Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    (deleted)
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

As far as holding an opinion about something (even if it doesn't effect the person), that's all well and good. Its a right that should be protected.

The problem comes about when the person seeks to force his opinion on others.

Someone might say, but its the same thing when a person wants to make gay marrage legal or add same sex romance to a game.

It isn't and here is why. No one is trying to force the straight person into a gay marrage or romance.

The straight person IS forcing the gay person into not being able to marry or have a romance.

This is all sort of silly anyway. Most 'gay' romances in the game will be between a guy playing a female character and a female npc.

(deleted)
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by Lydeck

And those people are sorry excuses for human beings, honestly. What happened to tolerance? It's optional content that Little Johnny doesn't have to play.

Futhermore I think it speaks volumes about a person that they'd let their kids play a game where you can torture people, but they're willing to ban the game only when they add optional content that Little Johnny won't access unless he specifically wants to. Those scary "gays", amirite?

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Why can't you tolerate their choices? Why is tolerance always one-sided and always a particular side?

In this case it's painfully simple; a bigot should never be tolerated. They are a poison that should be called out and shut down as soon as they expose themselves.

This should be basic shit in 2013. Catch up.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    I think it's great that famous, very public people come out and talk about their sexuality. It gives other, less fortunate members of the LGBT community pride and hope in being who they are. It's an important social issue and the more it gets talked about the better off we will be. 

Seems to be a good step in being accepted in who you are, is by accepting who they are? Some people can not accept the idea, believe it to be morally wrong or whatever. In fact adding a feature like this might actually be upsetting to people, while I doubt not having same gender stuff in a game would be upsetting at all. I mean if a game had only same gender I would not be offended or feel that someone is attacking my personality. While I could be offended if someone in a game add something that I would find morally wrong.

I'll never accept anyone bigoted towards another human being based on things like sexuality, socio-economic standing, race, gender etc. Your worth as a person should have nothing to do with any of those things, and I find it repulsive that some misguided fool would try and link sexuality, race, gender etc. with the morality of a person. I'm tolerant of other people when we don't see eye-to-eye on things like forgeign relations or domestic policy. I am not tolerant when it comes to homophobia. I lump it in with racism and genderism. It's just another form of discrimination, and nobody should be accepting of that. 

The same exact point was brought up with ME3. You have to go out of your way to be offended by it. If you don't want a gay Shepard, you don't have to have one. If you don't want a gay relationship in SWTOR, you don't have to have one. 

Around the 6:13 mark. 

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/5433-Mass-Effect-3-And-The-Case-For-A-Gay-Shepard

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Cecropia

And those people are sorry excuses for human beings, honestly. What happened to tolerance? It's optional content that Little Johnny doesn't have to play.

Futhermore I think it speaks volumes about a person that they'd let their kids play a game where you can torture people, but they're willing to ban the game only when they add optional content that Little Johnny won't access unless he specifically wants to. Those scary "gays", amirite?

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Why can't you tolerate their choices? Why is tolerance always one-sided and always a particular side?

In this case it's painfully simple; a bigot should never be tolerated. They are a poison that should be called out and shut down as soon as they expose themselves.

"Bigot" here is used in a completely subjective way. It's called confirmation bias.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

How are you not being an intolerent bigot? You say that these people should not be tolerated, that LITERALLY makes you intolerent. You are exactly what you hate, just over a different belief.

(deleted)
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

You honestly sound no better than any of those "bigots".

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Well, this thread is going the way I thought it would.  Good job, fellas.image

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Let me show you how you sound.  Substitute black/mexican/gay/lesbian/christian/muslim/jew/etc for the word bigot.  Guess what you are?

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

A very large portion of this games players do not want the devs wasting time on something like this of little importance to the game and of no value whatsoever to the story line overall and instead they should spend time on things of lots more importance.

A small minority want something that lasts what, a few seconds then fade to black? Over more meaningful things the game has that need attention? Hopefully the devs won't waste time on satisfying some jokers sexual fantasy with an npc, an NPC!

This is what it's come to, the desperate need to romance a games NPC. A non-real non-player character over the real needs of the game. Then these same people are crying over bugs and other things gone wrong in the game cause the devs haven't fixed them.

Unbelievable!

Originally posted by Traugar

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Let me show you how you sound.  Substitute black/mexican/gay/lesbian/christian/muslim/jew/etc for the word bigot.  Guess what you are?

I'm a bigot against bigotry. I'm okay with the hypocrisy in that. I can't stand racism, homophobia, genderism etc. Bigots can't stand blacks/mexicans/gays/lesbians/christians/muslims/jews/etc. 

