Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My tip to enjoy SWTOR more: Treat it like KOTOR

SWTOR is AMAZING for KOTOR fans (well at least me).

If you treat SWTOR like a free to play, singleplayer KOTOR game...you'll enjoy SWTOR a lot more. I turned off all chat, blocked all invites...and the game improved a lot. For Star Wars fans, this game is great...get to actually play in the Star Wars universe. And even with chat off, you'll still see players running around...but I roleplay them as other NPCs or AI doing stuff, like they would in a singleplayer game.

Since SWTOR is all about a story...it would be like reading a book meant to be read by one person...but having a whole group of people reading it...very unimmersive and would detach yourself from the book. A story is best read by one person.

I think if more people took this line of thought, SWTOR would be a lot more fun to them. Sure it isn't a full MMO...but its free, and if you want to experience the amazing stories and cutscenes and experience Star Wars...this is a great game for that.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

I sorta agree with you except that I like the multiplayer aspects of it.

When I decided to return recently I choose to not think of it as WoW in space, but rather a good coop online single player game with many mmo-like features (KOTOR multiplayer edition). There will never be huge battles on the planets or in space, but it doesn't have to have them to be fun.

Take SWTOR for what it is and you will find out that it really is not that bad of game.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I agree, I think that if you go into SWTOR considering it more like a co op game then an MMO it becomes much better.
  • ShadinShadin Member CommonPosts: 294

I fully agree with the OP. I've been playing it like a co-op SRPG with my gf and been having a blast. Haven't touched endgame so far as it's the same repetative junk as in every other MMO, but up until 50 I'm having a great time with my chars.

I admit, though, they DID market the game as an MMO.. Even so it's not very fun to play as an actual MMO. It's too bad, but as a co-op rpg or srpg, the game really shines still.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a shame the stories are more like the new star wars movies than the old motor games.
  • MMOdad72MMOdad72 Member Posts: 93

The devs advertised and pushed 100 vs 100 battles on Illum between sides pre launch.

They said they had it , and that's what I want.

I guess they are/were liars.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

The problem to me is that Sith in SW:ToR are more like rebellious teenagers mad at their parents than anything Sith-like. They don't even have the basic mentality. It was hard to deal with in KoToR, but just impossible in SW:ToR. Jedi, without the risk of falling to the dark side are pretty much lifeless shells. That too is annoying. The Force is a word thrown around here and there in the game, but nothing revolves around it. 

In short, the above is why many Star Wars fans don't play this game, it's just not Star Wars. It's a space game with the Star Wars name on the box.  It has nothing to do with this being MMO or not, everything to do with this not being Star Wars.

Yes. I am a Star Wars fan. Never will I recommend this game to any fan or anyone genuinely interested in the Star Wars universe. Just keep on waiting until something for the fans really shows up.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

The problem to me is that Sith in SW:ToR are more like rebellious teenagers mad at their parents than anything Sith-like. They don't even have the basic mentality. It was hard to deal with in KoToR, but just impossible in SW:ToR. Jedi, without the risk of falling to the dark side are pretty much lifeless shells. That too is annoying. The Force is a word thrown around here and there in the game, but nothing revolves around it. 

In short, the above is why many Star Wars fans don't play this game, it's just not Star Wars. It's a space game with the Star Wars name on the box.  It has nothing to do with this being MMO or not, everything to do with this not being Star Wars.

Yes. I am a Star Wars fan. Never will I recommend this game to any fan or anyone genuinely interested in the Star Wars universe. Just keep on waiting until something for the fans really shows up.

I enjoy the game, but I have to agree about the stories. You are either a sadistic mass murderer, perfect selfless angel, or you gimp yourself by playing a realistic shade of grey.

The stories need more nuance. But like all game now, this game seeks to not confuse the masses, so they make thier choices so extreme that noone can possibly get confused on what choice they should make. They really should of made the class stories the only one you made choices on and made those choices mean something beyond a few charma points.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

A MMO has a $15 fee, a single player game with co-op / online multiplayer does not.

