Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest disappointment of the year

We have a heard a lot about the top tens or greatest games,  what for you was the greatest disappointment.

For me it was several:-

GW2, after all the hype it was just a pretty dull, average game, nothing bad but nothing good either.

SWTOR, I know it was last year but sod it, too much story and not enough world. Free to play or not it just doesn't feel like an mmo.

TSW, tbh, and this is shallow, character creation killed it for me, dam I was hideous. 

Highlights, P101 honestly. 

Poll is for 2012 obviously.

currently playing: DDO, AOC, WoT, P101

Comments

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Can not dispute your list. I agree for all the same reasons. Well, except for TSW which I didn't play.
  • stori11stori11 Member Posts: 26
    For me it was GW2, complete and utter diseapointment. I loved the first one, but this? Even if I was to look at it as a new game, not a sequel, its still a dull and boring game. On top of it all they went back and still are going back on many of the promises they made. Yet again I fell victim to the hype, first time being Diablo 3. But oh well.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I could easily see GW2 or D3 fighting for this title.

I wasn't really pumped for either title, but being as GW2 was an MMO, I was a bit more interested in it.

That being said, I would vote GW2.  Simply because the hype was so out of this world and the actual product so mediocre on so many fronts.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Scarfe
    TSW, tbh, and this is shallow, character creation killed it for me, dam I was hideous. 

Lol, shallow you say?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ScarfeScarfe Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by Nitth

Lol, shallow you say?

haha I did play it, just didn't grab me.  I know I should have liked it, but just didn't. 

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

TSW was the biggest dissappoinment for me.

I like GW2 but I went in expecting to hate it, so there was no hype for me to crash from.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Biggest dissapointment of the year...

The attitude of hardcore MMO players towards current day games.  All the  flaming on  the forums.  All 3 games named by the OP were not perfect, but still they where above average, some where way above average.

GW2 is by far the most renewing games in years, sadly most hardcore members didn´t understand it was meant for a casual friendly atmosphere, and keep kicking it in the back, making it look like the game failed, while its a huge succes.

TSW was not bad either, great atmosphere but not enough content to keep people going.

SWTOR was a great one timeplay through (actually 2 times ) story game. A bit to much RPG for most, but quite enjoyable for a month or 2.

Maybe all the MMO bashers by now should realise that they are done and over with current day MMORPG´s as they will never ever be sattisfied by any MMO any more. Its time for them to move on to other genres.

Maybe, or maybe dissatisfaction and whining will help the genre move forward.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    GW2 for me... the game at launch was actually exactly what I was hoping for but ANet proved incapable of supporting it; the professions were (and still are) bugged to hell, group play is still a mess and every patch since release has taken the game further and further from the original design philosophy. A real shame...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tyfontyfon Member UncommonPosts: 240

Definitivly GW2 and D3.

I lasted to level 59 in D3 before getting frustrated with the loot system, and in GW2 managed to level to 30 in two weeks and then I figured out just how shallow the combat, skill and rpg systems were. 

I'm actually inclined to say D3 was the biggest of them as I didn't have as high expectations of GW2 as D3.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I was happy with GW2 so it wouldn’t be in my list, in fact I think it's the best MMO out there if you can get away from the traditional mind set. SWTOR was the biggest disappointment along with D3 in 2013; Bioware/EA put everything into story and levelling but forgot about the rest of the game.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

GW2 for me. Honestly, it can be a decent and at least playable game for me if it didn't encourage playing alone. Or if it at least gives people some kind of channel or system to team up. Or maybe even a server where people go only if they want to team with others and have servers where people only want to solo or something. It's the most single-player-ish mmo I've ever played and I've played at least 50+ literally. The other unfixable problem is that it suffers from the "every player needs to be the hero that saves the day and are all virutally the same person in the story's lore depending on their race/class/whatever". But even then, the fact that it's single player is the only thing keeping it from being "good enough". The combat also isn't that fun compared to actual action combat games. This is pretty much the same as old MMO combat engines except you can move while attacking just like Champions Online and other games.

I wasn't expecting anything from SWTOR at all. It's on the same level of GW2 in my opinion except it actually presents itself better. The GW2 NPC/player interactions are just lazy and boring after a while. Even GW1 had cutscenes through out the game.

I wasn't expecting much out of the Secret World after gameplay footage videos. After playing the beta for about 5 or 6 hours, I never looked back.

