Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A very interesting game.

EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

The curiosity bug bit me on this one and have noticed some players on the website even praising the game once you figure it out. My questions are pretty simple and maybe you will know.

1. Is AoW going to be a FFAPvP like Lineage 2 and countless other foreign mmo's? 

2. I noticed in the game you have 8 factions to choose from when the time comes, however I am still confused if your character could stay on the side of good or go down the road of being bad or better yet, stay neutral?

3. Is there only 1 starting zone? Or if I picked a different story, would it put me somewhere else in the world with a different starting zone?

4. Does the game follow the traditional WoW formula where you just grind for gear and weapons from mobs or is it player base economy where players make the superior weapons / gear and items?

I am pretty sure I will have more questions, however I did like my brief experience in the game and thought it was pretty cool how the world is persistent even when I log out my character, then a few hours later noticing my character has been wandering around town and getting into mischief :) (for a minute there I thought someone was playing my account - lol) here my character has a mind of his own.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by JR4D

The curiosity bug bit me on this one and have noticed some players on the website even praising the game once you figure it out. My questions are pretty simple and maybe you will know.

1. Is AoW going to be a FFAPvP like Lineage 2 and countless other foreign mmo's? 

2. I noticed in the game you have 8 factions to choose from when the time comes, however I am still confused if your character could stay on the side of good or go down the road of being bad or better yet, stay neutral?

3. Is there only 1 starting zone? Or if I picked a different story, would it put me somewhere else in the world with a different starting zone?

4. Does the game follow the traditional WoW formula where you just grind for gear and weapons from mobs or is it player base economy where players make the superior weapons / gear and items?

I am pretty sure I will have more questions, however I did like my brief experience in the game and thought it was pretty cool how the world is persistent even when I log out my character, then a few hours later noticing my character has been wandering around town and getting into mischief :) (for a minute there I thought someone was playing my account - lol) here my character has a mind of his own.

Thanks in advance!

3. Different story, different start zone

4. Player economy

2. 8 schools 3 Good, 3 Evil, 2 neutral.

1. Open world PvP no loot

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• PitrocelliPitrocelli Member CommonPosts: 9

As a fellow L2 player i have the need to warn you. I used to love Lineage 2 becouse of open world PvP, PK system, politics and non-instanced world ( up to C5 ? ) That's why i tried AoW.

For player like me who loved early L2 chronicles and hates heavily instanced GOD chronicle AoW failed to reach my expectations.

1, Game is heavily instanced and many of top expensive spell books are dropped inside of instances. Sure you can gain enough unbound silver by craft , kidnap or donate  and buy those books but you cant prevent your enemies from getting them. You can sabotage random group progress as assasin but instance party and your allies are chosen randomly and rewards are shit.

2, You can teleport from anywhere to any point you have in your teleport book. There is just time limit. You are also teleported if you join some event like spying inside enemy school territory, random duel challenge or several other ingame activities like clan robbery. It breaks my immersion, you cant chase player you dislike. Imagine unlimited scroll of escape to any area in L2. 

3, There is NO penalty for death. ZERO. ABSOLUTE NONE. This was dealbreaker for me. In lineage you lost % of your experience, here you loose nothink or some of your bound gold (which is esentially worthless). In this game fastest way to level up your skills is team practice. You join with 9- players and train together. Becouse of zero death penalty there is sort of people who attacks this group, breaks and resets your training routine while he loses nothink. He respawns and does this again. I have seen players doing this for days, every time they have been logged in.  

4, In L2 there have been castle sieges at given time. Here you clan can be attacked anytime and all buildings can be burned to ground. Clans withour their clan base cant be attacked back, you cant hurt them ingame. You can PK them for zero harm. Then they mark you as criminal and if catched you go to jail unable to play game for hours. 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

Thanks in advance!

1) The game is FFA PvP however you get punished more for certain behavior depending on your school, that is you should probably avoid killing your own school members in any type of open world scenario (this does not include school wars or assasin events), as your school looks down on that. Other schools look down on just killing people, the "good
    " schools of shaolin and wudang and emei..and the neutral school of scholars...even the tangman school has a dim view of crazy amounts of blood shed

2) The factions determine which skills you start with, and as per answer #1 can limit what you want to do...you can still do anything but your school might make you repent more (for scholars its sitting at a desk writing in a book)

school rules can be found here http://www.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/School_Rules , however you can be a good scholar or evil shaolin or neutral anything..as the alignment system is based off of what you do in game not your school you pick

3)each storyline starts in a different area

4) Mobs drop zero gear, none at all. It is all player made. They do drop some skills and recipies though.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Thanks!

I been hitting their official forums, but just looking for simple questions to answers, I was having a heck of a time.

From what you folks described, it's best not to lone wolf the game like many other instant grafication mmo's we got out there and hooking up with other players or friends is the best way to go into this game. 

I am going to dabble in this game and see were it leads, but appreciate all the answers you folks have given me.

One and final question though, there has been talk that AoW maybe a sort of P2W type model mmo, now I had my share of P2W mmo's like APB, is this rumor true? I know players define P2W in so many different ways these days.

Thanks again! image

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

Thanks!

I been hitting their official forums, but just looking for simple questions to answers, I was having a heck of a time.

From what you folks described, it's best not to lone wolf the game like many other instant grafication mmo's we got out there and hooking up with other players or friends is the best way to go into this game. 

I am going to dabble in this game and see were it leads, but appreciate all the answers you folks have given me.

One and final question though, there has been talk that AoW maybe a sort of P2W type model mmo, now I had my share of P2W mmo's like APB, is this rumor true? I know players define P2W in so many different ways these days.

Thanks again! image

P2W, maybe not. I paid for deluxe but only 3 dollars after that just to test out the pay to win idea. My three dollars shaved an hour and a half off of my cultivation time using the martial arts training method. That may seem like a good bit but my skills are at a point now they have 24 hours to cultivate. The higher you are the more time it takes to go up to the next level. This is the one area you can literally pay money to get ahead though. I do not think anyone who has taken part in this has gotten as large a head start as the 300 dollars they dumped in probably would justify. For instance I am now 4 skill points away from maxing out my inner wisdom skill. After that its just beefing up some of my less used skills until they release more of the content so I will be effectively caught up to anyone who paid anything. Plus group combat really negates individual awesomeness and trust me you get a bounty on your head you are going to have a group coming after you.

P2W, possibly. The chinese version has some skill in the cash shop, skills only gotten from the cash shop, some of the asian players say this is pure pay to win and I tend to agree. The american release team has said they will avoid this as long as they do I would say it is not P2W yet but of course it would be Pay to get ahead faster. I would definately say vip has a big advantage over non-vip in that we cultivate while offline, otherwise you would have to set up your toon to stay online while you went afk to sleep, eat, work, date (remove any of the preceding as you wish).

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

2. well its hard to stay neutral, depends with who You will be in party it will affect Your character, You wont get answer which is better, as different npc like diff characters one will give quest to good person other to evil etc

3. 4 starting map each with own story, each few months another chapter of story, atm chinese version have 2 chapters

@Pitrocelli even if L2 was non instanced You still had to go to queen ant and orfen, antharas, or farm mobs like crazy for B,A grade mats   / L2C2  best!!

teleporting got cooldown, SoE also had no one cried about it

there is penalty stackable debuff 3 deaths=100% weight in L2

burning at any time dont do a s#$% to Your guild only at certain hour it will damage

5styles out of almost 60 in CS, best styles are from instances

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Thanks!

Thanks again! image

This is so true. And the same with the endless debate on these forums on what is the definition of a sandbox.