Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    How was Storm Legion anyway? I don't see much about it.
  • Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I think the biggest disappointment is how I find I'm getting used to all the crap games being released. Much like I'm getting used to the price of gas being high. 

• TurnipvegiTurnipvegi Member Posts: 3

I voted GW2

My issue was that the game was suppose to be innovative with it combat and taking out the trinity. The result was combat that lacked abilities and revolves around running/rolling in circles and a cluster-F of people massing abilities with no real direction.

The combat could have been better, but there is just a lack of things to do with it. Wonderful you can switch weapons, one problem, you still have next to nothing to use. You are able to change weapons that changes 5 abilities, the problem is that nothing was very interesting and the gameplay from changing weapons was non-existant. The best part about all of this was that cookie cutter builds are still very evident.

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

For me it was definitely Diablo III even though I realized that it would be a bad game prior to release and didn't buy it, I had very high hopes for that game when it was announced. I don't get disappointed by MMO's anymore, I'm just waiting for one to get me excited about the genre again and none of them did this year.

Best games: DotA 2 and Path of Exile.

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67

Not an MMO, but my biggest disappointment, by far, was Diablo 3.

I wasn't dissapointed by GW2 at all. I'm still playing it personally. But I avoided the hype, so I didn't have big expectations. I recently bought TSW, and have been enjoying it, but I haven't played it enough to form a real opinion beyond initial impression.

SWTOR wasn't able to catch my interest at all, MOP wasn't able to get me back into WoW when I got a free trial of it (that ship has sailed for me). I have not played any of those other games.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Poll is not for 2012

Sorry but if you make rules for your votes, please stick to them, otherwise it just looks like you are rallying the hate mobs to get your self some votes.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Scarfe
    TSW, tbh, and this is shallow, character creation killed it for me, dam I was hideous. 

Lol, shallow you say?

Character Creation is, there very few options and everyone ends up looking like they just did a course of Botox.

Character progression is very deep, but creation is very much an excercise in RMT browsing.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Love the list all the worst games of last year beyond a doubt. I got to say gw2 with 42% of the vote and swtor with 39% of the vote. That was 2 of the bigest hyped games and look where we are now.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of wanna-be hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

highlighter a red fix cause a true hardcore gamer is able to play any game hardcore or just chooses to not play those game that do not atract them. Problem with today's so-called hardcore payers is that they enter games they already full well know is more targetted towards casual players.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

While I saw a well crafted world I already knew the game wouldn't be for me. But still see it as a great addition to this genre.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

From what I have seen and read it's still on my list to play...one day..... 

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much singleplayer RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Enjoying the game aswell but still doesn't feel MMORPG like to me, again the reason why I didn't enter at release, but had fun reading the complaints which showed people entered the game blindly, meaning without actually knowing much about the game. Sure the game had/has issue's. But most complaints where mostly complaints about unrealistic expectations then what the game actually offered.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

I don't know, I am not so much bashing current MMORPG but will state my opinion that I feel the genre has much to desire for. There is so much more this genre could deliver as I have experianced in past games. Yet the options became less and less till the point that most MMO's today are merly online combat games with a singleplayer campaing slapped on to create the illusion of it being RPG. While RPG works great for singleplayer RPG's, the RPG in a MMORPG should come from it's players and not from developers/npc's telling you what to do. Just my opinion.

Perhaps my problems lies that I am a gamer that actually play's allot of different genre's, where each genre provides me with a certain game fix. Where entering a MMORPG opened up a totally new experiance which was about the freedom you had. Yet today that freedom is taken away and we all do the same things, we wear the same things, we do the same missions/quests, we are all that HERO, no more uniqueness unless you never want to group play

Overall for me personaly it has been a bad MMORPG year, but I am glad that there are plenty of MMORPG's that do atract allot of people.

My advice towards those who bash games they dislike: Stop the viral marketing because regardless negativity those people continue to put certain games in the spotlight.Silencing a game would do allot more harm if people stop talking about game X sucks. Obviously I am not talking about well made constructive posts, but hey they are very rare these day's.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Complaining about a game doesn't make it go away... not saying anything at all does.  The more you talk about something the more 'branding' that it gets.  Doesn't have to be positive or negative... any publicity is always good publicity because silence is far deadlier than negativity to products.

People remember the name, not so much what is said about it.  Right now, there are people getting each and every one of the games on your list if they didn't already have them.  You've done more to perpetuate the games you dislike than to quash them. Had nothing at all been said, no one would even know about the games in question and they would fade away into obscurity in short order.  Instead, they stay out in the forefront with constant tweets, texts, polls, blogs, you name it.  Every second that it gets exposure is an opportunity for a new sale.  