SWTOR can not be enjoyed like KOTOR until the monthly fee is removed / it goes B2P or the the F2P is not so restrictive.

If it had been created like Mass Effect 3 then it would have been more of a solid experience.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Except that doesn't work.

Because it has much MUCH worse story, music, combat, than Kotor. On top of that, nothing you do in the story impacts the world at all.

They should have just made Kotor and added optional COOP.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I tried that when I played it and it worked for a little while..BUT the Jedi Gaurdian story wasn't all that good.  I am one of those that don't think too much of BW story telling: I think it is childish and cliche most of the time. At times they do a good job but the majority of time it's some lame romance or inplausible progression. Granted I only did part of one story line but it was that bad  and gameplay was worse.

I am hapopy for those that enjoy the game both the free and paid versions. The only thing the game did for me is to knock SWG down to the second most disappionting Star Wars game. BW managed to do the impossible, spin gold into straw. BUT like the OP said...IT'S free, why not give it a try if you haven't.

• Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50

It's even better in a full group.  As soon as you touch down on a planet, get a full group together and start running the quests.

I don't  think all of the quest stories are great but some of the conversation outcomes are hilarious when you're in a group.   Plus it fills your social bar pretty fast.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

If you treat SWTOR like a free to play, singleplayer KOTOR game...you'll enjoy SWTOR a lot more. I turned off all chat, blocked all invites...and the game improved a lot. For Star Wars fans, this game is great...get to actually play in the Star Wars universe. And even with chat off, you'll still see players running around...but I roleplay them as other NPCs or AI doing stuff, like they would in a singleplayer game.

Since SWTOR is all about a story...it would be like reading a book meant to be read by one person...but having a whole group of people reading it...very unimmersive and would detach yourself from the book. A story is best read by one person.

I think if more people took this line of thought, SWTOR would be a lot more fun to them. Sure it isn't a full MMO...but its free, and if you want to experience the amazing stories and cutscenes and experience Star Wars...this is a great game for that.

Customers shouldn't have to pretend a game is something else to enjoy it. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Ah. I see the 'Paper Bag' strategy is still considered effective.

Just don't stare directly at it, stick a bag over it's head, and imagine you're with someone(something) else.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I kind of agree with the OP, except I don't see any reason to turn off chat or invites. I mean, why make it even less social than it already is? Also, I wouldn't necessarily turn away from doing Operations which are one of the best parts of the game. I agree that the game does feel like a Coop, but that doesn't necessarily make it bad...just not what was advertised or what many people wanted. I totally disagree with the poster above about the story. It is quite well done to me, I do feel like I am doing a little RPG, and it is head and shoulders above most of the MMOs out there...especially GW2 and its cheesy story made for 12 years olds even though I am enjoying that world for other reasons more right now :-).

If they would only make this game feel more alive and less static with better social hubs, it could be so much more :-).

There Is Always Hope!

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by Destai
    Originally posted by TheScavenger SWTOR is AMAZING for KOTOR fans (well at least me).   If you treat SWTOR like a free to play, singleplayer KOTOR game...you'll enjoy SWTOR a lot more. I turned off all chat, blocked all invites...and the game improved a lot. For Star Wars fans, this game is great...get to actually play in the Star Wars universe. And even with chat off, you'll still see players running around...but I roleplay them as other NPCs or AI doing stuff, like they would in a singleplayer game.   Since SWTOR is all about a story...it would be like reading a book meant to be read by one person...but having a whole group of people reading it...very unimmersive and would detach yourself from the book. A story is best read by one person.   I think if more people took this line of thought, SWTOR would be a lot more fun to them. Sure it isn't a full MMO...but its free, and if you want to experience the amazing stories and cutscenes and experience Star Wars...this is a great game for that.
    Customers shouldn't have to pretend a game is something else to enjoy it. 

This a million times over, besides kotor was buy to play. SWTOR is foll of give me more money to play so you cant treat it like its former console father.

KOTOR - SWTOR I am your father, ha ha ha , SWTOR noooooooo!!!!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by superniceguy

A MMO has a $15 fee, a single player game with co-op / online multiplayer does not.

SWTOR can not be enjoyed like KOTOR until the monthly fee is removed / it goes B2P or the the F2P is not so restrictive.

If it had been created like Mass Effect 3 then it would have been more of a solid experience.

Seems like a limit of the imagination to me.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I dunno. My wife, Kid and I all have f2p acounts. didn't cost us a dime. We are able to group and play together just fine.
    Not sure where your problem lies unless you are expecting more than they say they are going to give for the f2p model.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

A MMO has a $15 fee, a single player game with co-op / online multiplayer does not.SWTOR can not be enjoyed like KOTOR until the monthly fee is removed / it goes B2P or the the F2P is not so restrictive.If it had been created like Mass Effect 3 then it would have been more of a solid experience.

sorry but a sub or no sub has absolutely no bearing on the fun i have in any game.

honestly? people actually have more fun playing a game when they think they are playing a free game?

that is kind of odd.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

i do sort of play it like a single player game myself, although i do a lot of WZ's and open pvp too, which is something you cant get with a single player.

this game has more replay value than most single players too, most single players have one main story and several side quests.

this game has one main story for each planet, then 8 unique class stories, then also side quests too.

Originally posted by mrrshann618

I dunno. My wife, Kid and I all have f2p acounts. didn't cost us a dime. We are able to group and play together just fine.
    Not sure where your problem lies unless you are expecting more than they say they are going to give for the f2p model.

They say they are letting you buy more char slots and have 6 instead of 2, since just after F2P went live, now 1.5 months later you still can not.

None of the F2P is expected or not expected, they will change things accordingly or not change things, but the way they are doing things currently is slimy

Originally posted by baphamet

sorry but a sub or no sub has absolutely no bearing on the fun i have in any game.

honestly? people actually have more fun playing a game when they think they are playing a free game?

that is kind of odd.

I had more fun with SWG and that cost a fee, but then that game had plenty of stuff to do in it, and the efforts that SOE (excluding the NGE and CU but then at least it was something even if they were wrong moves to improve the game) and the player community put into it, were well worth it.

Even single player games, with no updates, some people can play forever and ever, if they really like it, but usually even the best single player game, most people just play them, and move on. This is what SWTOR is like

If SWTOR was getting updated more frequently than it has been, then it too would be worthy of the $15 fee.

ie SWG had a lifetime of fun, whereas SWTOR had a few months of fun.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

problem is , Not being a fan of KOTOR. Thats a single player RPG, not a MMO. I play MMORPGs over SPRPGs for a reason.

But I understand what you saying.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• BigAndShinyBigAndShiny Member Posts: 176

Add this to your tips:  Turn off Nametags.

That way other players will look just like background NPCs around the work, and you only have to look at them when they ninja your stuff.  Also, play on Instance 3 or Instance 4 of a planet, so you get the emptiest one. 

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

More specifically, treat the whole of SWTOR like the Taris level in Kotor.

Like Taris, SWTOR is cold, barren, empty and lifeless.

Unlike Taris, it does not lead to one of the best RPGs ever made.

Fail.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I disagree with you in the sense that you don't really need to play SW:ToR like KoToR3 to enjoy it. It is perfectly enjoyable as it is now. It does fall short a bit short as an MMORPG, but if you just play it single player and don't do any of the group content, which is actually pretty fun, that is a shame. Just play it as it was intended to be played, trying everything out that it has to offer.

Granted, it is already a pretty single-player experience as it is even if you play it like an MMORPG. I think that more and more games seem to not capture the magic of the early times of MMORPGs and player communities and SW:ToR is no different. Such a shame because that was partly what made games like these so fun.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.