Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could Star Wars Galaxies 2 be possible now??

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    Originally posted by tawess

"Stabalisation occurred with the CU, which had been released several months prior.  The NGE was a failed attempt to break the stabilisation, and increase subs."

No the CU and NGE was a desperate move to try and balance the games combat and combat classes. But since they could not have two different systems they had to force the rest of the game in to the same system. Actually in a way you are right, as the number one complain was "this game is not balanced... At all... In any way"  number two was "Stop the arghafrag macro grinding"

That is why nobody is dumb enough to try a skill system like that aga.. oh i am sorry did not see you there TSW... HOw is that PvP balance going..?

The CU was planned pretty much since the game launched, and was delayed when they moved focus to JTL.  It was indeed the attempt to balance the game, as many had been complaining about "god mode'ing" prior. 

That shift in focus is when the decline in subs really started to be noticeable, as at that time the CU was number one of the populations wish list.  When it was released (after JTL), many who had been waiting for it had already left.   The remaining crowd didn't take to it, initially.  After a few patches most of the complaints had been addressed.  The game stabilized, and shortly after started to grow (slowly) in subs.    At that point balance was "acceptable", and not a main concern.

The NGE was nothing more than an attempt to draw in some of the WoW crowd.  Something SOE admitted.  It gutted the game and the population, as it wasn't wanted or needed.   People even requested money back for ToOW, due to the NGE.  Which they got.

The CU introduced a replacement combat system.  The NGE introduced a new game, with sweeping changes/deletions way beyond just a combat system.   Big difference!

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

SWG was still a good game. NGE destroyed a decent game, but a new SWG with better mechanics, graphics, and overall greatness of the first one would do well. Many people loved SWG, it had what many mmo's lack, and lack what many mmo's have. 300-400k subs is actualy a pretty decent number. Its better than 1 million accounts and only 5% of people paying for items.

I honestly do believe a SWG remade in the original form but fixed up would be a success. Even at 300k subs to me would be a success. But this wont happen, can only hope for a sandbox with SWG like features. A few seem decent enough in this area, and look forward to make new memories.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Muke

SWG 2:

SOE must be kept out of it

SOE actualy did a pretty decent job with SWG. The NGE was not SOE's fault it was lucas arts that forced the issue.

I think SOE did some breath taking work and even up to the end was adding new features and trying to make the game better. Honestly i dont think SOE is a bad company at all, they have some great titles.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

Let the SW IP die when it comes to games.

SWG fanatics want it one way, Film Fans want it another way. General Console players want it a 3rd way. People who didn't mind SWTOR are still asking why bother to everyone else.

Let it die, let it rot, let it feed far better MORE ORIGINAL ideas

I'm all for "The Repopulation" being a great success. No need to feed the Fanboi. No need to live up to a storyline expectation. No need to "get the correct feeel" for the universe as it is all new.

To do it right, you'd need an indie developer to do it, one that wasn't going to conform to the mainstreem as a general rule. But you'd have to have the huge money backing, but willing to keep their noses out. So in other Words it is NEVER going to happen properly. So if that is the case simply let it die.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

To be honest I was fairly excited about Copernicus before the rug got pulled out from under that one.

Story by RA Salvatore, art by Todd McFarlane, and Amalur wasn't a bad single player game in and of it's own right.

I'm all for new IP's - I'm mostly tired of MMOs based on semi-successful IP's that can never live up to everyone's expectations - between catering to the existing lore and story, to being hamstrung by engine limitations, that leaves very little room to maneuver as a developer.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Sandbox

Originally posted by Kazara There are both haters and fanbois that post.   The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.
    SWG's population had already peaked and started to drop by the time the NGE came out. The population's decline was the reason they considered the NGE in the first place. It actually stabilized the population for a very short period of time before the population's decline continued again. Reviled or not, the NGE did not kill the game, the game was already on the way out.  
     Yes, at an all time low.

The all time low came several years later. The NGE didn't do much of anything, except get remembered as the worst update to any game, ever. It didn't cause the drop in players though, it was the response to the drop in players. I understand not liking the NGE and not liking having all the rules changed in a game that's been running for years, but blaming NGE for SWG's demise doesn't make sense. The game was already on the way down before the NGE was implemented. If anything, the NGE gave the game an extra year that it wouldn't have otherwise had.

If we discuss the population from release to the introduction of the NGE, " all time low" is ofc considered for this period. 

Regarding your claim that the huge drop of players was not a cause of the NGE ...   obviously you were not there at the time. No need for any charts to debunk that claim.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

It is called The Repopulation .

This game's development is the one I keep an eye on for now. It is as if SWG fans decided to create their own MMO.

Ofc it would be nice if it was based on the SW universe, but tbh I think having to deal with Lucas Arts (or Disney now whatever) is too much hassle for any company.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Muke

SWG 2:

SOE must be kept out of it

SOE actualy did a pretty decent job with SWG. The NGE was not SOE's fault it was lucas arts that forced the issue.

I think SOE did some breath taking work and even up to the end was adding new features and trying to make the game better. Honestly i dont think SOE is a bad company at all, they have some great titles.

I don't blame SOE for the NGE itself. I was happily surprised by them that they actually refunded me the money for that latest expansion just after that NGE hit.

I do blame them the way they brought the NGE....same with Lucasarts, in secret thinking the mass would buy it anyway, in the process destroying a newly released expansion.

Most important was the constant blatanty lying, disrespectful attitude towards the -paying- customers + the awful management of the game (coding, lack of content/updates, bugs galore, putting everyone on the jedi powergrind etc etc) that ruined the game for me.

NGE was just the final straw. But SOE were burying themselves for quite some time already at that point.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

NO it is not possible.

I said it so many times that it can be only 1 Star Wars MMO running at the same time for Licensing reason.

I said 2 years ago that SWG would close just before SWTOR was going to be released regarless the fact SWG was profitable or not.................obviously that's what happened

SWG closed 15 days before SWTOR launch.

Until SWTOR will keep running SWG2 won't be possible

SOE could make a SCI-FI MMO based on a new IP though, but it won't be a Star Wars game

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    www.TheRepopulation.com for the next Star Wars Galaxies like game.
  • SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by ste2000

NO it is not possible.

I said it so many times that it can be only 1 Star Wars MMO running at the same time for Licensing reason.

I said 2 years ago that SWG would close just before SWTOR was going to be released regarless the fact SWG was profitable or not.................obviously that's what happened

SOE could make a SCI-FI MMO based on a new IP though, but it won't be a Star Wars game

And it has been said even more times that it is pure speculations about the licensing. SOE still runs a Star Wars MMO, Clone Wars Adventures. End of THAT story.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by wowclones
    www.TheRepopulation.com for the next Star Wars Galaxies like game.

This^. No meddling by LA anymore , yay!

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by ste2000

NO it is not possible.

And it has been said even more times that it is pure speculations about the licensing. SOE still runs a Star Wars MMO, Clone Wars Adventures. End of THAT story.

Clone Wars is not classified as a MMO, so you can re-open THAT story and get your fact straight

When 2 years ago  I said that SWG would close just before SWTOR launch, uninformed people like you flamed left and right............but then that's what happened

I wasn't guessing, I know how licensing work.

There is nothing speculative about a licence, there are precise rules

Just to make an example that you might understand, you just need to see what happened with Bethesda vs Interplay for the rights of Fallout MMO.

The whole IP has been sold to Bethesda by Interplay, but Bethesda granted a licence to Interplay to make a MMO.

