Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am I wasting my time?

CitalssCitalss Member Posts: 28

Since there's no raids in the game or gear progression, what am I supposed to do after slaving my way to level 80 (Yes, I'm enjoying the story, but the generic events and tasks are getting to me)

I'm only level thirty right now.

What is there to do at end-game, what can I look forward to?

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Citalss

Havn't yet gotten there myself, but from what I've read, more of the same you're already doing.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Yes, by playing an MMORPG, you are wasting your time. Is there something about raiding that makes you feel like you are wasting less time?

Personally, I rarely even do PvE at all. I've done fractals every once in a while which are actually pretty cool. But almost all of my time is spent doing PvP. It's the thing that actually keeps me playing and I think I would have moved on a long time ago if I were to go strict PvE.

But if you have simply stopped having fun, there are too many other amazing time wasters (games) not to try something else out IMO.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Since there's no raids in the game or gear progression, what am I supposed to do after slaving my way to level 80 (Yes, I'm enjoying the story, but the generic events and tasks are getting to me)

I'm only level thirty right now.

Um.  There is gear progression with sizable grinds for minimal stat improvements.

Leveling was the best part.  Don't rush it or worry about end game.  Once you reach the level cap you can buy rare gear real cheap in the trading post.  After that. it's up to you to decide if you want the better gear.  WvWvW and leveling alts are the only real alternatives.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    PvP is the main end game for me. But you can work on getting the lvl 80 exotic sets and the ascended gear.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Once you get full exotics at level 80 there are legendaries to work for I guess. Or the new fractal armor ( or whatever its called ).

I personally like the game alot and had a great time with it, but have shelved it for now. Many of my friends have done the same after reaching max level. There is stuff to do, just not much of it appealed to me personally. Your milage may vary =)

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Since you're apparently new here, I won't give you the stock answer of "This topic has been beaten to death!".

Things to do at level 80:

Finish personal story

Map completion

Crafting

Dungeons

WvWvW

sPvP

Exotic Gear

Optional grind for Legendary/Ascended gear

Jumping Puzzles

Role Playing

Exploration - not to be confused with Map Completion

Keg Brawl

So far, Anet has come out with new content on average once a month.  Some of them one-shot deals, some that last for weeks.  So you could play those, then, considering it's not subscription, stop playing for the rest of the month, then come back for the new stuff next month.

I'm sure I missed something, but it seems the "end-game" that most people enjoy in GW2 is the Fractal Dungeon runs, which IMO are very fun.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Finish personal story

Map completion

WvWvW

I stopped there.  I wish I enjoyed the game enough to stay.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108

If you're having fun right now, then no... You're not wasting your time.

If you're not enjoying the game right now, and are only lvl'ing to reach end game, then yes, you are wasting your time.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I've done map completion, full exoctic, dungeon paths, finished my story, burned through most of the way to obtaining a legendary (just need t6 mats and a few lode stones) and now I'm kind of playing it off and on. Mostly I log into WvWvW to follow a zerg or chat with guild, and from time to do a dragon event. To be honset I'm just waiting for updates now. It's giving me a chance to play other games till then. The game isn't boring; I have fun when i play, it's just I ran out of stuff I want to do on a daily basis, I even took a break from dailies.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

If you feel like you're "slaving" your way to 80, i would just stop and go play another game.

If you're not enjoying the climb to 80, you'll hate 80.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Finish personal story

Map completion

WvWvW

I stopped there.  I wish I enjoyed the game enough to stay.

You can always come back and it won't cost you a thing. Even if you uninstalled, just reinstall and you're back. 

