Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will be an EPIC fail

Comments

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

People really need to stop speculating and comeing out with spurios crap and if they want the real information start by trawling through the Hero Engine site and the forums which garners more info about projects especially as most are in Alpha,and our devs are open and honest  and the community is always ready to help out a potential player on the official forums.

Also they will then understand the Hero Engine's mechanics and how it is a complete platform for devs to develop and since one Repop dev JC is in Thailand  then  the Engine becomes paramount to the game being made as the devs are not huddled in a shed in one place but spread across the globe,but Hero allows seemless communication and application of code on the fly which is pretty handy to say the least when codeing such a massive game as Repop.

And Marlon B,is quite correct I have Alpha tested a very early  sandbox Hero game Dominus,and was in awe with the scope of the enviroments if  I could see something in the distance I could actually get to it because that's how the game was coded,but unlike SWTOR they used the traditional running through a maze enviroment that eventually led out of the boxed in maze to get the bit of cheese at the other end pretty much Themepark and did not utilise the engines potential.

And lastly the graphics for Dominus which were very early alpha Hero 1,good as they were did not have the benefit of the new engine and as I have only seen pictures of Hero 2 can still not comment but as Repop as pretty much taken up the mantle of flagship game for Hero the pics on the Hero Engine 2 promo page look pretty darn good to say the least check out the 4 segmented pics here.

http://www.heroengine.com/2012/11/heroengine-2-empowers-indie-game-developers%E2%80%99-to-focus-on-creativity/

p>
  • CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by darker70

People really need to stop speculating and comeing out with spurios crap and if they want the real information start by trawling through the Hero Engine site and the forums which garners more info about projects especially as most are in Alpha,and our devs are open and honest  and the community is always ready to help out a potential player on the official forums.

Also they will then understand the Hero Engine's mechanics and how it is a complete platform for devs to develop and since one Repop dev JC is in Thailand  then  the Engine becomes paramount to the game being made as the devs are not huddled in a shed in one place but spread across the globe,but Hero allows seemless communication and application of code on the fly which is pretty handy to say the least when codeing such a massive game as Repop.

And Marlon B,is quite correct I have Alpha tested a very early  sandbox Hero game Dominus,and was in awe with the scope of the enviroments if  I could see something in the distance I could actually get to it because that's how the game was coded,but unlike SWTOR they used the traditional running through a maze enviroment that eventually led out of the boxed in maze to get the bit of cheese at the other end pretty much Themepark and did not utilise the engines potential.

And lastly the graphics for Dominus which were very early alpha Hero 1,good as they were did not have the benefit of the new engine and as I have only seen pictures of Hero 2 can still not comment but as Repop as pretty much taken up the mantle of flagship game for Hero the pics on the Hero Engine 2 promo page look pretty darn good to say the least check out the 4 segmented pics here.

http://www.heroengine.com/2012/11/heroengine-2-empowers-indie-game-developers%E2%80%99-to-focus-on-creativity/

I'm seeing Awesonium support in there as well, that's VERY interesting. I'm debating making a new thread just to highlight this article.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Phry

Saying the game will fail because of the size of the workforce is probably one of the most bizarre ones of all, it just means it will take them longer to develope the core game mechanics etc. The OP also seems to have overlooked a rather significant factor that reduces his 'content shortage' argument to the point of being ridiculous, ie. its a sandbox game, and while themepark games thrive on content, sandbox games provide tools instead of, which the players use to create their own, Eve does this, as did SWG before they tried to turn it into a themepark.

Well done OP for watching a few videos and still somehow totally missing the crux of the game. Awesome image

This. I could see the OP point if this was a themepark game, but it isn't. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• chymoschymos Member Posts: 3

Sure it'll tank....if by tank you're referring to the Unholy Trinity of fighting PvE bosses in all the WoW-clone themepark MMOs (tank/dps/heal).  Using that meaning, it will also DPS the pants off the way WoW taught people to view MMOs.  And it will heal the genre in general, hopefully bringing an end to the WoW-clone model of creating an MMO.

Honestly, I get bored with WoW clones to the point of quitting by the time I hit level 20...

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree with the OP that a small dev team will have problems creating enough content to keep players happy. But this only goes for lineair themepark style content, where only the devs create new content.

