Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would love to come back to AC 2

Hi  all , as a former player I would love to come back if they get the game up and running. I would not mind a small sub fee say 7$ to 9$ a month to keep it up and running. I wish they would open up thier beta to a larger base of players. I dont seem to be able to recover my old AC2 account info but i am open to staring a new account at some point in the future. Right now I am in a holding pattern till I see how they handle things.

Comments

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

so far im not very impressed with the support they are giving to their game. 3 weeks and still not a single patch or MUCH NEEDED UI improvement. Almost everytime i try to login it says the server is full and i am getting bumped back to desktop with no queueing system. so if i want to login i have to enter password and load the game 10-30 times since there are no way to queue up to join the server.

the in game map is awful and very small, worst design you could imagine. They nerfed run casting for range so if you are a range class in pvp get prepared to get stunned and 2-3 shoted. 

Crazy imbalancement between classes in pve. Most people rolling tank or healer because they are far superior choice for soloing pr small groups.. .

all bosses encounter are tank and spank and require about no strategy. 

Very low amount of quests and ga,e content.

Hiding their lack of content with massive mob grind and repeatable quests in which you need to run around the whole map to find a rare spawn that gives a kill X amount of X mob quest.

Remember that the game failed for a reason and  you would think that if they wanted to revive the game they would at least release something new in the beta but all they did is just re releasing their old game in the same state if failed to deliver in 2005.

Unless you are terribly desperate for a bit of nostalgia, wait to see what Are Turbine up to with ac2 but like I said so far it looks like they put very little ressources into it. 

Their communication on their forums is some of the best I have seen for an MMO tho. tks to Sev and Tolero

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Ringside

so far im not very impressed with the support they are giving to their game. 3 weeks and still not a single patch or MUCH NEEDED UI improvement. Almost everytime i try to login it says the server is full and i am getting bumped back to desktop with no queueing system. so if i want to login i have to enter password and load the game 10-30 times since there are no way to queue up to join the server.

the in game map is awful and very small, worst design you could imagine. They nerfed run casting for range so if you are a range class in pvp get prepared to get stunned and 2-3 shoted. 

Crazy imbalancement between classes in pve. Most people rolling tank or healer because they are far superior choice for soloing pr small groups.. .

Hiding their lack of content with massive mob grind and repeatable quests in which you need to run around the whole map to find a rare spawn that gives a kill X amount of X mob quest.

Remember that the game failed for a reason and  you would think that if they wanted to revive the game they would at least release something new in the beta but all they did is just re releasing their old game in the same state if failed to deliver in 2005.

Unless you are terribly desperate for a bit of nostalgia, wait to see what Are Turbine up to with ac2 but like I said so far it looks like they put very little ressources into it. 

Their communication on their forums is some of the best I have seen for an MMO tho. tks to Sev and Tolero

You expect UI improvements on a 10 year old game within 3 weeks of beta? Additionally, when literally about a week and a half of that was during the holidays here in the U.S. so they weren't actually in the office (with the exception of a skeleton crew).

Then you bring up that the servers have been unstable, which they have been. So would you rather have a new UI or server stability first? The team has stated that stability of the server and getting the bugs worked out is top priority. Luxury items such as a new UI, when the current UI works well enough will have to wait.

The classes are quite balanced in PvE, people rerolling tank or healer are doing so because there was a severe lack. However, I am able to blow through mobs 8-9 levels higher than myself as an Invoker, which is a DPS class, as well as having no issue finding groups. I still see a wide variety of classes that the people are playing.

Yeah, the bosses in the are a bit tank n spank, but this game also comes from an era where most mmos just had tank and spank mechanics. What made the fights hard was your healing not being able to keep up with healing folks, or not have a proper debuffer. You're not going to have raid instances like WoW does, and frankly not all games need that. Especially since the game is a near endless leveling grind (once the hero quest is fixed).

There's plenty of content for those who know where to find it. Quest givers don't have ! or ? over them, so you are required to explore the game. You constantly see people spamming for groups for various quests in general chat, and there's still even more quests that many seem to have forgotten about.

Honestly, the game failed for two main reasons. First, Microsoft (who used to own the AC franchise) force the game to launch is a severely broken state. Secondly, MS forced Turbine to use untested "features" such as the GUN server, which ultimately didn't work very well. Going months without working chat in a mmo is dooming it to failure. Not to mention the legion of whiners who pissed and moaned that AC2 wasn't AC 1.5, despite Turbine stating that it was going to be a very different game from the get go. If AC2 had launched after the Hero patch when most of the game was fixed, it most likely would have never been shut down.

The community in AC2 currently mostly consists of the folks who played years ago. Many of us purchased AC1 just to play the AC2 beta, and despite the bumps, the game has aged pretty damn well. Once we get server stability and major quests fixed, like the hero quests, we'll better see what they have in store.

• JalitanJalitan Member UncommonPosts: 104

When a developer releases a beta version, it suposed to mean they believe they have a playable game, close to what it will be for launch, and they just need help finding bugs and tweaking things like balance. If all they did was re-release the same failed attempt from last time, it isn't a beta. It's an alpha version that requires another year or two or work before it can be declared beta.

I believe this was a both a money grab and marketing tactic to use "beta testers" as a focus group. Either way they win. They get money for nothing and hopefully data to prove to investors it is worth the cost to improve the game.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Jalitan

When a developer releases a beta version, it suposed to mean they believe they have a playable game, close to what it will be for launch, and they just need help finding bugs and tweaking things like balance. If all they did was re-release the same failed attempt from last time, it isn't a beta. It's an alpha version that requires another year or two or work before it can be declared beta.

I believe this was a both a money grab and marketing tactic to use "beta testers" as a focus group. Either way they win. They get money for nothing and hopefully data to prove to investors it is worth the cost to improve the game.

1st of all thats not what a beta is. 2nd you sound like a guy that gets into beta's to play not test so thats more than likely where that comes from. As for a money grab ........Going on my almost 7 years doing beta's and playing turbine games if you really think they were doing this for a money grab ...well your wrong. And I hope they do win Turbine/WB has been good to DDO/LOTRO for the most part and kept life in both games so why not give AC1/AC2 some love.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

You're expecting UI changes before they address stability issues? That is a wrong expectation.

You click on the continent in the game map to bring up a larger map of that content that you can scroll around on or have it auto follow you.

The server queues were for one night so far out of the entire time it has been up so that is a bit of an exageration.

They've just announced a patch so there goes the no patch complaint.

Most of your other complaints are on the style of the game, so that part is just odd. It is more of an open world explore and do stuff kind of game. Yes, a lot of that is killing. But I haven't had an empty quest log yet and have also had no problem leveling quickly without mob grinding.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Jalitan

While your expectations from beta are unrealistic, I don't blame you for having them. So many companies have used beta as a pure marketing tool that many people don't even realize what a beta is anymore, expecting a full playable game for free and getting disgruntled the minute they hit a snag.

The most classic example of this is during stress tests when you see scores of people saying the game is terrible because they couldn't play without lag or crashing.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

Need to sign here under because I have similar experience and share most of these thoughts.

I subbed for one reason only. terrible nostalgia.

But other than a good atmosphere which settled my memories, there wasn't all that much. Dunno maybe I could fall into it IF there weren't problems with server. As pointed out already, i too had very little success connecting to the server from EU and the few times I did there were almost always server crashes.

I kinda gave up, but if there were updates and stuff actually going on I'd probably play more.

Must say that I haven't researched about their plans, but so far it did leave a taste of money grab in my mouth, than again it's beta and there may be work in progress... a month isn't much development wise but I would expect something meaty if they want to keep rolling. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

lol @ my luck.

I tried logging in after I wrote the above post and I failed to connect a few times...bummer. Went to check their boards and server is down, first patch getting applied today.

• AngryBeaverAngryBeaver Member UncommonPosts: 46

I personally love the game and plan to continue playing. I just cant see why everyone comes here to bitch and troll about a Beta game they are playing for free. I like the fact that the whinners won't be playing in the future. 

If you want to play a game that holds your hand and you can just level without thinking go back to the norm MMO being released everyday since WOW. I personally hate them.

