Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

story instances MUCH better than open world question/mob grind

13»

Comments

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    I find I don't care about instanced (story) content simply because it isn't persistent. I guess that's just how I feel about MMOs. Why make an MMO when a coop game with a lobby would have the same result? Seems like a waste of money to me lol. I would hate to be an investor for these games when a lobby with instanced content would be cheaper to make and maintain.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by NaughtyP
    I find I don't care about instanced (story) content simply because it isn't persistent. I guess that's just how I feel about MMOs. Why make an MMO when a coop game with a lobby would have the same result? Seems like a waste of money to me lol. I would hate to be an investor for these games when a lobby with instanced content would be cheaper to make and maintain.

What if you are getting the persisent world, *and* the lobby co-op customers? It is cheaper than building TWO games because you create the character/combat mechanics only once.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Stories equal end game.
    End game equals short term game.
    At least that's true at the moment.
    So it may be good for those who jump from mmo to mmo, but for those who want something long term its probably best if they are put in a world where they make their own story.
  • NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by NaughtyP

What if you are getting the persisent world, *and* the lobby co-op customers? It is cheaper than building TWO games because you create the character/combat mechanics only once.

They offer different (and imo opposing) game designs. I can enjoy both of them, but I don't see it as a good fit if they are in the same game. I understand the desire for it in many games, but that doesn't mean I have to enjoy it! They simply don't work in harmony from my pov.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Originally posted by WellzyC

Are you guys in denial? YOU DONT LIKE MMOS IF YOU WANT- SINGLE PLAYER - CUT SCENE - INSTANCED STORYS, YOU LIKE RPGS, stop ruining my genre.

Narius won't admit it most likely, but if one were to analyze his posts you'd discover he is not an mmo fan. He more than or less likes any basic multilayer game with matchmaking. He has been trying to sway popular opinion towards limited numbers involved in a game at anytime, petitions for more separation of players via instances, believes a 4 player game can be an mmo, argues the validity of people's opinions and want for a sandbox (ie further away from the current trend), thinks lobby based games are the way to go and there is more. I'm am NOT trying to be offensive, and there may be an mmo or 2 he cares for, but overall he's a Diablo 3 kinda guy. So, that is where his perspective comes from.

Also, another piece of advice, ignore anyone who posts newzoo numbers as they don't understand them as they probably can't afford to purchase the data (not the free stuff posted to entice the industry to purchase).

While stories aren't anti mmo IMO its best to know where the op is coming from.
  • BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869
    Originally posted by madazz
    He more than or less likes any basic multilayer game with matchmaking. 

Iiii dont think he is that much into complexity :)

We should start a headshrink thread :)

Flame on!

:)

Originally posted by Banaghran

Originally posted by madazz He more than or less likes any basic multilayer game with matchmaking. 

Iiii dont think he is that much into complexity :)

We should start a headshrink thread :)

Flame on!

Lol silly typo. Time to switch to a new keyboard on my phone lol. It even adds word's and letters to my sentences and sometimes removes letters or inserts weird words in place of the proper ones. It was painful type "crack" here and in another thread. In fact, it just added the word magic after crack ahshahaha

Edit- I'm not even fixing those weird typos hahah
    Originally posted by madazz
    Stories equal end game. End game equals short term game. At least that's true at the moment. So it may be good for those who jump from mmo to mmo, but for those who want something long term its probably best if they are put in a world where they make their own story.

How do you get stories = end game? I have playing sto and they have story "episodes" since level 1 for leveling.

And of course how long it takes depends on how much content and how fast you play. For me, for a game like sto, i wont be out of content for at least months, which is very long to me. Realistically, i will play sth else way before i finish all the story.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Dungeons in Asheron's Call were NOT instanced. And you really can't call something a full sandbox if it has instances.

Yes they were instances back when instances were called "Zones".

Instances and zones are two entirely different concepts and features. Learn the difference before trying to talk about MMORPGs.

