Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the Crickets?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Originally posted by Ridan477
    They are doing Character wipes every week so it leaves me with little incentive to play. Probably same with others as well.

Thankfully, some people are treating it like an actual BETA and not a free trial. image

if it were an actual beta you wouldnt have to pay to participate in it ^^

I didnt pay anything for the beta!  I paid for DFUW and one free month AFTER release for a staggering $15. imageWhich just happened to included the BETA and reserving my name.

https://ams.darkfallonline.com/AMS/

I thought original Darkfall subscribers got Unholy Wars for free?  Or did you slip up and really mean the game was free and the 15 bucks was for the first subscription month?  So hard to keep track when the story changes so incredibly quickly with Darkfall fans depending on which story makes the company look slightly less shitty at the time :)

By the way, what other methods besides payment existed for getting access to the beta?  Or is it kinda a closed beta but only allows in people who pay?  You know, not a paid beta, just one that only people who pay can get into?

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the NGE.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Depends how you want to look at it.

The game was free and we paid $15 for the first month subscription.

or

The game cost $15 and came with a one month subscription.

Either way it is the same thing, and just shows that AV made sure to reward previous customers.

Just because somebody says one of the two things above... does not change anything.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    They are doing Character wipes every week so it leaves me with little incentive to play. Probably same with others as well.

Thankfully, some people are treating it like an actual BETA and not a free trial. image

I didnt pay anything for the beta!  I paid for DFUW and one free month AFTER release for a staggering $15. imageWhich just happened to included the BETA and reserving my name.

https://ams.darkfallonline.com/AMS/

I thought original Darkfall subscribers got Unholy Wars for free?  Or did you slip up and really mean the game was free and the 15 bucks was for the first subscription month?  So hard to keep track when the story changes so incredibly quickly with Darkfall fans depending on which story makes the company look slightly less shitty at the time :)

By the way, what other methods besides payment existed for getting access to the beta?  Or is it kinda a closed beta but only allows in people who pay?  You know, not a paid beta, just one that only people who pay can get into?

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the NGE.

Oh ... How cute! image  You can dissect it any way you please, but the end result is the same.  I paid $15 for the game and  first month of gameplay once it's relased.  Non DF1 subscribers can get in for $30 or wait until release and pay $38.

I thought it was fairly clear from the link posted above, but since you missed it.

Pre-Order Darkfall Unholy Wars*

The offer includes:
    • Discount pricing:
      • Returning Darkfall players: Price of the subscription (14.95)
      • New players get 25% off (29.95)
    • Beta Access
    • 30 Days Game time after official launch
    • Reserve your Character name

* Limited time offer. Terms & Conditions here

Price: USD 29.95

Recurring charge: USD 14.95 / 30 Days

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by phantomghost

I don't see why not?

People willing to pay are more likely to want the game to be fixed than those hoping to get a free trial of the game when they sign up to participate in a beta.

so letme get this straight....u guys bought the game that isnt released and have to pay monthly to beta it right now?

Originally posted by Dantae87

I don't see why not?

People willing to pay are more likely to want the game to be fixed than those hoping to get a free trial of the game when they sign up to participate in a beta.

so letme get this straight....u guys bought the game that isnt released and have to pay monthly to beta it right now?

Nope, you got it wrong.  We have to pay $0 until our 1 month subscription is over.  The subscription however, will not begin until the game launches.

I don't see why not?

It's a Pre-Order (see above)

"30 Days Game time after official launch"

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    dont get me wrong i will get this game on release, as im a member of the imperium guild....

dont get me wrong i will get this game on release, as im a member of the imperium guild....

Why wait, its only going to cost you more later?

If you are going to play the game, you should buy it now while it is cheaper.  Not to mention you will be able to experience the game before launch.  You will also get to put your feedback into the game, and possibly help implement changes, as many of us have been doing on the forums.  Av has been relatively quick to update us, and they also see some of our point of views and plan to change parts of the game as we feel necessary.

