Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sony is trying to commit suicide for some unknown reason.

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

I have been buying a lot of games from Steam this year, but have only been ones I have played before and I want to play again and again, and try and make a policy of not paying full price for games, and just wait for the Steam sales. RAGE costing £3.24 is well worth it. If I bought that game at launch and resold it, I would lose more than  £3.24. However I have bought only 2 games this year at full price as digital downloads - XCOM and Far Cry 3.

I do however buy LOADS and LOADs of console games at launch for £40 or whatever, but that is because I know I can resell them. I certainly will not be buying games for £40 if I can not resell them, I will do the saem as I do with Steam, wait for them to get to about £5 or less and then buy them.

SSX got released about this time last year, and on the UK Xbox Live Marketplace, it costs £49.99 / about $80, yet on the US marketplace it costs $29.99 / about £19

I certainly not be paying £49.99 for a digital game, no matter what it is.

Blocking 2nd hand games will kill these consoles in the future as retro machines. It is nice to go sift through ebay, and search out games you missed for the SNES, N64 etc. In 10 years time, you will not be able to do this with the PS4 (or whatever they call  it)

It is fine having PC games blocked, as my current PC can still play a lot of old PC games designed for Windows 95/98, but a new console means having more consoles just play the old games, and to get a new console if you do not have the room you sell it, but if 2nd hand games are being blocked then you can not sell, so now once you finish a game and no longer want to play it, and can not sell it, it now gets put in the bin? which makes buying games in the future a complete waste of money.

Panzer Dragoon Saga may cost about £200 to buy, but you can resell it again for about that price, or maybe more.

With the recession still raging on, and game becoming more and more mediocre, blocking 2nd hand games on consoles will kill cosole gaming. If Bioware had not gone to EA and broke up, and still releasing awesome games, I would buy one of their games at launch for £50 even if it could not resell it, but now that the founders have left and they are making mediocre games, I will not, unless maybe there are a tonne of reviews rating it 95-100%

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Here is what you do:

Have a profile that can be downloaded to a flash card type storage device to take with you if you bring your game to a friend's house.  Also have a method that allows you to transfer your rights to another person for a fee (say, 10 bucks).  This way ownership can be transferred and Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo gets a share to give to the game developer.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    They can state that the savings will make it to the consumer all they like. It's nonsense. You will still be charged $60 for a new game. Look at e-readers. I am still paying $8 for a book even though it no longer has to be printed and circulated. Don't fool yourself, this is strictly for the company wallet, it's not for your benefit.
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

If this does indeed happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see people in retailer stores getting fired - even more unemployed people "yay".

>_>

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Here is what you do:

Have a profile that can be downloaded to a flash card type storage device to take with you if you bring your game to a friend's house.  Also have a method that allows you to transfer your rights to another person for a fee (say, 10 bucks).  This way ownership can be transferred and Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo gets a share to give to the game developer.

You may not need have to worry about taking game to a mates house, they may not buy the console in the first place! I will definately be playing demos (if I have a conole) and reading reviews more so, if this gets put through, and I will not preorder a single game. I may not even buy a console at all. Currently I do not bother with reviews and demos, I just preorder the game, and if I do not like it I sell it on. The ability to resell a game takes away the worry of a game being not to your liking

The best thing to do is go RETRO - There are plenty of games released in the last 20 years to enjoy.  There has not been enough time to enjoy a fraction of all that has been released in the last 20 years or so. If this comes to pass I think I will give new and future gaming a break, and work through all the games and consoles I have bought, and buy games I have missed from ebay or wherever.

Shops that sell 2nd hand games will not necessarily be put out of business, they can sell all games and consoles in the past 20 years. That is what Gamestation stores (now defunct) were doing before GAME bought them - mainly selling old games and consoles, but also selling some of the latest games and consoles.

Maybe Sony will unblock 2nd hand games when the console ends its life so people can sell the consoles and its games, but they probably will not say until it does end, as otherwise people would just wait, and consoles lifespans will get shorter and shorter

• fenring101fenring101 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    It wouldnt surprise me if more and more games didnt just use the whole "online access key" you get 1 free when you buy the game new, but when you get it second hand you have to buy a new key to be able to use its online features. Quite a lot of games do it already, just a case of them not making it a rip off.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DarknessReign

READ IT http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57562100-235/game-on-sony-wont-block-used-games-analyst/

Now Relax

Thanks, that was an interesting article.  But what is to stop Microsoft, Nintendo AND Sony from agreeing to use this new technology (or something related) in their new consoles?  It would obviously be in their own best interests, if they all did it.

Only time will tell how this shakes out.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by RedMachine72

Just read this article and was wondering, how many people would still support Sony if it happens?

www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games?utm_source=Targeted%20Blasts&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Breaking+News:+Sony+Discs+Patent_11145_587933_587940&utm_content=6232486

I for one will not as I buy a lot of my games second hand. Hopefully they won't do this as they would lose out completly to Nintendo and Microsoft. Unless Microsoft does the same, then Nintendo would be loving it.

It isn't just Sony, Microsoft has been looking into doing the same thing. They all will be doing this eventually.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    In a way I can see why they do it, but in another way its going to kill their console market, people rent games sometimes as a way to try them out. If they do go thru with this I hope they reduce the price of games as a whole, or else I just can't justify it. People buy used games because its cheaper, thats the only sole reason. Why pay 60-80 bucks for a game you can clear in a few hours? when you can just rent it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• hellsnothellsnot Member UncommonPosts: 49
    This could actually be a good thing if you could opt to buy with or without the coding at different prices I for one do not buy used or sell me games so I would gladly pay less if it meant I wouldnt be able to resell it but if you wanted the ability to sell your game you can pay extra for that ability thus reucing the supply for used games and increasing their values
    Originally posted by DarknessReign

READ IT http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57562100-235/game-on-sony-wont-block-used-games-analyst/

Now Relax

That article is just an analysts opinion.

I am not worried either way, if they do block used games, it will just save me money from not buying all the new games and consoles, and it should only be Sony etc who is worried from doing it, which is why the analyst thinks they will not do it.

Originally posted by Siveria
    In a way I can see why they do it, but in another way its going to kill their console market, people rent games sometimes as a way to try them out. If they do go thru with this I hope they reduce the price of games as a whole, or else I just can't justify it. People buy used games because its cheaper, thats the only sole reason. Why pay 60-80 bucks for a game you can clear in a few hours? when you can just rent it.

Buying used games because it is cheaper is not the only reason. If you are patient new games can end up being cheaper than used games. Quite a number of times games on sale at GAME have been cheaper than their preowened games.

The only time I buy 2nd hand games is if I have waited too long to get them, and they have gone out of print, and no longer available new

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Methos12
    Every used copy that gets into circulation is pretty much one new sale denied AND companies don't see a dime from used game profits. I see their angle on this.

They are not all a sale denied.  There are several games I got deals on used that I would never have paid what they were asking for a new copy.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Even if I owned a console, I wouldn't be worried about this.  Someone will find a way to bypass the copy protection just like every other attempt to create copy protection in the past.  

My other thought is that this is directed more towards movies and music.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

I feel bad for Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo et al.

Apparently they are so bad at what they do, that they are the only industry in the history of mankind that can't handle second-hand sales.

SONY – Never Stop Paying

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Well Sony originates from Japan so perhaps this is some form of video game industry seppuku. It certainly reeks of asshole-ishness.

I only rent my console games or buy them used so this would drive me from Sony to MS as far as consoles go really quick. I'm mainly a PC gamer but I have a PS3 for the occasional console exclusive game and the Blu Ray. But if SOny carries through with this I will be done with them.

Originally posted by Celcius
    Originally posted by Talin

I'm all for protecting against piracy as long as it does not come at a detriment to the consumer experience.

This only shows the technology component, not how the process of managing it will be implemented. That said, I kind of think Sony will screw this up anyhow.

Yeah. I would not be entirely surprised if this only affects certain titles or if it even is being applied to the PS4.

