Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What the hell is Age of Wushu? (Answers inside)

Sky427Sky427 Member UncommonPosts: 99

So I've been playing this game for about a day or so and I've dropped the 20 bucks on the delux edition of the game.

Allow me to tell you why.

Firstly this is not an ultra pretty game that will demand very much of your graphics card, infact its about in the range of a 2008 MMO which isn't surprising considering it was created 2 years ago in china. (Where it held the #1 spot for MMOs there for 2 years if I may add.)

But why would I play this game over something like GW2 or WoW or anything else really, well its quite simple but also quite complicated at the same time heres a few reasons why I think this game is worth my money and my time

• It doesn't need a whole lot of my time firstly.  
Age of Wushu is comprised of No levels the only things in the game with levels are your skills and to train your skills you do not need to go and kill 500 of this then return to X instead your skills gain levels through three currencies, the first is experience you gain experience through doing tasks in the game like spying on other school, stopping spies, jumping about like a mad man, sending sexy messages to your friends via chat, farming, playing bejeweled (Don't get me started on how hilarious I find this.) 

Then the experience is converted into Cultivation points. 1EXP=1000 Cultivation points. Cultivation being the second currency if you have experience you will eventually have cultivation by doing nothing but simply being logged in.  Pretty easy? Sure is.

The third and final currency which everyone simply doesn't have enough of is Time. That's right time is a currency in the game, as experience takes 100 seconds to be converted into cultivation and cultivation takes X amount of time to be loaded into a skill enough to be leveled up. While cultivating a skill can only be done for free members being a VIP member allows you to cultivate skills while offline(Basically giving you more time or atleast allows you to cultivate without your computer being on.) 

With these being the main currencies allow me to assure you that experience is not very hard to gain at all and the only wall you'll run into will be the fact that you're waiting for your skills to finish.

• Next, all the things to do.
So while you're waiting for you skill to level up, what do you do? Well you have a lot of choices, you can go off and earn more of that yummy experience to ensure you don't run out and so that you're always cultvating experience. Or you can go off and be a farmer, you can go enjoy a lovely guild battle with lots of bloodshed, You can go to an ingame event that might have a special skill book, or you can dick aout with your friends and have hot sexy time with them. You can go kidnap people, arrest said kidnappers, do whatever the fuck you like. None of these things takes away from your experience and skill cultivation and most of these things if not all give experience regardless literally there is nothing you can do in the game that won't in some way or another add to your abilities having fun means youre gaining experience.
  • The art of the game
Chinese girls are cute, chinese girls in kung fu outfits are cuter, chinese water falls are nice too. 
  • What the game acctually offers.
So all of these things I mentioned combined make the game to be truly tailored to someone like me(I am acctually chinese)
and my love for being able to do menial tasks and see huge numbers come from my efforts. I fucking love that. I like seeing huge numbers I like making lots of cash and I like dealing huge damage to people. I am the epitomy of a chinese gold farmer, but I'm a spoiled as fuck chinese kid, so I'm also absurdly lazy(You ever watch that discovery channel thing about parents in china sending their kids to boot camp? Yeah I should be one of them good thing I don't live in china.)

So being as lazy as I am if I don't feel like doing stuff and I just want to sit around and talk to people I can do that and not care because I am always leveling up my skills. 

Perhaps I don't feel like playing the game at all, perhaps I'll go play my favorite moba, or I'll go outside... lol.... or something well that doesn't take away from my progression either. 

And thats why I like the game because I have a real life and having a real life doesn't put me any further behind anyone who acctually doesn't have a life except AoW infact having other games to play can be a plus it keeps you from getting burnt out of the game.

So now there has to be bad things about this game let me talk about those.

• The UI is fucking terrible.
Oh my fucking god. This games UI is so bad it makes my brain hurt, think Perfect world inital release UI, yeah that bad. 

Acctually because of the games terrible UI(And shit for brains translations) I could not figure out what the fuck I was suppose to do to gain a decent amount of experience and money(Which I was totally out of because I misclicked a few things and suddenly I was poor but I had basically no money to begin with)

It took me a while to figure out to do a spy mission I could select other schools to spy on and head to those schools instead of the Beggar school which was located in north china. 

When I calculated how long it would take me to reach the emei school to the beggar school(Was going to be roughly 2-3 hours of walking) I was like "Fuck. No. Thank you sir." And I was seriously going to quit right there. I went through every thing in the town I was in to try and get some wushu money I even became a fucking begger and begged players and npc's to give me money(Theres an acctuall begging system that you can use on players its quite funny.) 

Finally I realized I could select the tangmen school which was about a 5 min walk away and so I went there and got all da monaaaay. 

So yeah tl;dr for that part, UI so bad it gives the game a much steeper learning curve. 

• Shitty graphics.
It came from china why the fuck are you surprised. But theyre not so bad its hard to look at. Like silkroad or something.

The game is quite pretty but its definetly not as polished up as any major MMO that came out in the US in the last... year... or two... or three I suppose. 

• Pay to Win possibilities
So the game definetly has pay to win built right into it.

Its very possible to sink a thousand bucks into this game and suddenly be more powerful than anyone else. 

So it kind of sucks that that possibility lingers in the game but honestly, if you went through all that trouble to steal your moms credit card, or acctually works for that money, then kudos to you sir. Enjoy your momentary burst of power, the rest of us will catch up sooner or later. 

Is it an issue I'm worried about? No not really it seems like even if you spent a ton of money on gaining exp and cultivation points you wouldn't be too far off from other players who have been playing the game without spending absurd amounts of money sure you'll have an edge but no better edge than pure skill. 

• Finally, Cash shop items are all limited.
I'm not going to buy things that will disappear after thirty days. If you think I will you can go fuck yourself Snail. Thank you.

And yeah thats it. 

If you're confused about what you should be doing much like I was I recommend reading the UI very carfully and clicking everything. It helps if your parents first language wasn't english so they already speak in broken engrish so if youre in that boat just imagine you're talking to your insane chinese mother, yeah, try to get that out of your head. 

Comments

• biohackerbiohacker Member UncommonPosts: 29

that was pretty funny descrpition and nicely sums up the premise of the game :)

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292

1st this game require amount of time like 9D

2nd P2W is when You have to pay to get best items, or increase chance for upgrades like some of PW games where You have chance of 0,00001% if You wont pay

• DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    Well that was a good read :) 
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    On Massively they have a (short) article on a new system introduced in the Taiwan version: marriage.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Any game with a terrible GUI is just not worth playing, for me.  Continual, moment to moment, irritation is not something that makes me want to play a game.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    The UI isn't that bad. Horrible, sure. But not Darkfall horrible or anything.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Afterlife

Final Fantasy XIV horrible?

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Didn't play that game, sorry.
  • tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by ste2000
    Originally posted by Afterlife

Final Fantasy XIV horrible?

Oh God no, its still a Pc Ui you can do everything with 1 or 2 clicks, its just cluttered with little icons and shit. FFXIV had a bad console ui ported to Pc , AoWs UI is waaay better then that its just not as great as other Pc centric UIs and a little confusing at first but you get used to it.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Just another Asian style Grinder, No thanks

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355

While playing this game I came to a realisation that I do read the quests and backround info, I thought I didn't but the amount of wtf are they trying to say moments here drove me insane.

I have played about 6-7 hours over 2 days and while it seems it could potentially be good I just can't understand what my character and the NPCs are talking about. Google translate definitely.

The game seems to have alot of choices and paths to take but early combat is terrible, you can stand right next to a mob and they will not aggro. I ended up just doing my spinning aoe move and it all just seems pointless, I mean you do your stuff and NPCs lose HP. Its almost like dancing but that is logival as all the Chinese kungfu films are pretty much dance choreorgaphy.

I'll give it a day or two more but don't think it will work for me.

Originally posted by Elsabolts

Lol actually its as far from a "grinder" as it gets you dont grind at all it wouldnt even make sense to do that in this game....l

Originally posted by Pala

While playing this game I came to a realisation that I do read the quests and backround info, I thought I didn't but the amount of wtf are they trying to say moments here drove me insane.

I have played about 6-7 hours over 2 days and while it seems it could potentially be good I just can't understand what my character and the NPCs are talking about. Google translate definitely.

The game seems to have alot of choices and paths to take but early combat is terrible, you can stand right next to a mob and they will not aggro. I ended up just doing my spinning aoe move and it all just seems pointless, I mean you do your stuff and NPCs lose HP. Its almost like dancing but that is logival as all the Chinese kungfu films are pretty much dance choreorgaphy.

You cant play this Game like WoW or ur standart Themepark thats your problem and yes the translation is still bad but they are working on improving that, the eu version will have a mutch better translation since they are doing it from scratch with a full team.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by tet666

Lol actually its as far from a "grinder" as it gets you dont grind at all it wouldnt even make sense to do that in this game....l

" Ok " let me then remove the word Grinder !  Is this better.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Lol yeah maybe u should just say that u didnt play the game at all and dont have a clue about it, if u are not interested in its game mechanics or dont like the old China theme  just stay away. Its a really unique game there is nothing quiet like it on the market atm, the closest thing imho would maybe be EVE as others have said bevore.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Originally posted by Pala

You cant play this Game like WoW or ur standart Themepark thats your problem and yes the translation is still bad but they are working on improving that, the eu version will have a mutch better translation since they are doing it from scratch with a full team.

I ve never played WOW so not sure what you are talking about, if you mean reading things is like playing WOW than ok. If you were referring to the combat then again I dont know what WOW combat is like but here it feels disconnected somehow, you just mow things down. Essentially like cuttinggrass, no more than that.

• bronzephishybronzephishy Member UncommonPosts: 64
    This game had potential but....the combat is awkward with blocking and delayed actions...UI is horrible...pay to win....this is your typical Asian mmo where when you get to end game all there is left to do is PVP against Asian gamers who sit in pc Cafes all day and power level to just run around and PK and grief players all day....hell all I saw on my server was 40 players in town all spawn camping waiting to duel or PK players with their maxed out characters....not worth it better mmos coming out in 2013 than this crap
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Lol yeah maybe u should just say that u didnt play the game at all and dont have a clue about it, if u are not interested in its game mechanics or dont like the old China theme  just stay away. Its a really unique game there is nothing quiet like it on the market atm, the closest thing imho would maybe be EVE as others have said bevore.

Every time a new game comes out and some one starts to talk positively about it, you have people going out of their way to talk crap about it, most of the times without even knowing what they talk about. It probably makes them feel better about their problems, dunno....

Originally posted by bronzephishy
    This game had potential but....the combat is awkward with blocking and delayed actions...UI is horrible...pay to win....this is your typical Asian mmo where when you get to end game all there is left to do is PVP against Asian gamers who sit in pc Cafes all day and power level to just run around and PK and grief players all day....hell all I saw on my server was 40 players in town all spawn camping waiting to duel or PK players with their maxed out characters....not worth it better mmos coming out in 2013 than this crap

yeah well if you think so thats fine just move on. i dont see whats p2w about this game since almost everything is player generated and you can only buy cosmetic stuff in the item shop, yes you can buy gold to convert it to unbound silver but so what you can do something like that in gw2 ,eve or any other mmo too its more about getting the bots and goldspammers out of the game i didnt see many bots and no goldspam so far you know why? cause their system works. You dont need buy anything from the shop to be competitive trough.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
       Gonna pass on it as well....the subject matter just isnt for me.   Hell I dont even watch kung fu flicks in real life :)   Yall enjoy your game though ...peace ..V

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Not a bad 1 day assesment. Come back and give us a 1 week assesment. I'd love to see how your perception changes. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • park97park97 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    Originally posted by muthax

Every time a new game comes out and some one starts to talk positively about it, you have people going out of their way to talk crap about it, most of the times without even knowing what they talk about. It probably makes them feel better about their problems, dunno....

Exactly, there are always bunch of people come to a new game forum commenting 'Another Aisan grinder', does that really make them look cool? ignorance breeds stupidity, that's who they are.