Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15$ a month sub model is so old school!

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    Originally posted by vandal5627
    I'd rather pay the 15 dollars a month and get everything then have developers find ways to gouge you for money.  Some of those cosmetic items in these cash shop games cost more then the sub fee itself and that's just crazy.

You make it sound like you don't have a choice. Actually i am 100% for expensive cosmetic items in cash shops. I don't need them. And if a whale wants them and want to subsidize my games, so much the better.

Good for you, you like cash shops i don't.  I honestly don't care what you like or don't but calling people whales, that's not very nice.

"whales" is a standard industry term. What is not nice about it?

For starters, it's completely misused here, primarily because of the misconception on these forums that people are either playing for free or paying out their ass. While that's a little less ludicrous than the common talking point of "F2P costs more than sub," it's still far from the truth. 

In reality, there are three basic tiers of users of a free to play service - free, paying, whale. Paying is about 10% of the total and Whale is about 10% (if that much) of Paying.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by greenreen 

These are the credits for the games he has been involved in listed on Wikipedia. I see few F2P listed there. What makes him an authority on the subject? His experience is mostly with just one company too. Just because someone publishes a book it never meant they knew best, remember that phrase, those who can't - teach. 

He devloped and ran Metaplace.com. He also doesn't exist in a vacuum and spends a lot of time consulting. Is it your contention that since you've played a lot of video games your personal view of game design and how the industry works is more valid than the experience of those who have been successfully working in the industry for 30 or so years? If so, don't worry, there's a lot of people here like that, so you're in good company. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

These are the credits for the games he has been involved in listed on Wikipedia. I see few F2P listed there. What makes him an authority on the subject? His experience is mostly with just one company too. Just because someone publishes a book it never meant they knew best, remember that phrase, those who can't - teach. 

He devloped and ran Metaplace.com. He also doesn't exist in a vacuum and spends a lot of time consulting. Is it your contention that since you've played a lot of video games your personal view of game design and how the industry works is more valid than the experience of those who have been successfully working in the industry for 30 or so years? If so, don't worry, there's a lot of people here like that, so you're in good company. 

You don't need an expert to coin a term. Everyone knows a very small number of players pay through the roof. It is not uncommon to name a customer segment. So he borrows the term from the gambling industry and it sticks.

Why is his expertise relevant?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

but 5$ a month sub model is the thing of the future.

I think current model is just fine for game quality like wow, swtor, .... and gw2, which do not have one but is so good I would gladly pay so programmers get more money and more founds for future development and maintenance.

One of big problems with sub is that you need credit card or at least game cards available. In my country one can get game time cards only for really big titles as for credit cards kids have hard times to convince their parents to use their credit card. Come to my mind so far a least 5 to 8 cases of my friends having kids. Not because of ammount but because they fear unknown. Many use for years credit cards to pay in shops but not so many are used to internet shopping. I'm using credit card for more then 30 years and never had any single issue. But have been always carefull as much as possible.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Developers still get a constant sub, but not as intimidating as 15 dollar sub model is.

$15 a month is intimidating ?  It's kind of frightning to actually sit back and think about the type of people who actually complain about the cost of playing an mmo.

I can see not wanting to pay for a game you only play once or twice a month but if it's THE game you're playing $15 is cheaper than anything else you can do for fun....for a whole month.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

You don't need an expert to coin a term. Everyone knows a very small number of players pay through the roof. It is not uncommon to name a customer segment. So he borrows the term from the gambling industry and it sticks.

Why is his expertise relevant?

Funny you are the only one that uses it here, and call  people that dont even buy from a cash shop a WHALE. Its kind of derogatory and yoiu should not use it. Since you dont know who spends money over the rest, calling someone who pays for a sub a whale is not only ignorant but childish all together.

And for the record that term is stupid beyond belief being used in the gaming industry. Just saying.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Developers still get a constant sub, but not as intimidating as 15 dollar sub model is.

$15 a month is intimidating ?  It's kind of frightning to actually sit back and think about the type of people who actually complain about the cost of playing an mmo.

I can see not wanting to pay for a game you only play once or twice a month but if it's THE game you're playing $15 is cheaper than anything else you can do for fun....for a whole month.

Its the only thing in real life that hasnt gone up 100-300% in the past decade lol. If the price to play a mmo actualy went up to account for inflation of other things you would be paying 90$ per month ;)

15$/month in todays economy isnt anything lol. For 24/7 entertainment and equal ground in game as everyone else, not having to pay for content, inventory, character slots, etc........ is it realy even an issue?

The only issue is the fact crap games are infesting the market and no one wants to pay a monthly fee for a game barely good enough to be a single player game.