I was actually wondering if they didn't file this patent just to make it so that if anyone else wants to use the tech they have to license it through Sony.

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    I for one fully support any measure that screws Gamestop over.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

I think it is a good idea.  I think car manufacturars should do something similar since there are more used cars sold in a given year than new cars.  I think maybe a retinal scan that locks the car to the individual purchaser would work nicely.  It would also force families with more than one driver to buy more than one car.  Brilliant idea for them, I can't believe nobody thought of this before.  Maybe I should patent it.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

First off.

Hi console gamers and welcome to the PC market, get used to this.

Secondly people are talking about "what if my console breaks" Well who cares they just tie the game ID to your own PSN ID that way only you can play the game and they can even provide you with a backup service that is personall should it be needed. Yes this will hurt the re-sell market but it might actually be a slight up-swing for rentals as you now need to use them to "preview" games. (Rental games simply have a non exclusive key on them that does not lock in to a specific user)

So all in all have a nice day.

This have been a good conversation

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    I understand why they're trying this. I don't agree with it but I understand. I really didn't have a problem with them doing the thing with redeemable codes to experience the online content but if someone buys a disk I don't see where they can tell them not to sell it. If physical disks go away and maybe the price of games come down some to reflect the lack of producing them, shipping them etc. then maybe they have a better shot. 

I'd be really surprised if the price went down just because it's all digital.  PC gamers have been paying the same price for a digital download as a boxed copy for year (at least where newer games are concerned).  The same thing applies with digital movies on most sites like amazon and apple.  They cost the same as a physical copy and 9 times out of 10 you're getting less! At least the physical copy has a blooper reel and some behind the scene footage.  Until we start voting with our wallets, these things will not change.  However the digital download is easy convenient and well, you pay for convience. So I imagine we won't stop buying them. 

I can see how sony's plans are bothering console gamers.  I am not one, but I get it.  All I can say is scream loud enough and actually back it up with your wallet (by not buying it) and they'll get the hint.  Right now they think they can do no wrong because most people will pay whatever is asked so they can play their videogames. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
    Originally posted by Brialyn
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    I understand why they're trying this. I don't agree with it but I understand. I really didn't have a problem with them doing the thing with redeemable codes to experience the online content but if someone buys a disk I don't see where they can tell them not to sell it. If physical disks go away and maybe the price of games come down some to reflect the lack of producing them, shipping them etc. then maybe they have a better shot. 

I'd be really surprised if the price went down just because it's all digital.  PC gamers have been paying the same price for a digital download as a boxed copy for year (at least where newer games are concerned).  The same thing applies with digital movies on most sites like amazon and apple.  They cost the same as a physical copy and 9 times out of 10 you're getting less! At least the physical copy has a blooper reel and some behind the scene footage.  Until we start voting with our wallets, these things will not change.  However the digital download is easy convenient and well, you pay for convience. So I imagine we won't stop buying them. 

I can see how sony's plans are bothering console gamers.  I am not one, but I get it.  All I can say is scream loud enough and actually back it up with your wallet (by not buying it) and they'll get the hint.  Right now they think they can do no wrong because most people will pay whatever is asked so they can play their videogames. 

Especially for new release blu-rays.  Digital download in HD 19.99, physical copy with blu-ray, dvd, and digital copy, usually between 19.99 and 24.99.  Its a bit odd, and the main reason I don't buy digital copies unless they are on some sort of sale.

• DeddpoolDeddpool Member UncommonPosts: 197
    Pc done this forever..why should consoles be any different?  As long as this kills gamestop I'm happy lol

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I love how hypocritical Sony is when at their own stores they sell refurbished products all the time. They take defects back that are under warranty, charge you a small price for a replacement, clean up and repair the old one and ship it to their stores to be resold again. The only time it's a problem is when Sony doesn't get their piece of the pie. I don't hear developers complaining about the practice of used games being resold. Maybe the console makers should offer a better deal if players send them their used games and console makers can resell them at discounted prices. I bet they wouldn't have a problem with it then...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."