Bethesda made the Single player Fallout game, but they had to fight Interplay to get the MMO licensing back, otherwise Bethesda could not make a Fallout MMO even though they own the IP

Without using the crystal ball I can tell you Bethesda (Zenimax Online) is working on a Fallout MMO to be released a couple of years after TESO

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Sandbox Originally posted by lizardbones   Originally posted by Kazara There are both haters and fanbois that post.   The unwanted NGE version of SWG was what was drove the playerbase away. There were some nice additions to SWG post-NGE, but the core of the game was still rotten with the NGE changes.  I think many praise SWG for some of the very innovative systems it had and what it once was, not so much the SWG post-NGE version. While I loved SWG pre-NGE, I didn't much care for what it had become and the loss of a once wonderful community (Intrepid for me) was the final deal breaker.
    SWG's population had already peaked and started to drop by the time the NGE came out. The population's decline was the reason they considered the NGE in the first place. It actually stabilized the population for a very short period of time before the population's decline continued again. Reviled or not, the NGE did not kill the game, the game was already on the way out.  
     Yes, at an all time low.
    The all time low came several years later. The NGE didn't do much of anything, except get remembered as the worst update to any game, ever. It didn't cause the drop in players though, it was the response to the drop in players. I understand not liking the NGE and not liking having all the rules changed in a game that's been running for years, but blaming NGE for SWG's demise doesn't make sense. The game was already on the way down before the NGE was implemented. If anything, the NGE gave the game an extra year that it wouldn't have otherwise had.  
     If we discuss the population from release to the introduction of the NGE, " all time low" is ofc considered for this period. 

Regarding your claim that the huge drop of players was not a cause of the NGE ...   obviously you were not there at the time. No need for any charts to debunk that claim.

There's a post back there that you didn't read where I basically threw my hands up and said, "I was wrong". It is permissible to say stuff like that, even here on the MMORPG.com forums, yes?

It doesn't change the mediocre performance of the game though. They wouldn't have considered the NGE if the game was near their expectations. They tried with the NGE and with SWToR to make a SW themed MMO that would do what they wanted, and it didn't work. I don't think there's any hope for a SW themed MMO, unless it's also a Lego themed one aimed at children and is similar to Wizard 101 or Pirates 101.

I think the people mentioning The Repopulation are right. A game with many of SWG's mechanics, without the SW theme is the closest a developer will get.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IG-88IG-88 Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Originally posted by emperorwings
     Or else if you want something /egit / official closest thing will be The Repopulation.

Well, thats what we´re all waiting for.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by IG-88
     Or else if you want something /egit / official closest thing will be The Repopulation.

No offence to the Repopulation team, but I am heavily doubtful that they'll be able 1) meet expectations, and 2) be able to sustain a viable business.

They're just too green. The scope of their project is way to huge for such an inexperienced bunch. I hope I'm wrong though.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I'd say in two more years after the release of a few more sandboxes, then maybe investors might relish the thought of another SWG.
  • darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

No offence to the Repopulation team, but I am heavily doubtful that they'll be able 1) meet expectations, and 2) be able to sustain a viable business.

They're just too green. The scope of their project is way to huge for such an inexperienced bunch. I hope I'm wrong though.

No offence dude but you are so wrong,for one thing apart from Kickstarter the devs financed this by themselves,it is also voluntary with the option of full employment for additional team members and as the game is F2P digital DL with a possible optional incentive packages/cashshop so overheads are minimal to say the least and income is a dead cert.

Now take a gander on the Hero forums the Repop team are always giveing advice they are very knowlegeable and have helped Hero 2 devs find bugs they never knew existed in the new Hero Alpha,and are working very closely with IF in fact I would say Repop is the Hero 2 flagship game at present. 

p>
    Originally posted by darker70

No offence dude but you are so wrong,for one thing apart from Kickstarter the devs financed this by themselves,it is also voluntary with the option of full employment for additional team members and as the game is F2P digital DL with a possible optional incentive packages/cashshop so overheads are minimal to say the least and income is a dead cert.

Now take a gander on the Hero forums the Repop team are always giveing advice they are very knowlegeable and have helped Hero 2 devs find bugs they never knew existed in the new Hero Alpha,and are working very closely with IF in fact I would say Repop is the Hero 2 flagship game at present. 

As someone who may or may not have been working in the games industry for many years, I have seen the road littered with dead projects such as this... 

As far as 'financing the project themselves' goes, that is the biggest clue they are in too deep. A game with a scope that big needs some serious investment and publisher support. Sure they may have a few paid positions, but the fact that they accept volunteers to begin with screams 'over our heads'. 

