Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: Avoiding the Wall

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Jtcgs
    Wow has 2 factions. But it does NOTHING with them.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Jtcgs
    Wow has 2 factions. But it does NOTHING with them.

But it still stands as a refute to what was said. Playing an alliance character after a horde character does not make it "new". Same classes on both sides, you are just in a different zone.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    So TESO wil be just another themepark MMO with more zones to come (which leads to empty zones everywhere), some RvR and instanced dungeons. We all have that in many MMOs, sometimes well done, most times bad. Is that really all ? The same stuff with different skins and a new story ? I am dissapointed. :(
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Anthur
    So TESO wil be just another themepark MMO with more zones to come (which leads to empty zones everywhere), some RvR and instanced dungeons. We all have that in many MMOs, sometimes well done, most times bad. Is that really all ? The same stuff with different skins and a new story ? I am dissapointed. :(

Looks like it could indeed go that route. Oh well, another MMO I won't be playing.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by Valentina
    This reminds me of GW2 in so many ways lol. I hope they have extensive housing in TESO, though that's a very good way to connect people to the game over a long term, having hobby content like that is always positive.

Well I hope you dont set those hopes too high as it has been stated there will be no player housing in TESO because "Its too hard to implement in an MMO the way players want"

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Won't get fooled again !

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

We don't know much...at all. My understanding is 3 way faction conflict , dungeon crawling, and crafting will be the main sources of activity.

Given Matt Firor's DAOC background...I can't wait.

• ghettocelebghettoceleb Member UncommonPosts: 104
    No matter what is said about this game I cant wait to become part of the lore.
  • FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

MMo fans do not want to play this game because it looks like another WOW clone and Elder Scrolls fans do not want to play this game because it is nothing like the single player games.

So they managed to piss off two player bases....yea, this game is going nowhere.

^ Pretty much this.

I've followed the vids and interviews (mind you, 90% of them are all about the lore and not the gameplay) and so far I'm disappointed. Being both an MMORPG player and one who enjoys TES games, I can't believe the direction that TESO is heading. It's certainly not the online TES game I hoped for, at least not at the moment based on what I've researched thus far. Even the visuals are a step-down from Skyrim.

The fact that this game is already in beta has me concerned and alarmed. It's usually at this development phase where changes are mere fixes and tweaks, but no longer game-changing overhauls. The game truly needs serious help to the core, but of course, what do we get? Social networking integration!

You havent followed anything.. The pod casts and youtube vids of people who have actually PLAYED the game talk about game play and zero lore. You just get all your info from this site, and call it research.  

• FishmittsFishmitts Member CommonPosts: 227

MMo fans do not want to play this game because it looks like another WOW clone and Elder Scrolls fans do not want to play this game because it is nothing like the single player games.

So they managed to piss off two player bases....yea, this game is going nowhere.

The people who have played the game that have posted their thoughts say the game plays EXACTLY like TES. As a matter of fact, they said they forgot they were playing an MMO until they saw other players. Do you people research anything before you post your shit?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

"What features, were you designing an Elder Scrolls Online, would you make sure to include? Let us know in the comments!"

Housing and i want to be able to marry an npc and send her home, and even player marriage too. Build crafting posts in my house, add trophies and manequins for armor sets and weapons like in Skyrim. Also i want Skyrim's companion system that wont count as a party member (swtor did it wrong here) so we can have a group of people, each one with a companion and take on harder monsters when more people are needed and not enough show up :)

Being able to interact with all npcs is a must, both peacefully and aggressively. 

No gear threadmill, crafting and enchanting is the way to get the best gears. As soon as you add gear grinding, crafting becomes useless. 

