Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

Comments

• Originally posted by Ginaz

Finally, my lady Inquisitor can get her freak on!image 

Seriously, theres no reason this shouldn't have been available before and I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape with this stuff.  Better late than never I guess.

didnt you know? if the option is there, then they are forced to choose it. they cant help themselves and that scares them image

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    (deleted)
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I thought this idea was scrapped?

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Or were people just all straight a long time ago in a galaxy far away?

Where in Star Wars did this happen?

I am sure some players got together in SWG, but SOE never made the game have it

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

Star Wars has sexual relationships between humans and bothans, I presume that makes you happy.

Humans and Bothans? That's sick, I can not accecpt that. I need to start a Bothan hate group now.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.  

Exactly. You are not alone.

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  

You don't see it because it's the 'norm' but I assure you it's common. It's just not noticable because it doesn't stand out to you. Nonetheless, the ultimate point is, so what? Why does it bother you, and more importantly what does it have to do with npc relationships in an MMO?

What I see has nothing to do with norms.  You can't say what is the norm, or what isn't the norm for someone you have never met.  I have just never cared about nosing into peoples personal lives.  I have more important things to do than wonder what people are doing in their bedrooms.  If I am not in that bedroom then it is none of my business.  I don't have time for anyone that is only one thing.  If your straight fine.  If your gay fine.  Neither one of those things determines the type of person you are.  If someone is so small of a person that they only have one thing to identify them as a person then I really have no use for that person.  I don't think romancable NPC relationships belong in games either.  MMO's are supposed to be about player interaction.  I do have friends who met their spouses in games so I have no issue with that.  I just don't understand why people want to spend time developing a one sided relationship with an NPC.  Especially an NPC that is going to create controversy.  No point to it.  Some parents aren't comfortable with their kids seeing this.  Real fixes where needed in this game, and this is just junk that causes more issues.  

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

there isnt a single reasonable argument that you can make why what is in is already appropriate but same sex wouldnt be.  None.  You could say all relationships are bad, but you just can not say one is bad and the other is not, it just doesnt make any rational sense.

Maybe he is limited by the RoC from expressing his ideas. You wouldn't be taking advantage of that would you?

As I said, there isnt a single rational reason to be against same sex relations in a game but not opposite sex relations.  Whatever his reason is, it can't possibly be rational because no such reason exists.

Again, if he is opposed to relationships in a 'kids game', I would disagree but I would understand why he could think this.  But he doesnt seem to have an issue with whats currently in the game.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.  

Exactly. You are not alone.

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  

You don't see it because it's the 'norm' but I assure you it's common. It's just not noticable because it doesn't stand out to you. Nonetheless, the ultimate point is, so what? Why does it bother you, and more importantly what does it have to do with npc relationships in an MMO?

What I see has nothing to do with norms.  You can't say what is the norm, or what isn't the norm for someone you have never met.  I have just never cared about nosing into peoples personal lives.  I have more important things to do than wonder what people are doing in their bedrooms.  If I am not in that bedroom then it is none of my business.  I don't have time for anyone that is only one thing.  If your straight fine.  If your gay fine.  Neither one of those things determines the type of person you are.  If someone is so small of a person that they only have one thing to identify them as a person then I really have no use for that person.  I don't think romancable NPC relationships belong in games either.  MMO's are supposed to be about player interaction.  I do have friends who met their spouses in games so I have no issue with that.  I just don't understand why people want to spend time developing a one sided relationship with an NPC.  

I agree that npc romances in an MMORPG is stupid. To me its a perfect example of what has gone wrong with the genre. But there is a difference between people who complain only about one type of npc romance.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

there isnt a single reasonable argument that you can make why what is in is already appropriate but same sex wouldnt be.  None.  You could say all relationships are bad, but you just can not say one is bad and the other is not, it just doesnt make any rational sense.

Maybe he is limited by the RoC from expressing his ideas. You wouldn't be taking advantage of that would you?

If you need to break RoC to make your argument I'm not so sure you actually have a valid argument...

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• clunningclunning Member Posts: 25
    IMO it is a waste of time. They need more content, and I don't see how this adds more than a small amount if it. I'm not sure they have there priorities straight at all.
    (deleted)
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Right here, friend.

It also happened in other Star Wars games, which are indeed canon.

I have already seen posts from parents saying they will ban their kids from playing it when this goes through.

And those people are sorry excuses for human beings, honestly. What happened to tolerance? It's optional content that Little Johnny doesn't have to play.

Futhermore I think it speaks volumes about a person that they'd let their kids play a game where you can torture people, but they're willing to ban the game only when they add optional content that Little Johnny won't access unless he specifically wants to. Those scary "gays", amirite?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's not even same sex really. If I'm playing a female character and I want to do the romance option.....I don't want to romance the guy toon. That to me would be weird....well weirder than romancing a character at all :P

Nothing non-pg even happens in the romance options but it does lead to other character quest lines. I didn't do any of those options on my 2 female characters because I didn't want to chat up the guy NPC.

(deleted)
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

If you need to break RoC to make your argument I'm not so sure you actually have a valid argument...

And why should his argument not matter? Maybe it matters to him but can't explain why. You know, some people have various opinions on the subject and for different reasons. I find it hypocritical to preach tolerance all day but never to those that don't share your views. Makes you pretty small, in my opinion.

It's an attitude like yours that has changed my mind from "I don't care" to "stfu snowflake". This topic has been all one-sided and a huge turn-off.

