Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Name a game that isn't an mmo, that you wish was

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Saint's Row 3

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• shirlntshirlnt Member UncommonPosts: 351

There are probably several games that have the potential to be good MMOs, but it's all in how it is done.  For me, Elder Scrolls would make a good sandbox-y, open world, with player cities game.  I didn't get vary far into Morrowind but the different "guilds" would be an interesting addition to an MMO.  If I remember correct, a person could be a part of multiple "guilds" in the game.  Since guilds in MMOs have a different meaning than they did in Morrowind, the name would probably need to be changed but the concept of having groups associated with classes that players could be associated with, get quests from, and work their way up the ranks would work in a game where one could mix and match or learn multiple classes.

The problem with games that are designed originally as single player games is developers sometimes don't know how to tweak the game to transition it from single player to multiplayer. I saw this in The Sims Online.  As popular as The Sims is/was, it had the potential to be a good online game but it seemed to keep too many of the single player concepts and did not add enough multi-player concepts.  True, there were those that enjoyed it, but the population sank a lot faster than it should have.  Another example I saw brought up is many times in single player games the player is THE hero of the story. To transition to a multi-player game, there needs to be other roles and THE hero of the story should not be a player character,  This could be handled in one of two ways: either have multiple "heroes" make sense in the online version or have the online version be about what is going on in the world while the one hero story is happening (example: if the hero is saving the world and becoming king, the players may be leading their own lives by killing local wildlife and enemies, they may be fighting battles along side the hero, or they may be crafting goods and entertaining/healing those who are fighting).

• VenthexVenthex Member UncommonPosts: 11

Definetly .Hack

But since SAO will be a single player game soon...

SAO in a mmo.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by mrvader010
    A fallout mmo would be fun if done right. Wasn't there one in the making?

http://blackisle.com/

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I'm going to have to go with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning on this.  The single player game was alot of fun and if they could of captured the essence of that combat in an MMO it would of been wonderful.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

A Bard's Tale

Wizardry  (An actual MMO, not the dungeon hack / hardcore monstrosity that SOE is making.)

A full fledged 3D and upgraded Ultima Online

AD&D fully realized Forgotten Realms world (An actual MMO, not another dungeon hack)

Dragon Age

Chronicles of Riddick

Vampire:  The Masquerade

Dune

Never made into a game list:

Wheel of Time Series

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Series

The Sword of Truth Series

The Sword of Shannara Series and or Knight of the Word Series

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

Oregon Trail.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• TolgeranthTolgeranth Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Rift the pnp game. Come on Kevin license that game already, I got a hankering for fragging some coalition dog boys......
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Daggerfall, still the most massive RPG to date (even though it took random dungeons to a new level).
  • allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124
    gw2
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Thats easy ? All my favorite games:

- Baldurs Gate 2

- Neverwinter Nights 2

- Vampire: Bloodlines

- Star Wars: The Knights of the Old Republic

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Tolgeranth
    Rift the pnp game. Come on Kevin license that game already, I got a hankering for fragging some coalition dog boys......

I could play that. Rumor is that he licensed it 2-3 years ago, but Kevin have refused to comment on it...

The dogboys are easy, their Psistalker on the other hand might be worse.

• MidniteHowlMidniteHowl Member UncommonPosts: 149
    Zork. That is all LOL!
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Battlefield 3.

With better PVP than Planetside 2 (not just territory control), and with expansive PVE (instances or "raids" like BF3s underdeveloped - but awesome - COOP mode).

I'm quite done with fantasy MMOs. Let this be the age of the MMOFPS.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Any that was solid and sandboxy, that actually requires reliability on the community for players to achieve goals, Epic moments that I felt from older MMO's, soloing should be kept to the minimum. Player driven world. A great single player game doesnt gaurantee a great MMO.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by skamper

Easily,

Borderlands MMO

This game would be beyond amazing in an mmorpg format. It would be something new and fresh that would make Firefall and Planetside 2 look pathetic.

This and nothing else.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Classic Unreal would be interesting.  PVE RPG shooter.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

Skyrim Online

Naruto Online

Bleach Online

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
  • crowley401crowley401 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    i wan't Star Wars The Old Republic to be a Real MMORPG not the "mmo bioware made from it"
  • Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Planescape: Torment / Baldur's Gate

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

a song of fire and ice (Game of Thrones)

I guess I could use it because there is a game made about it :P

Anyway it's lore rich. You have plenty of places you could start this game at. It also a very good setting for a sandbox game or a themepark game. For the sandbox you could start when human first tried to settle the lands. Also it said in the books that the history we know from the books have been written 1000s of years after the events happened. So lore-wise it would be perfect. You have some bounderies, but a lot of space still to create your own story.

As a themepark also has multilply entry points. Could even be a themepark with a lot of sandboxy features. I would take the start of the war of the 7 kingdoms. Seems like a interesting moment in Westeros history for a themepark games or maybe after the creating of the 7 families. Might make for a interesting politcal simulation aspect to it. Players could be lesser nobility or something, being able to become commanders or even be granted a castle/keep or whatever and using this way get some power to control the politics. 

I do not have much faith in the MMO being created right now. I though Battlestar Galactica was a well made game and I am sure that the MMO of a song of fire and ice will be oke, but doubt it will be the MMO it could be.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Everyone's going rpgs, which I fear would just get "wowed up"

Im going to go with
    Minecraft
    Hotline Miami
    Terraria
    Magic carpet
    Elite (yay is happening)
    Freespace 2
    Portal
    Stalker
    Company of heroes
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Originally posted by jtcgs

Seriously guys...

Grand Theft Auto Vice City.

Imagine the chaos of players pulling other players out of their rides...people running all over with missile launchers taking on an army of police...or the army...blowing the carp out of the city...

Quest: slap x amount of hoe's = 100 people running around slapping every hoe in sight.

A GTA MMO was already done. It is called APB and it was designed by David Jones who was one of the original creators of GTA.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Red Dead Redemption, or a MMO set in the Wild West