Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

1235»

Comments

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by erikk3189
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Not sure why there is so much fuss about SGR. It's going to be absolutely optional.

It's going to be one option in converation warning you that it's a flirt option, nobody is going to be surprised. If you are against it don't choose it, if you want to check it... go ahead.

Like everything in life it's going to be your decision if you want to participate in it or not. So nobody's feelings or beliefs should be hurt or offended here.

This isn't the point.

It's about the games players not wanting the devs to spend time on something so meaningless when there are so many other aspects of the game that need fixing.

Then the small minority who want this over everything else being there's no real benefit, most likely do just because they want to impose their will on the game.

Oh come one , world PVP is only put on the back burner for another year , making it at least two total since launch.

Are you implying putting all resources on something like a Galactic War should trump spending time on same sex romance options in a Star Wars game ?

Crazy.

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by Krashner

You're not talking about hating racism, you're talking about hating the person because they are racist. There's a big difference there, I hate racism, but I don't hate racists, I just disagree with them. Hate is hate, no matter how you color it, being intolerent of someone because they have a different set of beliefs than you is wrong.

So theoretically, hating racism is no better or worse than hating Hitler? I don't think I can agree with that. 

Lol... nevermind. Don't answer that. I didn't mean to get embroiled in this pointless political debate on an MMORPG forum. 

I really don't care if Bioware adds this or not. I don't like romance options in video games when it's nothing more than a few short dialogue options that have virtually no effect on the gameworld. Like I said, I'd rather see them make an MMORPG feature like player marriage that could tie in with legacy etc. As it stands, I just don't think any of the romance options, gay or straight, adds much to the game. 

Hate Hitler because he attempted to commit genocide and started a war that cost millions of lives, not because he was a racist. America's founding fathers were slave owners, should we hate them because they were racist? A person should be judged based on their actions, not on their beliefs, technically they shouldn't be judged at all, but it's part of being human. 

I do agree that this was wasted effort on Bioware's fault, the game needs more actual content and I like the idea of player marriage tieing in with legacy. As it stands, the legacy system is horrible, if I want my character to have a last name I have to make it my legacy name, but if I have an alt that I also want to have a last name, then too bad. He either gets the first guy's last name or not at all.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Not sure why there is so much fuss about SGR. It's going to be absolutely optional.

It's going to be one option in converation warning you that it's a flirt option, nobody is going to be surprised. If you are against it don't choose it, if you want to check it... go ahead.

Like everything in life it's going to be your decision if you want to participate in it or not. So nobody's feelings or beliefs should be hurt or offended here.

This isn't the point.

It's about the games players not wanting the devs to spend time on something so meaningless when there are so many other aspects of the game that need fixing.

Then the small minority who want this over everything else being there's no real benefit, most likely do just because they want to impose their will on the game.

Well, couple of dialogues here and there... I would not call that immense waste of time LOL. And based on number of posts on SWTOR forums demanding that option /shrug... well and don't we all know that the most vocal minority gets usually what they want? Isn't it true to every game?

I am also pretty sure that different teams create dialogs et. and different fixing bugs so I do not see here any issues.

Obviously based on Hickman's blog  they have already set a plan for entire year, based on resouces they have etc. I don't think that anything less then miracle will change this plan. I don't care much about SGR, but I am not going to complain about it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

This isn't the point.

Oh come one , world PVP is only put on the back burner for another year , making it at least two total since launch.

Are you implying putting all resources on something like a Galactic War should trump spending time on same sex romance options in a Star Wars game ?

Crazy.

Are you implying that giving a few NPC's more dialogue options is the same thing as rebuilding a game feature from the ground up? 

Crazy.

There is world PVP FYI. Go out in the world, and kill some people. Then kill some more. You can even organize these events with the community. It happened the other day on Tatooine. I went right up to this guy and killed him. Voila! World PVP. 

Look, I know that there are more pressing issues at hand, but adding a few lines of dialogue isn't going to push back a major game feature for a year, if at all. I'd rather they didn't put some lights on an already exisiting speeder and try to sell it to me for $20 for Life Day, but I know that it's ultimately not going to push back the release of Makeb or anything. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654

How do you guys feel about GLAAD getting involved a second time with EA to force them to include these features?

Have you been waiting on any features this year?

Who would you write to in order to pressure EA to get it / them implemented?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

This is what happened to the last discussion. A couple of homophobes disrupted a potentially civil thread on progressive game dynamics, and it just became a mess. Look what's happening here: same thing with two very vocal proliferators of hate against gays.

This thread was doomed from page one. it's just a back and forth now with zero constructiveness. The hate mongering, again, ruined a potential positive discussion.

i vote for a thread lock. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Telondariel
    This is what happened to the last discussion. A couple of homophobes disrupted a potentially civil thread on progressive game dynamics, and it just became a mess. Look what's happening here: same thing with two very vocal proliferators of hate against gays. This thread was doomed from page one. it's just a back and forth now with zero constructiveness. The hate mongering, again, ruined a potential positive discussion. i vote for a thread lock.   

