Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Congrats to STO / Perfect World

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

They won the award for best Free MMO for 2012 at MMORPG Center!

Star Trek Online STO MMORPG F2P Sc-Fi MMO game

Comments

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

Nice!  

• ompgamingompgaming Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Well deserved.

Above all else... never ever piss off the penguin.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I agree, it's well deserved.

Compared to other F2P MMOs, STO gives away almost all of the content for free, and gives players the ability to earn in-game currency to buy things from the cash shop.  No limits on class selection or level, access to all mission content, etc.

It's a much better game than it was at launch - a very solid, fun MMO.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Grats to them, for sure! Been spending a lot of time in there lately, running around trying to catch all of the pokedoffs. I find the doff grind to be quite fun. Not sure why I didn't get involved in it earlier...

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

It was a player's choice award.  And there was obviously either a massive campaign by the STO players, or possibly foul play.

I say foul play is possible in this case because of the number of votes for STO for best f2p is almost the same as the total votes for best overall MMORPG.  I find it hard to believe a human voter wouldnt weigh in on at least that category.

http://www.mmorpg-center.com/mmorpg-center-2012-players-choice-awards

the best browser MMO race is pretty funny too.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    All sites are scewed due to the limited amount of people voting. I mean, if you take into account every single MMORPG player on the planet only around 0.001% are taking part in the vote...we are talking about 20+ million people around the world and maybe a few thousand voting.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281

Got to say I had never heard of mmorpg-center before this thread. 

The STO votes seem a little unrealistic, is it really that much more popular and receiving that much more attention than other triple A F2P title?

As for the best browser category, what the hell are half of those games?

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

I enjoyed this game and felt I got great value for the money!  Which was nothing!

So Gratz to them, and continued success with game.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Cryptic is prone to encourage it's playerbase on the forums to turn out and vote on these things. I didn't see it since i haven't been on the forums in a while, but I wouldn't be surprised. It's free advertising and that's what PWI/Cryptic like best.

• SilverdaggerSilverdagger Member UncommonPosts: 119

No offense but saying that STO is better now than when it launched is kind of silly.  The game was ushered out in a half-complete state. It is natural to think that after a few years the game would reach a somewhat polished state.  It brings to mind the Mythbuster's episode on polished dung.  I'm not saying STO is a shining example of [...], just that it started out that way and had a very bumpy progression to it's current state.

Like others, I'm skeptical about any poll.  You can visit 50 MMO sites with 2012 polls and get a wide variety of responses.  I visited a few such sites and often STO didn't make the list , however Black Prophecy appeared quite often.

Does anyone have a personal opinion of how Black Prophecy stacks up against STO?  [Strip off the Trek veneer and compare space game to space game].

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

whats the state of the game right now? i tried it when PWE relaunched it as f2p and i kinda liked it, but i uninstalled it because the combat felt a bit clunky and not very responsive. I like everything else, but i dont play games if i dont like the combat.

I might have to check it again

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by rojo6934

whats the state of the game right now? i tried it when PWE relaunched it as f2p and i kinda liked it, but i uninstalled it because the combat felt a bit clunky and not very responsive. I like everything else, but i dont play games if i dont like the combat.

Not much has changed in the way of updates to how combat works.  They've added a new sector with a handful of new missions, rep grinds for gear and rep grinds for fleet starbases.  

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

What I like about the combat is that you can command your away team, and is like multi boxing but better, and your bridge officers are pretty smart on their own. They can usually survive longer than I can! In other MMOs it is usually the other way around. Also if you call for help they can come and revive you. In other MMOs, if you die, so does your companion

Also the line of sight in the game is good, you can hide behind stuff to prevent being hit, and let your shileds replenish. If you are a engineer you can bring up a shield or if not have a BO engineer you can use their shields for protection Other MMOs, particulalry SWG, had terrible line of sight, and you could be attacked through walls.

If you have already messed around with your bridge officers in combat or you do not like using them, then it can be still clunky. I did not bother utilizing the bridge officers much to begin with, but you really need to, to make the combat better, or just play in groups of people.

• RiftstarRiftstar Member UncommonPosts: 22
    I'm defintely enjoying the game now. 

