Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] General: Bill's Games of 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week we took a look back at the year that was and listed our favorite games. This week we turn to the year ahead and the games that have us sitting on pins and needles in anticipation. Each staff member will have his (or her!) day but we always begin with Bill Murphy. See what's got Bill all of a dither and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Mind you, these are just the games I am looking forward to, and if we were allowing ourselves to stretch the list to ten, it would look a lot different. For instance, I don’t know when Star Citizen is going to come out and it's one I'm watching but there are other sandbox games that intrigue me more this year. Similarly, I expect we’ll see more about Titan, but I could be completely wrong and Blizzard might stay mum this year too. So it’s not included here.  We also don’t know when ArcheAge is coming to the US, Lineage: Eternal, Blade & Soul, and so many more. You get the idea. My list could go on forever. But these? These are the games I’m most eager to see unfold this year.

Read Bill's Games of 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402
    ArcheAge

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
  • WarmachinezWarmachinez Member Posts: 11
    Overall great list! I'm looking forward to almost everyoen of these games in the future... and I clearly dont have enought time for all of them...
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I don't get my hopes up for any game anymore. I wait for 6 months or so untill after the release to see if the game sucks or not.
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Good list Bill!

One thing I notice, is that there is a split with some sandboxes, and some themeparks that are worthy of some notice. In the past, I think some sandboxes were "on the list" just because they were sandboxes, and people so badly wanted to see a successful sandbox. Somehow though, most of the sandboxes were not supported for a variety of reasons (and that includes that they were not that good in some cases.)

I know my tastes are varied these days, but I think both categories are merited, and I'm definitely paying attention to both.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    I don't get my hopes up for any game anymore. I wait for 6 months or so untill after the release to see if the game sucks or not.

I've been burnt in the past as well, and it's hard to get excited. That said, there are enough titles there, that I'm definitely paying cursory attention to, without diving into at this point.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Baikal
    Originally posted by Ingvar

I've been burnt in the past as well, and it's hard to get excited. That said, there are enough titles there, that I'm definitely paying cursory attention to, without diving into at this point.

Paying attention is one thing getting my hopes up is another

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Another you might want to look at is StarBound

It's a side on sandbox, with the same art team as terraria.

But they are doing a similar approach to star citizen and elite 4 where....
    You can play the game solo
    You can play the game on private servers with friends
    And you can play the game on public mmo like servers.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Ok list but not believing the hype anymore when it comes to mmos. Too many times people write good stuff about mmos just to see them fail at release. I'm taking the wait and see approach from now on.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

wishful thinking would be nice to see a borderlands mmo maybe in 2014-15!

but for now GW2 has my mmo undivided attention.

• Rthuth434Rthuth434 Member Posts: 346
    why do people think EQ next will come out this year....or be any good?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Yep, pretty much the same games I am looking forward to, but besides Darkfall and Defiance, don't see any of those other games releasing in 2013, all of them look like 2014 games.

Neverwinter, because of Perfect World's and Cryptic's reputations, I will take a wait and see stance on it.  I think people will be quite disappointed with the forge, it is quite limited compared to prior NW games.  Hopefully that will change and the game won't be p2w.  If that occurs it could be a really good addition to the genre.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    I'm looking at all sandboxes now, preordering none. I'll give each sandbox game a month after their launch and watch streams before I decide which to get.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by orbitxo

wishful thinking would be nice to see a borderlands mmo maybe in 2014-15!

but for now GW2 has my mmo undivided attention.

I'm more excited to wish for a possibility of SWG 2.0 after star wars episode 9 comes out which maybe is around 2019 or 2020.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Out of all the games you have for 2013 I just pray they get TESO right and it launches well. I consider it to have the best lore of any RPG and believe it could make a truly amazing MMO. If they manage to recreate an authentic Elderscrolls RPG experience but in an MMO I can see me playing this for years and years.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    EQ Next isn't coming out this year, no, but it WILL be unveiled finally and that warrants my list personally. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• VolkanikVolkanik Member Posts: 8
    You forgot Otherland, Star Citizen and possibly The Repopulation; other than that, spot on ;)
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I want to get excited about TESO but I just can't. I fear it will be another flash in the pan. Other than the action combat, it's not bringing anything unique to the table. What's the point of 3 faction pvp if its limited to one instanced zone? And there's no room for exploration either being limited to my own faction's region.  This has a ton of potential but I fear it will end up like many other hopeful MMOs. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't think its instanced, its the outdoor region of cyrodil isn't it. In fact didn't they say no instanced mini game style pvp?
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by dadante666
    ArcheAge

Considering included are games that won't release in 2013, any list should include ArcheAge

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    The Repopulation for me,I doubt EQ Next will be out this year and even though SOE despite being hounded as a bad company they have  had the best MMORPG's ever made.I have a feeling EQNext will be a super casual game on multi platform even though they say it will be a sandbox.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    [mod edit]

Personally its nice to see what look like some good possibilites for gaming coming in the near future.  But until they are up and running and I have a chance to play them, they are just names.   And I will stick to being excited about the games I am playing now.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by releaseme

"or will it give them an endgame that's worth hanging around for?"

[mod edit]

You might want to follow what ESO is doing at their level cap (hint - so far it's all talk of dungeons, PVP, and more dungeons) then come back and be a bit nicer. 

And for what it's worth, I think WoW has a terribly endgame model.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Kinda surprised Wild Star didn't make your list. EQ Next won't even be out this year and maybe not 2014 seeing they scraped the whole game to start over. Also FFXIV even though it is a re-do could have been in there somewhere, but the 2 that have my attention right now are on your list which is Neverwinter and Elder Scrolls Online. I am also watching Firefly Universe Online now that it looks like it will be rebirthed and has a nod from Fox.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    EQ Next isn't coming out this year, no, but it WILL be unveiled finally and that warrants my list personally. 

Its the only one that I am looking forward to.  I've had a 12 year relationship with Norrath, and I don't see that ending any time soon.