Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

random thought or something more....

Some of you out there played FFXI , some of you did not. Remember in XI the expansion pack that brought us to the past? Don't you think down the road a expansion like that would fit in ARR more so then it did XI. After all the program is there to do it. Just a random idea. Another random idea. Somehow making a expansion pack that brings us back to Vana'Diel but the area is remade . I would LOVE to see that . What do you guys think?

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

The expansion you're referring too is "Wings of the Goddess" and traveling to the past fit way better with the overall storyline of XI than it would with XIV.  From the very beginning of XI the lore was built entirely around the Crystal War and how it shaped each nation and whatnot.   Many NPCs and several parts of the storylines had much to say about past events.

With FFXIV, sure there was a huge war in the past where the Garlean Empire wiped out several cities in the Northern regions of Eorzea, but I wouldn't expect an entire expansion going back in time for it.  Besides, our characters can already see the past through the souls of other people using their special ability called "Echo".  If anything when and if we ever get those zones to explore in, we'll probably end up viewing said events using that power.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Some of us already played the past, we are now looking forward to playing the future, and that being ARR.
  • KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Nah, I hope there will be many major expansions and we get to see the other 2 continents in the world of Hydalyn.  Unlike FFXI where the limitations kept them from adding too many unique regions and having to constantly reuse old zones.  This time around and with the new engine, pretty sure Yoshi said it scales exceptionally well, so if it got to the point where the PS3 couldn't handle it anymore, they can port it to the PS4.

~Meanwhile~  PC gamers are not being hindered by consoles like we were with FFXI...

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I think going with another time travel theme for an expansion would be a bit too repetitive; surely something entirely original to XIV would be better?

I do hope they manage to tie all the storylines together between the expansions though; I LOVED how the Shadow Lord, Zilart and Promathia stories were effectively all parts of one big story. The expansions didn't add arbitrary new continents for a while either, instead adding new regions to the existing world. They felt like much more organic continuations of the game rather than arbitrary content additions as in other MMOs where they conveniently discover a new continent each time.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    I just cant wait for FF14 beta to start. Im a legacy member!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any idea when the first beta test will be? :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i never played ff 11 so i dont know much about it. The "travel to the past" thing would be a great feature in Final Fantasy 14 storywise if you could actually travel to the past and land in the world of FF11 (or even one of the older FF games) for the sake of a deeper story and see good old places and characters. Sadly, final fantasy is not about direct sequels (except ff13 and ff13-2) where two FF games connect with each other storywise for this to work and make sense...

one can only dream about some things.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i never played ff 11 so i dont know much about it. The "travel to the past" thing would be a great feature in Final Fantasy 14 storywise if you could actually travel to the past and land in the world of FF11 (or even one of the older FF games) for the sake of a deeper story and see good old places and characters. Sadly, final fantasy is not about direct sequels (except ff13 and ff13-2) where two FF games connect with each other storywise for this to work and make sense...

one can only dream about some things.

Having said that the Crystal Tower from FFIII is in XIV now, and Yoshi has already as good as confirmed that the Cloud of Darkness will be in there...  With the golden saucer from VII set for soon after launch as well I'm beginning to see XIV as a bit of a nostalgia trip even without time travel. :)