Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Look slike mmohut has the idea...

i have to say i agree more with what they selected for there top mmo's of 2012...where as everythign on this site is run by GW2...hell they mind as well turn this site into a GW2 offical forums. Here is a link to there top of 2012....much better, no way GW2 shoudl have won game of the year since NOTHING about it was innovative and new....its like taking a old 69 musclecar and putting in modern fuel injection...its been done! Nothing innovative about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=H0FJLkUlUjs

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I dont want to watch that whole video lol

is there a TL ; DW?

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by tank017
    I dont want to watch that whole video lol is there a TL ; DW?

In the info section.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Nitth

is there a TL ; DW?

In the info section.

oic

thanks for that

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

is there a TL ; DW?

Spoiler: Smite from both

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166

not to mention that on the anticipating for 2013 are alot of games i never heard of! looks liek it actually might be a year for mmos in 2013...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3QXyPBVNmY0

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    2013 has to be better than 2012 was for MMOs.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

A game doesn't have to be innovative to be good. 

I have a theory about innovative games. The second a truly innovative game comes along and tries to change the MMO paradigm, the same people who are constantly rambling on about "innovation" will be the same people who moan about it being too different. These game companies could deliver an amazing experience and some of the vets on this forum would find a way to hate it. It's pretty exasperating to read some of the posts here.

Grossly exaggerated... sorta, examples. 

"Yea, that game looks good, but it's Asian."

"Game is B2P. Played for 600 hours. Should have unlimited completely dyniamic content. Hate it." 

"No open world FFA, full loot PVP? Terrible!"

"Lack of endgame content. I played for 10 hours a day and completed all the raids one month in. Please fix." 

"It's a clone of a clone in a clone of a clone. Inception."

"Games are too easy nowadays. I wish games would punish me for mistakes by making a giant fist come out of the monitor and punch me in the dick. That'd be hardcore." 

"The game just launched. It needs every feature from the last decade."

"I'm a hardcore PVP'er that loved DAOC. You haven't said your game will have great DAOC style PVP, but I know it's going to and when it doesn't I'm going to complain a lot."

"I want to have to like... pee and poo in an MMO. I want it to be a virtual world. I want to have to eat and drink. Have a wife and kids etc."

If I were in a position to make one of these games, I wouldn't bother listening to forums either because most of the time nobody knows WTF they want, and even if they got it, they'd complain about it. 

You may as well get used to the trusty ol' musclecar with a few new parts because no company is going to risk huge sums of money catering to the 1% minority who wants MMO's to be innovative and genre changing.

Just wanted to get that off my chest. Despite my bitching, I still do like this forum, and I usually find excellent posts whenever I read it, but some people here will NEVER be happy with an MMORPG even if it's "the one." 

• tkoreapertkoreaper Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by Dantae87

i have to say i agree more with what they selected for there top mmo's of 2012...where as everythign on this site is run by GW2...hell they mind as well turn this site into a GW2 offical forums. Here is a link to there top of 2012....much better, no way GW2 shoudl have won game of the year since NOTHING about it was innovative and new....its like taking a old 69 musclecar and putting in modern fuel injection...its been done! Nothing innovative about it.

"Might as well"

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

I don't get what the OP is trying to prove here... I mean 1st of all, this "top mmo of 2012" isn't really top mmo but top games. 2nd, there is so many differents categories its ridiculous. 3rd, the games that were selected were not voted but chosen by 2 guys, at least it looks like it. Also, appenrently you didn't even listen to the video yourself since GW2 was chosen most innovative title by one of the 2 guys. And yeah game of the year SMITE? You got to be kidding me lol. SMITE is like the worst moba and hi-rez IMO are just a crappy company that doesn't give a s*** about their games.  You're saying GW2 don't deserve to be game of the year because its not innovative and new but yet you link us a video that says SMITE game of the year? Nothing innovative or new about SMITE whatsoever, its a MOBA game with combat that was already done in other games (sort of). They're doing like GW2, using some features/gameplay that already exist and combine them in a new way that wasn't done before.

