Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is it "Dynamic"? Did I not playing it far enough?

madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

I don't find anything in GW2 to be dynamic. I always thought dynamic meant "ever changing" and static always meant "always the same". 

The events for instance, they aren't very random, they are always the same ones, and they always do the same thing. That doesn't feel dynamic to me at all! Now to be fair, I didn't play too far in the game. I think I leveled up to may 30 or 40 before growing bored. Too me the game was more of the same except now my quests were in that undiscovered part of the map where  a quest giver would of typically sent me anyways. I even found combat to be pretty well much the same.

Now GW2 is an alright game, at least up until the point I played. But does it get better? Does it get truly dynamic? I am going to play it again one day (Yay B2P), so I'll eventually find out for myself. But it'll be a long while off.

Comments

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Its all marketing hype, the whole game was really.  The events are repeating and predictable, the AH simplistic and boring, classes, a frighfully small skill pool.  Super repetative combat, heavily instanced gameworld.  Console inspired quick travel.

The graphics turned out to be the hightlight of this game, they look terrible in the screenshots but werent half bad in the game.  I pop in now and then , but it just doesnt feel like a big persistant world.  Feels more like a single player game with a multiplayer component.

• creepzcreepz Member Posts: 17

I hit 80 and maxed 2 professions in the first week after launch. After that there was not much for me to do because I couldn't increase my stats anymore ( armor and weapons at 80 are all the same).

I didn't feel like playing anymore, just to change the way my char looks ... 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Dynamic implies different outcomes. At the very basic it means that you either succeed at accomplishing objective X or fail at it. Some of the better event chains will have different paths that are created because of different actions in the primary events. For example. One event requires you find Dwarven artifacts from the lake. Once you've collected enough artifacts and return them the NPC will return to his inn. Another NPC will walk up and discuss some of the artifacts that were collected for a moment, then some pirate NPC's will come and demand the artifact spawning a dynamic event. If you manage to fend off the pirates (succeed) the innkeeper will call for transport and another event will start requiring people to guard the transport, and another event further down the chain after that. If you do not succeed at fending off the pirates, then they will take the artifact and the chain will go in a different direction.

That is one example.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

No, OP, it doesnt get any "better."   The content you have experienced up to the point where you are now, is very similar to what you will experience on the road to 80.

If your impression is that the content isnt dynamic up to level 30, then it will not seem dynamic to you afterwards.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    It seems that Dynamic events in MMO's are starting to become, recuring events. Sort of like a popular song on a top 40 station, same song every hour on the hour.
  • CylintCylint Member UncommonPosts: 18

I still play GW2, I still enjoy it. However, it's hype of dynamic world changing events are just one more example of the crap spewed by marking and developers of games alike. The only dynamic game so far is EVE - if your a fan of "Here's a spaceship - now fuck you!". The game is a step in the right direction, especially with the reward for exploration and the eradication of Quest Hubs. They did a lot right when they built this game, and if you like it then it's all good, but don't believe the hype.

Guild Wars 2 will be the Zero Hour for many games to come. Those that don't follow what they did right will design their games at their peril. Those that deliver on some of the promises hyped for GW2 will reap the rewards.

• Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

I found it surprising that so many were disappointed by the so-called 'dynamic events.' It was evident from the beginning that the only way to achieve the intended dynamics was through running events in a circular fashion, at its most complex where multiple individual circular chains intersect and interact.

That's pretty much all one can hope to achieve without the use of a live game-master fashioning the events in real-time.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    the Cake is a (scripted,  re-occurring) Lie.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by muffins89
    the Cake is a (scripted,  re-occurring) Lie.

tastier cake since wow launched, at least.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Way better then quests, but the problem is that they need to add more events to feel more alive, now sometimes I need to w8 for event to start and it may take a while. Not all are interesting and very original, but its not possible to be.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Dynamic only mean something is moving, it's changing. Static it's always the same, standing still.

Quests in other games, the npc stays at the same place 24/7, all mobs at the same place, same objectives etc.

Dynamic Events are dynamic and the combat is more dynamic than anything.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

DEs are a replacement for quests. They were never hyped as continuosly changing in the way you want them to be. The "dynamic" part of their name refers to multiple outcomes, their often world-affecting nature, them changing based on the number of players present and to the ability to start a DE in a random spot of the world (usually in WvW).

DEs work exactly as promised.

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

Dynamic only mean something is moving, it's changing. Static it's always the same, standing still.

Quests in other games, the npc stays at the same place 24/7, all mobs at the same place, same objectives etc.

WoW has moving quest givers as well as patroling mobs. So by your definition, WoW beat GW2 to being dynamic by about 8 years?

OBVIOUSLY, that's not what dynamic means in this context. GW2 has branching events which are basically auto-accepted chain quests with (very few) branching paths. Note that the auto-accept part is the extent of innovation here.

But when you say it like that, instead of using a fancy word like Dynamic Events; who's gonna care? Hype rules this industry. People are so easily misled.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Trueforral1

I found it surprising that so many were disappointed by the so-called 'dynamic events.' It was evident from the beginning that the only way to achieve the intended dynamics was through running events in a circular fashion, at its most complex where multiple individual circular chains intersect and interact.