If you are going to play the game, you should buy it now while it is cheaper.  Not to mention you will be able to experience the game before launch.  You will also get to put your feedback into the game, and possibly help implement changes, as many of us have been doing on the forums.  Av has been relatively quick to update us, and they also see some of our point of views and plan to change parts of the game as we feel necessary.

You're really strecthing it and everyone knows AVs communication has ALWAYS sucked.

I don't see why not?

Ah.  A pre order.  So like most other pre orders, it can be cancelled before release with the full money returned, correct?

Even Guild Wars 2 pre-orders could be cancelled before release and you'd get your money back.  Pretty much any Gamestop, Best Buy, or online pre ordered game can as well.

So is Aventurine the same?

Also I find it kinda odd that they said returning Darkfall 1 players get the game for free, but then charge 15 dollars.  Sure if you put it that the 15 bucks is for the first months subscription it can sound better, but in reality that means that they still did not do as promised.

After all, the game purchase includes a free month.  Unless you were a previous Darkfall player, in which case buying the game gets you less things so they can charge you more.

You're really strecthing it and everyone knows AVs communication has ALWAYS sucked.

But it has got much better.  They are also getting better at not setting a firm date to lead to everyone being disappointed when they do not meet the deadline.

But it has got much better.  They are also getting better at not setting a firm date to lead to everyone being disappointed when they do not meet the deadline.

Better than what? Your post is mainly BS without going into details. (NDA)

I don't see why not?

Ah.  A pre order.  So like most other pre orders, it can be cancelled before release with the full money returned, correct?

Even Guild Wars 2 pre-orders could be cancelled before release and you'd get your money back.  Pretty much any Gamestop, Best Buy, or online pre ordered game can as well.

So is Aventurine the same?

Also I find it kinda odd that they said returning Darkfall 1 players get the game for free, but then charge 15 dollars.  Sure if you put it that the 15 bucks is for the first months subscription it can sound better, but in reality that means that they still did not do as promised.

After all, the game purchase includes a free month.  Unless you were a previous Darkfall player, in which case buying the game gets you less things so they can charge you more.

Your argument is ridiculous.  They did not break the promise at all.

You can look at it however you want.

They sold us the game for $15 and we got 1month free or they gave us the game free and we paid for the first months subscription.

They never said we would be able to play 100% free, never pay a subscription.

Pretty obvious I was talking about communication.  No they do not update us every hour of every day but they don't let us go weeks without any information.

Edit:

23 updates since 12/18. So in 22 days we have had 23 updates.  That includes today being counted as a whole day already.

Compared to before beta... that is quite an improvement.

They sold us the game for $15 and we got 1month free or they gave us the game free and we paid for the first months subscription.

Why did they not sell returning Darkfall customers the game for free, as they said?  The full game including the free 30 days?

I am not suggesting a buy to play, or for returning players to never have to pay a subscription.  I'm saying if they're going to give a game for free, then do it.  Don't give the game with strings attached to your wallet.

It would be a bad precedent for a company to give free copies of games as rewards for customer loyalty, but leave out key features included with the game normally unless the 'rewarded' people pay for them.

But really, what detriment would there have been for returning Darkfall players to get the game and the first month on the house?

Do they really need to charge the most interested and loyal fans to their game to generate income for their company?  I would think that, instead, having free access to such customers including the 30 days could be an incredible boon if the game was solid and very fun.  But charging them to even see the changes?

Aventurine.

Pretty obvious I was talking about communication.  No they do not update us every hour of every day but they don't let us go weeks without any information.

Edit:

23 updates since 12/18. So in 22 days we have had 23 updates.  That includes today being counted as a whole day already.

How many updates in the 22 days leading up to the rather sudden beta?  Just curious.

I ask because when people actually have access to the product, perhaps these updates could be seen as more "damage control" and attempts to calm concerns of the state of the game.   When no customer had access, obviously they didn't need to ease such crushing disappointment.