Sorry but this post is just complete nonsense, just another GW2 bash thread, plain and simple. You could've have something if you didn't mention GW2 and elaborate more and why you think another game deserve game of the year more than GW2.

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

I am sorry but Smite is NOT AN MMO.

LOL IS NOT AN MMO.

All their talk about how planetside 2 has lots of killer downtime is complete garbage, thanks for posting this one OP I now know I will never take mmohut.com seriously ever again.

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    lol they mentioned Dark Blood.....which got shut down....
  • GishgeronGishgeron Member Posts: 1,287

I really don't get how he finds this site to be pro GW at all.  I've seen very little support for ANY game on this site, as far as its players are concerned.  If anything the people here just LOVE to bash anything remotely popular.  The only exception I've seen is EVE, where players here seem to have respect for it even if they HATE its FFA PVP.  So its more of a Pro EVE site by far.

I personally haven't enjoyed an MMO in years.  WoW is the last one I've played, though I'd really like to get into TSW.  They were SUPPOSED to make a console release, and I'd have jumped into that.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Best Character Customization: Raiderz

...okay.

That being said, watching people get all pissed off because of a video game is always funny. It's like GW2 kills a puppy every minute.

• DeadvoltDeadvolt Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by Scalpless

Best Character Customization: Raiderz

...okay.

That being said, watching people get all pissed off because of a video game is always funny. It's like GW2 kills a puppy every minute.

I have to agree their reviews were a bit....across the maps (more towards parts you didn't know existed). Not saying that's a bad thing, but most of those games choices they made I'd have to respectfully disagree.

As much as I liked GW2, it's certainly not the best across the boards, and watching the fanboys get their swords and shields up to defend their game really cracks me up.

Ganking? Me!? That's absurd!! I leave THAT to the lawyers!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

LOL mmohut.

Theres a reason why GW2 has gotten GOTY from most places, because its alctually one of the most innovative games to ever hit the market.

• Full on Dynamic Events used to level, not some minor system put inj place to mix up the ? or ? WoW quest system like in WAR or Rift. 
    • No Trinity, making group dynamics so different and varying its astounding how anyone could even think removing the trinity and spreading the power of the group across the entire makeup instead of the tank & Healers is anything but innovative.
    • Horizontal progression.
    • only the 2nd time in 14+ years of MMO development has 3 way RvR been implemented.
    • Open World freeform exploration.
    • unique and exciting jumping puzzles.
    • Skills tied to weapons
    • The ability to make your class the way you want, whether it be a ranged tanky mage or a Healing heavy armored Greatsword wielding healer/support type.
    • Legendary crafting system which entails months of dedicated activites to satiate the apetite of the most hardcore player.

So many other elements make the game truely innovative but jsut because you hate the game or have an agenda doesnt make your statement any less true.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Yeah mmohut .. selected half of the games that were not even mmorpgs. calls lol an mmorpg. etc. I understand onrpg was there two but... So yeah.

Ill stick with people who understand that mmo = massive and not this is our name..

Also the unobjective admission in that linked video is funy as shit. X game may have been the best w/e ... the best but i didn't like that direction... that doesn't even matter.

Also their outright bias agianst sub model is unsupported.

So yeah if anythign you should rename this post things mmorpg is doing right.

Note - I would like to say GW2 is great and awful , so im not a FB. Most of its system are wonderful , its class/ability system is probably the worst i have seen.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111

JFC so tired of these trashy MOBAs getting lumped in the MMORPG genre. 

Watching the PvP segment of the video made me throw up in my mouth. Smite and LoL are now considered good pvp? Will someone just develop DAOC 2 already and show these kids how its done.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by Enerzeal

I am sorry but Smite is NOT AN MMO.

LOL IS NOT AN MMO.

