Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

Comments

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

I can definitely see how spending time and resources adding Same Sex Romances to a Star Wars mmorpg definitely makes more sense than having world pvp and a galactic war between the Empire and Republic.

I definitely think this is the best example of just exactly where EA/Bioware and the moron known as Hickman stand in cluelessness.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

I think it's good that they're adding them since straight options already exist and it's only fair, but I must say I don't understand why people enjoy these Bioware romance options in the first place? They're painfully cheesy, fade-to-black, crappy generalizations of romance. Not only that, but in SWTOR, the characterization of the companions is so limited that when the time comes it feels like I'm just going to get some sex. I just don't get it. 

Summary of SWTOR romance options:

"Hey, we work good together. I was thinking we should get married."

Or another version:

"Nice shoes. Wanna fuck?" 

Fade-to-black and then you get out of bed and go about your business like nothing happened. 

If they're going to implement romance-y type stuff, then why not build an MMO feature like player marriage with costumes and the whole bit? Maybe you pay a truckload of credits and do something with Legacy. I don't understand why people would do that either, but it'd be a lot better and make more sense in an MMO than reading a trashy, very short romance novel in the form of Bioware cutscenes. 

My 2c. 

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by Traugar
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.  

Exactly. You are not alone.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Slapshot1188 EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).
    Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.  

I also agree of all the things that are broken and needs fixed this was not one of the one. They should be worried about more content, and fixing pvp. As far as another post is yes the official forums did have a thread about this there is 10-13 folks posting they really wanted this. So they are only trying to do this to attract 13 folks.

I wonder how many folks really want this kind of content.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    Originally posted by Cecropia

I thought this idea was scrapped?

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Or were people just all straight a long time ago in a galaxy far away?

Where in Star Wars did this happen?

I am sure some players got together in SWG, but SOE never made the game have it

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

If Star Wars or Disney has ever had this in, then I'll take back what I said.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by NorseGod
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

To those saying it "isn't in Star Wars": 

It is a galaxy far far away. . and a long long time ago. . .even longer with this game than the original trilogy.

There is a species of animal on earth that is born male and then turns hermaphrodidic to create an egg that it then shoots out into the water with sperm to make babies of itself.

Early female eggs (human)  can be turned into sperm in a lab and used to create a baby.  They have space ships and thousands of inhabited planets.  How is there not one organism in that "galaxy" that is far away (but stil presumably in our Universe) that is not similar.  If it can happen on this rock. . it is bound to happen on one of those thousands of rocks with aliens.. . I mean there are Hutts, Jawas (did you ever see a female?). . Sarlacs. . etc.  Jarjar . . 

I could argue that in the films I never saw a female Jawa and asume they were asexual as easily as someone can say because they didn't see same gender relationships in the movies means they didn't exist.

I didn't see anyone use or make reference to a washroom either.  I guess they just wet their pants.  Seriously that argument needs to stop.

It wasn't in the movies because it didn't further the plot etc. and they likely didn't want to go there.  

having said that I could care less if it is included or not.   I would agree that relationships in general should be left out though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Flaming_MMOFlaming_MMO Member Posts: 137

If they add this to the game, I might actually give SWTOR a try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7EG7Nqmp3U

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

I couldn't care less about someones sexual preference.  It is a non-issue, but some people insist on letting themselves be identified by their sexuality instead of simply letting their sexuality be part of who they are.  Take a note from Neil Patrick Harris people.  He's gay, but he doesn't dwell on it constantly.  It's simply part of who he is.  George Takei on the other hand can't hold a conversation without it centering on his sexuality.

I didn't know that a bout Neil Patrick Karris so I guess that helps prove your point. 

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Disney now own Star Wars, and they are a family entertainment franchise, the same as what Star Wars is meant to be.

Star Wars has sexual relationships between humans and bothans, I presume that makes you happy.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

(deleted)
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

I can definitely see how spending time and resources adding Same Sex Romances to a Star Wars mmorpg definitely makes more sense than having world pvp and a galactic war between the Empire and Republic.

I definitely think this is the best example of just exactly where EA/Bioware and the moron known as Hickman stand in cluelessness.

They were strongarmed again.

None of this makes sense. Which leads me to believe that the purpose is to establish a normalcy bias to push an agenda into every aspect of our lives.

You could choose not to flirt with the male NPCs if you were more confident in your normalcy.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183

Interesting point. Now explain why that is an issue for you? Also do you complain about hetero people who constantly go on about their relationships?

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  But yes if all a person can talk about is how many "ho's" they get then yes I complain. 

• MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

Honestly , since they've admitted it will be another year at least before any world PVP , Illum abandoned over a year already , etc , they might as well go this route.

SWTOR's already a joke , so why not put in sparklers , chapless stormtrooper armor , and sell rainbow fireworks in the Cartel shop.

Obviously they can't make an actual Star Wars style game , might as well make it as big of a joke as possible.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

These threads are always so entertaining. And infuriating. At the same time.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

(deleted)
  • Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  

You don't see it because it's the 'norm' but I assure you it's common. It's just not noticable because it doesn't stand out to you. Nonetheless, the ultimate point is, so what? Why does it bother you, and more importantly what does it have to do with npc relationships in an MMO?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by ObiClownobi

Star Wars has sexual relationships between humans and bothans, I presume that makes you happy.

Is that a deleted scene on the Blu Ray? I have not yet seen the blu ray version

Anyway SWTOR needs this like a hole in the head.

Why not they add content that everyone will like, instead of making it a 18, and controversial?

I have already seen posts from parents saying they will ban their kids from playing it when this goes through.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Originally posted by MMOdad72

They were strongarmed again.

None of this makes sense. Which leads me to believe that the purpose is to establish a normalcy bias to push an agenda into every aspect of our lives.

Your rage and hate is the reason this is an issue, not because of some imagined hidden agenda out to get you. Grow up, it's not that serious.

To the topic, I agree, the resources could be better spent elsewhere. This game needs a lot of work and fluff like this can wait. At this point though I think it's simply a matter of "Any press is good press.". I remember reading about this when the game first launched and thought to myself  "It's sad that this is a headline". I think it's gross that the hate attached to this topic is being pimped out for press.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Finally, my lady Inquisitor can get her freak on!image 

Seriously, theres no reason this shouldn't have been available before and I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape with this stuff.  Better late than never I guess.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Didn't Rift do same sex marriages as well? That seemed to have been received just fine.
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Is that a deleted scene on the Blu Ray? I have not yet seen the blu ray version

Anyway SWTOR needs this like a hole in the head.

Why not they add content that everyone will like, instead of making it a 18, and controversial?

I have already seen posts from parents saying they will ban their kids from playing it when this goes through.

Why would it be anymore controversial than the sex and romance options already available?  My BH has gotten in on with a few lady NPCs already.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

there isnt a single reasonable argument that you can make why what is in is already appropriate but same sex wouldnt be.  None.  You could say all relationships are bad, but you just can not say one is bad and the other is not, it just doesnt make any rational sense.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

I don't know any that go on constantly about the fact that they are hetero.  Being open and talking about your relationships is not the same thing as going on about the type of relationship you have.  

I get a sinking feeling everytime something like this comes up. It's sad that it's an issue in the first place. Sometimes I really do hate humans.

I think it's great that famous, very public people come out and talk about their sexuality. It gives other, less fortunate members of the LGBT community pride and hope in being who they are. It's an important social issue and the more it gets talked about the better off we will be. 

Hetero people don't have to advocate for themsleves on the issues of sexuality. There's no social issues so long as you have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex, so naturally people aren't going to be so outspoken about it. 

This discussion has been closed.