Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

AMD Radeon HD 8000 lineup looks suspiciously similar to Radeon HD 7000 lineup

QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,770Member Uncommon

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/oem-solutions/Pages/desktop.aspx#2

Starting from the right, you have the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, Radeon HD 7950 with Boost, Radeon HD 7870, Radeon HD 7770, and Radeon HD 7750.  The 8570 and 8670 are new, and basically the successor to the Radeon HD 6570 and 6670.  The two on the far left are the Radeon HD 5450 and 6450.

Now, that's the list of cards for OEMs.  Nvidia has sometimes released an OEM version of a card and also a "normal" version of the card which is a different card with the same name.  See the GeForce GTX 660 for an example of this.  But it's not looking like there will be much new in the Radeon HD 8000 series, which is all right, as apart from a new entry-level gaming card that is much cheaper than the 7750, it's not obvious what AMD really could or should have introduced.

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Auburn, INPosts: 989Member Uncommon
    I'm looking forward to learning more about their 8000 lineup.  I'm building an AMD system next. I've had to many problems with my last two nvidia setups.  I'm ok with it being slower than Intel/Nvidia.  Thanks for all the great info you post on these forums Quiz..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,171Member Uncommon

Looks pretty similar: I wonder if this isn't AMD just using a default layout from the 7000 series, or if we are just looking at a step refinement to the existing architecture.

The latter wouldn't necessarily be bad, the Southern Islands line has been a pretty good line all things considering. Yes, Kepler actually delivered and is a slightly better product overall, but a general tightening up on Sea Islands using an evolved GCN wouldn't put them in a bad position.

Supposedly Sea Islands is supposed to be a new architecture with the first iteration of Fusion-derived "Heterogeneous System Architecture" - which would be able to process CPU workloads to some degree (or rather, that a single core could do either GPU or CPU workloads without switching contexts). Given we aren't looking at an APU, it could just be that we are seeing the GPU-backend related changes required for this. Or it could just be some smoke and mirrors.

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAPosts: 4,623Member Uncommon
    If you look at the cards compared to the 7xxx generation, they are exactly the same cards.  I think its just going to be a naming thing for OEMs only.  Probably means AMD is not going to release new cards until there is a die shrink or change with the 9xxx generation.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,770Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    If you look at the cards compared to the 7xxx generation, they are exactly the same cards.  I think its just going to be a naming thing for OEMs only.  Probably means AMD is not going to release new cards until there is a die shrink or change with the 9xxx generation.

Not quite.  The 8570 and 8670 are new, as AMD doesn't have a 384 shader GCN card on the market right now.  They do have a 384 shader integrated GPU in Trinity, but that's VLIW4, not GCN.

But I'd still expect AMD to rename all of the old cards into the new generation except for whatever they're going to discontinue.  That seems to be the way it's done these days.

• KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    These are just rebadged 7*** series for OEM's, the Sea Island cards are still to come and are where the improvements should show. It's nothing new, Nvidia used to do this kind of thing all the time.
  • karmathkarmath Posts: 827Member Uncommon

Quiz, any rough estimates on how much of a performance bump will come from the 8950 and the 8970 over the 79xx cards?

Edit: Reason I ask is I read a few months ago that the 8000 series cards were going to blow the nvidia 600's and the 7000's off the performance charts by a large margin, I cant remember the exact article but the writer seemed pretty adamant about it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    At least over here, nvidias aren't better when you take into account the price.

Just bought factory overclocked 7950 for £205. If I wanted equivelent nvidia a 670 I'm talking just shy of £300 (well the 670 is a couple of % faster, but not that much faster) , heck the inferior 660ti costs more too.
  • KabaalKabaal Edinburgh, ScotlandPosts: 3,012Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    At least over here, nvidias aren't better when you take into account the price.

Just bought factory overclocked 7950 for £205. If I wanted equivelent nvidia a 670 I'm talking just shy of £300 (well the 670 is a couple of % faster, but not that much faster) , heck the inferior 660ti costs more too.