• LilanLilan Member UncommonPosts: 62
    the only mmo's worth paying a sub is the ones like eve that give you every expansion for free.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Onomas

Its the only thing in real life that hasnt gone up 100-300% in the past decade lol. If the price to play a mmo actualy went up to account for inflation of other things you would be paying 90$ per month ;)

15$/month in todays economy isnt anything lol. For 24/7 entertainment and equal ground in game as everyone else, not having to pay for content, inventory, character slots, etc........ is it realy even an issue?

The only issue is the fact crap games are infesting the market and no one wants to pay a monthly fee for a game barely good enough to be a single player game.

You do realize Onomas that 15 dollars a month adds up to $180 don't you?  And what if you have to pay for the box as well, say $60?  That comes to $240 a year.  Now if you were going to make a purchase that cost that much, would you not at least think carefully before making that decision?

And it has been completely my experience that even if I have to buy inventory/character slots it is way cheaper than than a $15 a month sub.  But you wouldn't know that would you?  Because you just like to spout the same idiotic rhetoric as the rest of the pay to win crowd. 

Go ahead and blame the games if you want.  The fact is, no matter how good a game is, you will eventually get tired of playing it constantly.   You will play less, but you will pay the same.  And just like interest from the bank, the cost of that game will add up and you will be forced to make a decision to pay or not to pay.  Most will choose not to pay even though they might wish to continue playing, but don't feel they are getting the value for the money.

That is the real reason why a $15 monthly sub is intimidating.

Pay as you play is the way to go, not a flat fee.  At least you get what you pay for.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Boneserino

You do realize Onomas that 15 dollars a month adds up to $180 don't you?  And what if you have to pay for the box as well, say $60?  That comes to $240 a year.  Now if you were going to make a purchase that cost that much, would you not at least think carefully before making that decision?

And it has been completely my experience that even if I have to buy inventory/character slots it is way cheaper than than a $15 a month sub.  But you wouldn't know that would you?  Because you just like to spout the same idiotic rhetoric as the rest of the pay to win crowd. 

Go ahead and blame the games if you want.  The fact is, no matter how good a game is, you will eventually get tired of playing it constantly.   You will play less, but you will pay the same.  And just like interest from the bank, the cost of that game will add up and you will be forced to make a decision to pay or not to pay.  Most will choose not to pay even though they might wish to continue playing, but don't feel they are getting the value for the money.

That is the real reason why a $15 monthly sub is intimidating.

Pay as you play is the way to go, not a flat fee.  At least you get what you pay for.

Sorry but i totally disagree, $240 dollars might be a lot if you had to pay it up front in a yearly payment, but, you might not even be subbed for a year anyway, although at $15 a month it might be easy to forget to unsub for a month if your not playing, and that takes me to your other point, that most will choose not to pay even though they might wish to continue playing, the most obvious scenario imo, is that its more likely the other way around, how many people continue subbing for an extra month, just in case they might feel like playing, but the fact is, even if you only played for maybe 10 hours in that month,  it would still be worth it, if in those 10 hours, you were enjoying yourself. Personally im going to keep on subbing to the games i enjoy playing, because it can't last forever, sooner or later sub prices are going to have to increase, i don't know how they havent already. Games arent run on thin air, as some people seem to think, people have to be paid, resources such as power, bandwidth, etc etc. all have to be paid for, personally i'd rather pay through a sub fee that gives me 100 percent access to game content, than pay through the nose for 'extras' in the cash shops of various F2P games. image

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Exactly. It's the games that are being offered that need fixing, not the revenue model.

...and don't even get me started again on the transient ADHD freeloaders who demand that everything is 'free' because they want to play 4 MMORPGs or whatever at once, and then strut around squawking about how they pay nothing while others carry the bill and support the genre... Parasites that add nothing past showing up and are happy to drag our games down while they do it.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Ok again..paying monthly sub for me is no problem. I make more than decent living and i am single, plenty of extra cash to spare.

It isn't about quantity but value of my money. I used to have 4 accounts of SWG, i still spend 200 bucks on console gaming every month.

Problem is that no MMO in recent years have been worth my 15 bucks. And i doubt they ever will be the way things are going. So i am happy with new B2P and freemium models.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Go ahead and blame the games if you want.  The fact is, no matter how good a game is, you will eventually get tired of playing it constantly.   You will play less, but you will pay the same. 

I always wonder how little you guys must spend in a game a week, and how little fun you must find them, to not think around £2.50 a week is value for money.

Here is a tip though... when you get bored of a sub game, cancel the sub until you wanna play it again... I find that saves me money.