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

It isn't and here is why. No one is trying to force the straight person into a gay marrage or romance.

The straight person IS forcing the gay person into not being able to marry or have a romance.

I feel the problem is slightly different. The straight person is forced into exposure to the gay marriage. And of course the gay person is forced into exposure to the straight marriage.

hence the scenario simply becomes "group A vs group B".

well in such cases the larger group typically wins.

The right to have an opinion means other people have that same right. Its therefor unavoidable that people will be exposed to opinions that they don't agree with.  That doesn't mean a person has to agree with those other opinions, but it does mean they have to be tolerant of them for their own rights to mean anything.

Forcing someone else to live by your opinion rather than the person's own choices is wrong. 

In other words, its okay to think red shirts are best. Its not okay to force someone who likes green to wear a redshirt, just because red fan guy doesn't want to see someone walking around in a green shirt.

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

I'm a bigot against bigotry. I'm okay with the hypocrisy in that. I can't stand racism, homophobia, genderism etc. Bigots can't stand blacks/mexicans/gays/lesbians/christians/muslims/jews/etc. 

Then you're no better than the people you hate. You're not on the moral high ground here no matter what you think. Intolerence is intolerence, doesn't matter if you hate people who look different than you or people who think different than you, you're just as bad.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Would your signature not speak of intolerance and bigotry?  Really? You think it's OK to insinuate that people that go to church do not think?  What does your signature even have to do with gaming?

Hypocricy at it's finest.

That said.. why does this have to turn into a political argument about sexuality?  This is a freaking gaming forum.  From a gaming perspective I think wasting time creating content where you "romance" NPC pixels is an utter waste considering the many issues the game has.  Take all the stupid romance arcs out of the game and make it a fun game.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Krashner

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Then you're no better than the people you hate. You're not on the moral high ground here no matter what you think. Intolerence is intolerence, doesn't matter if you hate people who look different than you or people who think different than you, you're just as bad.

You really can't see the difference between hating racism or homophobia and hating blacks or gays? In the most literal, myopic, humanless sense there is no difference. 

Originally posted by erikk3189

Why are blacks always used as refrence when talking about gays? This is about gays, not about blacks or any other race. You need to stop using them to defend gays. Let them stand on their own.

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

You really can't see the difference between hating racism or homophobia and hating blacks or gays? In the most literal, myopic, humanless sense there is no difference. 

You're not talking about hating racism, you're talking about hating the person because they are racist. There's a big difference there, I hate racism, but I don't hate racists, I just disagree with them. Hate is hate, no matter how you color it, being intolerent of someone because they have a different set of beliefs than you is wrong.

• ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39

Would having a romantic relationship with a Wookie be Beastiality?

Originally posted by ninjapy

Be very care. Wookie lovers will say you're being "Intolerant."

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by ninjapy

This made me LOL

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Not sure why there is so much fuss about SGR. It's going to be absolutely optional.

It's going to be one option in converation warning you that it's a flirt option, nobody is going to be surprised. If you are against it don't choose it, if you want to check it... go ahead.

Like everything in life it's going to be your decision if you want to participate in it or not. So nobody's feelings or beliefs should be hurt or offended here.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Not sure why there is so much fuss about SGR. It's going to be absolutely optional.

It's going to be one option in converation warning you that it's a flirt option, nobody is going to be surprised. If you are against it don't choose it, if you want to check it... go ahead.

Like everything in life it's going to be your decision if you want to participate in it or not. So nobody's feelings or beliefs should be hurt or offended here.

This isn't the point.

It's about the games players not wanting the devs to spend time on something so meaningless when there are so many other aspects of the game that need fixing.

Then the small minority who want this over everything else being there's no real benefit, most likely do just because they want to impose their will on the game.

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

You're not talking about hating racism, you're talking about hating the person because they are racist. There's a big difference there, I hate racism, but I don't hate racists, I just disagree with them. Hate is hate, no matter how you color it, being intolerent of someone because they have a different set of beliefs than you is wrong.

So theoretically, hating racism is no better or worse than hating Hitler? I don't think I can agree with that. 

Lol... nevermind. Don't answer that. I didn't mean to get embroiled in this pointless political debate on an MMORPG forum. 

I really don't care if Bioware adds this or not. I don't like romance options in video games when it's nothing more than a few short dialogue options that have virtually no effect on the gameworld. Like I said, I'd rather see them make an MMORPG feature like player marriage that could tie in with legacy etc. As it stands, I just don't think any of the romance options, gay or straight, adds much to the game. 

This discussion has been closed.