I guess we'll have to see if 2013 will be the year of the sandbox for mmos. I hope so, and I hope they feel like cheaply made single player games.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Nitth

Lol, shallow you say?

He meant his reason for not liking it.

But I agree with him.

The characters didn't have enough customization (armor/cloths), they all looked the same, this was one of the reason why I didn't liked it (I know it is shallow, but I actually think this is a huge part in a MMO success)

Of course the gameplay wasn't exactly exciting either..........I found it repetitive and rather boring, with Combat just awful.

Only positive comment I can make about this game is the Puzzle/Quests ala Myst. I would like to see more of that in new MMOs.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

GW2 for me as it was the only game I fell for the hype on and purchased.

The culling issue killed that game, and they still have yet to even address it, in a primarily pvp-centric game.

Total waste of $60 and my time, really pissed off more about time spent wasted playing it to get to the level where we found out about culling and it's abuses in WvWvW. Total waste, and yeah a huge disappointment.

Still amazed they haven't said a word on it.

• KwintpodKwintpod Member Posts: 262

GW2 and D3.

Haven't played TSW though.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528

I'm seeing a pattern here. :)

I was trying my best to scrape up money for a new computer to play all the new titles, but didn't manage and missed out on GW2, D3, TSW.

Sounds like I can save my money.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I dont agree with GW2 being a disappointment, it was the MMO communitys fault for hyping and expecting more from a game that was specifically marketed to the casual gamer. Besides GW2 pushed the MMO development to the next level, many other MMO cants say the same.

Biggest flop of 2012 would in my eyes be TSW, the concept for the game was exactly what gamers were waiting for but poorly executed. Also D3, the game just swan-dived off the bow of the Gamership.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Diablo 3
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Rider071

GW2 for me as it was the only game I fell for the hype on and purchased.

The culling issue killed that game, and they still have yet to even address it, in a primarily pvp-centric game.

Total waste of $60 and my time, really pissed off more about time spent wasted playing it to get to the level where we found out about culling and it's abuses in WvWvW. Total waste, and yeah a huge disappointment.

Still amazed they haven't said a word on it.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Can-you-fix-it-culling

tl;dr: We are working on a fix (a collection of fixes, really) for culling and character loading issues. The fixes require significant changes to a number of game systems and thus require time to implement. We’re not yet ready to discuss a release date for the current set of fixes, but we’re working hard to improve the experience as quickly as we can.

Just in case you were curious about it, the thread goes on in great length about it. It sounds like you were frustrated with it, so at the very least, here is "a word on it."

Originally posted by Dragonantis

I dont agree with GW2 being a disappointment, it was the MMO communitys fault for hyping and expecting more from a game that was specifically marketed to the casual gamer. Besides GW2 pushed the MMO development to the next level, many other MMO cants say the same.

Biggest flop of 2012 would in my eyes be TSW, the concept for the game was exactly what gamers were waiting for but poorly executed. Also D3, the game just swan-dived off the bow of the Gamership.

This slightly irritates me, the next level of what?  The changes were so minute they are barely worth a mention, yet thay are applauded.  It did away with the trinity with no workable alternative.  It got rid of quest hubs but hearts are exactly the same thing with a different name and one less click of the mouse.  It copy pasted dynamic events from other games, and they are not dynamic, they are static and dull, three different states repeated ad nauseum. 

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    How can you be upset about GW2?  It released.  It was what is said it was going be.  The War Z was THE greatest disaster of 2012 hands down.
  • LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Originally posted by Dragonantis

I am now a casual gamer, with alot less time to play games in general. I never got hyped up for GW2 at all. So in your eyes it should be a perfect game for me. I flat out hated it. It was without a doubt the worst MMO I ve played in years. Free or not after initial release, I uninstalled it faster then any game I ve had, because fundamentaly the game sucks to me, and nothing they add will help with that.

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Saur0n
    How can you be upset about GW2?  It released.  It was what is said it was going be.  The War Z was THE greatest disaster of 2012 hands down.

Disaster and disappointment are two different things. I don't think very many people were amped about War Z. (It didn't even really come on my radar until after the debacle). We are talking about games for which there were high hopes for that didn't deliver.

Originally posted by Scottgun
    Originally posted by Saur0n

Disaster and disappointment are two different things. I don't think very many people were amped about War Z. (It didn't even really come on my radar until after the debacle). We are talking about games for which there were high hopes for that didn't deliver.

Was about to say that by you beat me to it.  The complete fuck up that WarZ was, it amused me from afar but did not affect me.