Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    No surprise that GW2 is leading the polls. So much hype and it turned out to be an average MMO. I was really disappointed by it.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by cura
    Where is TSW? 

Sorry, I forgot it. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• miniviniminivini Member Posts: 9
    Diablo 3.
  • ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

GW2 by far..

Dungeon grinding result empty world, cheating, exploiting, goldsellers(rediculous prices TP) and transfers by guilds everyweek WvWvW ruined.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    D3 and Torchlight 2 are NOT MMOs, don't know why people think they are.  If those two games are MMOs then so are Call of Duty, Halo and Borderlands.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

wait...you make a poll asking about the biggest disappointment, mention TSW has to be one of them and then  leave it OFF the poll?

Funny thing about this, even though TERA and TSW were both really bad/poorly implimented games I cannot vote for either of them as biggest disappointments...because I didnt expect either of them to be good.

Tera was released overseas more than a year before being released in the west, I already knew it was a bad game that could only tout having "dodge" in combat...and TSW was being made by Funcom so my expectations were already really low since they have shown not to be able to release a game in decent condition.

My vote goes to SWTOR, outside of the main story the game is exceedingly weak and Biowares lies about what was going to be in the game at release and shortly after made me expect far more than was given.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

GW2 by a long shot wins biggest disappointment of the year.

playing TSW also since release and loving every minute. 

by the way if you think TSW was a disappointment you could have voted "other"

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by Ryukan
    SWTOR...and I don't care that it was released in 2011; it is actually the biggest disappointment for me in the last 5 years or so.

What he said.

• TrionicusTrionicus Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Dec 22 2011 on SWTOR so technically GW2 takes the cake but, I would say I wasn't very impressed with either... equally. Not that they weren't good games or even average but, it really is time for something new, I mean, I've got Bridges that need to be used, Sandy Bridges and Ivy Bridges that need to be taken advantage of.
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    No surprise that GW2 is leading the polls. So much hype and it turned out to be an average MMO. I was really disappointed by it.

I can only imagine what it would have looked like if TOR hadn't been on the list.  If they had replaced TOR with TSW I think it would have been an even larger gap between #1 and #2.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    WarZ pissed off alot of people.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

This whole year was a giant disappointment.

There was not a single MMO that did not disappoint in some way or another. I like SWTOR - but it was a disappointment. GW2 sounded like the perfect game for a casual like me - until I played it and only lasted until level 25. TSW had some good ideas - but stuff like the combat ruined it for me.

The only games that didn't disappoint this year were single-player games. (And no I'm not burned out, I've returned to SWTOR and enjoying it - it just isn't as good as it should of been)

Edit: It is hard for me to call MoP a disappointment - I played it for about an hour and unsubed, I just can't play WoW anymore. It might be good but I wouldn't know.

• ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

Biggest flop of 2012 would in my eyes be TSW, the concept for the game was exactly what gamers were waiting for but poorly executed. Also D3, the game just swan-dived off the bow of the Gamership.

I actually disagree with this. The game as it is is exactly what the people who play it wanted (except they could have done a slightly better job with the combat system), however the problem is they made it such a niche game so although it has an extremely dedicated fanbase they aren't huge and only certain kinds of people will enjoy it. Although it's a completely different type of game I kinda put it in the same legue as Eve as it aims itself at a very niche crowd which kind of stops it going full mainstream. Tsw was actually a massive success compare to thhe negativity people showed before it was even released.

• RedrumickeyRedrumickey Member Posts: 13
    GW2 for me ~ Dont get me wrong I enjoyed the time I played very much and got 2 lv. 80 but It just got boring and found myself playing around bots more the real player to offen which killed the whole RPG factor . There just noghting wroth doing that you havent done 100 times before. 
  • ereyethirnereyethirn Member Posts: 79
    Its funny because gw2, swtor and tsw (the 3 getting the most people calling them dissapointments) are the 3 which (excluding wow) have the most people playing them. 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Toss up between Tera, PS2 and WarZ

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    As far as im concerned 2012 was the year of disappointments. Diablo 3, Swtor, GW 2 (good game didnt live up to manifesto and fanboy hype), TERA, Mass Effect 3, AC3, Hitman Absolution, and Warz. Some of them are good games just disappointments to their predacessors. 

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• Originally posted by ereyethirn
    Its funny because gw2, swtor and tsw (the 3 getting the most people calling them dissapointments) are the 3 which (excluding wow) have the most people playing them. 

For my part I have had very little expectations from most other MMOs, so those aren't disappointments - I expected not to like them at all.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    how is thewarz not have the most votes? guess ppl liek the game more than GW2...

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by Dantae87
    how is thewarz not have the most votes? guess ppl liek the game more than GW2...

In order to disappoint alot of people you need to be popular in the first place.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I wasn't expecting any of them to be that great in the first place, so i'm not sure it's fair to say they're a "disappointment."

TOR did flop harder than I thought it would though, so I guess i'll go with that.

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88

GW2 was a massive disappointment to me. So disappointing in fact that my guild of 25 people all quit the game and stopped playing (half of them were irl friends).

The game was so average :/ Once you got over the great sites, nice environments and "new" type of combat you saw how shallow it was.

Dungeons became a kite and spank (actually worse than tank and spank) Cluster F of mess because everyone is a DPS to some degree and the only reason to group up with people is to kill things faster, the game felt like a single player game with the option to see other players. End game was nothing but grind one instance over and over and over for no reward and PVP was either Zerg v Zerg v Zerg or and unbalanced inpopular buggy broken sPvP match of the same game type over and over and over again for no reward.

So yea Gw2 gets my vote

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049
    Originally posted by Dantae87

Because not enough people care about Warz would be my guess.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

GW2 by a mile. 

It was suppose to change the way MMOs were played. Its basically the same as everything else, but with with worse combat.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Has to be TOR. Had some expectations, it did alright at the start, but totally went downhill after several patches (they remove features due to bugs, especially pvp, more than they added in).

I have no expectations going into GW2 and PS2, and both seems to have came out rather impressively in terms of its own game (I didn't play the first ones for both so can't reference in terms of sequel) so I think it is definitely not these 2.