Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online: Daggerfall Covenant Questions Answered

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Part one of the "Ask Us Anything" series for The Elder Scrolls Online has been posted. The questions in this particular article surround the Daggerfall Covenant and were asked by fans of the upcoming MMO.

Will the religious differences within the three races, particularly those of the Orcs and Redguards, be emphasized? Will there be Daedra-worshipping cults?  – By Emmy Mariner

Political alliances and enmities can either mitigate or exaggerate religious differences. The leaders of the Covenant are eager to suppress religious conflicts between Bretons, Redguards, and Orcs in the interest of solidarity. And Orcish leaders, such as King Kurog, emphasize that the Orcs of Orsinium worship Mauloch, who absolutely isn’t a Daedric Prince at all, honest. It’s those other Orcs who worship the Daedra Lord Malacath.

Read the full Q&A on The Elder Scrolls Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    While I understand the importance of asking questions regarding the lore, considering this is a TES game after all, I'm still baffled as to why there's too much emphasis on this. What about questions regarding actual gameplay? Are people simply satisfied with what they've seen in the trailers? I, for one, feel like the game needs some major improvements, borderline "overhauls". It's not looking/feeling like a TES game at all!
  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    While I understand the importance of asking questions regarding the lore, considering this is a TES game after all, I'm still baffled as to why there's too much emphasis on this. What about questions regarding actual gameplay? Are people simply satisfied with what they've seen in the trailers? I, for one, feel like the game needs some major improvements, borderline "overhauls". It's not looking/feeling like a TES game at all!

I'm 100% sure those questions were just ignored

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

From a nElder Scroll perspectie the "Lore" is the most important thing about the game.  I am 100% positive the devs know that gameplay questions are just as important but for their longtime viability they must asuage the fears of so many fans of the single player series so they can get on board.  Its only natural.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Lore questions are easy to answer, and hard to somehow not follow through with upon release.  Basically, they can make it look like their engaging the community when they really aren't.

You make me like charity

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

Players:  Why are you making 3 factions and limiting races to those factions - It doesn't even make sense lorewise.

Devs:  Yes it does, here is a whole bunch of lore we had rewritten to fit our idea of 3 factions into this game... enjoy!

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

They talk about the lore to show they are qualified prophets of the TES production to recreate it as the Gods would have instructed them to. 

So if they are prophets, working for the Gods from Tamriel, then who are we mortals from earth to question their canon?

Set your disbelief and doubts aside, and trust in the devine interpretation of those that are loved by the Gods of Tamriel as the most worthy to recreate such fantastical creations.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by sapphen

Players:  Why are you making 3 factions and limiting races to those factions - It doesn't even make sense lorewise.

Devs:  Yes it does, here is a whole bunch of lore we had rewritten to fit our idea of 3 factions into this game... enjoy!

couldnt put any better +1

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The factions they've picked don't male sense to me. They should have gone.

Breton, redguard, nord
    High elf, wood elf, dark elf
    Orc, khajit, argonian

Imo, although dark elves are still a dubious fit there.

Well if going with 3 factions
  • I really dont like this? I want to be a Nord but my friend a Breton? so we cant play together and pvp together, sorry but what the FK is this? an mmo we cant play with friends or pvp with friends because of this limiting faction, why cant we pick race and then faction? what the frakin hell is this seriously? suck an awesome amazing looking game ruined by this fail faction restriction.
  • SoulrynSoulryn Member Posts: 11

I am laughing so hard. 

Now you´re complaining that you cant play with your friend, if you pick different races in different factions. In WoW, if you want to playan Orc, and your friend a Human, then you wont play together either.

Its nice how doomsayers find reason to hate the game, everytime.

• Originally posted by Soulryn

I am laughing so hard. 

Now you´re complaining that you cant play with your friend, if you pick different races in different factions. In WoW, if you want to playan Orc, and your friend a Human, then you wont play together either.

Sorry pal but get you're f head out you're arse, this is The elder scrolls, where you make a char YOU want, Why force me to play an ugly fu high elf to play with my friend? are you serious you are this god dam fu fanboy already? i love TES series but making an mmo this way, as for WoW you serious? you fu serious? wow has alliance and horde with many races on each faction, of which you get many choices, dont even try and compair wow to this, this is THE FU ELDER SCROLLS, i should pick and play how I WANT like in all the other games. MMO should be about choice, why cant we pick a race and then a faction? like guildwars 2 storyline faction or how in wow pandaren can be alliance or horde after tutorial, ever thought about that?

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by azzamasin

From a nElder Scroll perspectie the "Lore" is the most important thing about the game.  I am 100% positive the devs know that gameplay questions are just as important but for their longtime viability they must asuage the fears of so many fans of the single player series so they can get on board.  Its only natural.

