Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mmoDAD's Best of 2012

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I'm just following the news trend...

My best of 2012?

NOTHING

Theme Parks, Theme Parks, and more Theme Parks. Battlegrounds, Arenas, Warzones, or whatever else you want to call them - all the same stuff. Rangers, Archers, Fletchers, Snipers, Riflemen... all the same stuff. Games are literally so boring and redundant now that people are refusing to pay subscription costs. It's obvious that most of a game's budget is spent on advertising.

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Thanks for sharing
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I'd say rediscovering some much improved games from a few years ago after the disappointment of the latest crop. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• GreyfaceGreyface Member Posts: 390
    Nice.  Made me laugh.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Finally a thread I can support!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         OP.. I think most of us are feeling that way with today's junk and I fear it wont' change anytime soon..   I'm actually waiting on nad hoping for a game I designed on my computer..  A game that focuses on character development, not gear progression.. Imagine a game that has "DOZENS" of factions and dozens more of sub factions..  Imagine having the freedom to pick and choose who you want to support or not..  Imagine a game that is dependant upon the actions of the player base, NOT some linear themepark ride.. In my design there is no "best in slot" crafting, and 90% of the recipes would be reliant on who you were factioned with..   My world is not a linear path but a spider web of choices :)
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    A person on the internet with an opinion, I'm shocked.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Rydeson
    OP.. I think most of us are feeling that way with today's junk and I fear it wont' change anytime soon..
    Unfortunately, your "most of us" equates to a "few of us." Why do I say this? Because just about every new MMO released sells millions of copies (many times pre-release), thus keeping the trend alive. If "most of us" truly felt that MMOs suck at this time, these MMOs would be failing left and right, not selling millions of copies.

Therefor, MMO creators will keep following the same trend. Until they stop selling millions of copies at, or before, release. Money talks. Message board posts do not :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

OP.. I think most of us are feeling that way with today's junk and I fear it wont' change anytime soon..

Unfortunately, your "most of us" equates to a "few of us." Why do I say this? Because just about every new MMO released sells millions of copies (many times pre-release), thus keeping the trend alive. If "most of us" truly felt that MMOs suck at this time, these MMOs would be failing left and right, not selling millions of copies.

Therefor, MMO creators will keep following the same trend. Until they stop selling millions of copies at, or before, release. Money talks. Message board posts do not :)

I disagree.

Most of the flops that have released came from WoW's Golden Era. WoW was doing well. Most of the games we all hate started development during the peak of WoW.

Investors want profit and lots of it. They want longevity. Other than initial box sales, they bring home very little....while still having to maintain employees, server fees, etc.

People aren't buying these Theme Parks because they are Theme Parks. They buy them because there isn't anything else to do in the genre.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Sorry about the lateness of the reply. I just got Dawnguard and Hearthfire for Skyrim and have been busy :) This plus nothing on the MMO horizon trips my trigger...

Originally posted by mmoDAD

Unfortunately, your "most of us" equates to a "few of us." Why do I say this? Because just about every new MMO released sells millions of copies (many times pre-release), thus keeping the trend alive. If "most of us" truly felt that MMOs suck at this time, these MMOs would be failing left and right, not selling millions of copies.Therefor, MMO creators will keep following the same trend. Until they stop selling millions of copies at, or before, release. Money talks. Message board posts do not :)
    I disagree.Most of the flops that have released came from WoW's Golden Era. WoW was doing well. Most of the games we all hate started development during the peak of WoW.Investors want profit and lots of it. They want longevity. Other than initial box sales, they bring home very little....while still having to maintain employees, server fees, etc.People aren't buying these Theme Parks because they are Theme Parks. They buy them because there isn't anything else to do in the genre.
    All I am saying is that there are enough players supporting the current game cycle that there is no reason for game makers to change their tune. Until players stop supporting every new thing to the tune of millions spent at launch, this won't change. This tells me that "we" are in the minority, not the majority :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I disagree.

