Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please people, tell me you're not ignorant and gullible, PLEASE!

1235»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You are being WAY to assumptious of what the game will be without giving it a chance. 

Not saying to buy into the hype either completely but just like you can't buy into hype, you can't bash on a game and call it bad without trying it.

Games like SWTOR or GW2 I'd of not known weren't going to be that great (for me, I'll not go into their flaws or I'll get fanbois on me. :) ) but I gave both a chance and found both to be very lack luster. Sure I didn't think much of them and wasn't high in my expectations of liking them, but I still gave them all a chance. You can't judge something without trying it, just like you should not hype something blindly thinking it will be the second coming of Mario.

• I like some of the things they're doing. Three way PvP, open world dungeons and minimal UI for example. I'll most likely buy it and play it. But at the same time they're doing stuff I absolutely dislike (such as unprecented use of instancing, phasing, on-the-fly-respec and load screens between zones), so it's hard to be optimistic.
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Purutzil

You are being WAY to assumptious of what the game will be without giving it a chance. 

Not saying to buy into the hype either completely but just like you can't buy into hype, you can't bash on a game and call it bad without trying it.

Games like SWTOR or GW2 I'd of not known weren't going to be that great (for me, I'll not go into their flaws or I'll get fanbois on me. :) ) but I gave both a chance and found both to be very lack luster. Sure I didn't think much of them and wasn't high in my expectations of liking them, but I still gave them all a chance. You can't judge something without trying it, just like you should not hype something blindly thinking it will be the second coming of Mario.

Problem with that approach is that many folks only have limited time and/or cash. It's just not feasable to go around trying every MMO that's out there. It's also really difficult to get trustworthy previews/reviews. Not sure what the answer is to that, but it does leave one in a bit of a quandry.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Boonshniggle

Mark my words, this will be a standard cookie cutter MMO. It will not have anything revolutionary, at least not in any big way. The Elder Scrolls brand is being used as nothing but Lore and an Atmosphere for their world. The game itself will be very much so your standard WoW, SWTOR, Everquest, etc. type affair, just set in an Elder Scrolls universe.

If you think this will play anything remotely like Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, or Skyrim and with MMO elements, you are going to be setting yourself up for a world of disappointment.

I really hope gamers learned from SWTOR and not listen to any hype, especially when a franchise you love is at stake. Please, be critical and logical and don't let your hope blind your logic and judgement.

This is the truth, rather you like it or not. So many of my friends didn't listen to me about SWTOR and every one of them regrets their purchase and support of that product. Now those same friends are getting hyped about this game thinking it will be MMO Skyrim. They will not listen to me say otherwise.

If you guys want to think it will be MMO Skyrim, go ahead, but at least this time I can feel I tried to warn more people about a brand that is mostly being used to rape your wallets and do nothing but build hype....for the most part anyways.

Pretty sure people looking at this game already know it will not play like the single-player games.

But thanks for looking out for us gamers. Although, instead of trying to warn me about a game I may or may not ever play, how about warning me when I am chatting up a lady at the bar. THAT would be helpful, knowing whether or not she will "play" like my ex's before her...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Problem with that approach is that many folks only have limited time and/or cash. It's just not feasable to go around trying every MMO that's out there. It's also really difficult to get trustworthy previews/reviews. Not sure what the answer is to that, but it does leave one in a bit of a quandry.

If you don't have enough money to try to games, I think its time to get a new hobby. Searching for reviews to live by on forums will just make you a sheep. I would rather try something for myself than take your word for it that the game is not good.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

If you don't have enough money to try to games, I think its time to get a new hobby. Searching for reviews to live by on forums will just make you a sheep. I would rather try something for myself than take your word for it that the game is not good.

With me it's more time then money. Spending, say 10 hours each on say, trying 6 different games a month to find out if they end up being fun to play or end up being fataly flawed would add upto 60 hours of play time burned through a month (and around $300 for those more cash strapped).... that's ALOT of game-play hours burned through trying to find something decent.

The reviews aren't reliable either. I don't have a good answer for it at the moment.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

to OP

i feel the same. ever since i saw the first few screen shots and heard the lead developer actually mentioning WoW as the template for this game i raged.

i've raged an almost all TES feeds on this site ever since.

TES mmo has been my dream ever since i played Oblivion and knew about mmos. i wanted a game exactly like Oblivion (now Skyrim) but with other players in it, like an mmo.

there is a VERY stubburn and small voice inside of me that says "maybe, just maybe it will be ok", but i know it's only wishfull thinking. It's going to be a train wreck.....

• Bastian_StarBastian_Star Member Posts: 36

I've recently come to the realization that, when it comes to MMO's, I'm not looking forward to anything...I'm looking backwards in a way. I'm chasing the elusive "dragon's tail" if you'll pardon the pun. What I REALLY want is that feeling that I got the very first time I started playing Asheron's Call or WoW or EQ1 and got hooked. The real problem is, well...me.

I do the best I can to slow down and try to enjoy the experience of whatever game I'm playing. It's so easy to fall alseep, rushing to some destination over and over again. Yes, I know! ClichéClichéCliché...I just refuse to keep running so damn fast to no where. THIS is it! I do my best to rememeber to stop every once in awhile, to slow down and just enjoy the ride because, when we get to that "destination" the ride will be over lol. Now THAT's funny (well, maybe not really, unless you have some totally warped sense of humor ;) )

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

I enjoyed SWTOR, and I'm sure I'll enjoy TESO.  I don't ask for every HALO game to be revolutionary,  I didn't ask for each Mass Effect to give me amazingly different gameplay at each iteration...