Why did they not sell returning Darkfall customers the game for free, as they said?  The full game including the free 30 days?

I am not suggesting a buy to play, or for returning players to never have to pay a subscription.  I'm saying if they're going to give a game for free, then do it.  Don't give the game with strings attached to your wallet.

It would be a bad precedent for a company to give free copies of games as rewards for customer loyalty, but leave out key features included with the game normally unless the 'rewarded' people pay for them.

But really, what detriment would there have been for returning Darkfall players to get the game and the first month on the house?

Do they really need to charge the most interested and loyal fans to their game to generate income for their company?  I would think that, instead, having free access to such customers including the 30 days could be an incredible boon if the game was solid and very fun.  But charging them to even see the changes?

Aventurine.

Where did they say they would give us the game and 30day subscription for free?

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391
    its not like paid for beta is anything new. (im not in it, i dont overly care, i honestly wish some NDA stuff would be loosened because im debating on giving this game a shot)

Edit:

How many updates in the 22 days leading up to the rather sudden beta?  Just curious.

I ask because when people actually have access to the product, perhaps these updates could be seen as more "damage control" and attempts to calm concerns of the state of the game.   When no customer had access, obviously they didn't need to ease such crushing disappointment.

Well that is very possible and it may be what they are doing.  The game has definitely improved since day 1 of beta.  It still has its issues though.

The point I was making was prior to the beta and them changing the launch date over and over they were not communicating to us until last minute.  We would see an update rarely, opposed to nearly once a day (not really once a day as some were multiples in a single day... but 23 updates over 22 days)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Lost revenue.  People that pay to see the new game but don't like it and quit, still paid.  If that's 100,000 players, that's over a million in cash flow.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Aventurine.

Where did they say they would give us the game and 30day subscription for free?

Oh they didn't.  No sir.  They said just the game was free, which is why it is ever so easy for the fans to say that is what they did, and only the 15 dollars is for the first month subscription.

I wonder what the 30 dollar price level gets?  It lists 30 days game time on the pre order site.  Listed in such a way that it would appear to be included no matter which version.

It just is so odd, for the non returning people to get the 30 days gametime included, and the people who were supposed to get the game for free, are being charged for 30 days which the page says is included.

I would have no issue here, if they did not list the 30 days as included.  Or I would also have no issue, if returning players didn't have to open their wallet immediately.  Either 0 dollars for returning folks, or don't tell them they are getting an included 30 days when that is actually what they are paying for.

Well that is very possible and it may be what they are doing.  The game has definitely improved since day 1 of beta.  It still has its issues though.

The point I was making was prior to the beta and them changing the launch date over and over they were not communicating to us until last minute.  We would see an update rarely, opposed to nearly once a day (not really once a day as some were multiples in a single day... but 23 updates over 22 days)

Well, in whatever case, it is good that they have improved not only in communication but also in the game itself.

Originally posted by XAPGames

Lost revenue.  People that pay to see the new game but don't like it and quit, still paid.  If that's 100,000 players, that's over a million in cash flow.

Well, doesn't that seem odd?  If 100,000 people return from Darkfall to play this one, and dislike it enough to leave after having paid, then yes Aventurine will have gained some big bucks there.  However, they also will have lost an important part of their playerbase - returning customers.  Customer satisfaction and retention are critical in many businesses.  If I go to Noodles and Company, order a dish and despise it, they will make me a new dish of a different selection free of charge.  They want to keep customers, and even if it costs a bit more at first, they know it is immensely benificial over time.

My point is it may have been more benificial to please customers than try to make a quick buck.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

My point is it may have been more benificial to please customers than try to make a quick buck.

No disagreement from me.  Customer satisfaction is something I was taught as a major factor to business longevity.  Perhaps it's not as important now with the current generation of high level management... at least not in game publishing.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.