Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

15$ a month sub model is so old school!

Comments

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

$15 already is $5 due to inflation. Games should be free as in beer with a few steaming piles of f2p here and there to attract the flies;)

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Having wandered 40 months in the desert of F2P, I'm ready to return to traditional $15 AAA mmorpgs. F2P is a bit like "Dollar Day" at my local zoo. All it does is overcrowd the venue with people whose hygiene can be described as inadequet.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Fearum
    If gaming is your hobby and the game is worth 15$ a month it is fine. If you bitch about it being too much your either playing a shitty game or your just a cheap bastard and need to find a new hobby. I doubt there is cheaper hobby out there.

thats not really the point.

Example:

if the total number of MMO on the market was ==1.

And the sub fee was 15$ a month.

Well paying 15$ a month grants you access to 100% of all MMO.

Now if we keep the same sub fee cost, but increase the number of total MMO on the market to 5.

Playing 15$ a month only grants me access to 20% of all MMO.

Increase the total number of MMO again to 10.

And 15$ a month only gets me access to 10% of all MMO.

As we go on, the total number of MMO keep going up, but the price still remains the same. So at some point, most of the MMO will fall off the list, as we can see this more often today with so much MMO inflation.

The prices have to drop, or place a halt on the number of total MMO on the market. One has to give out for the other. Which would you rather have?

Wow... fuzzy math to it's finest. It's also flawed logic. Your $15 a month grants you access to %100 of each game. Do you understand how insane what you said sounds? That's like me saying that I'm eating at 5 restuarants today cause I feel like it and wanting them to lower the price on the menu as I'll only get to enjoy one meal fully. You pay the full price for the games and how you break it down is up to you and your available time. 

Just because you want to play all of the mmo's on the market doesn't mean the price should be lowered. Your main issue seems to be that you want to play all mmo's out at a given time but don't want to pay for them. 

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    im just saying its not bad to have a cash shop in a game its not like your forced to use it . If  i can get someone to spend money on a fake pair of boots to make there char look cooler id do it also .
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am afraid you have it wrong, OP.

I agree with the first part...15 USD / month is old school.

But 5 USD / month is the future? I didnt realize goods and services were getting cheaper with time.

If something, it is "25 USD / month is the future"...for some time. 35 USD / month then, and so on.

Dont get fooled by tons of crappy games going F2P (or B2P as some people refer to F2P with box price). I believe that for quality games, P2P is still the most profitable option and I dont think its likely that the price will go down.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics calculator, the $15 a month you paid in 2000 would be $20.05 today.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    My game of choice has been holding at 10 USD per month / free trial and dl for 8 years now. There is also infinite free-to-play so long as you never leave the starter zone.

I pay 160 USD for a 2 year subscription, a less expensive option in the same game. The only extra money I have spent on the game has been on a couple real t-shirts, a water bottle, coffee mug, and some guerilla advertising.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by dave6660

I am afraid you have it wrong, OP.

I agree with the first part...15 USD / month is old school.

But 5 USD / month is the future? I didnt realize goods and services were getting cheaper with time.

If something, it is "25 USD / month is the future"...for some time. 35 USD / month then, and so on.

Dont get fooled by tons of crappy games going F2P (or B2P as some people refer to F2P with box price). I believe that for quality games, P2P is still the most profitable option and I dont think its likely that the price will go down.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics calculator, the $15 a month you paid in 2000 would be $20.05 today.

The sub prices wont necessarily be increasing equally with the inflation, but if something, they will go up, in my opinion.

I understand.  I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out the statistics.

Once the first major company in the game industry raises it's monthly sub fee everybody else will follow suit.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

There are already F2P, no sting attached MMOs. I am not sure what a $5 sub will accomplish.

In fact, it is not the money, but the hassle of having a sub .. and feel like i am wasting money if i don't play. No commitment F2P solves that problem.

Yes, 50 cents a day, what a fucking hassle and painful commitment image

Personally, I'd much rather have a high quality P2P that keeps me coming back for more, than settle for some mediocre to subpar disposable "F2P" that relies on the unreliable by nature "whales".