But if the dev team instead decides to create sandbox features, like player city building, nation creating, creature taming, they basically create the content creation tools for players to use. This adds way more replayability then lineair questlines. And is something even a smaller dev team can keep up with.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

Funny i actually am looking for games made by small teams you wanna know why cause how many AAA quality wow copies can you play before you wanna shoot your monitor, the fact that so many 'potentially'  great sandbox games are in the works is a great thing, we might actually see some innovation trickle up to the AAA MMO's which these days are failing left and right.

Secondly those of us that have done real beta testing and not the demo COD crap beta's know that movement is always clunky and the AI's are dumb as dirt during alpha footage. I mean next why don't we complain that no hi-res textures are in the game.....well ya those things all go in later in production.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    I can't help but wonder about the fear that the possible success of this title seems to inspire.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Atrocitus

First off, I am NOT, repeat, NOT in alpha/beta/whatever...Got it? In NO WAY HAVE I PLAYED THIS GAME YET......

It is my believe that your opinion is inconsequential, irrelevant and not worth reading, based on the following logical assertion:

You have close to zero knowledge of this particular game based on your own admission and you expect others to believe that your opinion on this subject has value?

It is like saying that I am going to give a lecture on genetic engineering while I have absolutely no interest in the field and my field of study and work have absolutely no relevance to genetic engineering (or even medicine at all).

• KaylettaJadeKaylettaJade Member UncommonPosts: 144
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    I can't help but wonder about the fear that the possible success of this title seems to inspire.

It is odd, isn't it?

I hear all the negative stuff being thrown around and it all comes across as those random crazy religious nut jobs in parody  movies that walk around saying, "Dooooooom! Doooooom I tell you!"

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    i didnt read through the 9 page thread so far but someone should tell the OP that minecraft had a one person development team :P

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    No, its going to fail because its the spiritual successor to Swg. I am going to be rather surprised if it keeps a playerbase larger than 30-50k honestly.

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    No, its going to fail because its the spiritual successor to Swg. I am going to be rather surprised if it keeps a playerbase larger than 30-50k honestly.

"Uh that makes no sense, over."

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Atrocitus
    Regarding 'size of the team/budget'....

So automating/reusage in quest content can allow for more content? Perhaps, but logic dictates repeating quest types will become boring after the first 30 runs.

Questing, generally speaking, is something that players are tired of, much less repeated quest type. And it can be argued that questing is a very shallow content base. In this day and age, games are moving away from this old method of keeping players busy.

Again, in two weeks time, after players have done the requisite kill and collect quest or whatever, that type of 'content' will not add to this games allure. Same ol' same ol.....I can hear the players crying now..../shrug

So your argument about computer generated questing giving players something to do? Doesn't hold up......There has to be content, A LOT of it to keep players after the initial launch. There simply are not enough workers to contribute to the overall game.

How you deem 'artwork' as content is beyond me.

Regarding Hero Engine.

Lack of customization is absolutely horrible. Players can't stand looking like the guy next to him. The only mmo that did this right was Aion. And lets face it, The Repop is no Aion when it comes to customization, or alot of other things for that matter.

Horrible graphics, zero customization and watching a pvp slideshow will do nothing to help this game.....

Horrid AI? The oft repeated ITS IN ALPHA hurp/durp excuse isn't going to be enough when this game launches. You and I both know there won't be any massive upgrading in that dept before launch. Be honest.......

Customer service? You glossed over that point......Again, a small work force won't be able to handle the complaints and problems after launch.

Your lack of a larger dev team will be mired in bug squishing eternally. If you think your launching with a lack of content, wait until two months down the road when people are wondering where the content updates are, and your still dealing with alpha bugs......

SImply put, this game has too many negatives going against it....../shrug

Atrocitus' logic is sound. Good luck to the game, I will keep an (skeptical) eye on it.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by jimdandy26

50k seems to be very good though when you have low development costs

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by MarlonB

If you refer to the engine being crap as being used in SWTOR, they used a heavily modified 7 year old version where the HE devs have kept telling them not to do it.

Hate to break it to you, but the current version of Hero isn't all that great either.

Anyway, the game isn't going to do well because it's developed by an underfunded group of amateurs worknig on their pet project.  As a result, it will lack any kind of wide-spread appeal.  If you think large studio dev's have a hard time listening to player feedback and fixing things reported in betas, you've never dealt with an indie studio so focused on their project that any criticism against it is taken personally rather than professionally.  It's a mess.

