Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[General Article] City of Heroes: Profitable or Not?

Comments

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Beatnik59
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Scot

You do realise the MMO industry has turned from one which makes MMO’s for long term profit to one which makes MMO’s for short term profit? That MMO’s are now expected to perform more like solo games than multiplayer games when it comes to return of investment and overall profit?

In light of this, why would any gaming company try to keep an old MMO going? If you are making a profit but only relatively a small one, and you think resources can be put to better use elsewhere why would you keep an old MMO running? Gaming companies are run by suits now, not gamers, wake up and smell the monetary coffee.

I expect more such closures in the next couple of years, if your old MMO is with a company making new MMO’s it is definitely vulnerable.

Very, very true.  We are bound to see more of this over the next few years.  Suits have entirely different perspectives than Dev's and gamers do. Hell, I suspect many of them seldom if ever play their own games.  Its just a job to them, andf if the numbers don't add up to their projections/expectations, they have no problem pulling the plug.

While that may be good for the projects ROI, it can become a toxic attitude over time.  Look at the number of people who seriously dislike NCsoft, SOE, and other such.  Thats like a corrosive DOT, and it can seriously damage a companies reputation, over time.  I suspect we've just started to see some of the backlash in that regard.

This is what I'm thinking too.

2013 is shaping up to be a morbid year for online gaming, with the Zynga closures, the phone fetish, consoles on the wane, and the total customer pool plateauing (in absolute terms).

I have a feeling we'll see two to three more AAA titles announce closings this year.  Maybe more.  The thing about a move like this from one of the "majors" is that it makes investors press the other majors to do the same.  There's a boatload of sub-performing subscription, FTP/hybrid games that are a bit older or younger that CoH...and are in even worse shape than CoH ever was (Vanguard, Age of Connan, Warhammer Online, and I could name others).

You keep portraying doom and gloom, but I'm not seeing it.  The Zynga closures were all minor flash FB games.  They didn't close Farmville, YoVille, or any of their most popular titles.  The most popular games they closed were PetVille and ChefVille, both games with nowhere to go and declining popularity.  Your FB credits and Zynga bucks (whatever those are called) are still good at any of their other games and they still offer quite a choice for those that like that style of game.

Then you mention the "phone fetish" as though that is supposed to be signficant.  Toss in some hyperbole about consoles "waning" (nice power word though - I liked it), and something ambiguous about customer pools plateauing (another nice word btw) and it's just a bunch of vague empty nothing meant to promote your fear agenda.

There are more gaming options now than ever before and more accessible gaming than ever before.  A few titles closing doesn't mean the whole industry is in a tailspin heading for a crash.  It's sad that the game closed, it really is, but that doesn't mean every other niche game is going to suddenly cave or that the entire genre is unstable.

I fully expect to see other games close over the next couple of years, but I also expect new games will open up.  If we're fortunate payment models will merge somewhat and we will see them compete on quality instead of just offering cheaper gameplay.

That might be true.

All the same, I don't think it's a good idea to spend a lot of time and money in some of the games on the margins.  Too risky.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• adam_noxadam_nox hays, KSPosts: 2,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

It kind of amazes me how all of these armchair biz-wizzes know what is "profitable" to any specific company and what is not.

After all is said and done and paid out, let's just say NCSoft makes a nickel on every game account on average. Is that a profit? Yup. Is it enough to stay in business? I highly doubt it. The investors may disagree with *your* idea of "profitable."

Who has access to NCSoft's financials where they state clearly what CoH brought in for them?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Beuhler?

Than stop stating your opinions as facts. Or at least state exactly what your facts are. There is "profitable" and there is "profitable enough."

I played CoH for years. I enjoyed the game and my time there (well over 3 years). It was probably the best MMORPG I have played yet. Let it go, already.

Not sure if serious.  Much of the financial are known, and it's almost a certainty that it brought in 4 million in profit anually.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky It kind of amazes me how all of these armchair biz-wizzes know what is "profitable" to any specific company and what is not. After all is said and done and paid out, let's just say NCSoft makes a nickel on every game account on average. Is that a profit? Yup. Is it enough to stay in business? I highly doubt it. The investors may disagree with *your* idea of "profitable." Who has access to NCSoft's financials where they state clearly what CoH brought in for them? Anybody? Anybody? Beuhler? Than stop stating your opinions as facts. Or at least state exactly what your facts are. There is "profitable" and there is "profitable enough." I played CoH for years. I enjoyed the game and my time there (well over 3 years). It was probably the best MMORPG I have played yet. Let it go, already.
    Not sure if serious.  Much of the financial are known, and it's almost a certainty that it brought in 4 million in profit anually.