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

I do not mean to be condescending, but I know this will come accross that way. If you find a game you like that costs $15 a month and you cannot afford that pricetag, then you should not be gaming. You should be out looking for a job. For the price of a movie you can spend hours every month playing a game. In fact, for a lot of us, it works out to a few cents per hour per month. If you cannot afford that, or are too young to be able to afford it, then you need to be either out job hunting and put your hobby on the backburner until you can, or go back to school and  make yourself more productive.

Gaming is a luxury hobby. If you cannot afford that luxury, then you dont do it. I like Porches, but I cannot afford 1. Does that mean Porche should start selling them for less? No it means I should work harder to make more money.

I see WAY to omany entitled gamers that want things for free neglecting to recognice that very simple fact of life...nothing is free.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Consequence

I do not mean to be condescending, but I know this will come accross that way. If you find a game you like that costs $15 a month and you cannot afford that pricetag, then you should not be gaming. You should be out looking for a job. For the price of a movie you can spend hours every month playing a game. In fact, for a lot of us, it works out to a few cents per hour per month. If you cannot afford that, or are too young to be able to afford it, then you need to be either out job hunting and put your hobby on the backburner until you can, or go back to school and  make yourself more productive.

Gaming is a luxury hobby. If you cannot afford that luxury, then you dont do it. I like Porches, but I cannot afford 1. Does that mean Porche should start selling them for less? No it means I should work harder to make more money.

I see WAY to omany entitled gamers that want things for free neglecting to recognice that very simple fact of life...nothing is free.  

Except, what if you want to play more than one MMORPG? 

In my case I freely pay $45.00 a month for 3 subs to EVE, but what if I want to try another title or two.  That 15.00 a month can add up, where as if someone were to offer an older title like DAOC or AC1 at a discount rate like 5.00 a month, I might be encouraged to give it a go.

I agree, you need to pay for quality games, but I can understand why some folks might want a lowered fee, perhaps based on a tier system like I recently saw for ArcheAge for players who want to limit their committment.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358
    Originally posted by Kyleran

In my case I freely pay $45.00 a month for 3 subs to EVE, but what if I want to try another title or two.  That 15.00 a month can add up, where as if someone were to offer an older title like DAOC or AC1 at a discount rate like 5.00 a month, I might be encouraged to give it a go.

I agree, you need to pay for quality games, but I can understand why some folks might want a lowered fee, perhaps based on a tier system like I recently saw for ArcheAge for players who want to limit their committment.

You are missing my point entirely. 

WANT has little to do with it. CAN has everything to do with it. If you want to play a game but cannot afford it, then too bad ,so sad. There is a great deal of humility in a person who wants but knows he cant have.

You do not have a right to 3 subs to EVE. You may have the ability because you have enough cash. But you arent entitled to anything.

This is what I am talking about tho, I find it hard to believe anyone who works hard for a living would take the attitude " I WANT to play multiple mmos and have multiple accounts so I should be able.  The reason I say this is becuase that is a spoiled childs way of thinking and not a working persons way of thinking.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    I still don't get the big fuss over $0.50 per day. I can't even get a soda for that much anymore.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

15$ per month is nothing, thats 50 cents a day (30 cents if doing longer subs).

lower sub fee or f2p = cash shop= eventualy going p2w = me and many others quitting.

Sure f2p games are better for those without a job, young kids, and people on a tight budget, but the negatives far outweight the positives.

F2P = limits, dont we have enough of those with the newer rash of bad games?

Why should someone in game be able to do more and have more than you just because their wallet is fat? Sub game is a cheap 15/month and you have equal ground and able to gain just as much as the next person.

PvP is rules by cash shops in some games, its ok to have a "god mode" because people think its bad to charge 15/month?

Pay for extra inventory, pets, mounts, upgrades, housing, decor, etc.......... you end up spoending more in the long run unless you are a freeloader, but then you are gimped and will never get out of the game what a paying person would.

Content, missions, dlc's, new items, dungeons, and so much more is b2p in the long run.

Realy this is ok with you? Just to play the game free or cheap and not get 100% out of it? Why bother?

Your f2p game experience will never be better than my paid game experience. I have yet to find a true f2p game. Even games like aion and tsw come close, but still they find ways to milk you. Games that are b2p like gw's is not truely free either their cash shop charges pretty hefty premiums.

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Kyleran

You are missing my point entirely. 

