Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it deep, or just confusing?

Comments

• Sicc1Sicc1 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    I typically don't play free to play games or Asian themed games at all, usually not my style. After reading about it a but because of all the threads I decided to give it a try.

The game is very confusing and deep. I've played about a week and i'm still trying to decide it its the game i'm in love with or if its the fact that I can't stand not knowing how to play it. I really feel like thus us my first time paying an mmo its that different. But none the less I find myself reading about it when i'm not playing and just waiting to get home from work and my kids to go to bed so I can play.

Darkfall - Sick
    Earthrise - Sick

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    I like a lot of the features and enjoy the life skills/crafting. What i don't like though and one of the reasons why i won't play is that when you join a school for me it was the royal guard you have to use skills associated with that school or you steal from other schools. Well my problem was that i really don't like any of the weapons in the game i understand its wuxia lore and more martial arts than say a more military style of fighting but man it just annoys me to no end. I can't stand that even though i'm carrying a sword when i push the skill tab for royal guard he whips out this chain whip and spins it around in an aoe im' like O.o. Just don't care for it i guess. Great features great setting just don't like the characters i guess.

I joined teh guards too and had to reroll because I thought the claws were a hand to hand weapon. Rolled a fists only shaolin and  having a blast. <maybe if you tell us what kind of wepon/style you prefer someone can point out a more suitable school

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Originally posted by muthax
    Originally posted by Mavolence
    I like a lot of the features and enjoy the life skills/crafting. What i don't like though and one of the reasons why i won't play is that when you join a school for me it was the royal guard you have to use skills associated with that school or you steal from other schools. Well my problem was that i really don't like any of the weapons in the game i understand its wuxia lore and more martial arts than say a more military style of fighting but man it just annoys me to no end. I can't stand that even though i'm carrying a sword when i push the skill tab for royal guard he whips out this chain whip and spins it around in an aoe im' like O.o. Just don't care for it i guess. Great features great setting just don't like the characters i guess.

I joined teh guards too and had to reroll because I thought the claws were a hand to hand weapon. Rolled a fists only shaolin and  having a blast.

I really was interested in playing a pike/halberd style character weilding any kind of polearm but i found out the only thing close is staffs. I don't wnat to do hand to hand and i don't wnat wushu style swords or really any of the weapons i've seen so far. I think its just the wuxia style that turns me off. I don't even like any of the jet li or crouching tiger hidden dragon style movies either. I was a huge fan of the romance of the three kingdom novels though and played alot of those games since NES days. Then again it was more military style and not the whole solo martial arts hero that can fly. Wish the features in this game could be put with different characters i suppose.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

I find the UI confusing.

Seriously this is the first game where the UI and absolute lack of intuitive control are almost killing the fun of an otherwise great game.

I hope they trash the UI and start from scratch

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• legendsololegendsolo Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Originally posted by legendsolo

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

I think you work towards the 'achievements' that they have built in teh game, the ones that give you titles and gear.

Aside from that, you gather either to be a trader or to craft. And mostly craft to make money.

A title above your head that's it, nothing more.There realy isnt anything to work towards as a non combat player.

Originally posted by FromHell

I find the UI confusing.

Seriously this is the first game where the UI and absolute lack of intuitive control are almost killing the fun of an otherwise great game.

I hope they trash the UI and start from scratch

Unlikely, gaem has been out quite a while in China as it is. Having said that, the UI in teh RU beta works a bit better than the NA one, seems betetr at least. We can hope one publisher works on it but I wouldn't hold out on it.

Having said that, you can fine tune a bit the controlls and interface, to a limit

A title above your head that's it, nothing more.There realy isnt anything to work towards as a non combat player.

Well I don't know what the rewards are for higher achievements and as I said you main goal will be the economy. As in EVE after all, no?

• theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51

Regarding some of the topics in this thread.

Wuxia style combat:
    Complaining about the wuxia style combat in a wuxia style game, to me that's like playing EVE and complaining it has space combat. If you hate brussel sprouts, don't eat them! :P

On having been ganked early on in game:
    I made a new character to try out a different school, was ganked as well within the first few hours.  I don't see what the big deal is though.  You die, you respawn and go back to what you were doing. Who cares if there's a debuff, you're in midst of a tutorial, you're not about to take on Jet Li. Though I have to admit, I got a chuckle out of seeing a bounty put up on the same pk'er  a few minutes later and a followed arrest. And while having my morning coffee the next day, the poor schmuck was on the forums crying over still being stuck in jail, awaiting his execution. :P

Advancement of crafting and gathering skill:
    It's not just a pretty title above your head as stated, but actually an increase in your success rate when it comes to the gathering professions, and an increase in being able to craft/produce better items as you advance in skill.