Playing: MWO
    Waiting For: Star Citizen

Originally posted by Valoreah

Not much has changed in the way of updates to how combat works.  They've added a new sector with a handful of new missions, rep grinds for gear and rep grinds for fleet starbases.  

I'll take a reputation system that allows me to pick the gear I want (in addition to other benefits) over random loot drops every day of the week, twice on Sundays.

Originally posted by superniceguy

What I like about the combat is that you can command your away team, and is like multi boxing but better, and your bridge officers are pretty smart on their own. They can usually survive longer than I can! In other MMOs it is usually the other way around. Also if you call for help they can come and revive you. In other MMOs, if you die, so does your companion

Also the line of sight in the game is good, you can hide behind stuff to prevent being hit, and let your shileds replenish. If you are a engineer you can bring up a shield or if not have a BO engineer you can use their shields for protection Other MMOs, particulalry SWG, had terrible line of sight, and you could be attacked through walls.

If you have already messed around with your bridge officers in combat or you do not like using them, then it can be still clunky. I did not bother utilizing the bridge officers much to begin with, but you really need to, to make the combat better, or just play in groups of people.

I agree completely.  The ground combat is definitely different than what you find in other games, primarily because of the bridge officers.  I like the fact that I can tinker with my Away Teams by selecting different officers with different skills.  I also like to try to set up my teams to take advantage of the expose/exploit mechanics.  The AI for the bridge officers is better than what pets in other games have, in my opinion.  Love it when they rescue me when I'm down.

This game really does offer a lot, even for those that don't pay anything.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561

the game is great indeed but something really important...Have they fixed the server lag/hicups issues? And most of all is lag bearable for EU players..?(since they closed the EU server..)

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    STO is a very fun game, congrats!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by pupurun

the game is great indeed but something really important...Have they fixed the server lag/hicups issues? And most of all is lag bearable for EU players..?(since they closed the EU server..)

Since Q closed his wonderland I played less, but lately (and I mean in the last 1-2 months) it seems decent. Just a few rubberbanding ingame, and server hiccups only during map change/zoning. I remember maybe only 1-2 occasions of server lost when ingame, so I think i can fairly say it's fixed -more or less :).

Originally posted by Po_gg

Since Q closed his wonderland I played less, but lately (and I mean in the last 1-2 months) it seems decent. Just a few rubberbanding ingame, and server hiccups only during map change/zoning. I remember maybe only 1-2 occasions of server lost when ingame, so I think i can fairly say it's fixed -more or less :).

I've heard a couple guys in fleet chat talking about lag from time to time, but nothing consistent.  I haven't had much in the way of lag myself, so can't comment much on it.

• pupurunpupurun Member UncommonPosts: 561
    Originally posted by Rohn

I've heard a couple guys in fleet chat talking about lag from time to time, but nothing consistent.  I haven't had much in the way of lag myself, so can't comment much on it.

Well i was mainly concerned about the EU playes..like me...Lag does exist naturally...but there were many server d/c and large up downs when i played STO 3 months ago...

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Well i was mainly concerned about the EU playes..like me...Lag does exist naturally...but there were many server d/c and large up downs when i played STO 3 months ago...

That's why I answered (sorry, I left out, Eu player here :) ) and that's why I said last 1-2 months.

I too had frequent "lost server connection" issues, but somewhere around S7 it got fixed, after that only the usual (rare) lags in crowded locations, like at the snowmen Overlord when ~30 captains shooted him with snowballs :)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I am from UK, and it has been OK recently for me, a while a go it took ages to load some of the anomoly missions and was a pain, but it is a lot faster now. Some of it was also down to Virgin Media, and there seemed to be a bit of lag following the hurricane, but all that seems to have settled down now.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

I'll take a reputation system that allows me to pick the gear I want (in addition to other benefits) over random loot drops every day of the week, twice on Sundays.

I'm not to fond of random drops either. You could get decent gear (eg., Borg Set) from running STFs before the rep grind, so these rep grinds didn't lend much to the game IMO.

• Laxmi_GaneshLaxmi_Ganesh Member Posts: 4
    The game has come a long way since launch; its not perfect but its a very fun game.