As much as I like the freedom of TES games,  I enjoy the lore and being in the world.  I'll play it and enjoy it for what it is, and not for what everyone wants it to be.  Does that make me ignorant and gullible?  

• GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

This thread is a touch wrong.  While its not going to be Skyrim MMO, its going to be closer to Skyrim than WoW from what I've seen.  The combat, as its being described, is closer to TES games than not.  The fact we have classes instead of open skill progression isn't really that far removed from Skyrim either.  Oh, you COULD level all the skills you wanted in Skyrim, but what decided how good you were with those skills was where you spent your talents.  Which more or less meant you were locked into very specific roles, albeit with a good deal of flexibility.  Not Morrowind flexibility, but still.

TES has been trending this direction for some time, for those of us who have actually followed it.  If they can capture its open world feel, with its action combat...then the game will certainly be closer to TES than WoW.  The fact I won't be able to loot all the stupid pillows and skulls everywhere isn't important to me.  The vast amount of random questing, exploration, and fairly open world is what matters to me.  Based on what I'VE read...these are all things that this game is focusing on.  Even having zones I need to level up to survive in isn't an issue, because that's no different than what Morrowind did.  Frankly, I dislike the "leveled" system that Obllivion and Skyrim used.  Its nice that it freed up the world a little, but it took away from the progression and worth behind it.  They could have erased levels and skills entirely and just balanced the game around what you start with and the experience would have been, mostly, unchanged.  Oblivion would have been better for it, really, as a person could gimp themselves easy in that game.

Again, I don't expect a perfect copy of the single player games with tons of players in it.  That wouldn't work.  That would be an ideal better served for a TES : Multiplayer game, and I wish they had made that first, frankly.  But what we have is an MMO, and I'm taking my understanding of those games into what I expect from this one.  So far, they have done more than I thought they would, considering the market. 

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Sorry  i don't believe you.  I think that could be the game of the year 2013.  Where are standard wow,eq, gw bar buttons???. I trust more my eyes and what they see on tube.  Why are you so angry? You will find your game one day
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Sorry  i don't believe you.  I think that could be the game of the year 2013.  Where are standard wow,eq, gw bar buttons???. I trust more my eyes and what they see on tube.  Why are you so angry? You will find your game one day

the videos i have see so far don't show ANY sort of UI which is very suspicious. It actually looks like they are hiding th UI because there is absolutely no aim crosshair, or highited mob, or skill bars, or maps, or ANYTHING.....it's like they are fighting blind. i used to play Aion with no UI (F10 key) causei thought it looked prettier, but it's almost impossible because you can't see your bars or skills or antying...... DF UW did the same thing with their promo videos because they didn't wan to show the new UI. it turns out their UI is a pretty standard mmo one.

the point is there is a UI in ESO, and they are neither showing it, nor talking about it. the only reason i can think of is that it looks way to much like WoW's and they dont want to piss more people off. if you have a vidoe with the UI i'd love to see it.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

the videos i have see so far don't show ANY sort of UI which is very suspicious. It actually looks like they are hiding th UI because there is absolutely no aim crosshair, or highited mob, or skill bars, or maps, or ANYTHING.....it's like they are fighting blind. i used to play Aion with no UI (F10 key) causei thought it looked prettier, but it's almost impossible because you can't see your bars or skills or antying...... DF UW did the same thing with their promo videos because they didn't wan to show the new UI. it turns out their UI is a pretty standard mmo one.

the point is there is a UI in ESO, and they are neither showing it, nor talking about it. the only reason i can think of is that it looks way to much like WoW's and they dont want to piss more people off. if you have a vidoe with the UI i'd love to see it.

And you have evidence for your thories? TESO can't fail my expectation  in both ways, in fact yes it can---if it goes direction of gw2

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435

to OP

i feel the same. ever since i saw the first few screen shots and heard the lead developer actually mentioning WoW as the template for this game i raged.

i've raged an almost all TES feeds on this site ever since.

TES mmo has been my dream ever since i played Oblivion and knew about mmos. i wanted a game exactly like Oblivion (now Skyrim) but with other players in it, like an mmo.

there is a VERY stubburn and small voice inside of me that says "maybe, just maybe it will be ok", but i know it's only wishfull thinking. It's going to be a train wreck.....

ALL ABOARD HAHAHA!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Yamota
    I agree with OP. Unless we MMO gamers stop buying this dumbing down and mainstreaming of awesome IPs then this garbage will continue to be released.

I love the use of the term "mainstreaming" here!  LOL

Gawd knows, why would any company in their right mind want to take an extremely popular IP and make it appeal to a large portion of the gaming community!! 

The world has gone crazy, thats for sure!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

They do show some of the UI in the 10 min vid they released, it shows map, crosshair, just no quickbar (guess its unfinished as ui tends to be late in the game), but even with the hotbar enabled i cant see it being too much like wow as there are only 6 buttons available in the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxJTsq2XeKY

Its at about 6:15

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Boneserino
    I agree with OP. Unless we MMO gamers stop buying this dumbing down and mainstreaming of awesome IPs then this garbage will continue to be released.

Gawd knows, why would any company in their right mind want to take an extremely popular IP and make it appeal to a large portion of the gaming community!! 

Quality tends to get left out in the rush to quantity... ^^ But hell, as long as this quarters report looks SO sweet, who cares?... ^^

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Boneserino

Yup... that's what SWTOR did.  Instead of appealing to KOTOR or SWG fans they wanted to please the 'large portion of the gaming community'. 

You wouldn't be in your right mind to think that a large portion of players want the same thing reskinned to their favorite IP.   Right now League of Legends appeals to a large portion of the gaming community, maybe they should add some tower defense elements into ESO while they are at it.