Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: The Ground War Begins on January 10th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new developer blog on the official EVE Online site, the migration of current DUST 514 players into the EVE universe will begin "after a slightly longer than usual scheduled downtime" on Thursday, January 10th. DUST players can be recruited into corporations and will appear in General chat as well.

Besides just chatting about the weather or sharing battle stories, we are also introducing the first component of higher level gameplay as part of Faction Warfare. DUST mercenaries can accept contracts offered by the NPC Faction Warfare miltias and fight to attack or defend them in the form of corporation battles. These come with the risk of losing a collateral payment of ISK, but a victory will secure a district on one of the many temperate planets in Faction Warfare space. The more districts a militia has control over the fewer victory points will be required for EVE Faction Warfare pilots to take ownership of the system.

Read more about the interaction between the two games on the EVE Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071
    Pretty epic concept. Nice to see the game coming along.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Wish it was for PC :(

• TwiggLeTwiggLe Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I've played Dust514 off/on here and there. It's pretty nice once you get in game. But the area before is some what confusing and really laggy still.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Whoa, wait a minute. Players will be doing FPS stuff instead of space combat? For some reason, that sounds far more interesting that flying a fighter ship.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Whoa, wait a minute. Players will be doing FPS stuff instead of space combat? For some reason, that sounds far more interesting that flying a fighter ship.

It's a separate world. Players from eve can contract the players, but you can't really interact much. Supposedly there will be a system so that eve players can drop in with their ships and blow the crap out of people in Dust, but as of yet there is not information on if dust players can get out into the stars. As it stands it is pretty much a stand alone FTP FPS that totes, "limited" connectivity to the world of EVE.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    Originally posted by lizardbones

It's a separate world. Players from eve can contract the players, but you can't really interact much. Supposedly there will be a system so that eve players can drop in with their ships and blow the crap out of people in Dust, but as of yet there is not information on if dust players can get out into the stars. As it stands it is pretty much a stand alone FTP FPS that totes, "limited" connectivity to the world of EVE.

It's limited compared to where CCP is headed with the link, but what is arriving is far more than just chat.

The DUST 514 mercenaries are fighting on the temperate planets in the Factional Warfare (FW) zones of EVE Online. More importantly, they can take contracts to fight for control of a district on a planet, which directly affects the balance of power in EVE Online when it comes to FW ownership of a system.

The interaction is even more up close and personal with the Tactical Strikes, where DUST 514 players coordinate with EVE Online players to "rain fire from the skies" in the form of a Tactical Strike. Beyond just communicating between two games, you now have actual combat interaction between the two games on two separate platforms.

Again, this is limited connectivity compared to where CCP is heading with the integration of the two games within the EVE Universe, but as a feature set, it's a really great technological step forward for cross-platform online gaming.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    [mod edit]
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    As long as this is PS3 exclusive, it will be an afterthought.  
  • SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Dust 514 is a sub-par shooter with an incredible amount of grinding. Dust 514 sounded awesome on paper but the reality is disappointing.
  • JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    They've should have made this for PC. Though marketing wise, I can see why they did so.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Jorl
    They've should have made this for PC. Though marketing wise, I can see why they did so.

And why is that?  Because I can see no upside to making it a PS3 exclusive, especially this late in the console lifecycle.

You make me like charity

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    This is a remarkable technological achievement. Two different games in two different platforms interacting with each other and making effective impact, it's especially interesting to see the effect on the EVE economy.
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    They should concentrate on EVE or EVE-Next

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Should have been for pc
    1 pc can handle this stuff better, there's reason Sony haven't released their own game planetside 2 on the ps3
    2 you could dual account eve and dust and if you fancied taking part in the ground war, just temporarily switch games.
    3 you could still use your mumble or whatever chat with your corp regardless of if you're in eve or dust.
    4 would have sold more with eve players picking it up. I'm not sure eve players typically also own ps3s.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by Lonzo

Could not agree more the fact that they using my subs to make this pile of crap is what annoyes me.

Asbo

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by NightBandit

Could not agree more the fact that they using my subs to make this pile of crap is what annoyes me.

u can cancel your sub anytime

BestSigEver :P

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I don't know why there's so much hate towards Dust514. Just grab your PS3, connect a keyboard and a mouse via USB and happily start shooting stuff. You don't need to play it with an effing controller.

Additionally, the PS3 makes Dust514 very resiliant to hacks and cheats, which I happily live with instead of playing any other FPS on the PC, where hacks and cheats are mandatory to even have the slightest chance.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I would play this on PC for sure. I own PS3 but I dont play games with it much, the pad is just... Gahh... Maybe when the game gets proper mouse+kb support I will buy a set fpr PS3 for this game.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by NightBandit

I hear that if just one more person whines about Dust being a console game, CCP will go back in time and rework it as a PC project.

You know what you have to do, NightBandit. You can save us all.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    I would play this on PC for sure. I own PS3 but I dont play games with it much, the pad is just... Gahh... Maybe when the game gets proper mouse+kb support I will buy a set fpr PS3 for this game.

I'm not a fan of the controller so I play DUST 514 with keyboard and mouse exclusively. What is it that you don't care for or feel is improper about the keyboard and mouse controls?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Originally posted by Kuinn

The game has native keyboard and mouse support for month allready. Just plug in your USB-keyboard and mouse and shoot.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

Its kinda funny. A lot of times I was considering who would play this game. Then I saw my two sons of 7 and 10 years running around in Planetside 2 headshooting old farts like me...

A free to play FPS on the PS3 might just be the crazy thing that gets the most unlikely crowd playing the hell out of it.

But they sure as hell wont be your avarage EvE players, and I guess that was JUST what CCP was aiming for...

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by asmkm22

And why is that?  Because I can see no upside to making it a PS3 exclusive, especially this late in the console lifecycle.

Ask MS how fond they are of allowing F2P online games, with regular updates, on their P2P Xbox-Live platform.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by asmkm22

That was my point, Consoles are a lot popular than PCs when it comes to gaming, unfortunetly so we're seeing a lot of good games which would be better played on a PC but cheaper to slap onto a console, and they get bigger profits for it.

• scrittyscritty Member Posts: 89

I can't even fathom the purpose of two such wildly different genres interactimg across 2 completely different platforms.

What next -  - WiiU Mario Karts interacts with Dwarf Fortress?

Why? I mean just Why? Is there any crossover in players. Am I paying my subs so that YET ANOTHER FPS gets developed?

How many more FPS's does this world need? Aren't there 35,000 of them released every year already?

I love EvE, been quad boxing it for the last 9 years without a single month off - but it's the antithesis of FPS - the last FPS I played was Quake 2 and I have zero interest in ever playing one again.

@ Jorl you need to qualify that with consoles are more popular than PC's for TWITCH gaming. Overall PC sales are not far behind PS3 or Xbox if you include online sales for all platforms (and now in 2013 you really should include online sales...why wouldn't you?) The other downside is (and I say this as someone who owns a PS3 and a 360) these consoles are now very very old and several generations behind the PC in terms of ability. Made for PC games [none ports] look so much better, play so much more smoothly and so much more content than these consoles whose technology is almost 8 years old..Man in tech terms that's ANCIENT..and it shows.