Complexity and/or confusion of all the game features:
    I think at this point all of us in beta are still learning new things on a day to day basis, which I find refreshing in comparison to the watered down systems in so many of today's games.  The majority of the people I have come across in game are extremely helpful and very social. My advice to new players, glance over some of the guides here and over at the AOW forums, join a guild if you wish, check your school chat tab for info and to ask questions.

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576

What bothers me  the most is the lack of progression in gathering skills, there isnt something to work towards.

Been farming the highest crops and mining gold/lead from day one, in EvE as a miner you had to work for your ship and mining skills, you had a goal. im missing the joy of achieving  a goal.

As my time is limited (1hour a day) i havent crafted that much,but im feeling it will be the same. Buy the recipe and materials from a player and use it. To be honest im not seeing the joy in this.

As i havent played that much and my time is limited by the restrictions, im hopping im wrong.

I think you work towards the 'achievements' that they have built in teh game, the ones that give you titles and gear.

Aside from that, you gather either to be a trader or to craft. And mostly craft to make money.

Many crafting trees proc higher rewards the better you are skilled (and a bit of luck) There is definately a reason to raise the skill and a real market value for having it higher.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by GrayKodiak

Many crafting trees proc higher rewards the better you are skilled (and a bit of luck) There is definately a reason to raise the skill and a real market value for having it higher.

There are no obsolete formulas or patterens. The more you make the better the item. Materials stay relevant as well.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Deep... maybe?  The combination of poor tutorials, horrible translation, and massive amounts of fedex quest missions make this a nightmare to get started in.  Seriously spent 3 hours in this game running back and forth and only killed a couple of boars and wolves, and that's following the quests they gave me to do.  I didn't experience any ganking or PvP with my new character though.  Still, I'm not waiting several hours for a game to get good or reading through mountains of information online to make the game playable for me.  If you introduce radically new systems, you really ought to do a good job of explaining them.

Maybe hope (I'm doubtful though) they go through all the dialogue and text in the game and do a massive overhaul of it and add a completely new tutorial that makes sense and spends the appropriate amount of time explaining each new concept in the game and come back and play the game then, but right now I can't recommend it unless you have a lot of time on your hands to figure out everything that is going on in this MMO.

I realize it's a sandbox MMO and you can do whatever you want, but I need to know what is available for me to do and how to at least get started in doing it.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Every day i learn about something new. i've barely even cut my teeth on this game and im enjoying it. im at about 2weeks of gameplay and im just learning how to fight. because you really do need to learn how to fight. Different school fight different ways and if you dont change your style your probubly gonna lose.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

I put this reply in a thread I created however after reading this thread I thought it was better suited for here... sorry for the duplication but here goes!

Ok so I dove in with both feet and purchased the Deluxe (for $20 you can't go wrong). I created my character and went through some game tutorial... 

Everything is fine until I picked a school. I chose Wudang as it seemed like a good fit. However, I am not sure if it is translation, ui, or if I am just a moron but I am very confused here and am hitting a wall.

I am not sure if I totally grasp the progression system... So every few minutes I accumulate cultivation points and if I go to my skills I can use cultivation points on them which takes several hours to advance. I see there are 2 other options Practice Martial arts and Team practice, but not sure where to go for team practice. I see it being spammed in school chat yet noone really reponds. 

This also leaves me confused as to which skills I should focus on being that I am a total newb and am suddenly flooded with choices.

I also hit a wall with my questline. I have to duel some evil tiger herald outside of a stronghold. I formed a team by myself and went to progress the dialogue but the person it is telling me I have to fight is not listed.

Again if anyone can help out or direct me to a guide (maybe specific to Wudang or questlines) I would greatly appreciate it!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Wighty

I put this reply in a thread I created however after reading this thread I thought it was better suited for here... sorry for the duplication but here goes!

Ok so I dove in with both feet and purchased the Deluxe (for $20 you can't go wrong). I created my character and went through some game tutorial... 

Everything is fine until I picked a school. I chose Wudang as it seemed like a good fit. However, I am not sure if it is translation, ui, or if I am just a moron but I am very confused here and am hitting a wall.

