Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why every Asian fantasy mmorpg must have girls in mini skirts?

I don't know people why but i hate that! I like girls  but what is to much it is to much. It looks so ridiculous to see characters running around with ass high up in the sky dressed in mini skirts. I saw that new Bless mmo and was so excited for few minutes so i gave  fast look on Tube to see what is about this game. And guess what! Again almost naked fragile girls in miniskirts with huge boobs swinging huge swords like crazy. Graphic is so realistic and awesome and again we have this Tera effect in every single new Asian mmorpg. Do you hate this?

Comments

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Get real guy, women objectify men the same way. Male avatars in games are just as fake with their bulging muscles and perfect six-pack abs. The rants about scantily clad genders needs to stop trying to act like its a one-sided event because its not.
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

They say the same thing about Western MMORPGs and our obsession with oversized shoulderpads. To each his own, there is a lot of absurdity on both sides of the globe.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    I don't get off on pixels, I could name a few sites better suited for that particular exercise, however, I can't say it bothers me. :D

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Novusod

They say the same thing about Western MMORPGs and our obsession with oversized shoulderpads. To each his own, there is a lot of absurdity on both sides of the globe.

Just look games like LOTRO, that's descent dressing. WOW have some kind  of specific cartoonish style and yes ''huge shoulderpads'' :) but female characters are dressed nice and normal. This girls in Asian mmo's are not dirty and barbaric like in AOC, they look so ''Fashionable'' so unrealistic

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by zomard100
    I don't know people why but i hate that! I like girls  but what is to much it is to much. It looks so ridiculous to see characters running around with ass high up in the sky dressed in mini skirts. I saw that new Bless mmo and was so excited for few minutes so i gave  fast look on Tube to see what is about this game. And guess what! Again almost naked fragile girls in miniskirts with huge boobs swinging huge swords like crazy. Graphic is so realistic and awesome and again we have this Tera effect in every single new Asian mmorpg. Do you hate this?

I feel you man.  Its the biggest turn off for me from Asian Games.  Skimpy outfits and huge honking swords.  So unrealistic it hurts.  Chainmail Bikinis and telephone Poles for weapons.  Pfft yea right.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

It doesn't bug me.  I haven't seen screenshots from Bless, but on the mention of TERA, I always thought the art direction was very well done given the style.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315
    It's called fan service, think of it like Hooters. Asian market over sexualizes female characters, thats it. You don't like it don't play the game its really that simple. I can tell you this now if you have an issue with that don't even look at asian MMO's unless they are the free to play anime style games. Anything with a good budget that uses stuff like the Unreal Engine will have scantically clad women.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Not all Asian mmo have this.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    its an art style, but if anything, it helps me identify which games are worth my time and which ones arent, which generally speaking, those types of games, arent. yeah, over sexualisation of game characters is a bit creepy imo, and is obviously aimed squarely at teenage boys, in much the same way that hello kitty online is aimed at pre-teen girls. However, the one thing about those types of games is that their here today and gone tomorrow, its not really worth getting worked up about games that arent going to be around that long.image
  • zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by XAPGames

It doesn't bug me.  I haven't seen screenshots from Bless, but on the mention of TERA, I always thought the art direction was very well done given the style.

It is true but all of this little girlie characters slaying huge monsters push me away from this game

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Looks good but plays crap. Usual asian styled mmorpg

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

Walking through my city late last Friday night where we have a very large asian population. In real life they wear less than their characters do and no-one seems to have a problem with it. Its their style. Ive seen them wearing skirts that are really just large belts, in the rain, this is how important that look or style is to them.

Hating them for it says a lot more about you than it does them.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Wait, western games don't do this at all? Pssh crazy! Asian games in particular do tend to focus these assets quite a lot but its not all that much more common then western studios, just how its executed might be different.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    The Asian trend for faux-schoolgirls that look and dress like Prostitute Barbie in MMOs is very, very creepy.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This ^

While western mmos may have chainmail bikinis and what not they rarely stray into peadobear territory.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by atuerstar

Walking through my city late last Friday night where we have a very large asian population. In real life they wear less than their characters do and no-one seems to have a problem with it. Its their style. Ive seen them wearing skirts that are really just large belts, in the rain, this is how important that look or style is to them.

Hating them for it says a lot more about you than it does them.

Word, not only hating it but trying to find others who hate it is more a personal issue than a game issue.

Zom, there's 300 or so MMOs currently. Somewhere in that mix is one that has women dressed the way you feel they should be. Go out there and hunt that baby down, tiger!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222

Most mmo players are male and they like tits and ass.

Not all americans for some strange reason, they are kinda prudish when it comes to nudity (nipplegate)

Some also act like a white knight in shining armor when they see ass, it makes them look smart and sofisticated.

• shinkanshinkan Member UncommonPosts: 240

I don't really understand the question here...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    I think mini skirts are awesome
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Don't think you can say that for all asian MMO's tbh.

Look at Archeage for example: most characters are wearing decent armor in that game. Even in Aion there were a decent few covering armors (although lots of skimpy ones as well).

And on the other hand, a lot of western MMO's also have skimpy armors.

Personally, I don't care as long as some suspension of disbelief is possible. I do hate it when so called "heavy plate armor" turns out to cover the least skin out of all armor sets.

I also think skimpy armors are sometimes used to cover up uncreative design. Just a bikini and some crotch covering with possibly a skirt doesn't really come to the level of an intricately designed cuirass and platemail.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Novusod

Just look games like LOTRO, that's descent dressing. WOW have some kind  of specific cartoonish style and yes ''huge shoulderpads'' :) but female characters are dressed nice and normal. This girls in Asian mmo's are not dirty and barbaric like in AOC, they look so ''Fashionable'' so unrealistic

Yeah, I demand realism in my fantasy as well.

Now, excuse me while I log on my elf so that he can ride his dinosaur mount to go kill some spirit dragons on the sky islands where they live.

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

do i hate this?

no, i like it, i like it alot, and once I hear of a game with great gameplay, I am there!

Get off your high horse. I play games I enjoy, and beautiful women and hunkin' guys are fine with me. It's called eye candy! I also like the opportunity to make god awful ugly toons too! but no, I'm all for scantily clad females...o/

Wood elf  and half elf females have been the tops for PCs in Everquest since the dawn of the game, it ain't for the stats! So don't assume it's an asian thing, we men are the same all over the world... we likes candy!

MOAR BIKINI ARMOR!!  o/

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I'm that guy in AoC that runs around with female toons without chest piece...

and I like it.

• DilweedDilweed Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Rider071

I'm that guy in AoC that runs around with female toons without chest piece...

and I like it.

+1 :)

There is enough realism in real life

• ScottgunScottgun Member UncommonPosts: 528
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I also think skimpy armors are sometimes used to cover up uncreative design. Just a bikini and some crotch covering with possibly a skirt doesn't really come to the level of an intricately designed cuirass and platemail.

^^ This. I haven't studied it extensively, but my overall impression is that you get more skimpiness with free-to-play than with AAA subscription games. As another mentioned, LotRO (which started out sub) is much more modest (which also may be in part out of repsect to Tolkien). Final Fantasy XIV is Asian, and while there is a little skimpiness, it's not to a Ninja Gaiden in-your-face kind.

I think it goes in cycles and there is actually a movement toward more modesty. It's kinda like 50's American television which had western after western. Then people just got tired of it.