Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game prompted you to create an account on mmorpg.com?

Comments

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    I'd left WoW a few months before signing up to MMORPG.com and was on the start of my "how many MMO's can I play at once crusade" so I needed information about every MMO ever made, MMORPG.com fitted the bill perfectly and now I've played probably 50 different MMO's since joining. I've calmed down now but stay around for the "lively" debate, articles and a general like of the place, its fun.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    SWG's NGE pushed me here...remember, remember the 15th of November (2005).

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

Never even thought to look for this site until 2006, when I grew tired of WOW and was looking for information on other MMORPG's that weren't like WOW.  While I did find EVE here, for the most part the search continues to this day, over 6 years later.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    I don't play computer games, I am here for the craic.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
        IIRC I created my account to learn about new games, not really to brag about one.....
  • PsiKahnPsiKahn Member Posts: 126
    Started checking this site out after leaving DAoC some years ago, looking for the next great thing.  It never really arrived.  Now I'm following some games in development (especially Trials of Ascension) and just trying to educate myself about the current MMO environment.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Great topic question.

I think I was playing WoW at the time and was looking to see what else was out there to play.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Star Wars Galaxies ..... not long after the "Combat Upgrade" if I remember correctly.

/sigh

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Well for me I created this account back in 05 as you all can see and that was beacuse I got a link from Dark and Light forum to this site showing off some new screenshots of the game.

So I desided to create an account and join in, man what a ride, I'm quite stunned I haven't been perm ban yet ( going thrue old respons i have made).

So a quote from Zion from The Matrix

WE ARE STILL HERE!

I was playing DAoC one day early 2005, and someone mentioned that there was a Star Wars MMORPG, so I went online to see what he was talking about and found out about SWG. I preordered SWG: The Total Experience and started playing it Spring of 2005. SWG became my second MMORPG I ever played. Before that, I was playing DAoC since 2002.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Star Wars Galaxies brought me here.  I was very into the game and just looking for any information that would help me be a better player.  I used to keep a how to journal of crafting recipes, resources, etc.  I was always looking for new information, something to supplment the official site.

I still remember when people posted about the NGE.  I was in shock about the upcoming changes.  I remember logging into the game and going to my city's cantina and mentioning it to my guild mates.  No one knew what the hell I was talking about.  They were sure I had misinterpreted something.

It goes to show you a couple things.  One, a lot of people don't bother with forums.  Two, because they were uninformed, they were passive participants.  Three, forums do matter.  Even though we didn't get a roll back, the mmorpg.com community (Veteran's Refuge) and just knowing you weren't alone when SOE pulled the rug out from under us really helped.

Forums do matter people.  A lot of developers have said they read the forums, they just don't post.  Be heard, or be silent.  The choice is yours.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    i have no idea... it was way way to long ago.

This have been a good conversation

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Same, absolutely no idea... based on the date the highest chance is for some AoC giveaway entry, since around that time I was still waist deep in Hyboria :) (runner-ups are LotRO and STO)
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I think it was swg. When I joined with my first account this site was just a list of mmos...and there was only about 20 or so on the list :P  I didn't log in for about a year and forgot my pw so I made this one.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I signed up to enter a contest.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

signed up do to contests and risk your life path of the emperor having a page here at the time. during its darker forum insanity days.

now i just stay for the odd hardware contest and keep tabs on old games i played

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    I joined right before the original Darkfall launch to keep tabs on the game and try to get into a clan pre-launch.  Now I can't seem to leave...
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Was playing EQ at the time, but joined here to get more info on Vanguard SoH
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

I wanted to find a new game after playing DAoC for a couple of years. I just typed in "www.mmorpg.com" to see what would happen....and I've been trolling here ever since.

Joined - July 2004

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

It wasn't the game itself, it was a person associated with a game - I followed a link to an article written by a former community manager whose name I recognized and just wanted to post something encouraging.

• lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40

I created this account for the Aion Pet Giveaway.

(off topic) My first impression of this website was : ugly, but then i decided to stay because the forum here was/is very active.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Been so long I don't remember...

• DahakaDahaka Member Posts: 11
    Was playing Anarchy Online (still do.) and wanted to check Starwars Galaxie :)

Beta tested : Anarchy online , Lineage 2 , The saga of Ryzom , SWG ....
    playing : Anarchy online , WOW

• django-djangodjango-django Member Posts: 115
    This is pretty much the site I've always come to for my MMO news, as well as gathering information from other users on any MMO that I've been interested in. I created my account to give my thoughts on games that I've played that may be of use to another MMORPG user.
  • MischiefMischief Member UncommonPosts: 79
    Pretty sure I was bored in SWG looking for something new...
  • IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I think I joined this site during my stint in World of Warcraft.  I was looking for something new and interesting to play due to growing boredom and I couldn't go back to DAoC because the populations was dwindling.  Ended up taking a hiatus periodically only to come back and post extensively for a few years.

Now I lurk and post only once a month it seems.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-