Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

i just can't seem to enjoy DF's combat after having played MO.

JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i played DF before i ever tried MO. while i enjoyed DF i never bonded with it 100%, biggest issue for me was the 3rd person melee combat, and the art style was never quite my cup of tea. when MO came out i was sold right away and ended up playing MO exclusively for almost 2 years  before my "bugs frustration" had me rage quit (multiple times).

[mod edit]

MO's melee combat (all bugs and crap aside) is one of the most immersive melee combat i have ever played an, imo, the closest thing to TES combat. there is simply nothing else that makes me feel like i'm actually swinging a sword at someone and vice versa. there is just nothing that gets me quite so excited as seeing my enemy lift his 2h sword and charge at me like in MO. the feeling generated by the camera engles is just incredibly immersive. i really feel like someone is hacking at me, and when you land that last blow and their head goes flying it's an incredible rush.....

of course every time i try to go back to MO i end up rage quitting almost immediately as almost every action you do incurs some sort of bug or glitch and my tollerance has been worn to shreads by this game.

so now here i stand incredibly torn. one the one hand DF is a very solid (compared to MO) game but it's just feels like...meh, only so exciting. on the other i crave MO's combat rush but i know i'll just get pissed again and rage quit if i go back.

anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    biggest issue for me was the 3rd person melee combat

No...MOs horrible prediction/desync still plagues the game and kills combat for me.  (putting aside all the other glaring issues)

Ummm... Why dont you play DF in first person then?

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

yes i hate MO's prediction/desync but i consider that a bug/broken mechanic, so when i said "all bugs aside" i included prediction.

DF's first person feels like an after thought really, you see maybe 1/3 of your weappon. you can't hold your swing. cant directional block. there is no momentum. even the swing it'self is an extremely rigid and awquard animation. i makes me feel like i'm one of those minecraft characters chopping at a bock...It's plain uggly.

on top of that the fact that everyone else is using 3rd person really puts you at a disadvantage since they have incredibly better situation awarenes. You besiacly put yourself at a disadvantage by trying to stay in first person. At least in MO i know that everyone else has teh same view.

...if only SV was able to actually fix even half of MO's existing bugs.....

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

on top of that the fact that everyone else is using 3rd person really puts you at a disadvantage since they have incredibly better situation awarenes. You besiacly put yourself at a disadvantage by trying to stay in first person. At least in MO i know that everyone else has teh same view.

Try fighting fire mages in DF, while you're in the melee first person view. 

It  just doesn't work when player does not feel physical forces throwing him around - and there is nothing that can be done about it. 

You either design the game for FPV, or TPV.  

Or wait 20 years for fully immersive virtual reality technology.

• HodoHodo Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    biggest issue for me was the 3rd person melee combat

No...MOs horrible prediction/desync still plagues the game and kills combat for me.  (putting aside all the other glaring issues)

Ummm... Why dont you play DF in first person then?

Because those in third person have an advantage against those who play in first person.  

Then there is the issues Jak mentions later, clunky animations, 1/3 of your weapon, it feels like an after thought. 

MO has quite a bit of bad code left in it that leads to those issues.   But in early beta, Block B, it was FAR better.    The combat was felt realistic, at least as good as it could get in a game.   It was much closer to Mount & Blade which is by far one of the best sword based twitch fighting games on the market.

So much crap, so little quality.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

I had the exact opposite reaction comparing the two games.

It was the combat that really turned me off from MO, however it was a combination of many mechanics i didnt enjoy as well.

Aside from the horrible MO combat, the need to roll alts was a major turn off, as was lack of ability to communicate in game, and the PVE side of combat was very dry, boring, and not very rewarding.  All of which darkfall did far better.

The combat of DF was so much more enjoyable, as was the non pvp side of the game, farming mobs was rewarding and entertaining. Also, i never needed to roll multiple alts to accomplish multiple things...in fact if it wasnt for MO i never would have realized how much i hated rolling alts in a sandbox.

TBH the only thing MO did that wasnt shoddy or terribly implimented was one starter area which was beautiful to look at.  Other than that mechanically in terms of systems in game and combat, MO was a major failure. I dont think i would even get into MO if they fixed al the glitches bugs and stability issues.  I cant stand the thought that if i want to do some resourcing or crafting i need to log out and then log in on my crafter...its so restricting in gameplay for a sandbox.