Although I like reading on ESO lore, these kind of updates with no gameplay give me the chills. SWTOR anyone?

With each day being closer to launch (announced for 2013 btw) and no gameplay updates, makes me more hesitant to buy this game at launch. No matter how much hyped I am for this one, I will certainly not make a decision to buy it based just on concept art, screenshots and lore fluff.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by AdamChattaway
    I really dont like this? I want to be a Nord but my friend a Breton? so we cant play together and pvp together, sorry but what the FK is this? an mmo we cant play with friends or pvp with friends because of this limiting faction, why cant we pick race and then faction? what the frakin hell is this seriously? suck an awesome amazing looking game ruined by this fail faction restriction.

This is my problem with the game so far as well.

Their design timeline seems to have been: -

DAOC was really successful for it's PvP, lets make DAOC2...oops I mean TESO.

OK so we need 3 factions for the PvP.

Cool, now to stop everyone playing the cool races we need to mix them up, so each faction can get a cool race, a weird race and a mildy interesting race.

OK so Bretons and Nords are neighbours and friends, and red guards fit in well...but lets make Nords and Bretons enemies...we got to make the PvP work right?

And to quote the post"Individual Bretons and Redguards may not be happy about it"...

Sure they might not be happy about it but due to the fact you are race locked into factions there is fuck all you can do about it. You can't move, you can't leave, you can't defect, you can't emigrate, you can't run away...in fact you can't even go outside the borders of your faction lands.

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!! NOT!

• Originally posted by Maelwydd
    Originally posted by AdamChattaway
    I really dont like this? I want to be a Nord but my friend a Breton? so we cant play together and pvp together, sorry but what the FK is this? an mmo we cant play with friends or pvp with friends because of this limiting faction, why cant we pick race and then faction? what the frakin hell is this seriously? suck an awesome amazing looking game ruined by this fail faction restriction.

This is my problem with the game so far as well.

Their design timeline seems to have been: -

DAOC was really successful for it's PvP, lets make DAOC2...oops I mean TESO.

OK so we need 3 factions for the PvP.

Cool, now to stop everyone playing the cool races we need to mix them up, so each faction can get a cool race, a weird race and a mildy interesting race.

OK so Bretons and Nords are neighbours and friends, and red guards fit in well...but lets make Nords and Bretons enemies...we got to make the PvP work right?

And to quote the post"Individual Bretons and Redguards may not be happy about it"...

Sure they might not be happy about it but due to the fact you are race locked into factions there is fuck all you can do about it. You can't move, you can't leave, you can't defect, you can't emigrate, you can't run away...in fact you can't even go outside the borders of your faction lands.

FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!! NOT!

Exactly TBH it makes far much more fu sense to allow us to pick the faction we fight for, british born citizens going all alqaeda ect. why cant we pick, an TES game is about choice, not limiting us to play factions/races we dont want or like just to play with friends, if my mate went horde i would say fuck that and stay alliance, just like i will in this game.

They actually already explained why the Alliances were created, and why the races joined.

It makes sense, at least lore-wide, and I am saying this as long-time Roleplayer. You, of course, cant join, for example Daggerfall Covenant as an Elf, because they are in war with elves. Its the same like you cant play for a Human as a Hordie in WoW. It has exactly same reasoning, Alliance and Horde have a reasons for War, and so 3 Alliances in TESO have. Reasoning for war and creation of Alliances is at TESO official website already, and you can discuss it on forums.

Of course, for the sake of reality, there should be a "betrayal" quest to join the enemy. However, its not in WoW, and I think its not nessecery. In Vanilla WoW, you had 8 races in whole game. Here, you have 9. I am not saying "ITS BETTER CUZ ITS MOAR", but its quite decent number for you to pick. If you want to play a Breton, and your friends wants to be an Elf, its like when you want to play for Allies and your friend for Germans in CoD2. You are just at war. DOT.

I got your idea, I know what you want, but you need to realize that several things are just not possible to impletement into MMO world. This is not going to be Skyrim Online. Its going to be MMO with quite strong The Elder Scrolls taste.

I think you can actually count me as a fan boy, because I am kinda excited about this game. I am live-long Elder Scrolls player, and it will be nice to explore Tamriel with my friends. However, I do not expect possibilities and sandboxy features like we have in Skyrim, as its not possible to do in MMO, in my very humple opinion.

Have a nice day.

EDIT.: Many of you guys are QQing that you cant actually betray your faction, that you cant join for example EP as Breton, but imagine yourself in ZOS´s skin.