If you believe that what you post makes a difference in the games that are made, you are right... they make the games people post the most about, good or bad, posts about.  They do not make games that people don't talk about at all.  Funny how that works.  Been that way since the beginning of time. 

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

GW2

I was hoping for a new home, but all I got was a fun weekend at Disney World.

Joined - July 2004

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    I voted GW2 because meh. You mean you changed your exclamation points to hearts? Wow, how innovative... Neat-O, that event sure was dynamic...the FIRST time I did it...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by pmiles

Complaining about a game doesn't make it go away... not saying anything at all does.  The more you talk about something the more 'branding' that it gets.  Doesn't have to be positive or negative... any publicity is always good publicity because silence is far deadlier than negativity to products.

People remember the name, not so much what is said about it.  Right now, there are people getting each and every one of the games on your list if they didn't already have them.  You've done more to perpetuate the games you dislike than to quash them. Had nothing at all been said, no one would even know about the games in question and they would fade away into obscurity in short order.  Instead, they stay out in the forefront with constant tweets, texts, polls, blogs, you name it.  Every second that it gets exposure is an opportunity for a new sale.  

If you believe that what you post makes a difference in the games that are made, you are right... they make the games people post the most about, good or bad, posts about.  They do not make games that people don't talk about at all.  Funny how that works.  Been that way since the beginning of time. 

There can be only one?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

The biggest dissapointment over the last year was the missing game within all these new candy-wonders.

Is it called "Sandbox" when you can play a virtual life in a virtual world ?

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Love the list all the worst games of last year beyond a doubt. I got to say gw2 with 42% of the vote and swtor with 39% of the vote. That was 2 of the bigest hyped games and look where we are now.

Yes because GW2 was such a huge failure....if only they had listened to the people on this site they could of saved it right?

/rolleyes

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Yes because GW2 was such a huge failure....if only they had listened to the people on this site they could of saved it right?

/rolleyes

Lol, I thought the same thing. 

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Kothoses

Poll is not for 2012

Sorry but if you make rules for your votes, please stick to them, otherwise it just looks like you are rallying the hate mobs to get your self some votes.

What are you talking about?

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

deleted

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829
    SWTOR...and I don't care that it was released in 2011; it is actually the biggest disappointment for me in the last 5 years or so.
  • RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Since I only play 1 MMORPG any more, I'm going to say every MMORPG that came out this past year was a big disappointment. Why? Because none of them converted me away from my current game of choice. None of the games was new, exciting, or even promising enough for me to leave my current F2P MMORPG. The biggest disappointment for me was the current MMORPG releasing a new character model (Shield Form for the Champion primary class) that is completely uncustomizable and is the same model as an Enemy model.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by DamonVile

/rolleyes

Lol, I thought the same thing. 

Not a failure but a disappointment.  It promised so much more than it delivered. 

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

my vote went to SWTOR easily.

From level one upto the last part of my story quest I enjoyed it, then I encountered end game. What it did wrong was..

RNG on pvp loot, should of had traditional buy with points.

Ilum was.. BAD, needed more work.

As someone said towns were dead, they felt dead.

Side scrolling space ships were bad, should of really spent more time implementing a real space game.

Loot at end game was all badges to buy from vendors, I like to get those random drops of interesting unique looking gear, everyone looked so similar!

One half broken raid and another fully broken raid.

• Guild Wars 2 and Wrath of the Lich King (I know WotLK wasn't 2012).
  • anthony21690anthony21690 Member UncommonPosts: 119

While I agree with all of your choices (Minus SWTOR it actually struck me as good oddly.) I have to say that The War Z was the final nail in the coffin for 2012's mmos there was just so much wrong with it and I fell for it's charming little idea that maybe it would beat Day Z that MAYBE it could actually achieve a lot...sadly it did achieve a lot....a lot of community hatred and hackers. I hate bad mouthing the game.  Because believe it or not I still play.  Hoping things will get better.  They haven't so far.  So sadly I recommend stayng away from this game.

Another game that deserves just about little to no praise...Guild Wars 2...ugh where to begin with this game...the fact that there were all of 15 skills minus the skills you bought with skill points for each class.  The fact that thief started out tremendously more overpowered than every other class  in the beginning and now it's practical death to touch them..."Dynamic events"?  Guild Wars 2 was a flop, if not a beautifully textured flop.  There were a lot of bugs.  Hell there still are.  And there's a lot wrong with the support staff in the game amongst other things.  But overall...War Z still took the cake :/