Been having a blast with WvW again (took a couple weeks off for more pure PvE, nice break...), JQ is once again resurging there. The only problem I have right now with WvW... too many commanders. Far too may people with pins that aren't in chat just running around like the proverbial headless chickens picking up any pugs that happen across them and see the shiny pin. I think we simply need to get better getting people into TS again to get the coordination back.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    If you re logging in at 30 and thinking it s boring, then yes you re wasting your time. You re lucky I guess, I couldn t stomach more then 20 levels, before uninstalling.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Here's a review from someone (Athene Wins) that got bored early with Guild Wars 2. If you didn't feel the game right away, well, here you go.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    there is so much to do at 80 compared to any other newer game, there just isn't raiding. Do fractals, work on your legendary, do world completion if you feel like it, do explorables, do events and stuff out in Orr, do WvW, work up in sPvP, do tournements....
  • ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    I was in the same boat as you.  I tried every class, finally settled on warrior, forced my way to 50 purely because I wanted to like the game, then logged in less and less and finally uninstalled.  So I can't comment on level 80, but if you are not enjoying the levelling then don't play. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Valentina
    there is so much to do at 80 compared to any other newer game, there just isn't raiding. Do fractals, work on your legendary, do world completion if you feel like it, do explorables, do events and stuff out in Orr, do WvW, work up in sPvP, do tournements....

This ^

There really is a lot of things to do in this game. However, a lot of people who have played since launch have done most of them by now. In terms of repeatable content, it mostly comes down to dungeons / fractals, WvW, and trying to obtain either a legendary, or some of the cooler forged weapons that are difficult to make.

If you are one of those people that feels the only reason to play an MMO is to be handed more and more powerful items the longer you play, then you couldn't have gotten into a game less suited to your playstyle.

There is a fairly shallow stat progression for gear, and once that's done, it's all about customization. Getting multiple armor sets for different builds, getting the skins you want, etc. The main forms of vertical progression this game has are fractals (trying to get to higher and higher difficulty levels), and sPvP glory. Neither of which really make your stats any better.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Everything about GW2 is easy, leveling is no exception. I have 3 level 80's. The first one I leveled the traditional way going through following main story doing hearts and events, little bit of crafting and some WvW. The other 2 I leveled to 80 in a few days each through mostly crafting and exp buffs. After that it was kind of boring with nothing really to do.

So take your time and enjoy the game, there really isnt much to do when you get to 80 so don't rush it.

• CitalssCitalss Member Posts: 28

Just did my first dungeon, and it's safe to say.. Goodbye Guild wars2

They really have ruined PVE by removing the trio (Imo anyway)

It was just a death and button mash fest. Dungeons are an unorganised mess...

Guess I'll just have to wait for Age of wulin

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

To all the people who uninstalled the game - why comment - say you didn't like it and move on - please.

To Citalss, it sounds like you won't like that game either. If you want the holy trio (which is overrated makes makes for a simple game mechanics) - go to Rift.

• CitalssCitalss Member Posts: 28

Hardly overrated.

It causes players to feel some importance instead of just hitting for high numbers. It's always fun to heal and feel important.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Here's a review from someone (Athene Wins) that got bored early with Guild Wars 2. If you didn't feel the game right away, well, here you go.

Who was his target for this video? New players? I just don't think old players will buy it. It's the whole "Your playing hte game wrong. You must be confused." thing.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by botrytis

To all the people who uninstalled the game - why comment - say you didn't like it and move on - please.

To Citalss, it sounds like you won't like that game either. If you want the holy trio (which is overrated makes makes for a simple game mechanics) - go to Rift.

There's certainly tanks in AoW, in a loose since. The rest are support though. Pills do the healing, if your playing well.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    GW2 is like a treadmill, you keep running and burning energy, but not got any further.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    GW2 is like a treadmill, you keep running and burning energy, but not got any further.

GW2 is the opposite of a treadmill. You don't need to keep running and burn energy to remain competitive.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Well it is impossible to say really as it differs from person to person. I found the whole thing disappointing really and uninstalled the game after 4-5 weeks, it just didn't do it for me at all. But others are clearly still playing and enjoying it for far longer than that. I guess you will just have to grind it out and find out for yourself which camp you will fall into at the end.

But to answer your question you can look forward to:

Grinding dungeons for tokens.

Grinding DE's/ORR.

Grinding gold.

Grinding legendaries.

Absolutely terrible WvWvW (in my opinion, others no doubt enjoy it).

To be fair though, given you have acutally paid for it and it is just B2P, why the worry? Just progress as and when you fancy a blast at it, so you can have a max level toon to mess about with when they release new content. For me the game seems set up to be played in such a way, not to be played non stop (so to speak) like a typical mmo. If anything that is perhaps where it is being the most "innovative". 

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."