Plus the 7950 overclocks well beyond what the 670 could hope to achieve. I think of Nvidia pricing a bit like Apple's, they get away with charging more because of brand recognition.

If Sea Island chips release any time soon i can't really see there being a big market for them other than at the top end where used for very large resolutions. The mid range cards from the current cards - 7850 to 7950 are just such fantastic value for the performance they give, at 1080p there isn't even anything the 7850 struggles with other than games like heavily modded FSX that favour Nvidia anyway. When we went from 6*** to 7*** series the 6 series were struggling with quite a lot of games at the mid range so there were tangible reasons for upgrading, that's not hapened this time round yet.

I think its a UK thing, I look at American prices and nvidia are competative there
  • levin70levin70 bolingbrook, ILPosts: 87Member

The link is to OEM cards, which are just being rebranded from Radeon HD 7000's at the request of the OEM's.  These are not the retail Sea Islands cards that will be released in April.

Move along.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Camloops, ABPosts: 166Member
    I used to be a hardcore AMD guy, but with there past 2 series releases, they have GREATLY dissapointed me. There FX series are the worst processors ever created....slower than crap and even there 8 core model is slightly slower than intels I5 series...

Dantae
    That was true with the bulldozer chips, 41xx, 61xx and 81xx. Especially if you didn't flash your BIOS.

But the new pile drivers are decent mid range chips. Apart from the very rare only works well on Intel game, the 6300 benches the same as the i5 - 2500k and the 83xx the same as the i5 - 3570k. For less money, especially when you factor in ivy bridge motherboards with the 3570.

Check out piledriver bench marks on tons hardware, overclockers etc.. the 6300 if you're making a mid to highish range gaming system is probably the best bang for your buck right now.
    They are worse on power consumption than i5 though.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,770Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by karmath

Quiz, any rough estimates on how much of a performance bump will come from the 8950 and the 8970 over the 79xx cards?

Edit: Reason I ask is I read a few months ago that the 8000 series cards were going to blow the nvidia 600's and the 7000's off the performance charts by a large margin, I cant remember the exact article but the writer seemed pretty adamant about it.

As AMD's yields on 7000 series GPUs improved, they released new, higher bins of some cards:  the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition (1050 MHz core and 1.5 GHz memory as compared to 925 MHz and 1.375 GHz for the original 7970), Radeon HD 7950 with Boost (925 MHz as compared to 800 MHz for the original 7950), and a new Radeon HD 7750 (900 MHz as compared to 800 MHz for the original).  The new cards have been out for quite some time, but now AMD is rebranding them into the Radeon HD 8000 series, along with the 7770 and 7870.

The rumored performance increases of the 8000 series over the 7000 series were probably just talking about the new bins as compared to the original 7000 series cards that launched in early 2012.  Even if AMD wanted to launch something new, it's not clear what they ought to do.  A respin of the 7000 series GPUs for minor improvements?  Minor tinkering with the architecture?  A new GPU chip that lands somewhere between the 7770 and 7850?  With neither a major new architecture nor a new process node available anytime soon, major improvements in performance per watt aren't going to happen.  All that they can really do is scale performance, power, and die size up or down together to hit a new target.

Nvidia, by the way, is in the same boat with what will presumably be a GeForce 700 series.  Nvidia does have a new super high end GPU chip, but that will likely be 300 W for the top bin and very expensive.  And Nvidia will likely have a new low end part that is basically half of a GK107; it looks like that's what they're using in the Grid K1.

AMD has a new low end part, too, as that's what the new 8570 and 8670 are.  The reason AMD doesn't have a new high end part is that their high end chip (Tahiti) is already out, and has been for about a year.  Nvidia's high end GK100 chip was cancelled, or perhaps greatly delayed and renamed as GK110, and will be out in a few months or so.