Learn about the history of the genre before trying to talk like you have a clue.

I was there, I played it. An instance is a private version of a zone. Zones and instances are two entirely different things. You sound like the WoW generation who think zone, instance and dungeon are all the same exact thing.

Dungeons in Asheron's Call were NOT instanced. And you really can't call something a full sandbox if it has instances.

Yes they were instances back when instances were called "Zones".

Instances and zones are two entirely different concepts and features. Learn the difference before trying to talk about MMORPGs.

Learn about the history of the genre before trying to talk like you have a clue.

I was there, I played it. An instance is a private version of a zone. Zones and instances are two entirely different things. You sound like the WoW generation who think zone, instance and dungeon are all the same exact thing.

And what have we learned?

Always argue from the pov of the player, not the game.

It does not matter if half of the world is on one machine and half on the other , if the player cannot aquire/enter a copy of a part of the world different from another player, it should not be called instanced, for clarity and to avoid these discussions.

(Technically it even isnt, its just distributed, sometimes with resource saving, if part of the world are deallocated when noone is there and no persistent info has to be retained.)

Just saying.

Flame on!

EDIT: reworded around removing "private", it was confusing to some and wrong, i will never be a lawyer :)

It does not matter if half of the world is on one machine and half on the other , if the player cannot aquire a private copy of the world (or part of it), it should not be called instanced, for clarity and to avoid these discussions.

Define "private". When a player is matched into a game instance with 4 other players (or whatever number), in many games, he does NOT have control over the instance. For example, he does not have sole power to kick other players. Is this private when you have to share control with 4 others?

However about LFR when there are 24 other players?

Note that this is different from D3, where if you start a game, you can kick others out .. so it is truly your "private" world.

The common characteristic of an instance in many MMO is that a GROUP of players share their "private" copy of a part of the world. So it should be define with respect to a group, instead of one player. However, in that case, is a game server (with 20k playres) an instance? Certainly it does not encompass ALL the players (only Eve does that).

I think a better definition (for clarity of communication) is to define "small group instance" and limit the group size to below 25 for pve, and something like 50 vs 50 for pvp.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

It does not matter if half of the world is on one machine and half on the other , if the player cannot aquire a private copy of the world (or part of it), it should not be called instanced, for clarity and to avoid these discussions.

Define "private". When a player is matched into a game instance with 4 other players (or whatever number), in many games, he does NOT have control over the instance. For example, he does not have sole power to kick other players. Is this private when you have to share control with 4 others?

However about LFR when there are 24 other players?

Note that this is different from D3, where if you start a game, you can kick others out .. so it is truly your "private" world.

The common characteristic of an instance in many MMO is that a GROUP of players share their "private" copy of a part of the world. So it should be define with respect to a group, instead of one player. However, in that case, is a game server (with 20k playres) an instance? Certainly it does not encompass ALL the players (only Eve does that).

I think a better definition (for clarity of communication) is to define "small group instance" and limit the group size to below 25 for pve, and something like 50 vs 50 for pvp.

Oh stop it, you have to push your "there is no massive in mmos!!!" thing everywhere, dont you?

A different server is a different server, if you want to argue that the whole world is instanced because , say, in runescape you  can play on any server, then you can, but i dont think it adds to clarity.

As of private, you are right, changes have been made :)

Flame on!

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I don't much care for full story instances, I mean in moderation its ok but if over done it tends to make you feel like you're disconnected from the community,  and that is what i cannot abide.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by stayontarget
    I don't much care for full story instances, I mean in moderation its ok but if over done it tends to make you feel like you're disconnected from the community,  and that is what i cannot abide.

Do you raids or run dungeons? Or pvp in a battleground. All those disconnect you from the community. Story instances just focus more on stories.

Since many MMOs are using instances anyway, wouldn't it be nice if the instance are designed with more events with some stories, instead of just go kill the boss, or capture the flag?