"Games arent run on thin air, as some people seem to think, people have to be paid, resources such as power, bandwidth, etc etc. all have to be paid for, personally i'd rather pay through a sub fee that gives me 100 percent access to game content, than pay through the nose for 'extras' in the cash shops of various F2P games. image"

I respect your right to choose sub based games.  I think you are going to find it increasingly hard though.

However, when you make statements like the one above which is completely biased and untrue, when you refer to "paying thru the nose" it just shows your ignorance.  Paying thru the nose is a choice.  A sub is not. 

Also F2P games make money, otherwise they would not be operating.  Another false statement on your part.  But hey, you are just another of the Pay 2 Win crowd spouting the same tired story.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Ok again..paying monthly sub for me is no problem. I make more than decent living and i am single, plenty of extra cash to spare.

It isn't about quantity but value of my money. I used to have 4 accounts of SWG, i still spend 200 bucks on console gaming every month.

Problem is that no MMO in recent years have been worth my 15 bucks. And i doubt they ever will be the way things are going. So i am happy with new B2P and freemium models.

They aren't worth your money, but they are worth your time?  o.0

I'm sorry, but if you are telling me that you don't get £2.50/ week worth of enjoyment out of something I have to wonder if you are even having any fun doing it at all...

And if you aren not having fun, I have to wonder why you are not doing something else you find more fun...

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Didn't vote. Not a choice I liked.

What's wrong with old school?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

"Games arent run on thin air, as some people seem to think, people have to be paid, resources such as power, bandwidth, etc etc. all have to be paid for, personally i'd rather pay through a sub fee that gives me 100 percent access to game content, than pay through the nose for 'extras' in the cash shops of various F2P games. image"

I respect your right to choose sub based games.  I think you are going to find it increasingly hard though.

However, when you make statements like the one above which is completely biased and untrue, when you refer to "paying thru the nose" it just shows your ignorance.  Paying thru the nose is a choice.  A sub is not. 

Also F2P games make money, otherwise they would not be operating.  Another false statement on your part.  But hey, you are just another of the Pay 2 Win crowd spouting the same tired story.

since i never mentioned pay 2 win at all, but the difference being that i prefer to pay a sub for 100 percent game access, than having to pay for 'additional' or 'extras' in a cash shop, and often repeat purchases in order to have that kind of game access, then yes, as far as i am concerned that is 'paying through the nose' and this is in games that arent even pvp centric as you would seem to indicate otherwise, this isnt about games being pay to win, but, pay to play, pay for access, pay to continue, pay to equip, pay to store, pay to travel to, you name it and F2P games probably have it.. pay to win, is a whole other issue. image

Originally posted by Phry

since i never mentioned pay 2 win at all, but the difference being that i prefer to pay a sub for 100 percent game access, than having to pay for 'additional' or 'extras' in a cash shop, and often repeat purchases in order to have that kind of game access, then yes, as far as i am concerned that is 'paying through the nose' and this is in games that arent even pvp centric as you would seem to indicate otherwise, this isnt about games being pay to win, but, pay to play, pay for access, pay to continue, pay to equip, pay to store, pay to travel to, you name it and F2P games probably have it.. pay to win, is a whole other issue. image

All of what you stated is considered Pay 2 Win by your crowd Phry. If it wasn't then why would you pay it? Correct?  And you are simply stating extremes.  The majority of those things are convenience items and not essential to play.  The reality is nothing like what you claim.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

LOL ppl still believe F2P (p2win) is a good thing?

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    This may be a great opportunity to look into the daily or weekly things we buy and add then up for a 30 day or even 365 days. The results may be surprising. Having a set up front cost seems a lot bigger than if it's paid in small amounts.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Wow, english composition escaped me, 30 or 365 day period.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Didn't vote. Not a choice I liked.

What's wrong with old school?

Its not worth it. You get the same quality games with F2P. And there hasn't been a justification for a 15$ monthly fee for a long while now. Practically every game covers its costs with box sales alone. Good ones cover the next few expansions too. Subscription fee is mostly profit. Only a small amount goes to running costs.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Quirhid

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Didn't vote. Not a choice I liked.What's wrong with old school?
    Its not worth it. You get the same quality games with F2P. And there hasn't been a justification for a 15$ monthly fee for a long while now. Practically every game covers its costs with box sales alone. Good ones cover the next few expansions too. Subscription fee is mostly profit. Only a small amount goes to running costs
    No argument from me on that point :)

Old School games were worth the sub fee. I just don't see what is wrong with that :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

LOL ppl still believe F2P (p2win) is a good thing?

Hehe yeah its hilarious!!

Ya know whats even funnier??

People that actually think you can win an MMO!!  Tee hee hee ROFL!