The earnings are known. The profit is not.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,205Member Uncommon

That might be true.

All the same, I don't think it's a good idea to spend a lot of time and money in some of the games on the margins.  Too risky.

Yeah, now that I do have to agree with.  This has reminded me that what I spend money on could be gone tomorrow.  Not that I won't spend that money, but it has made me examine more closely if I really want it or not.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Sioux City, IAPosts: 3,828Member

It kind of amazes me how all of these armchair biz-wizzes know what is "profitable" to any specific company and what is not.After all is said and done and paid out, let's just say NCSoft makes a nickel on every game account on average. Is that a profit? Yup. Is it enough to stay in business? I highly doubt it. The investors may disagree with *your* idea of "profitable."Who has access to NCSoft's financials where they state clearly what CoH brought in for them?Anybody?Anybody?Beuhler?Than stop stating your opinions as facts. Or at least state exactly what your facts are. There is "profitable" and there is "profitable enough."I played CoH for years. I enjoyed the game and my time there (well over 3 years). It was probably the best MMORPG I have played yet. Let it go, already.
    Could you post a link that shows CoH profits?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Chicago, ILPosts: 2,229Member Uncommon

It kind of amazes me how all of these armchair biz-wizzes know what is "profitable" to any specific company and what is not.

After all is said and done and paid out, let's just say NCSoft makes a nickel on every game account on average. Is that a profit? Yup. Is it enough to stay in business? I highly doubt it. The investors may disagree with *your* idea of "profitable."

Who has access to NCSoft's financials where they state clearly what CoH brought in for them?

Anybody?

Anybody?

Beuhler?

Than stop stating your opinions as facts. Or at least state exactly what your facts are. There is "profitable" and there is "profitable enough."

I played CoH for years. I enjoyed the game and my time there (well over 3 years). It was probably the best MMORPG I have played yet. Let it go, already.

It's spelled out really simply in the article attached to this thread.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by AlBQuirky It kind of amazes me how all of these armchair biz-wizzes know what is "profitable" to any specific company and what is not.   After all is said and done and paid out, let's just say NCSoft makes a nickel on every game account on average. Is that a profit? Yup. Is it enough to stay in business? I highly doubt it. The investors may disagree with *your* idea of "profitable." Who has access to NCSoft's financials where they state clearly what CoH brought in for them? Anybody? Anybody? Beuhler? Than stop stating your opinions as facts. Or at least state exactly what your facts are. There is "profitable" and there is "profitable enough." I played CoH for years. I enjoyed the game and my time there (well over 3 years). It was probably the best MMORPG I have played yet. Let it go, already.  
    It's spelled out really simply in the article attached to this thread.

O.o

That's just more guesswork. Which was also stated in the article. There is no definitive way to know if the game or the studio was running at a loss or a profit.

** edit **
    Regardless of what Matt Miller said, Paragon Studios had eighty employees. It seems unlikely that the lead developer or designer was doing the accounting.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HoplitesHoplites SpartaPosts: 463Member
    Originally posted by Hoplites
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    The thing with advertising is that it costs the same, no matter what you're advertising. Advertising for CoH would cost the same as GW2. Ditto for Champions and DCUO. After a certain point, it doesn't make sense to advertise older properties unless they are doing something new. Even if the property doubles in size, it won't make up what you've spent in advertising*.

** edit **
    * Especially if you have something else you can advertise that will get more return for your investment.

I don't agree at all.  

You don't have to advertise the same quanity like you do for a new game, because word of mouth tends to take care of the rest.  But word of mouth starts to wane eventually, so new marketing campaigns that are cheap, but effective can still prove to be fruitful.  

City of Heroes having a recent expansion, for example (Going Rogue) with a box, is one way to promote a new marketing campaign. At least City of Heroes had exposure of box sets visible in gaming stores in recent years, but you can't say the same for Lineage 2.

Lineage 2 is NCSOFT's flagship game afterall, and yet how much advertising muscle do you see them spending on L2 North America?  That speaks volumes about how much they care about the western market.

No one is saying they should't focus primarily on the Asian market, where they make most of their money.  But it is incredibly myopic to not even market their own flagship game in North America.

As for someone else mentioning that they should sell their property they have shut down and sits idily by. They could, but investors have to force that pressure.  If I was an investor I probably would want a greater ROR on my investment, so it makes sense if it is plausible to make money off of what they are sitting on.  

Firstly, L2 is not NCs flagship title.  Blade and Soul and GW2 are now the flagship titles as of at least Q3 last year.

Aion and Lineage have outperformed L2 over the last few years.  Lineage is still more profitible than both and it's not even open in the West anymore.  Why should they market their profitible Asian titles in the West where players speak rudely about Korean grinders.  Westerners apparently don't like Korean style game design and we've made that clear.

As has been pointed out several times in the thread, there could be other factors in not selling the IP, factors that could cost more than a one off sale will recoup.  You want to see the title live so your only real conclusion is that it would be better business for all if they sold, but that's your reality, not theirs.

No I don't agree at all.

Lineage 2 is their baby...their game...they are a publisher for GW2 but that is an important distinction right there. 

As for marketing L2, yes they can if they want because L2 isn't the only grinder on the western market and based on the recent changes I wouldn't categorized L2 a grinder anymore.   

As for the selling of intellectual property that is how money is made these days unless you are living under a rock.  So, making money is what corporations are about afterall.  You keep making assumptions and you seem to have the same myopic vision NCSOFT exhibits which is ironic.

Originally posted by lizardbones
    The thing with advertising is that it costs the same, no matter what you're advertising. Advertising for CoH would cost the same as GW2. Ditto for Champions and DCUO. After a certain point, it doesn't make sense to advertise older properties unless they are doing something new. Even if the property doubles in size, it won't make up what you've spent in advertising*.

** edit **
    * Especially if you have something else you can advertise that will get more return for your investment.

I don't agree at all.  

You don't have to advertise the same quanity like you do for a new game, because word of mouth tends to take care of the rest.  But word of mouth starts to wane eventually, so new marketing campaigns that are cheap, but effective can still prove to be fruitful.  

City of Heroes having a recent expansion, for example (Going Rogue) with a box, is one way to promote a new marketing campaign. At least City of Heroes had exposure of box sets visible in gaming stores in recent years, but you can't say the same for Lineage 2.

Lineage 2 is NCSOFT's flagship game afterall, and yet how much advertising muscle do you see them spending on L2 North America?  That speaks volumes about how much they care about the western market.

No one is saying they should't focus primarily on the Asian market, where they make most of their money.  But it is incredibly myopic to not even market their own flagship game in North America.

As for someone else mentioning that they should sell their property they have shut down and sits idily by. They could, but investors have to force that pressure.  If I was an investor I probably would want a greater ROR on my investment, so it makes sense if it is plausible to make money off of what they are sitting on.  

Firstly, L2 is not NCs flagship title.  Blade and Soul and GW2 are now the flagship titles as of at least Q3 last year.

Aion and Lineage have outperformed L2 over the last few years.  Lineage is still more profitible than both and it's not even open in the West anymore.  Why should they market their profitible Asian titles in the West where players speak rudely about Korean grinders.  Westerners apparently don't like Korean style game design and we've made that clear.

As has been pointed out several times in the thread, there could be other factors in not selling the IP, factors that could cost more than a one off sale will recoup.  You want to see the title live so your only real conclusion is that it would be better business for all if they sold, but that's your reality, not theirs.

No I don't agree at all.

Lineage 2 is their baby...their game...they are a publisher for GW2 but that is an important distinction right there. 

As for marketing L2, yes they can if they want because L2 isn't the only grinder on the western market and based on the recent changes I wouldn't categorized L2 a grinder anymore.   

As for the selling of intellectual property that is how money is made these days unless you are living under a rock.  So, making money is what corporations are about afterall.  You keep making assumptions and you seem to have the same myopic vision NCSOFT exhibits which is ironic.

