Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best sandbox mmo out right now?

2»

Comments

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149
    It's US release is in closed beta, but you can download and play it now for 10 hours + 1 hour per day without paying a penny.

www.ageofwushu.com
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

I just wish someone would come out with a sci-fi MMORPG sandbox to include...

- Expansive universe with planetary exploration possible as well.

- More asthetic features such as comets, meteor showers, maybe solar storms that wreak havos on your ships navigation systems while in play  or even the ship's manuverability, distant super novas, actual twinkling of distant stars, etc.

- Space stations you can actually dock at and explore (I know EVE has this now, but know little abotu it's extents). I.E. mechanic shops, bars to mingle with other players, trade centers, Security centers for bounty hunters, etc.

- Twitch-based combat instead of EVE's style of point and click.

- Expansive selection of species you can be. Even the ability for players to discover new ones through space and planet exploration that become unlockable to the player.

These are just soem things that woudl be neat to see. I am sure others can add to it. Although I enjoyed EVE for some time (A bit over 2 years off and on)...it just lacked in soem areas...for me anyways. I am aware there are many that have played since it's release and enjoy it as is...different strokes for different folks. But for me, beyond joining a Corporation and going into low sec...it was farmville in space.

That is what the 300 mil that went into SWTOR should have gone to.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

My favorites?

EVE, Ultima, Wakfu, Mabinogi, Runescape. Can play either of those long term and be fine with it.

My favorite was Glitch, but sadly it was shut down :(

And by sandbox, I'm going by the guidelines set by the sandbox thread in these forums. If you dispute one of those take it to that thread don't derail here.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by funcon
    That is not to complicated to get into like Eve. And that is not old as dirt like many sandboxes. I'm looking for a fantasy world with nice graphics.

None.............that's the problem with the MMO Industry right now.

Archeage is the next stop.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu "Most poopular" game on mmorpg today.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149
    I overlooked Age of Wushu for far too long. Give it a solid 10 hours and you will buy it.
  • mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Ive tried pretty much every sandbox MMORPG. EVE Online is the best and most complex game by far. But its not the most fun since its hard to log in and have quick PvP action. The most fun and interesting sandbox for me is Age of Wushu (Age of Wulin). New game which was a huge surprise and sucked me in like no other.

I also played Archeage which many hope to be their dream sandbox MMO. Comparing those two I prefer AoW

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Ultima Online

a yo ho ho

• Raxxo82Raxxo82 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Id say give Mortal Online a go, its now F2P aswell, Small indie company so there is ofcourse quit a few bugs but overall the game offers SO MUCH that the bugs is easy to live with. If you get attached to mounts/pets/gear this game is not for you. Its a sandbox and its great!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

The best sandbox game out right now is Uncharted Waters Online.  Though the original poster doesn't seem to like complicated, and that would rule out UWO.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Xsyon and Darkfall - Unholy Wars? Probably the best 2 newish ones with the best graphics. Darkfall is extremely PvP based and I honestly don't know a whole lot about Xsyon. People around here seem to not like it too much for various reasons.

I wouldnt consider Darkfall a sandbox. more open world Arena themepark.

So it shouldnt be on any top sandbox list honestly.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• gnomechefgnomechef Member Posts: 49
    Dawntide by far, true to sandbox as can be, and in a loveable high fantasy setting, while still innovating where previous games have never gone before.
  • lqw6843128lqw6843128 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    vote for Wurm Online. (I don't like sci-fi setting)
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

Age of Wushu is probably the best/freshest option, but I find that game really awkward to get into. My bet is waiting to see EQnext and Dragon's Prophet.

Wildstar sounds like it mixes themepark and sandbox, and honestly I think a hybrid is the best direction for the genre.

• rrashintoastrrashintoast Member UncommonPosts: 26

UO is and always will be the best sandbox MMORPG.  (not EA servers, Pre-Age of shadows UO)

End of story.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by gnomechef
    Dawntide by far, true to sandbox as can be, and in a loveable high fantasy setting, while still innovating where previous games have never gone before.

I thought the dawntide development was suspended

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Xsyon and Darkfall - Unholy Wars? Probably the best 2 newish ones with the best graphics. Darkfall is extremely PvP based and I honestly don't know a whole lot about Xsyon. People around here seem to not like it too much for various reasons.

I wouldnt consider Darkfall a sandbox. more open world Arena themepark.

So it shouldnt be on any top sandbox list honestly.

Hmm... I disagree strongly.

Persistent player-made housing/cities.

Player made boats.

An open ended skill system.

Seemless world.

Territory control.

Deep crafting system.

Mounted combat.

FFA PvP w/Full Loot (not necessarily sandbox, but I don't know of any themepark that does it).

I don't even like the game very much. And there are likely a few other games with more overall sandbox features to list. But "open world arena themepark?" I don't even know wtf that means. It's heavily steeped in PvP like I said, but there is very, very little of this game that would be considered themepark by almost anyone's definition.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    I'll pass on the PvP sandboxes... It just isn't my thing..  I dont' know of any good PvE sandboxes, but when you find one, let me know..