Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the PvP an afterthought or real part of the game?

Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
I enjoy both the PvE and PvP asepects of an mmo, but the main draw of PvE to me is gearing up for PvP.  PvP is the true end game of an mmo for me.  I enjoyed DAoC, warhammer, and earlier bg/arena WoW too.  All that being said, would I enjoy this game?  Is PvP just an afterthought in AoW or is it a true viable endgame?  Is there any kind of PvP progression?  Thanks in advance for any information given.

Comments

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    It's an open PvP game without safe zones, so PvP is hardly an afterthought. It's an integral part of the game and there are multiple ways to PvP.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Biskop
    It's an open PvP game without safe zones, so PvP is hardly an afterthought. It's an integral part of the game and there are multiple ways to PvP.

How is low level ganking handled?

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

You can holler for help in your school channel. You can also respawn far enough away that you can choose another area to do whatever PvE activity you were doing. There are a ton of towns you can use your teleport for. If you are getting ganked over and over again it is your own fault.

*edit*

Teleport cooldown is only 10 minutes.

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Are there any rewards or progression of any kind for PvP?  Titles, gear, ranks, emblems, anything?
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Let us count the PVP ways -  1) Anywhere after level 5. 2)School wars. 3)Guild wars. 4)Dungeons or Instances in this game where players are ported in to fight for the boss'. 5)Script stealing event. 

Thats just off of the top of my head. There is more.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Sal1

Let us count the PVP ways -  1) Anywhere after level 5. 2)School wars. 3)Guild wars. 4)Dungeons or Instances in this game where players are ported in to fight for the boss'. 5)Script stealing event. 

Thats just off of the top of my head. There is more.

Sounds like a ganker's paradise, hey that would be a good song - nevemind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3w_xAx823k lol

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Iceman8235
     Is PvP just an afterthought in AoW or is it a true viable endgame?  

It seems built from the ground up with PvP at its core. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

clan position battle

in future

battle arena with 2 modes, team deathmatch or deathmatch

in far far future

5th instance battlefield like in Hotk

once a week tournament for heavenly sword and for top 5 titles with fashions one per person

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Kuppa

By strict punishment. Jail, which takes a hefty chunk of cash to buy out of, Prison which you can't buy out of; I had an 1h 30m time out once, beheadings which give a harsh 3 day debuff, jail does too, but not nearly as long or harsh. 

This is all done by players. Constables and bounties. Guards can arrest you if you are "wanted" that's an infamy level above 2k which amounts to about 5 pks. Guards are the least of your worries though, the just mess up you day by not allowing you to move freely around the cities.

The most important thing, and signs of a good system is the culture that is being formed beyond the hard rules. This game taught me that I'm not a serial pkr, but a person not to cross.

Trust me kuppa low level ganking is not an issue in this game at all. It just doesn't make since.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

As the player above said, gankers can be captured and there is a bounty system.

That said, it does seem like people who are not a fan of being ganked as a lowbie might have trouble with this game. At least in the Russian version, many players seem somewhat apathic toward others being killed.

Personally I got destroyed by a much higher strength opponent 5 minutes into the game, while I was talking to a quest NPC :p None of the other dudes standing around bothered to do anything.

You also see a number of high level players who come to the entrance of the first instance etc. to try and score some quick kills, in that case it does often go the wrong way for them as 10+ newbies can still do quite a bit of damage.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

PVP is definitivly integrated to the game. Another mode which isn't described in previous posts is guild land claiming.

Your guild can claim land in the persistant world, build and fight with other guilds over this spot. You can also sack other guilds places.

I've been on the russian server for a few days and only been ganked once by a "high level". It didn't bother me since he will probabl do jail for it.

Today some guy that conned "stronger than you" tried to remove me from some iron but since he didn't use parry at all and stod still while fighting I smoked him.

I'm inclined to say this game is the first to implement open world pvp correctly on the ground. The closest comparison is probably EVE but that is space. 

• TolmosTolmos Member UncommonPosts: 141

PvP is definitely a core mechanic of the game, and as a PvPer who isn't a fan of ganking I think it is done exceptionally well.

From the moment I log in until the moment I log out, all I do is kill other players. I spy and purposely get caught, I run as a constable and catch criminal players, I hunt down and save kidnapped players, I join script stealing and protection missions regularly, and I participate in guild battles regularly. Minus the 25 minutes I spend each day Team Practicing on both of my characters, I spend every second of my in game time PvPing.

On the other hand, there are players who NEVER PvP. They farm (literally, not figuratively. They crow crops lol), they craft, they hunt materials, they hunt animals, they buy and sell, they instance, and whatever other things PvE players do in this game.

Ganking exists, but is minimal because the punishment for doing so is... extreme. Sitting in jail sucks. Repenting sucks. These two things keep gankers in check, and give the rest of us the added pleasure of viewing their ganker tears on forums at least once a day as they wait out said punishment time.

Their tears sustain me, btw.

All together, this game definitely has something for everyone. I have a lot of issues with the publisher of this game here in the US (Snail games), but I besides some expected closed beta bugs and some translation errors I have very few issues with the game itself.

Are you guys/gals that are playing paying for anything? Is this game f2p??

It is free to play with time restrictions During the Beta #2. 10 hours for the first day (or for the first 2 days this may have changed check there forum). And then 1 hour per day afterwards. 

It is free to play with time restrictions During the Beta #2. 10 hours for the first day (or for the first 2 days this may have changed check there forum). And then 1 hour per day afterwards. 

Do you know what will be the model when it releases? Will it have any box price or sub? f2p with cash shop? f2p with premium accounts?

Do you know what will be the model when it releases? Will it have any box price or sub? f2p with cash shop? f2p with premium accounts?

No box price. Free to play with premium accounts and cash shop. Is that called a Hybrid pay model? Anyone?