Repopulation will eventually get released and it will... not do much else.  I'm sure there will be a small set of players that love it the way a hipster loves some random shitty 40's swing band, but the game itself will essentially be stuck in a "beta" phase for it's entire lifespan.

In a lot of ways, it will mirror the fate of Darkfall.

You make me like charity

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

SWTOR had a huge dev house and they released a very mediocre product relative to budget and manpower.  From what I have seen and read they have an ambitious plan, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.  A little optimism costs me nothing, and it is vaguely to familiar to this SWG vet.

Originally posted by asmkm22

If you refer to the engine being crap as being used in SWTOR, they used a heavily modified 7 year old version where the HE devs have kept telling them not to do it.

Hate to break it to you, but the current version of Hero isn't all that great either.

So you're saying you've extensively worked with the current HE version for the entire 3 weeks its been out, right?

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by asmkm22

Anyway, the game isn't going to do well because it's developed by an underfunded group of amateurs worknig on their pet project.  As a result, it will lack any kind of wide-spread appeal.  If you think large studio dev's have a hard time listening to player feedback and fixing things reported in betas, you've never dealt with an indie studio so focused on their project that any criticism against it is taken personally rather than professionally.  It's a mess.

Repopulation will eventually get released and it will... not do much else.  I'm sure there will be a small set of players that love it the way a hipster loves some random shitty 40's swing band, but the game itself will essentially be stuck in a "beta" phase for it's entire lifespan.

In a lot of ways, it will mirror the fate of Darkfall.

"Anyway, the game isn't going to do well because it's developed by an underfunded group of amateurs"

Read their forum, each have been doing what they do for over a decade. Underfunded, they raised 50k in 30 days of Kickstarter, they have continued to offer the same Kickstarter packages on their site, it' been months since, how do you know how much money they raised? 

As a result, it will lack any kind of wide-spread appeal.

Hmm lets see, they are number 2 for most anticipated game on this site, I see 2 frontpage articles about Repop on Massively, and you are posting in their thread and don't even like the game. Looks like it has plenty appeal in alpha stages than most games I have seen.

but the game itself will essentially be stuck in a "beta" phase for it's entire lifespan.

The game isn't even out of alpha, and it has naysyers posting in their related threads, put down the crystal ball man. Obviously it's popularity is growing faster than the  negative comments in this thread.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Can I get an invite yet?! :D

The OP got me all excited for this game.  I'm sure it's the opposite effect of what he intended.  Thanks for that, even if you didn't mean it.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • CreepProphetCreepProphet Member Posts: 104
    Originally posted by Melkrow

Can I get an invite yet?! :D

The OP got me all excited for this game.  I'm sure it's the opposite effect of what he intended.  Thanks for that, even if you didn't mean it.

That's just awesome.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Why do we even bother to argue this game.

The people who will play it would play a game of being a stick rubbing against another stick... And the rest (roughly 8/10 of the gaming population) would not touch it with one of the earlier mentioned sticks.

And no matter how good of a sandbox it is the SWG vets will not be happy.

That is how it is and i wish them the best of luck.

This have been a good conversation

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Just a quick note.  The OP said himself that the development team and budget are small.  How is it possible for such a small group's venture to be an EPIC FAIL?  Shouldn't caps and the words EPIC FAIL be used for the big companies with AAA titles?  I think Mr. OP might be going a bit overboard with his intrawebs vocabulary.  Or I could just be cranky and in need of a cup of coffee.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    well they could fail on all their listed goals... that would be rather epic since most games at least hit some notes.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess
    well they could fail on all their listed goals... that would be rather epic since most games at least hit some notes.

A great many of the features are already in game and working, so failing at the entire goal list just isn't possible.

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305

Don't expect too much from any MMO. It's the best thing that I can tell you from my experience.

Hype is usually sky high until the game is released. Then comes the frustration of not being able to log on the servers due to lag or bugs. And after that, some players reach the end-game content. There are two possibilities: the game is designed to be fun at any level, which usually leads to shallow content at high level, or the game is focused in the final stage of every character. This usually makes the middle-game quite dull, but if the last part is enjoyable, then some players are going to make the investment profitable and the game will survive.

This discussion has been closed.