

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    I wonder if me as an European could join the NA version of the game (i'd even buy the box if possible). For sure the EU version will go F2P and, as Gameforge will be handling it, then it's a "no thank you" for me.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Good deal!
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Originally posted by Coolit

It seems once todays maintenance is over the EU service is going to hear its fate, the community manager has posted on a thread stating the information is incoming later today.

https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=134936&page=4&p=2296016&viewfull=1#post2296016

I wish En Masse operated the game in EU too. I don't trust Gameforge and it will be a worse model for sure if they went f2p too. Even besides the model thing, i don't wanna play on Gameforge's service so if i check this out it will be on En Masse's service whether it will be EU or NA will see.

btw, nice line about the hotbars lol. It sounds even more ridicilous when devs make fun of it in their own trailers.

Edit: EU site is updated and it doesn't look bad actually; http://tera-europe.com/tera-club.html

But i remember there being censorship on armors and blood in EU and we saw how Aion got updates ages later than NA under Gameforge so i'll check it out on NA probably.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

"Our philosophy was to add to what we already offer instead of restricting what we already have. We have added vanity items and convenience boosts instead of charging for existing dungeons or taking away your hotbars"

Wonder who this is aimed at :)

The package for free players looks very generous to me.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The NA version of TERA works just fine, if you're not from one of the IP banned European countries (Russia being the most notable). Sure, you get an extra 100 to ping, but that's not a big deal. TERA isn't that fast-paced.

It's still boring, though, which is why I doubt I'll play it. It's a huge download, too.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339
    I can't wait for it to go free. I probably won't sub, but I can still have plenty of fun for free!  (They already got 6 months out of me :D )

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Scalpless

The NA version of TERA works just fine, if you're not from one of the IP banned European countries (Russia being the most notable). Sure, you get an extra 100 to ping, but that's not a big deal. TERA isn't that fast-paced.

It's still boring, though, which is why I doubt I'll play it. It's a huge download, too.

Awesome, thanks Scalpless for your answer! An extra 100 ping sounds like chocolate cake compared to having to deal with Gameforge.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

for all you guys who "can't wait" and think it's "a verry good news"...

Gameforge has EA-like restrictions on Aion, like: timed cd on dungeons so you can do like 1 or 2 runs per few days, and unlock the dungeon timer by buying scrolls and things like that...

It's pretty much crap, a box would be much better than gameforges cash shop, but well... just saying not to get your hopes up high.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

In the EU we are just waiting for Gameforge's take on ftp. There is a certain degree of pessimism (bordering on complete despair), based on their Aion model:

We shall see......

Edit - Gameforge have said they will give an announcement later today

yeah but what announcement will it be..although i like tera i despise gameforge..especially with their attitude..they were still charging max price for the game £40 while en masse were charging $15 .which says everything.they never reduced the price to encourage people to join the game..in fact they did fuck all except watch the population get less and less.

Hopefully they will get their head out of their ass..even the sub fees were higher.wtg gameforge.how to ruin a games population.i still dont get why en mass decided to let gameforge near this game..but hey you never know they may actually do something right by the game..hang on a sec i just gotta catch that pig flying past my window.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Dangit now I gotta go play Tera again too! Too many MMOs right now!

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Nice, I will be trying this XD
  • xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384
    Great, I hope i get to keep my old character from the only  month I played, got him to level 40+ but the quests bored me to death, I do love some open world pvp though so hopefully I can finish getting him to 60 or whatever the level cap is.

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    When will this be available ? I loved TERA but i dont like Subscription ;)