All their talk about how planetside 2 has lots of killer downtime is complete garbage, thanks for posting this one OP I now know I will never take mmohut.com seriously ever again.

MMohut has always beena  joke.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380

not to mention that on the anticipating for 2013 are alot of games i never heard of! looks liek it actually might be a year for mmos in 2013...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3QXyPBVNmY0

Pretty sure that same quote has been said every year... by alot of people to.. and its turned into dissapointment *cough* SWTOR

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

First issue: You actually went to MMOhut.. Thats like going to the movies and thinking you are going to see the Hobbit. But after you get to that theatre you realize its one of those scummy theatres. You also realize the name of the movie is Slobbit and not Hobbit!

Second issue: You actually trust a you tube video for its insight and not for its entertainment value!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

This site is about who pays the bills, It's about sponsors and marketing.  Just look at the adds around you " Drakensage " and on the bottom we have " World of Tanks ".  these adds have been running for at least weeks if not more.  No one cares about them, infact mmorpg.com even knows that :) 

It's a marketing site and a message board as a bi product to get people to look at the Drakensage add !.....I can't even talk about the one last mmo thats not on the list because its not one of their paid sponsors.

UPDATE :

10 minutes later....." World of Tanks " is now on top. Now we know who is paying more to run their add !

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by delete5230

It's a marketing site and a message board as a bi product to get people to look at the Drakensage add !.....I can't even talk about the one last mmo thats not on the list because its not one of their paid sponsors.

You keep using that term, but I am not sure you understand what it means.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by delete5230

You keep using that term, but I am not sure you understand what it means.

Sorry, but it's the first time I ever used it......And may be it's used out of context but it sounds cool :)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by azzamasin

LOL mmohut.

Theres a reason why GW2 has gotten GOTY from most places, because its alctually one of the most innovative games to ever hit the market.

• Full on Dynamic Events used to level, not some minor system put inj place to mix up the ? or ? WoW quest system like in WAR or Rift. 
    • No Trinity, making group dynamics so different and varying its astounding how anyone could even think removing the trinity and spreading the power of the group across the entire makeup instead of the tank & Healers is anything but innovative.
    • Horizontal progression.
    • only the 2nd time in 14+ years of MMO development has 3 way RvR been implemented.
    • Open World freeform exploration.
    • unique and exciting jumping puzzles.
    • Skills tied to weapons
    • The ability to make your class the way you want, whether it be a ranged tanky mage or a Healing heavy armored Greatsword wielding healer/support type.
    • Legendary crafting system which entails months of dedicated activites to satiate the apetite of the most hardcore player.

So many other elements make the game truely innovative but jsut because you hate the game or have an agenda doesnt make your statement any less true.

Don't want to get into a "GW2 is geat" vs "GW2 sucks" debate, but most of what you have listed there is either untrue or has been done before (ergo not innovative).

Dynamic events have been done before.

No trinity has been done before.

It has ladder level progression.

3 way RvR has been done before.

Open world freedom? You are kidding surely. Eitherway that has been done before (and far better) so it's not innovative.

There are restrictions on items/weapons based on class.

A number of games crafting systems have "hardcore" items to try and make.

It is though different to the recent standard themepark model people are used to of late, hence people have taken somewhat more notice of it. It also does some things very well. Hence GW2 probably does deserve the mmorpg of the year (last year) because it was a decent enough game which felt different to WoW in some ways. That and everything else that came out that year sucked balls.

But lets not go OTT, the game is not "muh freedomz open world" nor is it anywhere near as innovative as some try and suggest.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    RPS picked farcry 3 for their goty with their advent calendar of of games thing

Planetside 2 was their highest placed mmo.

Gw2 and tsw the only other mmos in the list (tsw placing higher than gw2)

Personally I'm not sure on the order, all 3 of them mmos should be in a top 10 or top 20 but no way is any mmo goty. Not In a year with the likes of hotline Miami, dishonoured and farcry 3.

Having said that - smite - lol wut?