WANT has little to do with it. CAN has everything to do with it. If you want to play a game but cannot afford it, then too bad ,so sad. There is a great deal of humility in a person who wants but knows he cant have.

You do not have a right to 3 subs to EVE. You may have the ability because you have enough cash. But you arent entitled to anything.

This is what I am talking about tho, I find it hard to believe anyone who works hard for a living would take the attitude " I WANT to play multiple mmos and have multiple accounts so I should be able.  The reason I say this is becuase that is a spoiled childs way of thinking and not a working persons way of thinking.

Very nice!!!! +1

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

let me do this crazy idea ok? keep it 15 a month and stop all CS and any monetizing you put in games and maybe I will stop thinking this genre golden age is long gone.

most of you guys don't give value to your own money and that is ok, but now since we have so many fools spending over $50 a month on cash shop items and then we don't have games to play anymore, that is when start to be my problem.

also its funny, games nowaday have so many graphics they don't even spend time on gameplay, I don't doubt is sometime we will only watch CG films and not play the game anymore. then why we will say its a game?

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by DarkLordIxor

I would personally rather pay 15 a month than have item shops, cosmetic shops and P2W bullshart cramed down my throat from all these newer F2p games. At least with p2p I know I am on equal footing with everyone else and the company won't go under right away.

I absolutely despise pay to win.

I also dislike P2W but lets be real here, regardless a sub, cashshop or what ever shop we the player never truly know if another player is a Pay To Win type of person, of course sub games might make it somewhat harder for those who want to "cheat" there way to the top, but lets face it still happens even in sub games. Else there wouldn't be thousands if not million of 3rd party goldscammers websites all over the net.

I actually feel that it´s those 3rd party goldscammers sites that have activated these F2P games, cause developers-gamecompany´s didn´t see the revenue those 3rd party sites got. We have complained in the past about goldscammers, people spamming them.

But now with today´s new people into this genre they start to call gamecompany´s greedy. They do not realize how much money gamecompany´s have lost due to those 3rd party sites and perhaps even today still loose allot of money due to those sites.

As for OP, I can understand your way of thinking about a lower cost price cause lets face today´s MMO´s and not much more then just online combat games and most people seem to want what´s at cap lvl which turns the game into just your regular multiplayer game.

But personaly I have no problems with paying 15€ a month for a game I enjoy, I have no reall problems with MMORPG´s that have both sub-fee and a cashshop, aslong I am able to get everything that the cashshop offers ingame aswell by pure playing the game. Perhaps it also has to do with the fact that a MMORPG isn´t my first PVP choice of game, where I understand it might be somewhat more frustrating towards a PVP player then towards a social PVE player. But due to the social I do dislike cosmetic cashshops if the cosmetics only can be gained by a cashshop and not ingame by actually playing the game. I don´t care for XP boosters unless they would put int a XP limiter. XP is already gained far to fast and I sure stay away from XP weekend when the MMORPG I am playing is offering them :P

Sometimes I rather pay the small subfee then be anoyed by F2P restrictions, example SWtOR, while it aint a MMORPG to me it´s still an entertaining game to me, did try the F2P version for about 4 hours totally in a week and didn´t like the drawback it gave me being a sub before I tried the F2P version.

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93

$5.00/month screams "Quick crash grab low quality game". Better go B2P and spare us the hassle of another CC transaction.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I don't have a problem paying a subscription fee for a good mmorpg. The problem isn't that people don't want to pay a sub, it's the problem of mediocre themepark WoW clones, no one wants to pay a sub for. I've said it before, I'd gladly pay $25-$50 a month for a good mmorpg. I pay more than that to go watch a movie at the local theatre with the family, and that's just 2 hours or under worth of entertainment for a mediocre movie most of the time.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I like my b2p games... Gw2 comes to mind... Eve also has an interesting system I can partially agree with.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

It's "old school"?  I haven't heard that in well over a decade, middle school seems so long ago now.

In any event, lowering a subscription price still leaves the customers required to subscribe with a recurring payment they'd feel they'd have to make the most of or they should cancel.  Shifting the number a bit doesn't change much besides the amount their wallet gets depleted by every month.

More options for pay plans would be better than just altering one.