This is actually a major annoyance of mine. I really dislike anyone who tells me I need to be more accepting and tolerent, but insults and belittles people for believing in something different from them. Not aiming that at anyone, just speaking of people in general. You support gay marriage? cool. You don't support it? cool. I have my own opinion and I hate anyone that tries to force theirs on me or tells me that mine is "wrong".

(deleted)
    (deleted)
  • here is what is getting to me. people are acting like this is some thing that must of taken alot of resources and time to add over putting in some new features.  all it is, is a few extra dialogue options that are added to some quest npcs. thats all this really is. do i think romance options are needed at all for either one, no as they are mostly useless(although the results of some in the have yielded some funny dialogues later on or in the case of tropper made for very difficult decision of who to save). now if they had gone through all the companions to do this, then yea i wouldnt be thrilled as that would take quite a bit of time. which is exactly why they said that wont be coming for some time.  so as a start there are a few extra dialogue options with some quest npcs on the new planet that if chosen will lead to a fade to black. im thinking that wasnt all that time comsuming and detracting from other features

Originally posted by Lydeck

I have already seen posts from parents saying they will ban their kids from playing it when this goes through.

And those people are sorry excuses for human beings, honestly. What happened to tolerance? It's optional content that Little Johnny doesn't have to play.

Futhermore I think it speaks volumes about a person that they'd let their kids play a game where you can torture people, but they're willing to ban the game only when they add optional content that Little Johnny won't access unless he specifically wants to. Those scary "gays", amirite?

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Why can't you tolerate their choices? Why is tolerance always one-sided and always a particular side?

I don't see why people can't understand that calling someone an intolerent bigot because they don't like something makes you an intolerent bigot because you are literally being intolerent of them. If someone is actively spreading hate, then more power to you, but if a regular person just says that they don't like gay marriage then that's their right and it doesn't make them wrong.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by clun7
    IMO it is a waste of time. They need more content, and I don't see how this adds more than a small amount if it. I'm not sure they have there priorities straight at all.

This is why the game didn't get any content and make any real progress:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=476215&page=364

If you want something added to SWTOR, you'll have to write to GLAAD.

Is this link a joke? The only thing I see is what appears to be an automated reply from their facebook page. Even the authenticity of that is questionable. So if I contact the NRA about helping my community stock up for the zombie apocolypse, and their reply is similar, then they are taking me seriously?

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by Karteli

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

Your argument is still silly. Disney also owns Marvel, and there are tons of gay super heroes. Just recently they celebrated the marriage of two men on the cover of a comic, actually. As for Star Wars being a family franchise, that's debateable. Star Wars is violent, features death, and in the recent movies even some pretty memorable dismemberment, not to mention the semi-final moments of Anakin. However, even if none of that were true, your 'family' argument would still be irrelevant; gay people have, want, and enoy families too, or did you assume they're all bumping and grinding at a club? Shopping, maybe? Finally, the game was never aimed at children, and while certain Star Wars franchises (i.e., the Legos/Clone series) were aimed at younger audiences, there were plenty of companion novels with more adult content not to mention the KOTOR games which dealt with things far above the heads of youth. In other words, not "family-friendly."

I could go on.

Edit - the above aside, I agree with what some others have said. This seems like oddball content to be working on when they have bigger fish to fry. 

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    I think it's great that famous, very public people come out and talk about their sexuality. It gives other, less fortunate members of the LGBT community pride and hope in being who they are. It's an important social issue and the more it gets talked about the better off we will be. 

Seems to be a good step in being accepted in who you are, is by accepting who they are? Some people can not accept the idea, believe it to be morally wrong or whatever. In fact adding a feature like this might actually be upsetting to people, while I doubt not having same gender stuff in a game would be upsetting at all. I mean if a game had only same gender I would not be offended or feel that someone is attacking my personality. While I could be offended if someone in a game add something that I would find morally wrong.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Kaerigan

And why should his argument not matter? Maybe it matters to him but can't explain why. You know, some people have various opinions on the subject and for different reasons. I find it hypocritical to preach tolerance all day but never to those that don't share your views. Makes you pretty small, in my opinion.

It's an attitude like yours that has changed my mind from "I don't care" to "stfu snowflake". This topic has been all one-sided and a huge turn-off.

I never said his argument doesn't matter. I said it's just probably not valid. As in an argument that makes no sense or is a logical fallacy or something.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    this game is a train wreck; so much time waiting for a bromance

• LydeckLydeck Member Posts: 80
    Originally posted by Lydeck

Tolerance =/= Acceptance

Why can't you tolerate their choices? Why is tolerance always one-sided and always a particular side?

I think you just skipped over what I said when you say my "buzz word".

If someone was truly tolerant, then they wouldn't ban their child from a game because it has that in there. The key point here is that the game will NOT be pushing it down the player's throat, it'll be something they'll have to go out and get on their own.

If you can't see how it's intolerant to draw a line in the sand about something because it merely "exists", then I'm not sure what to tell you. Tolerance is disagreeing with it and simply avoiding it, whereas intollerance is trying to have it removed or not exist entirely.

Reminds me of back in the day when they started segregating schools, and all those parents wanting to rip Little Johnnie out of school because there'd be black kids there. I'm sure they were actually tolerant, but just not accepting, amirite?

(deleted)
  • jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I bought at release and cancelled 1 day later. I occasionally keep an eye out for possible improvements, since I can't return the software to Fry's, but more and more it seems like EA/Bio is putting a gun to my head and saying "Don't you DARE resub!"

I mean, can anyone think of a more completely useless feature to add to a game that already teters on the edge of suck?

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

This discussion has been closed.