Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the best sandbox mmo out right now?

funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
That is not to complicated to get into like Eve. And that is not old as dirt like many sandboxes. I'm looking for a fantasy world with nice graphics.

Comments

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    u n me both bud..

• oopsmybadoopsmybad Member UncommonPosts: 5

Lol! I'd like to know too!

I've been wanting this since T2A

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by funcon
    That is not to complicated to get into like Eve. And that is not old as dirt like many sandboxes. I'm looking for a fantasy world with nice graphics.

Would be nice if there were one, but sadly they just don't make as many sandbox games anymore. The past years have all been poorly, WoW clone, themeparks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Xsyon and Darkfall - Unholy Wars? Probably the best 2 newish ones with the best graphics. Darkfall is extremely PvP based and I honestly don't know a whole lot about Xsyon. People around here seem to not like it too much for various reasons.
  • Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    i bought xyson a while back...coudnt get into it...just me though

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Tayah

Would be nice if there were one, but sadly they just don't make as many sandbox games anymore. The past years have all been poorly, WoW clone, themeparks.

Sandboxs games are a lot like cold fusion.

You make me like charity

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

The answer to the thread title is of course EVE. It's not too complicated, there is simply a lot that you can do and might initially appear overwhelming. Hence, sandbox.

For a fantasy sandbox, consider Xsyon, Darkfall, or Age of Wushu.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    I'm waiting on Black Desert, But for now Age of Wushu has my attention and is quite good.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Still eve

Best mmo right now full stop really.
  • AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Definitely EVE. There's really no competition right now. 
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

That's Sci Fi though, not Fantasy. A lot of people, myself included, can't get into the Sci Fi mmorpg's.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• funconfuncon Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I'm waiting on Black Desert, But for now Age of Wushu has my attention and is quite good.

Black Desert looks amazing. When is that coming out?

• oopsmybadoopsmybad Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Tayah

That's Sci Fi though, not Fantasy. A lot of people, myself included, can't get into the Sci Fi mmorpg's.

Exactly... Sci Fi mmorpg's just don't do it for me. Since it looks like there aren't any good sandbox mmorpg's out... Are there any new theme park fantasy mmo's worth checkin out?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    It's not out but I am keeping an eye on Pathfinder Online.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There isn't really a game out that meets your criteria, OP.

Plenty of sandboxes, but they are mostly outdated or under-budgeted.

Eve would be the best currently, at least it uses decent graphics too.

This year and next will (hopefully) see new sandbox / sandboxy titles, such as ArcheAge, The Repopulation, and EverQuest Next.  Maybe Black Desert (as mentioned), but it seems even further off than the rest.

ArcheAge is interesting though.  To faciliate the conversion process from Korean to English, fans did the translation for XLGames, free of charge.  WOW.  That's how hard up real gamers are for a good sandbox adventure.  There is a topic for this in the ArcheAge forums.

ArcheAge is slated for release in Korea soon, then Russia.  But I think all the momentum it's gotten might make for a release this year possible in US/EU.  It's not full sandbox though, like minecraft.  You get themepark stuff to set the mood.  But it has full sandbox when you need it (and at max level).  Honestly a hybrid is more interesting than a full out sandbox, IMO.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

Age of Wushu is pretty close to fantasy if you dont mind the martial arts theme. It's not 100% sandbox, but its got a lot of elements similar to EVE. The biggest thing holding it back are the poor translations, but presumably that will be fixed before launch. You can pay 20 bucks to get the Deluxe Edition which comes with a 60 day sub and free access to the beta. Unfortunately, I think this current round of beta ends in a few days so yeah...

Salem is another very good choice. Not exactly fantasy but not sci fi either. I've been playing it more than any other game lately, to be honest, and I am having a blast. Myself and 3 friends built a small town, but raiders ended up chasing us out so we are now starting over, but with better skills and equipment and we are actually planning out the town and stuff... it's a lot of fun. A lot of players get involved in server politics and what not. Game has perma-death which adds an element of excitment too it. If you like crafting, building, trading, and community look no further than Salem. Though the combat is a bit dull and some people are turned off by the graphics (I personally like them).

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Rayshe

Black Desert looks amazing. When is that coming out?

Here is a blurb from an article here:

http://www.mmoculture.com/2012/09/black-desert-potential-epic-mmo-in-the-making/

Black Desert has only been officially signed to Japan under publisher GameOn (which also signed ArcheAge Japan), with Closed Beta scheduled for early 2013. For a game which only started development around 2010, it is looking mighty impressive already.

Take note that it does not even reference a NA release at all. So probably a good while yet.

• dristanmorddristanmord Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I have been looking for the perfect sandbox for many years. Besides EVE, the obvious choice, you can move up into Ultima Online. The only issue with that is that it is quite dated. Darkfall has its moments, is a little more modern, but is hindered by the overwealming PVP comunity I.M.O.  For a really good compromise which has a little of both styles I recommend Vanguard:SOH.  It is less theme parkish than the main stream.
  • BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Still eve

Best mmo right now full stop really.

This ^^

Sci fi wasn't always my cup of tea either, but there is no more immersive, or sandboxy, MMORPG available right now.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Have to agree with you, and I don't see this changing anytime soon. The game has evolved into a work of art and is actually going to be a part of an exhibit at New York City's Museum of Modern Art. Tough game to top.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• RabbiFangRabbiFang Member Posts: 149
    I'm actually going to go with Age of Wushu. I haven't been this hooked on a game since UO.
  • ZaeluceZaeluce Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Try mortal online   www.mortalonline.com
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Originally posted by Zaeluce
    Try mortal online   www.mortalonline.com

Personally i'd rather have my eyes stabbed with hot pokers while being forced to listen to Justin Beiber...

Age of Wushu I will check out when it hits English Open beta (i know you can change the Russian one to play.. but IMHO if the company wants me to play their game I won't have to do things like that).

I guess Wurm would be a consideration for the OP as well.

Pathfinder is one of those games that "on paper" has everything..  whether they can deliver remains to be seen.  They do at least have a list of people working on this with both RPG (pen and paper) and MMO experience.  So I'm hoping for something a step up from typical inie releases.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

I just wish someone would come out with a sci-fi MMORPG sandbox to include...

- Expansive universe with planetary exploration possible as well.

- More asthetic features such as comets, meteor showers, maybe solar storms that wreak havos on your ships navigation systems while in play  or even the ship's manuverability, distant super novas, actual twinkling of distant stars, etc.

- Space stations you can actually dock at and explore (I know EVE has this now, but know little about it's extents). I.E. mechanic shops, bars to mingle with other players, trade centers, Security centers for bounty hunters, etc.

- Twitch-based combat instead of EVE's style of point and click.

- Expansive selection of species you can be. Even the ability for players to discover new ones through space and planet exploration that become unlockable to the player.

These are just some things that would be neat (Or refreshing rather) to see. I am sure others can add to it. Although I enjoyed EVE for some time (A bit over 2 years off and on)...it just lacked in some areas...for me anyways. I am aware there are many that have played since it's release and enjoy it as is...different strokes for different folks. But for me, beyond joining a Corporation and going into low sec...it was farmville in space.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Age of Wushu. Might be more than just the best sandbox.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"