For example, one MMO I played in Asia land had a system where you could buy time for money, and time bought carried over from month to month.  I could buy a little time to try the game for a tiny fee of a matter of cents.  If I bought several hours, it was still far below the $15 mark, and let me play for weeks.  It fit my play schedule perfectly, because when I played a ton it used the money I spent, and when I did not play the money was not 'wasted' as the time was there to use later.

Buy to play, free to play, subscription, and pay for hours can all work, sometimes more than one of those can work in the same MMO.

I think the trick is to get players to feel as though they are paying because they want something, not because they have to.  The feeling of not getting your moneys worth can be a huge detriment to many things, not just an MMO.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Cecropia

There are already F2P, no sting attached MMOs. I am not sure what a $5 sub will accomplish.

In fact, it is not the money, but the hassle of having a sub .. and feel like i am wasting money if i don't play. No commitment F2P solves that problem.

Personally, I'd much rather have a high quality P2P that keeps me coming back for more, than settle for some mediocre to subpar disposable "F2P" that relies on the unreliable by nature "whales".

50 cents a day for ONE MMO. What about if i want to play 10? Just keeping track of which one i have a sub is a pain.

Personally, there are enough fun F2P that i don't see a reason ever to pay for a sub, and i probably won't.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There is only one problem with reducing sub amounts, and that is, that the game developers etc, need to then raise the money in another fashion, in game advertising isnt really viable, it doesnt pay much, and isnt really all that popular with advertisers either these days, which means that items necessary to game play, will need to be purchaseable in a cash shop, or alternatively, a reduced sub fee would only give you access to the game for a certain amount of time on a week to week basis, and you would then have to 'buy hours' in order to continue playing. Either way, games cost money to run, and expecting companies to do so at a loss, is a ludicrous idea, just isnt going to work, going F2P, or microtransactions only has so much appeal either, as the inevitable P2W usually follows shortly after when it turnsout that, buying cosmetic items doesnt generate sufficient income on its own, take Planetside 2, F2P game, but if you want to win, you need to buy certain things, like, for aircraft, you need rocket pods, and thats just the tip of the iceberg, pay to compete is just pay to win with good PR..  but it may be coming on time to change the $15 month sub model, perhaps in the near future, if you we want to play quality games, we'll need to invest a bit more, like $20 or $25 a month,  or to put it another way, is $5 a week really a lot of money, these days, you can spend more than that just on a pack of cigarettes, or  1½  pints of beer. And in my opinion most MMO's represent far better value for money.image
    Originally posted by Cecropia

50 cents a day for ONE MMO. What about if i want to play 10? Just keeping track of which one i have a sub is a pain.

Personally, there are enough fun F2P that i don't see a reason ever to pay for a sub, and i probably won't.

How can you find time to play 10 mmorpg's?  I found trying to juggle 2 to be a herculean task.

-- Herman Melville

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by alkarionlog

let me do this crazy idea ok? keep it 15 a month and stop all CS and any monetizing you put in games and maybe I will stop thinking this genre golden age is long gone.

most of you guys don't give value to your own money and that is ok, but now since we have so many fools spending over $50 a month on cash shop items and then we don't have games to play anymore, that is when start to be my problem.

also its funny, games nowaday have so many graphics they don't even spend time on gameplay, I don't doubt is sometime we will only watch CG films and not play the game anymore. then why we will say its a game?

What do you mean that people here "don't give value" to their own money? This is a very shitty statement. Just because someone wants to spend $50 in a cash shop doesn't mean they don't value their money. Perhaps they just have a little more disposable income then you... You should not insult people who spend money in cash shops. I mean, it's really none of your business in the first place. And don't give me that bullshit that people who spend money in cashshops are ruining the game for others. They're not. In a lot of cases, they are keeping some of these games from dying. 

You don't like the cash shop? Ignore it like I do. But don't insult people who chose to use it and tell them they don't value their money. P.S - no one cares if you think the "genre golden age is long gone". Lot's of people are still playing mmo's and having a good time. 

People need to stop assuming that just because they are misreble, everyone is misreble. Fuck. 

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Your talking about quanity over quality. Hyundai vs Mercedes. Just because you have a billion cheap ass cars does not take away the value of a good car with more features.

Having driven both, I'll take the Hyundai.