Whatever you do in the game, affects every player in some way, but for the sake of not breaking the game for others, only non-essential npcs can be killed in your game and ill see it dead in mine. Still you can interact with the environment and destroy constructions and burn trees etc. If you destroy a house you get penalized by the town Jarl, and you have to help the npcs rebuild it again or go to jail (every player can see that happening in the open world, it wont be an instanced personal story)

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Housing is a nice system to have in a game, but it sucks as an end game endeavor.  On top of that, only three MMOs have done a decent job with housing; UO, SWG and Vanguard.  Anything short of real neighborhoods in the persistant world are pointless and certainly don't help make you feel attached to the game world in any meaningful way.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Housing? What are you all playing Barbies Dream house? Guild Halls are a much better fit for mmo's. Anything that adds any kind of group content is what I like to see. Housing is for the sole purpose of yourself. Guild halls would be a much better addition to the game, or any mmo for that matter.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Fishmitts

The people who have played the game that have posted their thoughts say the game plays EXACTLY like TES. As a matter of fact, they said they forgot they were playing an MMO until they saw other players. Do you people research anything before you post your shit?

Ye and I heard it doesnt play EXACTLY like TES... it's hard to choose a random people on the internet to trust these days huh ?

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Originally posted by Fishmitts

Ye and I heard it doesnt play EXACTLY like TES... it's hard to choose a random people on the internet to trust these days huh ?

I hope its not exactly like ES, the combat is bland as hell in ES games.

• parameshvaraparameshvara Member Posts: 2

soft level cap and skinner box got me really bad into one particular game.

And till today I firmly believe that publishers with loose morals don't need to to put that much effort in end game content - if it has a soft lvl cap, nasty stuff after you get hooked in the game XD

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

I don't really care about the lore, unless it's an actual played-out (not cut scenes) part of the game.  I hate reading walls of text when I am playing.  I don't read the quests in any game, I just read the summary then close out of the conversation and yank up the map to see where to go.  And I am not alone; I see a lot of players clicking through quests dialog boxes in 2 seconds.  But I still think that the quests should be interesting to perform.  I don't want half of the data of the game to be dedicated to the stupid intro movie, cut scenes, forced NPC movies to obtain quests and the like.  

I don't like sandbox either; not knowing wtf to do or where to go and no sensible progression.  I did like Oblivion but didn't care too much for Skyrim, except for the opening movie and the first couple of cut scenes of the executions of the prisoners.  j/k.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

In other Words: "We don't have anything different, but we try to give you a new 2 hour ride a month - with a strong emphasis on try".

• TrelonistTrelonist Member UncommonPosts: 17

I like the article. I sense (I might be wrong) that the author is actually talking about MMOs the way they used to be. Not necessarily MMOs after WoW changed the pace.

I remember spending many many hours on Everquest 1 with little to almost no outcome, just because I enjoyed the scenery, the people or simply because it took me 30min to travel from continent to continent. EQ1 remains the MMO that I played the longest and that, despite all its flaws (cause there is no game without any), remains to be one of the best MMOs ever made. Of course that was a different time and ESO has to prevail in different surrounding.

I have high hopes for ESO and I pray that they won't sacrifice class for mass. Still I do understand that it is an undertaking that ultimately also needs to pay off.

"stupidity is its own reward"

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

The most important feature?

Exploration.  They really need to eliminate the faction walls first and foremost.  Otherwise, the game will feel extremely closed-in and linear from the get go. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by PyrateLV
    Originally posted by Valentina
    This reminds me of GW2 in so many ways lol. I hope they have extensive housing in TESO, though that's a very good way to connect people to the game over a long term, having hobby content like that is always positive.

Well I hope you dont set those hopes too high as it has been stated there will be no player housing in TESO because "Its too hard to implement in an MMO the way players want"

Aion did player houses perfectly. Only thing that was crazy about it was the prices.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The maddest thing is DAOC had player housing, UO had player housing, skyrim expansion has player housing. So its not like the devs of this game haven't done player housing before.
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Housing? What are you all playing Barbies Dream house? Guild Halls are a much better fit for mmo's. Anything that adds any kind of group content is what I like to see. Housing is for the sole purpose of yourself. Guild halls would be a much better addition to the game, or any mmo for that matter.

Considering how popular housing has been in nigh every game that has ever featured it I'd say it's a good thing to have. Shame TESO won't have it because the devs are too lazy to even try.

FYI guild halls are usually included in the housing package in most MMOs since they're just bigger houses...

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    More of the same. 
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    So basically no solution to avoiding the wall. Gotcha