That's pretty much all one can hope to achieve without the use of a live game-master fashioning the events in real-time.

I think given Anet's pre-release hype, we expected them to be a little more complex and on a larger scale.  Most of them are just 2 or 3 different states repeated ad nauseum.  Defend camp, retake camp, repeat, with no wider zone implications if players win or lose.  To me it feels no more dynamic than War and even a little less than Rift.     

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Scarfe

I think given Anet's pre-release hype, we expected them to be a little more complex and on a larger scale.  Most of them are just 2 or 3 different states repeated ad nauseum.  Defend camp, retake camp, repeat, with no wider zone implications if players win or lose.  To me it feels no more dynamic than War and even a little less than Rift.     

I don't know which pre-release hype you're referring to, but I knew beforehand that there's 1000+ events in the game.  They were also announced to be persistent, not permanent, and cyclical in nature. Considering the size of the zones that is a lacking number. ANet was asked if they could bump it up a notch so events wouldn't be ultimately cyclical, to which Colin replied that for that to be possible they'd have to hire more event designers.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

I don't know which pre-release hype you're referring to, but I knew beforehand that there's 1000+ events in the game.  They were also announced to be persistent, not permanent, and cyclical in nature. Considering the size of the zones that is a lacking number. ANet was asked if they could bump it up a notch so events wouldn't be ultimately cyclical, to which Colin replied that for that to be possible they'd have to hire more event designers.

I can't say I am on first name terms with the developers, I don't lunch with them that often, so I'll bow down to your greater insight. 

Originally posted by dimnikar
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

WoW has moving quest givers as well as patroling mobs. So by your definition, WoW beat GW2 to being dynamic by about 8 years?

OBVIOUSLY, that's not what dynamic means in this context. GW2 has branching events which are basically auto-accepted chain quests with (very few) branching paths. Note that the auto-accept part is the extent of innovation here.

But when you say it like that, instead of using a fancy word like Dynamic Events; who's gonna care? Hype rules this industry. People are so easily misled.

The world doesn't change does it? mobs in WoW move, but they always walk at the same place, npcs handing out the same quest/s.

What i meant is dynamic events move forward, like a tree and it branches and changes the world around them and what mobs are there and the objectives of the dynamic events.

WoW is a horrible game, Blizzard should feel ashamed.

• SwampDragonsSwampDragons Member UncommonPosts: 352

I have only played the game for a few days but I guess the dynamic world is that I can run around in diffrent areas and there are all kinds of events happening.

I really enjoy this part as I can go to a area and things can be diffrent, bandits are attacking etc.

Can't say for the rest but I really enjoy the way they have handeled the quests in this game and it does make the world fell more alive and dynamic and I can really see they have put a lot of time and effort in to this game.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    They scale depending on player activity = Dynamic.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    It is dynamic if you move about a lot but if you are in an area for too long the events keep repeating themselves then you will see it is not so dynamic, just a cycle. But hey it is better than what other games offer. Rift was okay too in that aspect. Although that Giant in Nagrand was it was coming far too often like every 30 mins or so,that got old real fast.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

I can't say I am on first name terms with the developers, I don't lunch with them that often, so I'll bow down to your greater insight. 

Lol.

Anyway, everything I said can be found here:

http://www.arena.net/blog/colin-johanson-answers-your-dynamic-event-questions

It's a 2010 article.

"If we wanted every event we designed to run only once, we’d need to hire approximately 100,000 people to make enough events to fill GW2."

"Dynamic events are cyclical in nature, yes."

Lol.

It's a 2010 article.

"If we wanted every event we designed to run only once, we’d need to hire approximately 100,000 people to make enough events to fill GW2."

We all knew they would have to be cyclical, that's a given.  I wonder where the 'large event chains' are?  These are what I was expecting and failed to find in game. 

Lol.

It's a 2010 article.

We all knew they would have to be cyclical, that's a given.  I wonder where the 'large event chains' are?  These are what I was expecting and failed to find in game. 

Harathi Hinterlands have the largest event chains, go there.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Most faction warfare events, I guess. Orr and the Centaurs are the famous ones, but there's also Flame Legion and the Branded. They're not as fun as they could've been and definitely something I'd like ANet to improve in the future. Especially Orr. That place is a mess.

Come to think of it, Orr's problem is that it's too dynamic. The whole area is a huge event chain and that causes major problems, like player population being very/too important, victory causing a boring stalemate with nothing for players to do and losing causing the whole area to become practically inaccessible via waypoint travel.

Originally posted by Scalpless

Most faction warfare events, I guess. Orr and the Centaurs are the famous ones, but there's also Flame Legion and the Branded. They're not as fun as they could've been and definitely something I'd like ANet to improve in the future. Especially Orr. That place is a mess.

Yeah Orr need to be made less chaotic. Need bigger battles, siege weapons, castles and sea warfare.