Most of the flops that have released came from WoW's Golden Era. WoW was doing well. Most of the games we all hate started development during the peak of WoW.

Investors want profit and lots of it. They want longevity. Other than initial box sales, they bring home very little....while still having to maintain employees, server fees, etc.

People aren't buying these Theme Parks because they are Theme Parks. They buy them because there isn't anything else to do in the genre.

Really? What is forcing these people to buy these games you hate so much? If people truly hated these games then why are they buying them? It is called voting with your wallet. No one forces ANYONE to buy a game. If people really did not like these oh so evil "themepark" games do you really think they would spend good money on them? I go to a diner to eat and I get hit in the head with a brick each time I am going to stop eating there. I certainly am not going to continue eating at that diner only because all the other diners hit me in the head with a brick as well...

FFS...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    mmorpg's are mostly OK but something is wrong with players,they should finaly learn ;virtual worlds cant replace real life
  • EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

You can't really say that NO mmo was the best this last year, of course there was the best, but it was a contest of which turd smells the least like shit.

They all smelt like shit, but one of them smelt a little better.

The reason people keep buying these games is so simple, a little story will now follow..

I am an MMO gamer, started in roughly 2000, it was my genre, I loved it. For the next 4 years I was completely happy, no issues with current games I had lots to try, lots to wait for, everything was going very well for me. Then I started to pine for a good sandbox and waited, I delt with several failures, big ones, slowly but surely 2009 slowly slteathed its merry way up on me, and I became jaded, Mortal Online had just fallen flat on its face and I began.. the long wait.. Which most others on here are currently sitting through.

Unfortunately to the kid whos never played WoW, his first time logging in no doubt blows his mind. Then he hears about free to play games, and all over again his tiny brain is blown. For the next four years, he'll support all these new games coming out, he'll sample many, he'll eventually enter the long wait like the rest of us, but the pattern will always repeat its self, MMOs will always acrew new subscribers growing into the genre, because it is EPIC, it's mind blowing the first time you see hundreds of other players all at once in a virtual world.

There is a light on the horizon, the long wait crew, us, or those of us who head up development studios are finally getting to make their MMOs to combat the current crop of what they consider garbage MMOs, within the next few years we'll begin to see significant divergence in the MMO market, finally.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    [...]

Theme Parks, Theme Parks, and more Theme Parks. Battlegrounds, Arenas, Warzones, or whatever else you want to call them - all the same stuff. Rangers, Archers, Fletchers, Snipers, Riflemen... all the same stuff. Games are literally so boring and redundant now that people are refusing to pay subscription costs. It's obvious that most of a game's budget is spent on advertising.

I've been reluctant to pay subscription for any game, because none of them have been worth it, really. And most of game's budget is not spent on advertising. Whatever your tantrum is about, it is a poor excuse to make up facts. But then again, it has not stopped you in the past.

I can't help but think that many of the more adamant bittervets have caused their displeasure themselves by being overly idealistic, unrealistic and still living in the past refusing to change. Then they've fed their bad mood with false facts, gross over-exaggeration, speculation and general "tinfoil hattery". Its a vicious spiral to be sure. I wonder if there is a cure?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

My best of 2012?

NOTHING

That is the same as me. Everything released and done (MMO-wise) in 2012 was pathetic

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

I'm still waiting for everyone to tell me how great warZ is.

I remember a few month ago everyone says how great dayZ is and if some developer just follow that formula. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

My best of 2012?

NOTHING

Thanks for NOTHING!

What a useless thread.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

I enjoyed every game that I played in 2012. They all had qualities that made them fun.

If you're looking for a game to replace your RL, you will always be disappointed. Games can't do that. If you're playing a game that you don't like, or feel the need to complain about a game that you no longer play, then it's time to move on.

Enjoy games for what they are, not for what they aren't. That way, you won't get so emotional when a game doesn't meet your unreachable expectations.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days