Actually I got that from their 2012 Q3 financials.  The Q4 haven't been released yet.  If you go to the NCSoft corporate site in Korea and download the Q3 PDF you will see it says on the revenue page that B&S and GW2 are positioned well as the flagship titles of the company.  "Strong growth was achieved in US and EU, fueled by successful launch of GW2.
    B&S and GW2 have firmly positioned themselves as main revenue drivers for the company."

Lineage out performed every other game but GW2 including B&S.  L2 was the lowest performing listed title.  Revenue by percent:  GW2 - 27%, L1 - 23%, B&S - 20%, Aion - 16%, L2 - 8%, and all others 6%.

ANet is a wholly owned subsidiary company of NCSoft.  NC is the publisher, but also the owner, just not the direct development studio.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Northlake, TXPosts: 660Member

On whether CoH was profitable?  Some of you have reported the downward trend of the game.  With the changes in US Taxes could CoH crossed its threshold prematurely?

There comes a point that the profits just are not enough for the hassle of maintaining a loosing battle.  NCSoft pulled the plug on a low yeilding situation.  I bet more and more of thier games will be based in Asia to stem off taxes.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Turney, MOPosts: 86Member

Do I believe or not if CoH was profitable. Yes, they were. Anyone who bought the game when the x-pansion Going Rogue came out would have to have been a subscriber. Why do I say this? Basically when the game went FTP, it cut off everything that was good about the x-pansion. The new contumes and powers were not available in the FTP side, only the subscription. Before people jump up and down, it was in the Faq's and basically stated that in order to access Going Rogue you had to sub, I could not access any of the powers or costumes when I decided to give it a shot. Tried to keep going back and kept checking the website for any changes and none came.

I say that if your gonna cut off a big chunk from the FTP players, don't make it the stuff they have already paid for if they were former subscribers. It has the tendancy to piss people off. Played for almost  5 years from mid 2005 to early 2010. Took a break, then came back for Going Rogue and played till May 2011.  Took another break till after FTP, went live and saw that NCSoft no longer cared about people who had bought their products, they just wanted more money. Kept trying to get back into it, but was nagged by the feeling of" We got your money, go screw yourself if you don't want to sub to keep the stuff you paid for". Finally uninstalled in Jan 2012. Used to be a good game, but I think NCSoft bigwigs just started getting more dollar signs in their eyes and it was'nt coming from CoH enough.

• armanth13armanth13 Coos Bay, ORPosts: 34Member
    NcSoft has done massive wrong in the past, and this closure sucks and seems too fishy because maybe a month before the announcement of the closure Paragon Studios was showing us players new content new costume sets etc...  If NcSoft was going to close it down, because it was losing money they would have given some sort of warning down the line at least to the devs so they wouldn't be investing time into something that would never see the light of day?  It would be like if Ford was going to shut down for good but said even though we're not going to actually sell anything keep making cars and expending resources.
  • wilcoxonwilcoxon Edina, MNPosts: 80Member
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Starsman

There was NEVER a server merger in CoH.

http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Servers

The European servers were merged with the American servers because of LOW POPULATION ISSUES. They had to open the game up so all players around the world could chose to play with those in other areas. Even their own WIKI shows 9 of the 15 servers with LOW populations even AFTER the world merging of servers.

And YES, it is a MERGER...even THEY called it one.

Right here on this very site as well as others there is an article that in Sept of 2008 City of Heroes had 125,000 subscribers, according to a press release by Paragon.

125,000 x 14.99 per month =  $1,873,750 x 12 months = 22,485,000

As SAID BY THE PERSON TELLING US THEY RETAINED 95%+ of its subscribers yet at the same time told us it made $12,000,000.

12 million is NOT 95-98% of 22.4 million.

This person is a flat out LIAR, I dont CARE if the game was GOOD or not or deserved to be shut down or NOT...he is a liar.

Do some reading and some math.  CoH servers were *NOT* merged - the list of servers and hosting location of the servers was merged.  There was some talk on the forums of merging a few very low population servers but this never happened.  Just google for "coh server merge" and you'll see.  Also, I'm pretty sure it's not 95-98% of the subscribers - it's 95-98% of subscribers month-on-month (98% over 4 years would be 38% of Sep 2008 so it either kept over 98% or added a fair number of new players that spent money).

Active: CoH/CoV, Warhammer (beta,live)
    Retired: Anarchy Online, Archlord (beta), Auto Assault (beta), Dark Age of Camelot, D&D Online (alpha,beta,&live), Dungeon Runners, Everquest, EVE, Guild Wars, Lord of the Rings (beta), Vanguard (beta), World of Warcraft
    Looking forward to: Fallen Earth

• TuchakaTuchaka san diego, CAPosts: 468Member

Acussintg a corporation of shutting down a game because it was still profitable but the company is lying is really not that different than acussing them of not being able to do math and understand the difference between cost and profit.

I played Cox for about 5 years so i can say it was easily one of the better MMO's i have played, most MMO communities remind me of the one wow has to be honest. I am really sorry for anyone that was still super attached to this game, but sorry games get the plug pulled cause they are not profitable if it was still making money it would be running. I have not played the game in years but the other issue of this games closing that bothered me is this is easily the best super hero MMO ever made cause champions and DCUO frankly suck if they were good they wouldn't have gone F2P in record time.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade KingsmouthPosts: 2,641Member Uncommon

Thanks for the article, William!

Here's to hoping we'll see a resurrection of CoH!

Also, Dampyre, if the game was losing them money, then why not let Paragon Studios buy themselves out, like they tried, and continue on their own?

If it was just about the money that would've been the smart thing to do; they'd have cut their losses and even recuperated some of them from the sale.

Instead they chose to be incredibly petty about it and kicked 80 people out without even any advance warning. And then afterwards they refuse to sell the IP to make sure the game stays dead.

If it was a famous IP, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc... I could see why they'd want to hold onto it... but CoH's I can only see decreasing in value the longer it stays on the shelves.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade

Thanks for the article, William!

Here's to hoping we'll see a resurrection of CoH!

Also, Dampyre, if the game was losing them money, then why not let Paragon Studios buy themselves out, like they tried, and continue on their own?

If it was just about the money that would've been the smart thing to do; they'd have cut their losses and even recuperated some of them from the sale.

Instead they chose to be incredibly petty about it and kicked 80 people out without even any advance warning. And then afterwards they refuse to sell the IP to make sure the game stays dead.

If it was a famous IP, like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc... I could see why they'd want to hold onto it... but CoH's I can only see decreasing in value the longer it stays on the shelves.

Read the thread, those questions were already answered.

• MadAddictMadAddict roxbury, NJPosts: 75Member
    I got to say this, I don't know what to believe and honestly NCSOFT won't care anyway. I played beta to sunset, with the same SG the whole time, never lapse in time, it was a minimum of a weekly ritual . Bottom line is people enjoyed it, repetitive at times but what MMO isn't? The fun has been torn away, And for those who care, a hole is left that cannot easily be filled. Talk money all day, its the people who count. It fulfilled a part of the players lives that has been lost. And they were all willing to pay whether cash shop or membership. So don't say they weren't making money, it has been paying for itself for years!
  • PlageronPlageron Some Where, WAPosts: 109Member

Basicaly in a nut shell....NC Soft  decided to discontinue city of heroes....becasue they not only had the newest Guild Wars coming out, but they also wanted to support their newest game they had been hyping like crazy Blood and Soul.  If you actualy decide to look at their profits for each game you will see the biggest loser title being Lineage 2, followed by AION which has had trouble for quite a while.  As a gamer if you have played both titles you know why this is. (aside form age of game the over game play for these two titles have had alot of issues and tons of damage control that just has not worked as well as I am sure they wanted....go figure...nepotism causes this sort of thing.) 

As for it not being profitable.....it was...it just was not enough of what they wanted...in addition they decided to change focus....You can see this statement issued by them in many places including thier announcement about the sunset and in many issued statements.  What that means in video games terms is that they decided to go with a specifc genre of games and focus on that only.  Thus they went to the Fantasy style of gaming and Super Heroes doesnt exactly fall with in that genre.

I dont actualy know why they decided to discontinue it like they did.....they really made some big names in the entertainment and writing and movie industries very angry though(you could have read this on the city of heroes forums when they existed but can still read right now on the titan network forums for some juicy stuff)

But the biggest reason this is continualy being brought up... if anyone has been part of game shutdowns....I have a number of times....this time it was handled alot differently then the usual......In every game before city of heores....the number one thing companies do is try to keep players...in this case they usualy do the old we will give you the time you pre-paid for on another game title.....or discounts on other games they have or are coming out with....they did this on Auto Assault, and Lineage and Dungeon Runners and even Tabula Rasa....but with this one....they instead....didnt send out any emails....they simply gave people back credit..and that was it....any calls or emails to them where answered with a response of the game is being sunset on the date and nothing else.

So strangely enough this is why this thing keeps getting brought up like a dead horse....is becasue the players....noticed the company didnt try to keep them....they literaly didnt try to sell the game nor any other games....and they didnt seam to care they ticked off some influential big wigs in differing fields...which kind of goes way against the typical game company strategem...and what is even more strange...is the fact that many other game companies have been super supportive to a point you can tell that the moderators and workers in those other companies are just as mystified.....thus the reason you dont see the city of heroes stuff taken off the blizzard forum...or from the perfect world forums or the secret world....

Yes its very irritating to players who never played city of heroes and would never have played it and could care less....

But the mystery is there and thus....its why its brought up.

Figured I would post all of this to get people up to speed.

• logandwjlogandwj Grand Prairie, TXPosts: 25Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/09/markets-korea-stocks-idUSL4N0AE2UK20130109

"We advise cutting losses on NCsoft - we see continued cannibalization of existing games and at best moderate success for new games in China," Morgan Stanley analyst Sam Min wrote in a research note on Wednesday.

Their stock is half what it was this same time last year. HALF. And still falling.

So NCSoft? About that new direction you were talking about?

How's that working out for ya? 

-Logan
    ----------
    "Wake UP! Time for SCIENCE!"
    -Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
    ----------

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,762Member Uncommon

"we see continued cannibalization of existing games"

Not good, and a pointer to where the MMO industry is heading.

• SattymikeSattymike Rosefarm, MNPosts: 1Member

I played CoX from start to nearly finish.  I had a lapsed a few months before sunset and came back to find it gone. 

I enjoyed writing content in AE and the veteran rewards at the time.   It was my first MMO.  It was not like any other MMO at launch and I haven't found any I like better.   I've played others  including AoC, SWToR, Fallen earth, Secret world, Planetside 2, Rift.... none kept me for more than a month or three.  Waste of time and sometimes money.

I really may be done with MMOs but I am certainly done with NCSoft.  I've read every thread I could find about the sunset and reasons behind it and arguements about the profitability. 

ncsoft should sell but obviously for their own reasons they won't.  They pulled the rug out from under CoX.  It;s their choice but it's my choice to not send another dollar their direction.

• misterfrictionmisterfriction Carbondale, MOPosts: 1Member
    You have not heard the real reason COH was shut down..All releases from the studio are lies. The game made money and was making money..The real conspiracy behind the game closure has yet to surface.
  • SCyberTazSCyberTaz Fort Wayne, INPosts: 1Member

Hopefully someone has warned Molten games about retaining their IP ownership of their game and only take money from NC Limp as a distributor.  I plan on giving no money to anyone affiliated with NC Limp, including their majority shareholder Nexxon and could care less what they do to Molten.  I really hope they have a booth at Gencon for WS, B&S, GW2 or anything else so I can stand there in my AP33 t-shirt and hold my torch high in memory of our fallen hobby, obsession and / or lifestyle choice.  Those of you on FB please feel free to stop by the Boycott NC Soft, I miss City of Heroes, or CoH Survivors groups, we actually appreciate the community and players of our beloved murdered MMO.

@SCyberTaz, The odd-father of Exalted and Champion

• Xen0phageXen0phage Silverdale, WAPosts: 3Member

[quote] While we looked to sell the franchise multiple times, we were unsuccessful in finding a suitable partner that we thought would support City of Heroes’ fans in a manner they were accustomed to for years to come [/quote]

yeah...so the solution was just to shut it down cause no game is better then a game that isn't as well supported as it used to be... JACK ASS

• galadimangaladiman Manville, NJPosts: 6Member
    Sorry, NCSoft is legally allowed to say anything it wants in this kind of forum/interview.   They never came out before talking about numbers, they said it was a 'direction' change, yadda yadda.  I don't believe a word they say.  I suspect some kind of personal pride BS that no one will ever hear about,