You want to do race based Alliances (most lore-friendly solution), with possibility to betray and join different faction. How will you prevent the situation that, for example, majority of Bretons will play for EP, even if Breton King rules in DC? Will there be some "betrayal cap", or something? That would just remove one restriction to create another. ESO franchise is not created for so sandboxy features. It has very rich lore, and ZOS know that they should not fuck it up. Thats why its Themepark.

Exactly TBH it makes far much more fu sense to allow us to pick the faction we fight for, british born citizens going all alqaeda ect. why cant we pick, an TES game is about choice, not limiting us to play factions/races we dont want or like just to play with friends, if my mate went horde i would say fuck that and stay alliance, just like i will in this game.

How many british citizens are actually fighting for terrorists? About 0,00001%?

How will you prevent that majority of one race wont desert their home alliance just for the sake of bigger zerg in Cyrodiil on the other side?

Real world regulates itself. MMO world does not.

Originally posted by Soulryn

They actually already explained why the Alliances were created, and why the races joined.

It makes sense, at least lore-wide, and I am saying this as long-time Roleplayer. You, of course, cant join, for example Daggerfall Covenant as an Elf, because they are in war with elves. Its the same like you cant play for a Human as a Hordie in WoW. It has exactly same reasoning, Alliance and Horde have a reasons for War, and so 3 Alliances in TESO have. Reasoning for war and creation of Alliances is at TESO official website already, and you can discuss it on forums.

Of course, for the sake of reality, there should be a "betrayal" quest to join the enemy. However, its not in WoW, and I think its not nessecery. In Vanilla WoW, you had 8 races in whole game. Here, you have 9. I am not saying "ITS BETTER CUZ ITS MOAR", but its quite decent number for you to pick. If you want to play a Breton, and your friends wants to be an Elf, its like when you want to play for Allies and your friend for Germans in CoD2. You are just at war. DOT.

I got your idea, I know what you want, but you need to realize that several things are just not possible to impletement into MMO world. This is not going to be Skyrim Online. Its going to be MMO with quite strong The Elder Scrolls taste.

I think you can actually count me as a fan boy, because I am kinda excited about this game. I am live-long Elder Scrolls player, and it will be nice to explore Tamriel with my friends. However, I do not expect possibilities and sandboxy features like we have in Skyrim, as its not possible to do in MMO, in my very humple opinion.

Have a nice day.

Your entire argument relies on using WOW to validate it...

Plus, tough luck, you cannot explore Tamriel with your friends. At best you can see 40% of the world with a character. If you want to explore Tamriel you will all have to create an alt for each faction and play the same faction at the same time. If your friend logged in as a Nord and you log in as a Breton...sorry, tough luck, you can only meet up in the PvP area and try using RP to explain why you are not killing each other on sight...and don't use "We are friends" because if that was possible the game would allow people of different races to join the same faction. It doesn't so you can't.

The rest of it, as far as the information tells us so far, is hidden behind invisible "can't come in, you are the wrong faction" walls.

Basically the good stuff about TES is the "Freedom to play how YOU want" vibe. The bad stuff about TESO is the "Freedom to play how WE want" vibe.

Have a nice day.

EDIT.: Many of you guys are QQing that you cant actually betray your faction, that you cant join for example EP as Breton, but imagine yourself in ZOS´s skin.

You want to do race based Alliances (most lore-friendly solution), with possibility to betray and join different faction. How will you prevent the situation that, for example, majority of Bretons will play for EP, even if Breton King rules in DC? Will there be some "betrayal cap", or something? That would just remove one restriction to create another. ESO franchise is not created for so sandboxy features. It has very rich lore, and ZOS know that they should not fuck it up. Thats why its Themepark.

Before i read more of you're post may i say in WOW how many times did alliance and horde fight together? how many druids of both horde and alliance are itn eh ward? countless times opposite factions can speak or fight together. pandaren can be horde or alliance cant they. in real life and in a roleplaying view people from other countrys or factions can switch sides, russian spys workign for america ect.

How many british citizens are actually fighting for terrorists? About 0,00001%?

How will you prevent that majority of one race wont desert their home alliance just for the sake of bigger zerg in Cyrodiil on the other side?

Real world regulates itself. MMO world does not.

Whats to stop everyone joining 1 faction anyway? how does allowing a nord to pick their faction any different from not allowing it? if people want to zerg they will always join the biggest faction. actually picking our own race then faction will stop zerging as much as people wont all play the cool nords, peopel who dont like any race sin the faction their friend splay on wont play it therefore its unbalanced.

I am laughing so hard. 