I am sooo excited to be playing AC2 again. The best part of all was Removing SWTOR ,Tera, GW2 among all the other WOW clones from my PC to have room for a real game again.

I wouldn't listen to the whinners that are here to bitch because they spend 5 minutes looking for a !  and can't find a circle on the map where the kill mobs are. 

I'll take AC2 over anything out there today and be a happy camper with the great community out there already. The beta is open to everyone subscribed to AC.

Woot! First Patch!

I wish i could play. Silly Work!

• KobaoKobao Member UncommonPosts: 27

If you focus on few flaws, like Ringside, of course it will suck. I find it refreshing that it's not too polished game, keeps things interesting. I don't see anything wrong with the UI. I've seen about every game's UI being called crappy, but I haven't agreed once. It's just matter of getting used to it, and a little characterful UI is bit more fun. Class balance is completely irrelevant at this point really, and bit unbalance is again, refreshing.

Beta is also beta, but I think it is completely playable right now, if you can tolerate some stability issues.

I believe the stability has been resolved no? Havent been able to play since "THe FIx" but that day i was logged in for 8 hours with no crash.

The Ui could use some updating. Like pops up to compare items and stuff like that. BUt it works fine how it is. I think everyone is looking for the ease of use that WOW brought us. The problem is with that Ui is brought on the leash quest running. Kill this collect this crap that has now started turning me off from a game in less than a week. I like to die and have consequenses from it. I miss the corpse runs from AC1. It brought me and my Alleigence together.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Stability has been great so far. Looking forward to see what plans Turbine has for Ac2. Still enjoying myself immensely.
    Originally posted by Kobao

If you focus on few flaws, like Ringside, of course it will suck. I find it refreshing that it's not too polished game, keeps things interesting. I don't see anything wrong with the UI. I've seen about every game's UI being called crappy, but I haven't agreed once. It's just matter of getting used to it, and a little characterful UI is bit more fun. Class balance is completely irrelevant at this point really, and bit unbalance is again, refreshing.

Beta is also beta, but I think it is completely playable right now, if you can tolerate some stability issues.

reviving a 10 years old game is great but one would expect that if you re release the same 10 years old ( live ) product and release it as a Beta state than you would think that they made something to justify the Beta state but other than struggling to make the server stable yet they havent done any major change prior to releasing their Beta. Only few men worked on getting the new hardware compatible with the game and Boom they released their BETA while everybody was home for holidays.

Beta are very good for marketing a game

however this time they should have called it alpha.

I have played a lot of other MMORPG's in the last 7-8 years and coming back to this one has been great. Having said that there are a few things that are slightly to extremely annoying and really taking away from gameplay for me. I feel fixing a few things would make gameplay much more enjoyable. Some of these could even be made to be options.

1. Not being able to move while holding down both mouse buttons is really driving me crazy. I've gotten used to playing this way in other games and coming back here, my hands feel tied.

2. Targeting is very awkward - I think the best thing to do here would be to make monsters that are closer in distance overlap the nameplate of monsters further away, or at least make it so they have priority. The way the nameplates stack is strange. I'm used to targeting with my mouse and it is very difficult to do that accurately and consistently in this game. Having to use the keyboard to target also makes my hands feel tied.

3. Movement feels "laggy" - I'm assuming this is acceleration, which I'm kind of OK with, it just feels different than any other game. I would prefer more of an instant movement.

4. Start auto-attacking after an offensive skill use. Remove the "lasso" effect from the auto-attack.

5. Pathing - sometimes mobs aren't even where they show on screen - or I'll start auto-attacking and end up 80 m away from where I thought I was going with no mob there.

6. The game kind of chokes or jumps from time to time and I have a system that would embarrass anything made 7 years ago.

7. Some animations are clunky, especially with different weapons.

8. The camera is a little awkward when zoomed out, especially in close quarters.

I'm not trying to be nit-picky here. I hope that some of these issues can be fixed, or options added for the same effect. I'm still having fun but I would love to have a better experience in game. Many thanks for bringing back a great title and here's to making it even better than before!