Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Prologue Trailer Released

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Square Enix has released the full eight plus minute prologue video from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. As the time for the full release of the game nears, the team is also looking for more players to join the beta test and help prepare the game for launch.

Apply for beta testing on the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Only 8 minutes? Slackers.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    God that gave me goosebumps !
    Chamber of Chains
  • ResilResil Member UncommonPosts: 5

Damm i hope they will do right mmo this time :) 

Those cinematics are breathtaking . 

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Give me it now.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Looks great, I love the art style so much in FF games and hope this launches well for them 2nd time round.
  • StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199
    As bad as SE has been doing lately, there is still no other company who makes cinematics as good.  It almost makes me want to forget how they ruined FFXI and FFXIV the first time around and give it another chance.
    Originally posted by Strayfe
    As bad as SE has been doing lately, there is still no other company who makes cinematics as good.  It almost makes me want to forget how they ruined FFXI and FFXIV the first time around and give it another chance.

How did they ruin FFXI the first time round?  I've played a lot of MMO's and XI is one of  the best mmo's i have played in my book.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

How did they ruin FFXI the first time round?  I've played a lot of MMO's and XI is one of  the best mmo's i have played in my book.

Probably referring to the Abyssea debacle, that which I kinda concur with.  I did prefer the original, slower leveling and content myself, but I also understand that MMO playstyles have been changing and as I've gotten older I just don't have the patience to spend 14+ hrs in a PT like I used too.

I still dislike it somewhat, but also welcome it, should I ever return.  Would finally be able to lvl quickly then get back to finishing storylines I never got too...

• StrayfeStrayfe Member UncommonPosts: 199

Bad grammar, sorry.  FFXI was awesome, but they ruined it later on with Abyssea and raising the level cap.  FFXIV they ruined the first time around.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

Probably referring to Abyssea...

Strayfe I'd advise you to give ARR a shot; the game has changed in so many ways (for the better IMO) and the current producer is very transparent about his plans which is a well overdue breath of fresh air in this industry. The re-release is currently set to be one of the most feature-rich MMOs available.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

That is an insanely awesome trailer that captures the sprit of Final Fantasy really well.

But, the reality in game looks more like this:

Gameplay Video

I'm going to buy it anyway.

Originally posted by colddog04

That is an insanely awesome trailer that captures the sprit of Final Fantasy really well.

Gameplay Video

To be fair that video was showing off the dungeon, not the combat, as most of the key combat systems weren't implemented in the alpha...

The upcoming beta should demonstrate a bit more depth to the combat as skillchains and limitbreaks are introduced.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Ughh more CGI. Gone are the days when i used to get all hyped up after watching CGI trailers. Actualy gameplay though still looks boring.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by colddog04

Gameplay Video

I wouldnt read to much into that video, a lot of feedback has been left from players in alpha.  I'm expecting a lot of changes coming in reaction to the feedback, and at last count 83 points were marked for adjustments, some of those noted even had multiple bullet points.

• crimsion2501crimsion2501 Member UncommonPosts: 7
    i just hope that when they said they wanted to westernise it that they didn't mean they were going to WoWafy it if they did that once ppl realised that it was just WoW with FF models ppl will leave again
    Originally posted by crimsion2501
    i just hope that when they said they wanted to westernise it that they didn't mean they were going to WoWafy it if they did that once ppl realised that it was just WoW with FF models ppl will leave again

The only 'WoWification' is the introduction of quest-based levelling, and even then it differs still as there aren't enough quests to max all classes so there will have to be viable alternatives. The combat is nothing like WoW other than that it uses a hotbar; skillchains, limit breaks and the slower pacing will be enough to distinguish it.

A lot of people read far too much into that comment by Yoshi... especially when the hard facts of what's actually in the game makes the 'WoW clone' implication an impossibility.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    So they decided to rebuild it like a regular ff rpg.. Not complaining just wish square wouldn't have lost there way and gotten too big for there own good..

waiting for beta invite or open beta
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    So they decided to rebuild it like a regular ff rpg.. Not complaining just wish square wouldn't have lost there way and gotten too big for there own good..

waiting for beta invite or open beta

I wouldn't blame SE entirely, it had more to do with Tanaka not adapting to the changes in MMO development and ignoring tester feedback.  He's no longer working at Square Enix now and has no hand in any FF anymore,  yay!

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    Maybe if SE spent as much time on their games as their cinematics they would actually produce something worth playing. . . :/
    Originally posted by MisterSr
    Maybe if SE spent as much time on their games as their cinematics they would actually produce something worth playing. . . :/

You think the guys that make the cinematics are the same guys that develop the game? Really?

From my understanding SE has a single cinematics team that creates them for all of their games; they're separate from the individual development teams.

Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by MisterSr

You think the guys that make the cinematics are the same guys that develop the game? Really?

From my understanding SE has a single cinematics team that creates them for all of their games; they're separate from the individual development teams.

And from a recent interview, Yoshi-P said that the FFXIV team is 300 people strong and they've outsourced some of the work to third parties. {although I'm pretty sure all their CG is in-house}  

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Is anyone else having troubles access the Beta invite page? I keep getting an Error Message.
    Originally posted by Sabbicat
    Is anyone else having troubles access the Beta invite page? I keep getting an Error Message.

The link in the OP is giving me an error.

Try these, they're working fine for me:

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Their first release of FFXIV was like a low-budget indy fuck up. I almost forgot that SE is actually the opposite -- although it was still a fuck up.

This video is already showing much higher quality, and the gameplay videos released - while a little slow on the combat, it seems -  looks to be a major improvement on the original. I think when they release this time around they'll have a hit on their hands. Probably more on the PS3 than the PC, however.