Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer built arround an i7, trying to stay below 1000$.

2»

Comments

• mothefomothefo Member Posts: 30

ok so i was all ready to order and was just browsing Tigerdirect when i stumbled on this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7541905&CatId=333

to me that looks almost indentical to my build. they just dont have SSD and win7, but they added a gtx 660 video card, liquid cooling, 8 GB more of memory and a case......wtf?  it looks way better than what i'm getting with my build for almost the same price....

is that just a shitty motherboard and power suplly? can someone please shine a light here for me? thanks

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

The power supply is total shit for starters, the motherboard while not being " bad" in a sense is probably ones they have not been able to sell for whatever reason.

I personally have always found it better to pick individual parts, or combo type deals with 2-3 items together if they are a good value and good components packaged together.

Most of the time with deals like this at least 2 of the components leave something to be desired. In this one the Power supply is probably better off as a doorstop. Motherboard I am not sure about, asus is a good brand overall from my experience.

You may pay a little more picking each part individually, but will always come out ahead in the quality department. There is usually a reason this stuff is discounted and packaged together. They get rid of a few non selling cheap components, sell a few high end parts and give the illusion of value to the buyer.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by mothefo

ok so i was all ready to order and was just browsing Tigerdirect when i stumbled on this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7541905&CatId=333

to me that looks almost indentical to my build. they just dont have SSD and win7, but they added a gtx 660 video card, liquid cooling, 8 GB more of memory and a case......wtf?  it looks way better than what i'm getting with my build for almost the same price....

is that just a shitty motherboard and power suplly? can someone please shine a light here for me? thanks

The power supply probably isn't bad enough to be an imminent danger to your system.  But it's very much a low-end product, and not what you want.  Not having an SSD is a big deal, too.

And you should realize that their headline price is after six separate rebates, so that's a lot of added hassle.

• bdavis24bdavis24 Member Posts: 5

if you dont mind used parts .. 

www.hardforum.com has a great for sale section. i have been using that site since 2000 to build my computers.