Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Avoiding the Wall

13»

Comments

• KoreanSoWhatKoreanSoWhat Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Housing is a nice system to have in a game, but it sucks as an end game endeavor.  On top of that, only three MMOs have done a decent job with housing; UO, SWG and Vanguard.  Anything short of real neighborhoods in the persistant world are pointless and certainly don't help make you feel attached to the game world in any meaningful way.

What UO SWG Vanguard failed was making houses into villages that have society. (Actually UO didn't totally fail but it kinda didn't work like real village life.)

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by jtcgs

As the newer video shows...There is no emperor, the three kindoms fight for control and players have a chance to have themselves crowned as the new emperor...worst thing an MMO can do is create player hierarchy's.

This takes the PvP ranking system to a whole new elitist level. This now smacks of a game focused on elitists.

Yep. And I guarantee you anyone playing in such a system will, at some point, be paying homage to Emperor KewlDewd, who is a 400 pound social pariah living in his mother's basement who can manage to pvp grind for 72 hours straight without relieving himself.

I agree, player heirarchies are terrible, especially when focused on pvp.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Originally posted by Fishmitts
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

MMo fans do not want to play this game because it looks like another WOW clone and Elder Scrolls fans do not want to play this game because it is nothing like the single player games.

So they managed to piss off two player bases....yea, this game is going nowhere.

The people who have played the game that have posted their thoughts say the game plays EXACTLY like TES. As a matter of fact, they said they forgot they were playing an MMO until they saw other players. Do you people research anything before you post your shit?

Ye and I heard it doesnt play EXACTLY like TES... it's hard to choose a random people on the internet to trust these days huh ?

Even if it did play EXACTLY like TES, it hardly matters anyway. To hear people rave about GW2 or SWTOR when they played it for 30 min at a convention or demo, you would think these games were the best thing ever. Turns out you have to play a game a bit longer and let that shine wear off....

Even if it played like TES, so what? How does it play when you have been playing  a week? A month? I suspect it will be like all the others.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    should stick with lore discussion. otherwise the game sounds exactly like GW2. good for those like me who like it, bad for the rest of your readers.

Wow yeah...I havent been keeping up with TESO, but watching some videos and developer commentaries...its a rip off of GW2.  "dynamic" world, or parts of it dynamic.  Small amount of abilitieis....combat where people can interact with eachother like a healing floor that someone can walk into to use...Sounds pretty damn close to GW2.

• chriswsmchriswsm Member UncommonPosts: 383

To quote the OP

Elder Scrolls Online must not only give fans of their vaunted series a compelling narrative and world to explore, but they must give them the freedom to explore that world in any way they wish.

~~~~~

I couldnt agree more.  The limitations to your faction zone and PVP zones is a huge bugbear for me.  I will still play the game as I enjoyed DAOC and this is going to be Scrolls flavour DAOC however i left DAOC years ago for a reason.  I had explored everywhere in Hibernia and the PVP zone and had a choice to create a new toon in a different zone of DAOC or a new toon in a different game.

I went with the different game and I can see myself making the same decision in the long run with TESO

I used to visit this site a lot however in recent years it has become the home of negative forum posts, illogical opinions and tantrums so I visit less often.

Played or Beta'd: UO / DAOC / Horizons / EQ2 / DDO / EVE / Archlord / PirateKingsOnline / Tabula Rasa / LOTRO / AOC / Champions / Darkfall / Mortal Online / DCUO / Rift / STO / SWTOR / TSW

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

A few things;

It believe is IMPERATIVE that characters of any faction can go into other faction areas...

IMPERATIVE...

I would suggest (at this late stage) putting 'disguise kits' in the game which change a characters appearance just enough to let them travel elsewhere and do the quests and dungeons etc.

These would be one-shot items which take a head slot and give no stat bonsues etc. so it wouldn't be a first choice - but would give a variety of challenge.

Spying quests could give an opportunity to go as well - "Lord X's tomb has been discovered in the Al'Akir desert and we want YOU to loot it before the accursed enemy". Then you get 'smuggled' to it and can't stray too far before getting ambushed by gaurds - but hey - it would give access to other regions in a controlled and metaplot appropriate way.

It would be pretty easy to program too.

Guild Halls are a must-have, period. Player housing is not so important as long as the Guild Halls are large and extensive and give everyone a long period of building and customisation to get their teeth into.

These things should not be glossed over or ignored - they are important to longevity.

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Problem with elder scrolls is whether the gameplay is any good (we won't know for a while), and the fact that it might be a free-2-play hell with in-game wall-to-wall advertising and a buy-2-win full-on in-game cash shop. IP is not enough for this sailor to sign their x on the dotted line with yet.
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    /agree, Bill.  Good points and good read.  Hope Zmax is doing the same.
  • MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

A few things;

It believe is IMPERATIVE that characters of any faction can go into other faction areas...

IMPERATIVE...

I would suggest (at this late stage) putting 'disguise kits' in the game which change a characters appearance just enough to let them travel elsewhere and do the quests and dungeons etc.

These would be one-shot items which take a head slot and give no stat bonsues etc. so it wouldn't be a first choice - but would give a variety of challenge.

Spying quests could give an opportunity to go as well - "Lord X's tomb has been discovered in the Al'Akir desert and we want YOU to loot it before the accursed enemy". Then you get 'smuggled' to it and can't stray too far before getting ambushed by gaurds - but hey - it would give access to other regions in a controlled and metaplot appropriate way.

It would be pretty easy to program too.

Guild Halls are a must-have, period. Player housing is not so important as long as the Guild Halls are large and extensive and give everyone a long period of building and customisation to get their teeth into.

These things should not be glossed over or ignored - they are important to longevity.

I totally agree about factions not being land blocked, that for me is the real nail in the coffin and if it doesn't change is probably why I will not get it. Petty some may think but the freedom of exploration is the main reason I love to play the TES games.

I would prefer they change it so that faction choice is something done after character creation. From the get go, they have forced any character I create in the game to CHOOSE a side in the fight. I don't want to choose, or at the very least I want the option to choose when I feel ready to do so.

Choose race, choose starting location, play. During play the ption to choose faction (default racial but option to 'defect') and fight in the war (PvP).

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by Bill Murphy

... dungeons ... Some will be public spaces like the one we were treated to, and others still will be more traditional “instanced” adventures that tell a story for a small group or raid.

He, Bill, it's the other way round: public dungeons are the traditional dungeons, not the instanced ones. Blizzard didn't invent the MMORPG. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.