Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

Comments

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

GW2 for me. Not because it's a bad game - it's better game than some of the other candidates. But because of how much was expected and how little delivered in proportion, which is itself the definition of 'disappointment'.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I found dawnguard disappointing too.

Give me a proper skyrim expansion not dlc.
  • oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855

waw, i see nothing but negative posts about GW2.....i dont get it, the game is not a 7th wonder of the world but it is a damn good game imho (for a theme mmo anyways).

While a lot of you are saying this was a crap mmorpg year i would love to say that imho its been a pretty good year.

Played:

D3: after the first week of connection problems the game was fixed and worth the story (so for me the game was worth it's money, kinda).

Tera: pretty good game imo with some sweet GFX but just a bit TOO grindy for my taste...so it was ok for me.

TSW: played beta and rly enjoyed the instense atmosphere it had but the animations where soo badly done i could not bare to look at it anymore (it felt like the animations where made 15 years ago).

TL2: still loving it as my offline game.....its just a good diablo clone :)

GW2: best theme mmorpg is YEARS.....crafting is good (if you dont mind a bit mining and stuff), the events are pretty good altough if you stay in the same area too long the repeating of those same 3 events get's old i do admit. The exploring, Vista's and jump puzzles are just freaking awesome omho. the only 2 thing i dont like in GW2 is that the WvWvW is a zergfest and the dungeons are just a runfest if the group is isnt in elite gear.

but overall it's been a good year for mmo's for me at least......2013 won't be any better i think.

my 2 copperz

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by oubers

waw, i see nothing but negative posts about GW2.....i dont get it, the game is not a 7th wonder of the world but it is a damn good game imho (for a theme mmo anyways).

While a lot of you are saying this was a crap mmorpg year i would love to say that imho its been a pretty good year.

Played:

D3: after the first week of connection problems the game was fixed and worth the story (so for me the game was worth it's money, kinda).

Tera: pretty good game imo with some sweet GFX but just a bit TOO grindy for my taste...so it was ok for me.

TSW: played beta and rly enjoyed the instense atmosphere it had but the animations where soo badly done i could not bare to look at it anymore (it felt like the animations where made 15 years ago).

GW2: best theme mmorpg is YEARS.....crafting is good (if you dont mind a bit mining and stuff), the events are pretty good altough if you stay in the same area too long the repeating of those same 3 events get's old i do admit. The exploring, Vista's and jump puzzles are just freaking awesome omho. the only 2 thing i dont like in GW2 is that the WvWvW is a zergfest and the dungeons are just a runfest if the group is isnt in elite gear.

but overall it's been a good year for mmo's for me at least......2013 won't be any better i think.

my 2 copperz

I agree to some extent it has been a good year, but unfortunately not due to new releases imo.  Improvements in old games were fantastic, AOC feels like the game it should have been at release, WoT received a great expansion as did Rift.  In fact the only new release I really rated was P101, although TSW did interest me for a little while.

I look forward to revisiting GW2 when some of (for me) the game breaking issues have been dealt with, namely; the lack of alternative to trinity, dull combat, poor pvp, over-simplicity and lack of interaction created by hearts, repetitive events, tetris map design, 'vista' and 'jump puzzle' fluff instead of real content, broken crafting, amateur story and general lack of immersion created by all of the above.    

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Scarfe

Played:

my 2 copperz

I agree to some extent it has been a good year, but unfortunately not due to new releases imo.  Improvements in old games were fantastic, AOC feels like the game it should have been at release, WoT received a great expansion as did Rift.  In fact the only new release I really rated was P101, although TSW did interest me for a little while.

I look forward to revisiting GW2 when some of (for me) the game breaking issues have been dealt with, namely; the lack of alternative to trinity, dull combat, poor pvp, over-simplicity and lack of interaction created by hearts, repetitive events, tetris map design, 'vista' and 'jump puzzle' fluff instead of real content, broken crafting, amateur story and general lack of immersion created by all of the above.    

Well in that case you wont be revsisting GW2 (and i agree with your assesment of it) but these things are the core of this game and can not be fixed....

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

TSW was the biggest dissappoinment for me.

I like GW2 but I went in expecting to hate it, so there was no hype for me to crash from.