Thanks for labeling everyone that is uneasy with this "progressive game mechanic" as a homophobe.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Nitth

This is what happened to the last discussion. A couple of homophobes disrupted a potentially civil thread on progressive game dynamics, and it just became a mess. Look what's happening here: same thing with two very vocal proliferators of hate against gays.

This thread was doomed from page one. it's just a back and forth now with zero constructiveness. The hate mongering, again, ruined a potential positive discussion.

Thanks for labeling everyone that is uneasy with this "progressive game mechanic" as a homophobe.

Hmm, where did you read in my comment the use of the word "everyone"?  Oh, that's right. Nowhere. 

You did, however, contribute to the negative antagonisism.  image

I consider the inclusion of sexual equality here to be a "progressive game mechanic", inasmuch as women and people of color have over the years seen equality. It's distressing that there is still so much hate surrounding same sex relationships.

Originally posted by Telondariel This is what happened to the last discussion. A couple of homophobes disrupted a potentially civil thread on progressive game dynamics, and it just became a mess. Look what's happening here: same thing with two very vocal proliferators of hate against gays.     This thread was doomed from page one. it's just a back and forth now with zero constructiveness. The hate mongering, again, ruined a potential positive discussion.   i vote for a thread lock.     
    Hmm, where did you read in my comment the use of the word "everyone"?  Oh, that's right. Nowhere. 

You did, however, contribute to the negative antagonisism.  

My comment was not negative in nature it was pro equality. But equality has to work both ways.

Labeling people on both sides is a sure way to generate hate.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

I have absolutely no problem with Gay Lesbian Relationships or anything in the order. So long as they arent making simply because they need to add it for social reasons. First of all as people have seen i feel the character writing in SWTOR is horrid. and i have a feeling that when they write it, its gonna be a " HEY LOOK IM GAY PERSON DOING GAY THINGS" type writing.

Ill take TSW as a example of the oppostate. the 2 oxford people you meet in egypt are gay, is it screamed to the heavens, No. Is it overly obvious, no. It is something you may catch if you look at the characters. after afew missions with they you may suspect. but they dont jump out and scream it. This is the difference in writing.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I'm all for them adding this.  It's optional and NO DIFFERENT THEN when your male/female meets someone of the opposite sex ingame and the 'flirt' option pops up.  You choose to ignore it (or clicked it) then, why are you making it such a huge deal now?

Because people like to complain just to complain.

Now, while I agree I'd like more content/bug fixes/pvp/etc, The five...lines of dialogue from the new characters and five more lines from each voice talent per class isn't some HUGE investment.  I think that's another reason why it's not "personal story"  So it's not throughout your rise in level (Ie a huge new investment into lines as you would level up).

I can't see the small cost of this having some HUGE interferance with everything else. Especially since I'm sure bug problems are a different department then this.  As I bet the PvP area is too.

Granted, I'd rather see Pazaak, Saabac, Speeder racing, gambling, and other such fun mini games.  Stuff that changes everytime you do it, and keeps players at 50 doing something (IE subbed!)

• LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114

If they put it in, it should only go on the Republic side.

I think the Empire would quickly stamp out any homosexuality in their ranks.

Originally posted by Telondariel This is what happened to the last discussion. A couple of homophobes disrupted a potentially civil thread on progressive game dynamics, and it just became a mess. Look what's happening here: same thing with two very vocal proliferators of hate against gays.     This thread was doomed from page one. it's just a back and forth now with zero constructiveness. The hate mongering, again, ruined a potential positive discussion.   i vote for a thread lock.     

You did, however, contribute to the negative antagonisism.  

My comment was not negative in nature it was pro equality. But equality has to work both ways.

Labeling people on both sides is a sure way to generate hate.

Firstly, don't even try to backtrack and say your comment to me wasn't negative or about pro equality.  It was instigative, and based on poor comprehension of a very comprehensive statement.

Secondly, there are two blatant homophobes posting in this thread. That's not "labeling", that's calling a duck a duck. If you are going to spread hate across 6 pages of a thread, you need to be called out. 

Again, this thread has failed and I still call for it to be locked.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I thought this idea was scrapped?

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Or were people just all straight a long time ago in a galaxy far away?

Where in Star Wars did this happen?

I am sure some players got together in SWG, but SOE never made the game have it

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

Post #61 has a link, as an example of same-sex in the Star Wars universe.

Heres the link:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Goran_Beviin#Settled_down

Though Beviin's husband, Medrit, had been mentioned in previous stories, it is not until Sacrifice, by Karen Traviss, that he first appears as a character, and readers learn that he is a male Human. This establishes the couple as one of the first openly homosexual couples in Star Wars literature.

[Bevlin and Medrit are married, and both guys]

In any event, I'd say that SGRA should be restricted to companions, for the sake of story.

Some posters say that SGRA should not be implemented at all because other stuff should come first.  Content in SWTOR is so slow that every fan is going to take issue with whatever gets released.  If EA would actually release stuff back to back (FAST), every 6 weeks as they originally pledged, I don't think SGRA would be much of an issue, as there would be plenty of other stuff to do.