I kind of thought the same thing but you have to understand that not everyone who's going to be playing this game is familiar with MMO standards.  From all he knows he can pick the different races in the original games without being tied down to a faction.

I mean THIS IS A BIG DEAL!  Do you know HOW LONG elder scroll fans have been waiting to play a multiplayer version of our beloved game?  Now instead of getting that, we're being handed a generic piece of crap by a group of developers/publishers/investors who think they know best.  They are turning their back on the source material because they want to play it safe but imo that is more risky than making an original product.

It was the same thing with SWTOR.  They shouldn't have make an MMO but a multiplayer version of KOTOR.  They wouldn't have been held to retarded expectations or compromise the intergity of their product to satisfy what they think the players want.  Now they are doing it to ESO, torn between an originality and conformity.

It's doomed to fail but not because of races restricted to factions, it's going to fail because it's a MMO.  The popular formula that players are hard locked into limit this genre.  These triple A publishers wouldn't dare deviate too far from the WoW standard.  They keep pitching these 'new and innovative' ideas but at it's core it's the same thing reskinned.

People say that developers can't get too original with MMOs but who says that about other game genres.  They've been allowed to grow in all sorts of directions but the MMO is still stuck on raids, gear and formality.  The MMO market is stale and it will be many years before it finally starts growing again.

I hate the fact that this was Elder Scrolls chance for something amazing, the moment all the fans have been waiting for and it was wasted on this rubbish.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Was excited but not anymore , the idea originally excited me, the lack of substance has now turned me off as well.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Lore questions are outright dumb in a question and answer session.  I mean come on, I can make up lore on the fly too and it is just about as meaningless as these anwers.

Question and answer session should be about game play, not made up on the fly lore.

If you want someone to get interested in your game, lore is probably not going to do it.  You have to wonder about the decision to put such on a website as a question and answer session.  Makes you wonder about the game if they think this is important, especially since there is already tons of lore out there for readers perusal if they so desire.

It makes sense, at least lore-wide...

Let me stop you right there, no it does not make sense lore-wise.  They fed you crap from their writing department to alter the lore for it to make sense.  In original lore none of this makes sense.  Races that were friends are now enemies, races who do not get along are now allied and races that are loners are now jumping at the oppertunity to join others... they changed the lore to accomidate this 3 faction malformation.

The game should have never been focused around the war.  Have a war in the background and leave the factions in assigned areas but you should have to choose a faction to join and fight for (in order to particapate in PvP).   Make a questline to join a faction, make it hard for outside races to join a different faction, ignore the war completely and just explore the world even if you are mistrusted or treated as a hostile by NPCs in other territories... TES core concept is about freedom and this game does not give it to you. 

Yes, I know it's an MMO and people are expecting certian things.  I know it's easier to copy what other MMOs have done instead of creating new mechanics BUT that's the designer's job.  It is completely possible to design a game in such a way that it would be closer to elder scrolls and have a persistant online world.

Originally posted by sapphen

Let me stop you right there, no it does not make sense lore-wise.  They fed you crap from their writing department to alter the lore for it to make sense.  In original lore none of this makes sense.  Races that were friends are now enemies, races who do not get along are now allied and races that are loners are now jumping at the oppertunity to join others... they changed the lore to accomidate this 3 faction malformation.

The game should have never been focused around the war.  Have a war in the background and leave the factions in assigned areas but you should have to choose a faction to join and fight for (in order to particapate in PvP).   Make a questline to join a faction, make it hard for outside races to join a different faction, ignore the war completely and just explore the world even if you are mistrusted or treated as a hostile by NPCs in other territories... TES core concept is about freedom and this game does not give it to you. 

Yes, I know it's an MMO and people are expecting certian things.  I know it's easier to copy what other MMOs have done instead of creating new mechanics BUT that's the designer's job.  It is completely possible to design a game in such a way that it would be closer to elder scrolls and have a persistant online world.

Nail meet head...and stop hitting him so often!

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113

It's a catch 22 with game development these days. I can assure you these Devs have a design document written in stone and heavily planned. The hard part is they have a previous franchise looming over them that demands they make it like a true elder scrolls RPG.

I don't think they have the resources to create a pure sandbox elder scrolls game, which is what is required to pull this off.

They can still do well, but I would advise them to design the game to be B2P or F2P right off the bat. You don't want to implement those two pay models a year after release and then try to explain yourself to current fans, who will be upset and angry you didn't stick with a pure subscription model and now the game has failed and went F2P.

It's bad PR and leaves a fowl taste in the players mouths once you shift pay models so fast after release.

I wish them the best, but don't envy the task ahead with a generation who demands change, but becomes upset if that change doesn't include near a decade of Wows content.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor