Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Just turned 30 and bored of games. Need a new hobby.

VardahothVardahoth Temecula, CAPosts: 385Member Uncommon

Ideas?

I don't know if it's becaues I'm older, or if video games truely have been dummied down so hard that I just no longer enjoy them. I also don't enjoy the online communities like I used to. It's filled with kids and trolls (not something I want to put up with when I get home from work).

About me:

I have been playing games since I was 5yrs old when nes came out. I played  up to ps1 then switched to pc games since then. The last game I can actually remember enjoying was Lineage 2 from 2003 - 2006, and ragnarok online 2000-2003. It seems every game that has come out for pc since 2003 has been a failed copycat game, and for consols they just lost the fun/creativity since 2000 for me. Hobbies I have done other than gaming:

Martial arts for 7 years - retired.

Obtained my bachelors in IT.

Had a few girl friends but no longer have any interest for realizing what western women are.

Watched just about every movie and have heard just about every song 100+ times.

I would like to hear from other single male adults here what they have found to replace the time gap for video games. I'm so bored that it is depressing me to no end. I really have tried every single game and they all fall under the same 4 copycat game genres for me. The mmorpg's I once loved have been changed into on of these 4 genre's I don't enjoy:

Sandbox Games Copy+Pasted content games

WoW Style Games - instanced everything and faction based.

Pay to win model.

All fps games seem the same to me.

I must say that I recently played final fantasy 4 on nintendo ds and enjoyed every minute of it. So maybe it is not just me. Maybe I miss those old story lines with character build up and felt like the game had meaning and was fun. I don't know. What I do know is I really haven't enjoyed any new games that came out since 2006 and I have tried all of them. Any ideas for new hobbies?

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW".

Comments

• GruntyGrunty TexasPosts: 7,063Member Uncommon

Do something for someone else.

http://www.volunteermatch.org/

http://www.serve.gov/

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Denver, COPosts: 1,248Member

Im your same age 31, and can empathize with you.  I'm currently on a 6 month vacation in the Philippines to go surfing.  

Go surfing! or if you are not near an ocean and near mountains, go snowboarding.  It's a great hobby, and can get and keep you in awesome shape.  I already almost died twice and it really puts things into perspective.  

Go for a run without the ipod?  Listen to the wind, read some books, volunteer at a place where people less fortunate than you are in a position of need.  Learn to cook new food, take cooking classes?  Visit another country?  Get a job in a foriegn country... think outside the box.  Just get out and do something different.  Hope this helps!  =D

• OldbugssOldbugss Minneapolis, MNPosts: 22Member Uncommon

Well, looks like you've done it all. Game over man.

• spizzspizz BlackForrestPosts: 2,587Member

Do some sport and activities outside thats still the best and important for us in the 30ies to prepare and delay  the fast aging wich will kick in with 40+. You said you did martial arts for 7 years, thats great. Stick with some sport . Well 30 is for sure a magical number, first time you can watch back fully ten years and remember on almost everything what you did without the eyes of a teen or kid.

Learning a music isntrument could be interesting, learning a foreign language, photography & video is quiete nice ....man there are so many interesting things.

By the way happy birthday =)

• CastillleCastillle KhobarPosts: 2,703Member Uncommon

@OP : It seems you described mmos.  Have you tried indy games?  Ive had much enjoyment out of FTL, Dont Starve, Dwarf Fortress, etc.  And if youre into JRPGs you could get like...The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles.  Both of those are extremely good.  Last story if you want dungeon crawler JRPG or Xenoblade if you want a Skyrim-esque JRPG. o.o

As for new hobbies, something active would be decent.  Dance, Mountain climbing, swimming, surfing etc are all good.  You could also join a local comedy club o.o

Offtopic : Tsk tsk tsk.  Soul didnt you know that filipinas go gaga over foreigners? No seriously they go gaga over foreigners.

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ZindaihasZindaihas Seattle, WAPosts: 5,164Member
    Have you tried video games at all?  Oh wait...sorry.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride San''doria, WIPosts: 3,988Member

If you don't feel like getting an outdoors hobby, I guess you could look more into indie/roguelike gaming or single player games you may have missed out while playing MMO's. There are lots of good single player RPG's that didn't get a lot of attention/you have missed.

If i'm not gaming or busy, i'm often on a visual novel. If you think you are into those, you can always check VNDB for some that might interest you, or join a related forum/ask around. Getting them to work can often be a hassle though I suppose.

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAPosts: 4,625Member Uncommon
    I think the natural thing to do when you are 30 is to get a sports car, hair extensions, a new wardrobe, and waste your life's savings in Vegas.
  • StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
    You could start complaining about them on forums. That's sorta fun as well
  • bliss14bliss14 eleva, WIPosts: 565Member
    Originally posted by Cleffy
    I think the natural thing to do when you are 30 is to get a sports car, hair extensions, a new wardrobe, and waste your life's savings in Vegas.

Hair extensions??   Go shaved....all over!  *wink*

flamethrowerdevil5

• FelixMajorFelixMajor London, ONPosts: 576Member
    Some Guido said to me, "slow down brah" after I rear ended his Lexus in an intersection. I punched his teeth out. But now that I look back I realize he was right, slow down? Enjoy what life has to offer!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• DragonantisDragonantis DublinPosts: 974Member
    Go bungie jumping, you will feel alot better after it :)
  • HazelleHazelle Brampton, ONPosts: 760Member
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

Ideas?

I don't know if it's becaues I'm older, or if video games truely have been dummied down so hard that I just no longer enjoy them. I also don't enjoy the online communities like I used to. It's filled with kids and trolls (not something I want to put up with when I get home from work).

About me:

I have been playing games since I was 5yrs old when nes came out. I played  up to ps1 then switched to pc games since then. The last game I can actually remember enjoying was Lineage 2 from 2003 - 2006, and ragnarok online 2000-2003. It seems every game that has come out for pc since 2003 has been a failed copycat game, and for consols they just lost the fun/creativity since 2000 for me. Hobbies I have done other than gaming:

Had a few girl friends but no longer have any interest for realizing what western women are.

Watched just about every movie and have heard just about every song 100+ times.

I would like to hear from other single male adults here what they have found to replace the time gap for video games. I'm so bored that it is depressing me to no end. I really have tried every single game and they all fall under the same 4 copycat game genres for me. The mmorpg's I once loved have been changed into on of these 4 genre's I don't enjoy:

Sandbox Games Copy+Pasted content games

WoW Style Games - instanced everything and faction based.

Pay to win model.

All fps games seem the same to me.

I must say that I recently played final fantasy 4 on nintendo ds and enjoyed every minute of it. So maybe it is not just me. Maybe I miss those old story lines with character build up and felt like the game had meaning and was fun. I don't know. What I do know is I really haven't enjoyed any new games that came out since 2006 and I have tried all of them. Any ideas for new hobbies?

You don't have an interest in women.

You enjoy physical activities with other men.

You're searching for something new after 30 years.

Hmmm...  I know it's not a hobby, but have you considered an alternative lifestyle?

• bliss14bliss14 eleva, WIPosts: 565Member
    Originally posted by Hazelle

You don't have an interest in women.

You enjoy physical activities with other men.

You're searching for something new after 30 years.

Hmmm...  I know it's not a hobby, but have you considered an alternative lifestyle?

I have to admit I was curious when this line of questioning would come up.  Never should have put the western women thing in.  Tut-tut.

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Denver, COPosts: 1,248Member
    Originally posted by Castillle

Offtopic : Tsk tsk tsk.  Soul didnt you know that filipinas go gaga over foreigners? No seriously they go gaga over foreigners.

Well, I'm half pinoy, so ... once they find out I'm mestizo - the novelty is kinda gone lol...

I dated two Filipinas so far , they were both 22, and it didn't go well at all...(too young, one still had a curfew and had to ask her mom if she could leave the house all the time)

I need a real older woman, but most of them already have husbands and multiple kids XD

• DekronDekron Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 9,490Member

Masterbate profusley. 

Each pop will pass minutes of happy fun time.

• AnslemAnslem Ft. Lauderdale, FLPosts: 215Member

Books are good.  You could read some of those. 

Are you bored of your job, too?  Maybe get another degree?  Or find a job that you like more if you don't like your job.

Since you've heard every song at least 100x, maybe start up a boy (man) band?  Or show your skills at song recognition by playing SongPop on Facebook.

You could hit up "the club" and be the creepy old dude at the club who leers at all the 20-somethings-eastern-women.

If you do that, remember to wear polyester and a v-neck sweater.  

Reality TV can be a mind numbing past time too.

Oh, and, start wearing a retinol.  You'll thank me later. 

Edited to recommend Hello Kitty Online.  East Meets West in a happy marriage of fun and lore. 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• HazelleHazelle Brampton, ONPosts: 760Member
    Originally posted by Dekron

Masterbate profusley. 

Each pop will pass minutes of happy fun time.

I'm sure he's already doing a lot of that since he rejects the company of women.

• MytobMytob WorcesterPosts: 79Member
    Get some pets. Snakes are great fun and minimal hassle. Get into photography. It will get you out and about and you have something nice to show for it (just get a decent camera!).

• CleffyCleffy San Diego, CAPosts: 4,625Member Uncommon
    I suggest picking up eccentric board games, playing them at hobby shops, and telling everyone how good games were back in your day.
  • MytobMytob WorcesterPosts: 79Member
    good one lol!

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne LondonPosts: 1,420Member

I'll be 40 in May. 

First of all, is there anything that you would really like to experience in your life? I think other people have touched on this by suggesting things like outdoor activities. At your age, I really wanted to visit a deserted desert island in the ocean and do some scuba diving. I managed to get that experience.

If I were the OP, I would try to get a job that you enjoy so much it doesn't seem like work.

This could be a very big challenge though!

In your spare time, you could try internet dating sites. Finding the right person and settling down feels more important later on - particularly if you haven't by the time you are 39 years old, like me!

I agree with the person who suggests that when you hit 40, you feel really old and aware of your mortality. For one thing, your parents become more frail. It's not a great experience, so if I were you I would make the most of things.

Start thinking about your financial future when you retire - but I know it seems a long way off.

Don't worry about games too much because you can take them or leave them at any time at a moment's notice.

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,906Member Uncommon

Weird. I alwas thought the world is so full and rich of wonderful and interesting things, that one just has to open your eyes!

Dance

Sing

Play tabletop games

Knit

Draw

Write

Read

Walk in nature

Study history

I dunno, how can anyone get bored in this world? ^^

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• Man1acMan1ac EnglandPosts: 1,428Member
    Get BioShock Infinite when it comes out.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• StonesDKStonesDK SomewherePosts: 1,805Member
    Originally posted by Vardahoth

Do you even lift?