Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Som's Games of 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week we took a look back at the year that was and listed our favorite games. This week we turn to the year ahead and the games that have us sitting on pins and needles in anticipation. Each staff member will have his (or her!) day and we move on to Som for today's installment. See what's got Som all of a dither and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

I like being outdoors as much as the next person, and I'm thinking of building a weather-resistant PC setup in my backyard so that I can play all of this year's MMOs while still enjoying the sunshine.  There are more than a few high-profile titles coming out soon that are all worth tracking, and here are five of my personal must-watch games of 2013.

Read Som's Games of 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Geeze, Som.  Way to copy me. :P

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Oh noes all other writers are bill clones ;) wheres a sandbox writer!
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Wicoa
    Oh noes all other writers are bill clones ;) wheres a sandbox writer!

I'll give them credit that at least one game in there is a sandbox. But, that is a good question. Is any writer here predominantly a sandbox gamer? 

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Another one not waiting for ArcheAge.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• sominatorsominator Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 53

@Bill: great minds...

@Wicoa: I'm actually playing Age of Wushu right now and enjoying it...but I can't say no to those other five games either. =)

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    With the exception of Darkfall this would be my list.

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Almost a perfect match to my list, just drop Darkfall and put Wildstar instead :)
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Another one not waiting for ArcheAge.

Contrary to popular belief not everyone is a sandbox fan especially considering AA is basically WoW combat 2.0

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

To be fair, I'm ALSO really looking forward to Origins of Malu, but it didn't make my top 5.  So if we stretch to 6... that's three and three.

And I could go on for ages.

I'm of the mind that an MMO gamer needn't be one or the other (sandbox or themepark). In fact, it behooves everyone to try everything.  But that's just me.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Playing Darkfall and Lotro is still my plan for 2013 but will keep an eye on this site to see if Neverwinter and ESO can walk the talk.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Can't wait for defiance.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I just realised my comment sounded sarcastic in the wrong light I was moon lighting on what bill said in his first comment ;).
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

The games I'm looking forward to this year are Wildstar and FF 14 A Realm Reborn.  I'm iffy about both, but for different reasons.

Wildstar looks great, and looks to be a lot of fun.  But its publisher is NCsoft... Who has a past track record of closing five or six western games. 

Since these games tend to be quite an investment time wise, that makes me a bit concerned.  Especially after their antics with Tabula Rasa (which ended up costing them $32 million, when they lost the law suit with Richard Garret) and the recent closing of City of Heros.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/

FF14 also looks like fun, and I'm looking forward to what Yoshi P has managed to do.  The qestion is, will enough people give the game a second chance, for it to become a success?  I hope so, as it does look like fun.  But only time will tell.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • BrynnBrynn Member Posts: 345
    Isn't anyone interested in Repopulation? It will be sandbox, skill based, much like the original SWG. Beta to begin this Spring.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

The repopulation for me..

I was looking forward to DF:UW.. but i have now changed my mind, still i have paid up for the first month when it eventually gets released so who knows AV might be able to turn things around LOL..

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Firefall - looks great, I think I could get into it, ..... This founders pack though, does anyone feel like it will have to great of an impact for people that are on the fence about investing in Firefall ? I sort of feel like it does and when I think about playing it, its right there in the back of my mind.