Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: And So It Begins

2»

Comments

• mtinnin73mtinnin73 Member UncommonPosts: 6

I can understand that people love playing MMO's and that there are even some console games that would make great online games. I'm sorry but Final Fantasy isn't one of them. Your making  it a pay to play and also having to buy the game. I agree with others, it's going to turn out just like W.o.W. where everyone is leaving for another game with better graphics and storyline plus all they have to contend with is a item mall or something.

Final Fantasy was my favorite game until 9, after that they all went downhill. but hey, then again what do I know, i'm just a individual who isn't going to play or waste my time with a game I have to pay monthly for. Final Fantasy has been ruined as far as I'm concerned.

Good luck to you all and I hope it  doesn't crash on you again.

• Segun777Segun777 Jade Dynasty CorrespondentMember Posts: 97
    All they need to do is tap into the joy I had playing FFXI and they'd be golden, as least for me. I loved the old everquest vibe FFXIV had. More than anything what I'd really want is a slightly, very slightly modernized take on FFXI. Eleven did so many things well, I hope they stick to their guns on how they wish to make a game. So many times I see games with mashups of the "best" feature of other games, but in trying to collect the best of the best, the game lost its soul; I don't want FFXIV to do that.
  • AndreosAndreos Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by goosh
    Let me first say that i played ff11 and i played 14 from alpha 5 and I was lucky enough to get into ARR alpha . Although I cannot go into details of the game I can say Its a compleate 180 from what it was.  Load times Graphics usability and alot of other things have been done to cater to the fans . If you had an account or if your thinking of playing Dont think Just do this Will be an amazing game . SE has listened to its fans give them the benifit of the doupt just get rdy to play because its just pure raw unadulterated epic awesomeness

Reading posts like this, Watching the videos out there of FF14 ARR works for me. I played FF14 beta it failed miserably.  Judge from the game there making, not the game they made. Critics always gonna come down on SE hard for there failures(FF14), that being said dont u think SE know they have to make a game the fans want and there under immense pressure to provide? No room for mistakes in my eyes. This alone is why my eyes are pealed and i cant wait for this games release.

• AndreosAndreos Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Originally posted by goosh
    Let me first say that i played ff11 and i played 14 from alpha 5 and I was lucky enough to get into ARR alpha . Although I cannot go into details of the game I can say Its a compleate 180 from what it was.  Load times Graphics usability and alot of other things have been done to cater to the fans . If you had an account or if your thinking of playing Dont think Just do this Will be an amazing game . SE has listened to its fans give them the benifit of the doupt just get rdy to play because its just pure raw unadulterated epic awesomeness

Reading posts like this, Watching the videos out there of FF14 ARR works for me. I played FF14 beta it failed miserably.  Judge from the game there making, not the game they made. Critics always gonna come down on SE hard for there failures(FF14), that being said dont u think SE know they have to make a game the fans want and there under immense pressure to provide? No room for mistakes in my eyes. This alone is why my eyes are pealed and i cant wait for this games release.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I had an eMail from Se for an alpha application and I actually did apply for it. I hope FFXIV:ARR will be a lot better than the original FFXIV - I might even gonna play (subscribe) it if it is ;-)
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by Reizla
    I had an eMail from Se for an alpha application and I actually did apply for it. I hope FFXIV:ARR will be a lot better than the original FFXIV - I might even gonna play (subscribe) it if it is ;-)

If you get in, remember, most of the content isnt in this version, (some people have been very quick to judge and break NDA).

• TolrocTolroc Member UncommonPosts: 111

I've never been a Final Fantasy fan, but have kept up on the developments of this game simply becuase it is such a unique and refreshing strategy. I applaud Square Enix for their guts to try this and really hope it is successful. Who knows, I may have to give Realm reborn a try after it launches.

• F00L3DF00L3D Member Posts: 2
    Nice column, and an interesting read! I too am excited to see how the launch fares. Not playing the original game (at launch) myself, I can't wait to get my hands on ARR. Looks very cool indeed. Although, I did pick the game up from a $10 bargain bin earlier this year to give it a go, and was very annoyed at one thing imediatley, before I even installed the game. Being an Austrlian, I was forced to join Eurpean servers. This was a major no-no to me, and one of the reasons I never played past my first month. I mean why do they have to do that!? I think the whole 'don't fix it if it ain't broke' works here. Every mmo I have played to date I play on US servers. And as far as my geography goes, Australia is pretty much equally as far from the US as it is to Europe, so no gains in server location there. I'm wondering if this issue will be addressed in ARR? anyone that could answer would be a great help. Thanks!
  • InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Good read Ryahl and it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. One questions that no one has been able to answer: Someone gifted me the limited edition new, it is till never been opened. Will I be able to use that software to connect to the server as a client once the game is re-released. I even sent a letter to customer service and they haven't responded.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Looks like it could be fun. Lets see how it plays, once it launches.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TzagarothTzagaroth Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Inktomi
    Good read Ryahl and it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. One questions that no one has been able to answer: Someone gifted me the limited edition new, it is till never been opened. Will I be able to use that software to connect to the server as a client once the game is re-released. I even sent a letter to customer service and they haven't responded.

no, you dont need to rebuy the game when it gets released.

you can use your old registration key to create a new account. When "A Realm reborn" launched you will be able to download the reboot (PC!) version for free.

It is going to be a total different game client.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Raventree

If the first attempt at an MMO was so terrible that they essentially had to apologize and start over, I kind of wonder if starting over is actually a good idea.  I mean, think about it, they are essentially doubling down on the investment they are making in the game, except when the second version launches they have a lot of negative energy to overcome in addition to all of  the usual hurdles a new MMO faces.  If A Realm Reborn crashes and burns they are going to lose their pants on the investment versus how much money it makes.  Based on how most MMOs that are not WoW are doing, this seems like a bad idea.

Might have been smarter to let this one die.

You didn't grow up with Square and the Final Fantasy series did you? A hint: they are not giving up on a "real" final fantasy entry without a fight and 2. Japanese business culture leaves more room for apology than Western.

• OnionThiefOnionThief Member Posts: 38

Not gonna go into details either but... I'm VERY IMPRESSED by what I've played of a friend's Alpha. The gameplay is fun, combat is fast, the world feels alive, the soundtrack is frickin' amazing. And it runs like clockwork.

We have a lot to look forward to here guys.

• kaffienkaffien Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I bought the awesome collectors series. I had super high hopes and had them dashed. However I will still give them another chance to break my heart. This could be .... the actual final fantasy after all. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741

Said it before, any MMO company that sticks with a game after a dreadful launch deserves a nod.

Yes they should have had a better game ready at the original launch, but AO had a really bad launch, if Funcom had just given up that would not have said much for them. That was back in the day when you could have a bad launch and players would forgive you. Today’s content locusts just want to see the game buried and move on.

So all power to them in giving it a second go. I always say don’t preorder and it was advice born out here. So once again, wait until it launches and see what the reviews say, the proper review that is not one of those weekly pre-reviews they now do after launch.

• RizzitRizzit Member UncommonPosts: 43
    geforces or get the fuck out.
  • quixote74quixote74 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

You didn't grow up with Square and the Final Fantasy series did you? A hint: they are not giving up on a "real" final fantasy entry without a fight and 2. Japanese business culture leaves more room for apology than Western.

Agreed. Final Fantasy is the game that saved Square back in the '80's, and every entry into the series has been fantastic in one way or another (I've played FF1-FF14.1.0). No way they let this one die. 

• ChillbillyChillbilly Member Posts: 12

In the early 1980's in Japan there was a little known game developer that had several unsuccessful games to their name. The president of the company decided to make one last game before the company went under and he retired. The game would be a fantasy RPG and their last effort. In 1987 they gave the world Final Fantasy.

They have beaten the odds before and I believe they will again.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Personally I can't wait.  I loved a lot of what they did with FF14 to start ouf but couldn't play it since there was a delay with every freaking command.  I also felt lost with a lot of things that sounded cool (lack of direction/tutorials I guess).
  • CrimsonbloodKCrimsonbloodK Member Posts: 2
    Can't wait to play ARR. I think 2.0 will bring back fans and people who disagree with ff14. P.S. this game in no profound way reminds me of WoW... Which isn't the mmorpg genre originator... I played WoW for 3 years and left it for ff14 and definately won't be going back when ARR releases.
  • CrimsonbloodKCrimsonbloodK Member Posts: 2
    Beta sign ups Jan. 7th?!? Yoshi P just hinted it in his letter!
  • blazeicerblazeicer Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Anyone know if PC and PS3 will be cross platform multiplay?
  • DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    The PC and PS3 version will be the same game. You will beable to play on both, but you'll hafta buy both the ps3 and pc version to play on both systems. At that point you can log into the same characters on both systems.