TSW was my choice also...i followed its development for almsot 2 years and thought it was going to be a great game.....After a week of beta I was so disappointed that I deleted it and didnt even want to play it for free.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Going with Planetside 2. While it's fun for a few hours, and may awe you, it really lacks depth and anything that made PS1 unique.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Even though I did get some enjoyment out of D3, that would be my biggest dissapointment. I expected much more from it, but the AH just made things fall apart and no PvP.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Alber_gamer

GW2 for me. Not because it's a bad game - it's better game than some of the other candidates. But because of how much was expected and how little delivered in proportion, which is itself the definition of 'disappointment'.

Funny how nowadays most disappointment in MMO comes from people expectations.

As for myself I expected nothing from GW2 and well I find it a very well done MMO.

Then, to my knowledge, there was no overhyping from the developers but mostly game play and development discussions.

In fact rest assured most studio would kill to be able to deliver such polished games with so many game play.

Now on the opposite of the spectrum may I mention TOR who was intentionaly overhyped by BioWare, was delivered in an unfinished state, did not improve that much since launch and is now a cashshop (&scam) intended to milk players without even trying to pretend adding real content.

• OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22

It was SWTOR for me and the guildies. The lack of guild tools like guild mail for instance, certainly made it harder

to keep us together ingame.  After a couple level 50s it just got boring and lifeless.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

SWTOR may have been released last year, and it released great in 2011, but it was 2012 where EA/BW failed to update it and progress it like a MMO, so the disappointment for SWTOR was in 2012.

2nd disappointment in 2012 would be the unethical shutdown of City of Heroes

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

If the game wasn't hyped to the moon and fans have not infuriated every single MMO fan out there with their constant trolling for last 2 years. I can assure you results would be different. And GW2's manifesto video and all the big talks by Mike O brian that they want to beat WOW and be number one didn't help them either.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    For me it was GW2.... was just boring as hell..
  • allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

GW2 for me, loved it for like 3 days, then after I realized that some of the things that I was looking forward to were actually the things that turned me off, namely : no trinity and eternal gear balance for the structured pvp.  Not faulting the game or the devs; they actually went outside of the box imo, but to me it just was not entertaining and despite being b2p, I find myself no longer logging on.  

And for those few of you who are criticizing us for saying gw2 or for any other game, please just stop.  The thread is asking for our opinions and we are giving them.  Give your own opinion, don't argue the opinion of others because you can't change their opinion any more than you can change what their favorite color is. 

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Didn't realize this was for the year.  Whoops.
  • QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Can't say I was disappointed because I was well informed about the games I played this year. No expectations, no disappointment.

GW2 was by far the best release of the year although I would've hoped they'd stuck with their own niche instead of going for the mainstream. The higher level cap, the "full MMO" thing, WvWvW, making it super easy to start playing... those were all caveins to vocal fans, imo. They shouldn't have listened to them. They should've stuck with the MTG-influenced skill system, CORPG and copetitive PvP. Things they did well with their first title. I wonder whose idea it was to turn away from those?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

Bravo sir!! And agree completely!! 

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

MMO wise will be WoW - MOP. All my friends decided to pick up other games like 2 weeks after MOP released so...

General game wise, Assassin Creed 3. Story made no sense... at all!

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Honestly, I am surprised TOR has so many votes.  So many people on this forum 'KNEW" tor would tank well before it did, yet they feel it's the "biggest"? Weird.  How can it be disappointing if you didn't like it before it came out? :P
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Voted for GW2. SWTOR was and probably is (haven't played for months) much better game imo.
  • spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

Planetside 2

Starwars: The old Republic

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

GW2 was the biggest disappointment by far for me.

ANet promised the world - even going so far as to write a "manifesto" - yet failed to produce a game that was truly different.  In fact, GW2 is essentially an amalgamation of ultra-easy MMO systems, the kind that have been killing the MMO genre for years. Meaningless world, useless virtual society, etc.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

Bravo sir!! And agree completely!! 

Maybe some just notice the missing quality in games with recent releases and the change in the game industry, does not mean everyone notice it.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    GW2   for me. But i'm surprised that he is on top of the list :O
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    GW 2 for sure. I didn't really have expectations for any of the others in the list, but GW 2 majorly failed to meet the ones I had for it especially for WvW.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer