Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR adding Same-Gender-Romance to "some" NPC's (Gay, Lesbian romance)

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

It's not entirely new information since the State of the Game #2 announcement (4 days ago from this post), but, I feel it's worthy of mentioning, and discussing.

Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/blog/20130102

Topic #4: Same Gender Romance: Any news on this front would be great…

Answer: First of all, I want to apologize that this is taking so long to get in the game. I realize that we promised SGR to you guys and that many of you believed that this would be with a companion character. Unfortunately, this will take a lot more work than we realized at the time and it (like some other pieces of content we talked about earlier in the year) has been delayed as we focused on the changes required to take the game Free-to-Play. As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of.

Secondly, I want to reveal today that we are adding SGR with some NPCs on Makeb and do intend on pursuing more SGR options in the future. More details to come!

OK, where to begin.  It's great that EA has acknowledged the request for Same Gender Romance Arcs (SGRA) from many gamers.  This topic started WAY before the game released, however, so it's nothing new.  Fans really wanted companions to be romanceable, though, even if gay/lesbian.  Adding those arcs was apparently too hard for EA (in other words it cost too much), so it gets watered down to NPC's, likely shared across both factions (just like the main Hutt story).

If EA adds SGRA NPC's this time, then to be consistent with the SW universe, they would need to continually add them.  Wouldn't it be better for the overall scalability of the game to just keep SGRA available to companions, and limit it there?  EA is running their costs up now - it will only disappoint later when they can't deliver, as players will find that every content update doesn't include SGRA  (ie short fix now, costs more in the long run).

Not according to EA.

The number of romanceable NPC's will be less than the number of companions who could have been romanceable.  I'd expect much less .. maybe 1-4 NPC's total, across all factions and sexes.  Yeah 1 or 2 per sex.

This is very weak.  And those NPC's that are Bi or Gay only exist on Makeb?  Nowhere else?

There are some story holes here.  They don't exist anywhere else?  EA is opening a door here - Makeb is LGBT friendly, but only on this planet, nowhere else is it thought of or allowed ...

edit spelling

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• ObiClownobiObiClownobi Member Posts: 186
    LMAO, but not about the same sex aspect of the romances, but about the thought of all the players lining up in a side street for their turn romancing the few sexually available NPCs in the game.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    In Skyrim, all NPC marriage candidates can be in a same-sex relationship.  (Although, the NPC spouses do little else than stay in your home and cook you an occasional meal.)

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    I support the idea, but in the context of an MMORPG I can hardly think of a dynamic that more shows how the genre has lost its way than romances with NPC's (regardless of their gender) in a game that should be focused on players interacting with each other.
  • SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

I'm just going to jump right in here before things go south...

The last time we had this exact thread it ended with moderation. It's great to discuss these things and even better to do so while we respect everyone's opinions.

so... Rules of Conduct just in case some people need a refresher...

http://www.mmorpg.com/disclaimers.cfm#conduct

Ok, have a great discussion.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I thought this idea was scrapped?

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

Originally posted by superniceguy

This is a very bad move, and the fact this topic leads to discussions going south, speaks volumes as to why this is bad.

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars - not appropriate.

How is it in appropriate because it's star wars? I mean I think it NPC romances are inappropriate in an MMORPG because they water down the genre,  but you're not compaining about npc romances, just the gay ones. Why is that a problem?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars - not appropriate.

It's optional, as in you don't need to flirt with the same sex.

In addition to the logistics of such a move, as I mentioned earlier, a major area of ill-will amongst players is that content is coming along so slowly as it is, so when SGRA hits it a big deal..  Some love it, some don't.  If EA was spamming players with content, then this would be a non-issue.

I think it's good, but that's just me.  I'm concerned of what SGRA means to future content, as to continually providing it .. as well as to story, explaining why it's not permissable in the original game.  Hence why companions would have been a better solution.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Seriosuly I was thinking I may have bought the expansion, but not if this goes in. If this was in a GTA game, or some adult based game, then that is fine, but this is Star Wars / Disney (kids stuff)- not appropriate.

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Or were people just all straight a long time ago in a galaxy far away?

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Originally posted by Paradigm68
    I support the idea, but in the context of an MMORPG I can hardly think of a dynamic that more shows how the genre has lost its way than romances with NPC's (regardless of their gender) in a game that should be focused on players interacting with each other.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner.

People will get caught up in a "cause"... personally I couldn't give a crap about that.  It's just IMHO a silly thing to focus resources on "romancing" pixels to see a few lines of pre-determined dialogue.  I'll happilly sacrifice every heterosexual (or anysexual) storyline in return for them focusing on increeasing player interaction and actually fixing the actual game...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by Cecropia

How is it not appropriate? Are we now shielding our children from the horrors of gays/lesbians? Save the children! Save the children! 

Where in Star Wars did this happen?

I am sure some players got together in SWG, but SOE never made the game have it

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Answer one of my three questions and I'll answer yours.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

My answer is because Star Wars does not have, except soon SWTOR

My answer is because Star Wars does not have, except soon SWTOR

Have you complained about any of the other things in SWTOR that aren't in Star Wars?

Well, some similarities exist between the Star Wars Universe and our universe.

The avatars in Star Wars have a striking resemblance to humans .. they seem to operate under the same laws of physics.  They have emotions similar to humans, including love, friendship, and hate.

It would only follow that they also have differences amongst themselves, just as other lifeforms do, as with life on Earth.

Really? Are you saying that nothing can be in the games that didn't explicitly happen in the official lore? That is a silly reason to be against it.

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

Does any disney stuff have this in any of them? I don't think so, and there is a reason why not

So you're changing your reason for objecting to 'cause it's a disney property' now? Does this mean you're abandoning the 'because it's not in Star Wars' obection? If you're not, I'm still curious if youv'e objected to anything else in SWTOR that isn't in Star Wars, and if you are, what kind of objection is "cause it's Disney"? They already have relationships, what is the problem with the given gender of the people in those relationships?

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    I usually agree with your criticism of the game supernice, but your reasons against sgra is misguided.

Rethink your stance a bit more because you're making yourself looking like a fool.

Disney is throwing me off here, as I'm trying to follow the conversation.

What does Disney have to do with the (original) Star Wars?  [Zero?]

Disney didn't own the brand when it was first mentioned.

*Disclaimer* I slept with a Twilek Woman on Tython in my time as a Jedi Knight in SWTOR, so same sex is small fry to me.

"It's a sandbox, if you are not willing to create a castle then all you have is sand" - jtcgs

• KrashnerKrashner Member Posts: 137
    Originally posted by Karteli

While this is true that Disney had nothing to do with Star Wars when it was made, their word is now law for the franchise. If Disney says that there are no gays in Star Wars then regardless of whether we like it or not it's a fact.

Originally posted by Krashner

While this is true that Disney had nothing to do with Star Wars when it was made, their word is now law for the franchise. If Disney says that there are no gays in Star Wars then regardless of whether we like it or not it's a fact.

Disney have expensive and well qualified Public Relations people, if same sex relationships were promised before they took over, which option will they choose, annoy a few homophobic geeky gamers or offend the cast of high school musical.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188
    EA needs to stop wasting energy on stuff like this until they figure out how to actually fix their game.  Most people didn't leave the game because they couldn't "romance" some NPC pixel (of any gender or sexuality).

Actually this being added is what caused me to finally cancel my sub.  So much stuff that is important that needs to be worked on, and they spend time adding crap like this.   

Originally posted by Krashner

Well, I guess that settles is. SW belongs to Disney, Disney's word is law, and they just announced gay romance in SW, so done. So much for the Disney argument.

This discussion has been closed.