But like I said, I could be wrong, I hope I am. I've seen all this before many times and I'm simply concerned. It looks like a neat product and it would be a shame if it all went to waste at the last minute.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by moosecatlol
    I'd say in two more years after the release of a few more sandboxes, then maybe investors might relish the thought of another SWG.

People keep saying this, and I just do not get it. SWG sat firmly in "mediocre" for performance. Comparable games both before and after SWG out performed it by a pretty wide margin. Based on how people keep talking about it, it wasn't going to perform any better, because the game was great, as it was. A developer who could afford a Star Wars license isn't going to think to themselves, "Let's spend a bunch of money, and shoot for firmly mediocre performance!"

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

People keep saying this, and I just do not get it. SWG sat firmly in "mediocre" for performance. Comparable games both before and after SWG out performed it by a pretty wide margin. Based on how people keep talking about it, it wasn't going to perform any better, because the game was great, as it was. A developer who could afford a Star Wars license isn't going to think to themselves, "Let's spend a bunch of money, and shoot for firmly mediocre performance!"

It's my understanding that that's not quite true. SWG performed well above the industry norm until WoW came along and blew the top off of investor expectations.

I seem to remember SWG hitting a peak of 400k subs (very briefly) and 1 mill box sales, which at the time, blew people minds. 

Then came WoW. 

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223

Disney or no, another SWG style game COULD happen sooner rather than later IF sandboxy games like Archeage and EQ Next are successful.  If you see sandboxes (or sandparks) take off the suits will take notice.

I would not be surprised if this wasn't already cooking behind the scenes.  SOE is an industry giant and they have already tipped their hand.  The sinking of the TORtannic (even if they milk it through FTP some more) may have been the end of an era.

However, as much as I like Star Wars, I would much rather see a Mass Effect MMO first.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

As someone who may or may not have been working in the games industry for many years, I have seen the road littered with dead projects such as this... 

As far as 'financing the project themselves' goes, that is the biggest clue they are in too deep. A game with a scope that big needs some serious investment and publisher support. Sure they may have a few paid positions, but the fact that they accept volunteers to begin with screams 'over our heads'. 

But like I said, I could be wrong, I hope I am. I've seen all this before many times and I'm simply concerned. It looks like a neat product and it would be a shame if it all went to waste at the last minute.

Sorry don't agree they need a publisher the whole dev/publisher relationship ethos is on shaky ground Kickstarter/indigogo and other's are shifting the sands in the industry.

Look at David Braben he had to ask the fans for help because no way would that game have got the greenlight otherwise far to risky over the time period,JC/Josh only went Kickstarter after the Repop community pretty much insisted and doubled the amount they asked for so they still have that as backup capital.

And no there was no screaming they also recruitted from the Hero forums and those that joined did so willingly so no panic stations here,and full launch is still on target for Nov 2013.

p>
    Originally posted by Ehliya

Disney or no, another SWG style game COULD happen sooner rather than later IF sandboxy games like Archeage and EQ Next are successful.  If you see sandboxes (or sandparks) take off the suits will take notice.

I would not be surprised if this wasn't already cooking behind the scenes.  SOE is an industry giant and they have already tipped their hand.  The sinking of the TORtannic (even if they milk it through FTP some more) may have been the end of an era.

However, as much as I like Star Wars, I would much rather see a Mass Effect MMO first.

Agree with everything but the Mass Effect MMO bit ;)

Sorry don't agree they need a publisher the whole dev/publisher relationship ethos is on shaky ground Kickstarter/indigogo and other's are shifting the sands in the industry.

Look at David Braben he had to ask the fans for help because no way would that game have got the greenlight otherwise far to risky over the time period,JC/Josh only went Kickstarter after the Repop community pretty much insisted and doubled the amount they asked for so they still have that as backup capital.

And no there was no screaming they also recruitted from the Hero forums and those that joined did so willingly so no panic stations here,and full launch is still on target for Nov 2013.

Time will tell. I honestly hope you're right. Sadly, I don't think you will be.