As it is, content is VERY .. verrrryyyyyyyyy  .. sssssssllllllllllllllloooooooooooooowwwwwwwww....   <so slow I can talk backwards>  So much for content every 6 weeks, eh? (oh wait Life Day items on the Cartel Market counted as content right?) :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

I consider the inclusion of sexual equality here to be a "progressive game mechanic", inasmuch as women and people of color have over the years seen equality. It's distressing that there is still so much hate surrounding same sex relationships.

I'm not gona talk about this in a political context any further but for game metrics i think its reasonable that people allowed be divided on this and not be subjected to various names or labels.

Hmm, where did you read in my comment the use of the word "everyone"?  Oh, that's right. Nowhere.      You did, however, contribute to the negative antagonisism.  
      My comment was not negative in nature it was pro equality. But equality has to work both ways. Labeling people on both sides is a sure way to generate hate.
    Firstly, don't even try to backtrack and say your comment to me wasn't negative or about pro equality.  It was instigative, and based on poor comprehension of a very comprehensive statement.

Secondly, there are two blatant homophobes posting in this thread. That's not "labeling", that's calling a duck a duck. If you are going to spread hate across 6 pages of a thread, you need to be called out. 

Im not back pedaling. read the RoC don't insult by name calling.

Doesn't matter weather you believe it to be true or not. its un warranted.

Should not both parties be able to express their views?

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

The real problem is EA is wasting time and effort to add something that a very loud minority of players that probably aren't even playing anymore wanted.  I'd rather have a day/night cycle and weather than something that has no bearing at all to ame mechanics.  This subject was run into the ground before launch and just like here, if you don't want it, you are a hater or homophobe.  The left is oh so tolerant as long as you agree with them.  Stop being a hypocrit and accept there are other opinions and believes than yours!

And FYI, I'm a realist that just happens to think that there are more important things to FIX before they add this.  More endgame content would be nice or make the worlds more "alive" to name a couple.

One thing I do agree with you on is this thread should be locked.

Hmm, where did you read in my comment the use of the word "everyone"?  Oh, that's right. Nowhere.      You did, however, contribute to the negative antagonisism.  
      My comment was not negative in nature it was pro equality. But equality has to work both ways. Labeling people on both sides is a sure way to generate hate.

Im not back pedaling. read the RoC don't insult by name calling.

Doesn't matter weather you believe it to be true or not. its un warranted.

Should not both parties be able to express their views?

Apparently expression by the parties I was referring to is not fine. If you'll page back, you'll notice a series of deletions. 

An expression based on hate is not ok.  

**for clarity, there is a clear disparity between people disliking dev time going here rather than spending time on other more pertinent game issues, and the other people I am directly focusing on in this thread. I don't care about game issues, or priorities.i am bothered by a minority of people here who have an anti-gay agenda.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I'm all for it. 

Are there other things needed? Yes, but they've added a few Operations and Flashpoints since release for those players interested. I'm all for more character interaction and feel like it's one of SWTOR's biggest selling points as it is is most Bioware games, even though I won't be using this line particularly. 

And it's pretty small scale, like OP mentioned - only a few NPC's. I'd feel if more time was invested to put a few on each planet or something would be too much of a hassle.

]Originally posted by TelondarielApparently expression by the parties I was referring to is not fine. If you'll page back, you'll notice a series of deletions.
    That were deleted by the OP or by his request...

"hate" is a very strong word. I read those deleted comments none of those were strong enough to call hate.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Latronus

The real problem is EA is wasting time and effort to add something that a very loud minority of players that probably aren't even playing anymore wanted.  I'd rather have a day/night cycle and weather than something that has no bearing at all to ame mechanics.  This subject was run into the ground before launch and just like here, if you don't want it, you are a hater or homophobe.  The left is oh so tolerant as long as you agree with them.  Stop being a hypocrit and accept there are other opinions and believes than yours!

And FYI, I'm a realist that just happens to think that there are more important things to FIX before they add this.  More endgame content would be nice or make the worlds more "alive" to name a couple.

One thing I do agree with you on is this thread should be locked.

It should be locked(?) .. because it discusses details of SWTOR features that WILL be added?  Getting the thread locked will not make the topic suddenly go away.

You did say you were a realist, right?

Who exactly is this very loud minority?  Do you have poll results?

I think the minority is bigger than you realize, even though you are a realist.  SGRA has little to do with real life sexuality (although it can be integrated, sure), but more to do with how a player wishes to interact with the game.  Some straight guys play girls, and want to romance girls.  Some straight girls play guys to romance guys.  Some cross.

I think your very loud minority is a tad bigger than you thought.

In any event, the original thread includes LINKS to actual quotes.  SGRA isn't going away, although it could have been handled differently, such as with companions.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

]Originally posted by TelondarielApparently expression by the parties I was referring to is not fine. If you'll page back, you'll notice a series of deletions.
    That were deleted by the OP or by his request...

"hate" is a very strong word. I read those deleted comments none of those were strong enough to call hate.

I think I'm about done with wasting time on you. The mods here obviously thought the threads by that individual needed to be removed. I happen to agree. 

This discussion has been closed.