I am not sure if I totally grasp the progression system... So every few minutes I accumulate cultivation points and if I go to my skills I can use cultivation points on them which takes several hours to advance. I see there are 2 other options Practice Martial arts and Team practice, but not sure where to go for team practice. I see it being spammed in school chat yet noone really reponds. 

This also leaves me confused as to which skills I should focus on being that I am a total newb and am suddenly flooded with choices.

I also hit a wall with my questline. I have to duel some evil tiger herald outside of a stronghold. I formed a team by myself and went to progress the dialogue but the person it is telling me I have to fight is not listed.

Again if anyone can help out or direct me to a guide (maybe specific to Wudang or questlines) I would greatly appreciate it!

My recommendation is to raise your Wudang internal skill using the internal cultivation until level 15 or so. Team practice for Wudang is usually happening at the big hill just West of the disciple hall or disciple home (I forgot the exact name). Zoom the map all the way in to see some landmarks and things.

Whenever I am playing my internal cultivation is always levelling something unless I'm doing team practice or practice martial arts.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Wighty

I am not sure if I totally grasp the progression system... So every few minutes I accumulate cultivation points and if I go to my skills I can use cultivation points on them which takes several hours to advance. I see there are 2 other options Practice Martial arts and Team practice, but not sure where to go for team practice. I see it being spammed in school chat yet noone really reponds. This also leaves me confused as to which skills I should focus on being that I am a total newb and am suddenly flooded with choices.

It isn't that complicated but horribly described in game.

You gain XP that comes in 5 different ranks, ranks differ in conversion rate - higher rank XP can convert more Cultivation points per XP.

With acquired Cultivation points, you can start training(cultivating) your Skills. There are 3 "paths"(skill sets, usually bound to weapon used) per school along with shared Internal skill(boosts your stats and provide extra effect).

You can open your 2nd school skill set at internal skill lvl 5, 3rd skill set at lvl 10.

Your primary skill to train for now is Internal skill to at least lvl 25, imo. Then you can train your skill set - higher skills cost more energy thus you need to train Internal first.

Chapter 2 quests are not in the game yet and UI is really horrid...can't help much there, sorry.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Been playing it for 2,5 days now (still a total noob), but I'd say the truth is somewhere in the middle, but the game can definitely be called "deep" in a way.

It has a pretty crazy number of features, many that will be confusing because of the lack of tutorial.

For example: having meridians (lines with pressure points where Chi flows through the body) that one can activate and open up gradually to receive boosts (not that it tells you which boosts, you need to check the internet) and gossip from NPC's that can lead you to random events.

As well as the other functions that are talked about a lot, like imprisoning, capturing, etc.

It's definitely confusing as well for a new player like me, especially because the game likes to tell you that you "should go do X", without telling you what X does and where it starts off.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

It's definitely confusing as well for a new player like me, especially because the game likes to tell you that you "should go do X", without telling you what X does and where it starts off.

That does not make it deep, just confusing due horrible UI and description text.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Gdemami

That does not make it deep, just confusing due horrible UI and description text.

You took part of my post and ignored the rest.

I said it's definitely confusing, but probably can be called "deep" as well, due to the huge amounts of features this game has.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by FdzzaiglYou took part of my post and ignored the rest.I said it's definitely confusing, but probably can be called "deep" as well, due to the huge amounts of features this game has.

The "huge" amount of features with horrible UI makes it confusing, not deep...as I pointed out already.

The game is just unusual with settings and character progression system, however it is lacking any depth since it is just ordinary grind for skills/gear and then PVP with raids for end game.

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Gdemami

You took part of my post and ignored the rest.

I said it's definitely confusing, but probably can be called "deep" as well, due to the huge amounts of features this game has.

The "huge" amount of features with horrible UI makes it confusing, not deep...as I pointed out already.

The game is just unusual with settings and character progression system, however it is lacking any depth since it is just ordinary grind for skills/gear and then PVP with raids for end game.

hell yeah, aow depth its laughable, no even close to SWTOR depth....

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Think the depth is there.

This game came out of nowhere for me and I'm really intrigued.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

This is surely someone's idea of a joke.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    Originally posted by Biskop
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

This is surely someone's idea of a joke.

i guess yes, someone being sarcastic without saying that he is sarcastic. how zynical :-)

• RilmanRilman Member CommonPosts: 35
    I refused to play it because of the hour a day rubbish.
  • ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by Rilman
    I refused to play it because of the hour a day rubbish.

Unlimited if you do the Russian open beta (copy the English text files into the directory and join an English guild)

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs