Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you got to create a unique race for the next Fantasy MMORPG, what would it be?

DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

If you got to create a unique race for the next Fantasy MMORPG, what would it be?

Describe your unique race:

1. What is the name of your race?
  2. Describe your race's size, shape, or form.
  3. Lore: Where does your race originate from?
  4. What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of your race?
  5. Alignment: Good, Evil, or Neutral?
  6. Does your race have a special "fluff" or cosmetic spell? If so, describe it.

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by mmoDAD

1) Spectrals 

2) They are wandering spirits that resemble whisps

3) Spectrals are a race born without body or form thus unable to interact with the material world. To interact with the material world they must find a host. Humans and other sentient beings have wills of their own and resist the Spectrals so they are forced to posses animals and beasts. When possesing an animal or beast they begin to form a bond which starts a mutation process that changes the creature into a humanoid hybrid form better suited for interacting with the material world. Once the bonding process is complete the spectral is bound to this form until the host body dies. 

4) Depends on the host body

5) Neutral

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I liked what legend of grimrock did with races. No elves and dwarfs.

Humans
    Minotaurs
    Insect people - who I guess had some elf / gnome traits, affinity to magic, better tech etc..
    Lizard people
  • RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         I wouldn't...  I'm partial to leaving the fantasy races alone..  I think between people like J.R. Tolken and others have defined a spectrum of reasonable races..  I was actually disappointed when SOE came out wtih froglok, kitty's and lizzards to play..  Really?   Then you have EQ2 with "fairies".. OMG..  :(
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

1. The Sijjistory
    2. Custom Composition Sliders via Character Creation (Star Trek Online's Custom Race Option)
    3. Through her dark demeanor, a tyrant had stricken everything pure from a "once-lit" empire. Greed, Pride, Lust, and Corruption spread like wildfire. It was accepted by the people with open arms. In an attempt to corrupt even the children, her vile authority started to produce an endless amount of children books that contained images of hateful beasts and entities of hate. Because of this disastrous affair, an unknown curse was placed upon the city and her people. The very terrors from these books began to spring out of the pages and take form. They slaughtered everyone within the city and everyone who continues to live by the laws of hate.
    4. Strengths: +Strength, +Agility, +Stamina. Weaknesses: -Intelligence, -Wisdom.
    5. Alignment: Good.
    6. Fluff Spell: Can transform self into a book (Stationary).
  • maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Races and lore emerge from gameplay rather than being pre-defined by developers. 

I didn't enjoy the actual implementation of Spore, but I'm still enthusiastic about the basic concept behind it: a series of minigames generating content for each other, growing the total complexity of the universe over time as players play.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

1) Spectrals 

3) Spectrals are a race born without body or form thus unable to interact with the material world. To interact with the material world they must find a host. Humans and other sentient beings have wills of their own and resist the Spectrals so they are forced to posses animals and beasts. When possesing an animal or beast they begin to form a bond which starts a mutation process that changes the creature into a humanoid hybrid form better suited for interacting with the material world. Once the bonding process is complete the spectral is bound to this form until the host body dies. 

5) Neutral

Wow. That's a really good idea.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

1) Spectrals 

5) Neutral

Thanks, figured I go with something a little more immersive with how MMO's work. Can't beat a built in explanation on why you can keep dying and coming back lol! 

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Various. 
    1. Describe your race's size, shape, or form. 
    Human
    1. Lore: Where does your race originate from? 
    Accidental creation/summoning.   Basically inconvient byproduct from energy/mana generation.
    1. What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of your race? 
    Can't die, just end eventually getting meat grinder-ed to the point of uselessness forcing the player to teleport to where they were born/'brought to this world'.

Tendancy to be viewed as "off but useful" all the way to "Bat$@(! ending the world insane" by the natives.   Can't reproduce.   And players get to choose their story of their "before time" to tell NPCs.   All of this just being story elements
    1. Alignment: Good, Evil, or Neutral? 
    From player's perspective neutral, from NPC perspective Chaotic.
    1. Does your race have a special "fluff" or cosmetic spell? If so, describe it.
    Ability to teleport home, and act as an energy source for NPC actions in some cases.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

1. What is the name of your race? Forumposter
    2. Describe your race's size, shape, or form. 5' to 6' tall hunched over humanoid with two mouths and only one ear.  The mouths rarely stop speaking making it extremely difficult for it to hear anything. Brain function is limited by their ability to hear what they themselves say, so as more creatures of this race gather together, the stupider they become.
    3. Lore: Where does your race originate from? The bowels of humanity (a.k.a the internet)
    4. What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of your race? The Forumposters greatest strength is single mindedness, while the biggest weakness is single mindedness
    5. Alignment: Good, Evil, or Neutral? Neutral Evil
    6. Does your race have a special "fluff" or cosmetic spell? If so, describe it.  Being a distant descendant of primates, they tend to fling poo at others frequently.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201

Centaurs... they can't climb trees or anything else for that matter but they can run really, really fast.

Alignment: [Good] and [Evil] just like humans in most games. (It could be two different clans of centaurs or something like that)

And yeah they don't use mounts because hey they are their own mount... good isn't it? Saves a lot of pixel gold on that one I tell you. ;)

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I've always been disappointed by EQ's take on Sarnaks, which were meant to be half dragon/half iksar. I feel the Sarnak lacked all the features that make either dragons or Iksar cool, and would make my own sentient Dragon-Man race, which would be fairly large, bipedal, long tailed, spiky headed and have innate projectile attacks originating from the mouth fire/cold/electric/etc.

Also, to the guy above, EQ2 Fae were freakin' awesome.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

1. Antinomoi

2. Human size

3. Failed magical experiment that resulted in that race

4. Advanced intelligence, absence of subconscious, psionics,

5. Using the Good/Neutra/Evil axis compared to a human they seem neutral evil. That's because of their unique psycology.

6. They always look depressed to the outsiders.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Thanks, figured I go with something a little more immersive with how MMO's work. Can't beat a built in explanation on why you can keep dying and coming back lol! 

Shows a great amount of talent, especially explained clearly in less than 18 paragraphs of jumble. :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    A: Shiku
    A: A little shorter then a human they look surprisingly normal just like an ordinary human. However when they enter combat their form changes into a more dangerous advisary. Their hands opens up and razor sharp claws come out. Their forms purely depend on what role they are filling,
    A: The Shiku or otherwise known as the "dream walkers". Little is known about them, however according to ancient texts it hints that they were first encountered in a nightmare.
    A: The race would have no weakness which would act as its only strength and that in itself will also be its weakness.
    A: Neutral
    A: The only fluff would be how the character model looks depending on the action taken or the spell cast. Think of it in a sense where their bodies would reflect their emotion. So for example a dps would look ferocious and very dangerous, a tank would show a more bulky transformation and a healer or caster would reflect a more fragile like appearance with some lingering magic symbols floating in the air near them.

The whole idea with this race is to promote some really fun character designs through using your imagination. Because this race takes on many different looks due to their origin the designers could really have a lot of fun. You could also add higher level transformations to give players an incentive to level the race.

P.S. I think if the team was talented enough you could get some really cool looking transformations and beings out of this type of race.
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by blognorg

Originally posted by mmoDAD If you got to create a unique race for the next Fantasy MMORPG, what would it be? Describe your unique race: [*] What is the name of your race? [*] Describe your race's size, shape, or form. [*] Lore: Where does your race originate from? What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of your race?
    Alignment: Good, Evil, or Neutral?
    Does your race have a special "fluff" or cosmetic spell? If so, describe it.

1. Human 2. 5 foot-something, 100 and something pounds, two arms, two legs. 3. Two Humans were created by God 10,000 years ago, and they've been inbreeding every since. 4. Dull senses, not very strong, easily killed by cold, but are smarter than your average bear. 5. A mix of good and evil, and a whole lof of assholes. 6. No. They are boring as shit.
    Dear god if you created man tenthousand years ago then why did you create the mountains millions of years ago? I just can't wrap my head around this thats all. DancingQueen

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Poe's Law strikes again!

As for the thread subject... I don't feel like answering all those questions right now, but wouldn't a race with one gender (like the Asari in the Mass Effect series) or a race with three or more genders (like that one in Star Trek Enterprise) be interesting?

What about races with more than two arms or more than one head? That would certainly be interesting but I'm not sure how you'd balance it (quadruple-wielding sounds like it could be pretty imbalanced).

Also, I'd love to see some non-humanoid races, although I don't know how practical that would be. Give me a race of slime blobs. A race of aquatic creatures that needs special suits to walk on land. A race that walks on all fours (like the Elcor in Mass Effect). Just anything to break the mold from humans-with-big-ears or humans-with-a-different-skin-color or anthropomorphic animals.

EDIT: Ooh, I just thought of another one. Ever played Oukami? What about a race of wolves that wield weapons on their backs? That'd be cool. Maybe? I think. 

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

Originally posted by rojo6934

Originally posted by mmoDAD If you got to create a unique race for the next Fantasy MMORPG, what would it be? Describe your unique race: [*] What is the name of your race? [*] Describe your race's size, shape, or form. [*] Lore: Where does your race originate from? What are the Strengths and Weaknesses of your race? Alignment: Good, Evil, or Neutral? Does your race have a special "fluff" or cosmetic spell? If so, describe it.
    1. Human 2. 5 foot-something, 100 and something pounds, two arms, two legs. 3. Two Humans were created by God 10,000 years ago, and they've been inbreeding every since. 4. Dull senses, not very strong, easily killed by cold, but are smarter than your average bear. 5. A mix of good and evil, and a whole lof of assholes. 6. No. They are boring as shit.
    Dear god if you created man tenthousand years ago then why did you create the mountains millions of years ago? I just can't wrap my head around this thats all. DancingQueen
        Actually, the Earth, itself, is only 10,000 years old. Anything else you hear is just Satan corrupting the minds of men. If you think about it, it's kind of insane what we allow ourselves to believe when we don't allow God in our hearts, and let Satan influence us.
    the thread is about Fantasy MMORPGs, not Fantasy Books. Lets stick to the topic please.

I intended to adhere to the topic; I was merely answering a question directed at me. I didn't want to be rude.

you're a bit scary actually>.>;;

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785

• Octopoid
    • Looks like an octopus with it's beak on the face under it's eyes, it's tentacles forming the "shoulders and arms" area, with human arms (replacing 2 of the tentacles) and shoulders, and a serpent like body extending from the underside. Marine species able to slither on land using the serpent body. The tentacles are shorter than the arms and useless as far as holding things, but have a magical power of temporary stun effect due to hypnosis as they wave about slowly while casting this spell effect.
    • A city under the ocean. Once an island, the city and it's residents (humans) were cursed by the deity of the seas for forgetting him after he had helped make their civilization one of the most prominant of their time, far in the past.
    • Resistant to cold, weaker to fire. Not big differences, just a small effect.
    • Evil and hatefull as they resent their curse. Chaotic except for their new worship (lawful in nature) of an octopus like deity who they believe saved them from the cursed submersion of their kingdom city.
    • Water breathing, fast swimmers compared to humans (1.5x speed), slow land crawlers (3/4 speed), stun/hypnosis spell power of their waving tentacles.

How's that?

Once upon a time....

Originally posted by Amaranthar

• Octopoid
    • Looks like an octopus with it's beak on the face under it's eyes, it's tentacles forming the "shoulders and arms" area, with human arms (replacing 2 of the tentacles) and shoulders, and a serpent like body extending from the underside. Marine species able to slither on land using the serpent body. The tentacles are shorter than the arms and useless as far as holding things, but have a magical power of temporary stun effect due to hypnosis as they wave about slowly while casting this spell effect.
    • A city under the ocean. Once an island, the city and it's residents (humans) were cursed by the deity of the seas for forgetting him after he had helped make their civilization one of the most prominant of their time, far in the past.
    • Evil and hatefull as they resent their curse. Chaotic except for their new worship (lawful in nature) of an octopus like deity who they believe saved them from the cursed submersion of their kingdom city.
    • Water breathing, fast swimmers compared to humans (1.5x speed), slow land crawlers (3/4 speed), stun/hypnosis spell power of their waving tentacles.

How's that?

So their story plot involves them kidnapping a bunch of japanese schoolgirls and perform a special ritual on them to appease their god?:P

• AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350

1. Homon **

2. A small human child that slowly evolves as he/she grows/levels up.  At first only rudimentary skills like humans, able to wield a small sword, dagger, axe, hammer or fishing pole.  At approximately the age of 13 they start to experience dream sequences where they are able to use both ice and fire spells combined with their human weapons/tools.  Once they hit young adulthood they start physically evolving with the appearance of scales over the chest, arms and legs and the dream sequences end with waking bloodied from all out battles but no recollection of exactly what those battles were.  Upon reaching full adulthood, age 21(level 21?) they are sent a message from a stranger requesting they travel to a city that had heretofore been considered only legend(in fact was now ruins).  The message contained a cryptic note that appeared to give a clue that the character would be able to discover what and why the character was experiencing these dreams, battles and physical changes.

3.  Another dimension where massive wars had threatened the life of the planet which is why the small child(among others left at various locations around the world) had been left at an orphanage in a remote, peaceful area of this world in hopes of sparing a few lives to carry on the homon race.

4. Strengths are good physical strength and magical resistance with excellent fire or frost magic, weaknesses are earth spells and a lesser weakness for plant based items. ie potions/spells

5. Alignment is neutral/good but circumstances and life events can create evil where there was none.

6. Cosmetic spell is once the character has "found" themselves, they can tranform into a dragon(dragon form is chosen once they complete their self-discovery questline) for battle but is only necessary to change form if they wish to fight from the air(ie firebombs).

**http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O101-Homon.html

Homon

Copyright

Homon (Jap., ‘dharma gate’). The teachings of the Buddha. In the Four Great Vows (shiguseigan) of Zen, (part of the bodhisattva vow), the third is: ‘The dharma gates are manifold: I vow to enter them all.’

Originally posted by Tymoris

• Octopoid

How's that?

So their story plot involves them kidnapping a bunch of japanese schoolgirls and perform a special ritual on them to appease their god?:P

I'm at a complete loss as to what your comment means. Are you saying this idea has been done before? A little more info would be helpful.

Once upon a time....

• Octopoid

How's that?

I'm at a complete loss as to what your comment means. Are you saying this idea has been done before? A little more info would be helpful.

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific:) Well I joked a bit that even though the specific idea of yours hasn't been done exactly as it is, it has been used a lot by hentai anime.  Yeah yeah I have a dirty mind, but that's what I thought first by races which are full with tentacles>.>;;

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    You mean unique species? L2Biology
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

• Octopoid

How's that?

Sorry I guess I should have been more specific:) Well I joked a bit that even though the specific idea of yours hasn't been done exactly as it is, it has been used a lot by hentai anime.  Yeah yeah I have a dirty mind, but that's what I thought first by races which are full with tentacles>.>;;

Oh jeeze, you just ruined my night. Well, partly because my imagination just kicked into what you are probably talking about, heh.

(I'm an old guy, but I think I'm blushing a little too.)

Once upon a time....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

• Octopoid

How's that?

Oh jeeze, you just ruined my night. Well, partly because my imagination just kicked into what you are probably talking about, heh.

(I'm an old guy, but I think I'm blushing a little too.)

I think he was referring to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w951QTp_ufY

As to the OP, I would like to see less humanoids. I know it makes it easier for scripting and making armor models, but it gets a bit boring when every player character is bipedal with 2 arms.  

Plenty of options from looking at earth alone, or even NPCs in the monster handbook for DnD, hell even look at some Pokemon haha. Psychic moths, rock golems with 8 legs, shapeshifters that change form with every attack, mimics, naga,  elementals, drachnids,  a swarm of borg like insects.

I think the biggest problem to date has been time and graphical limitations. Bipedal humanoids, including animal hybrids are easy. But that is why they have gotten so tired and boring.

• Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

1)  Shitagau

2) 7 ft even, humanoid figure, Other traits vary

3) The Shitagau originated from one cell that copied itself in space, and sent the copy to a neighboring planet, only to be destroyed by the atmosphere. It tried repeatedly as it drifted through space passing planets and asteroids, only to fail and watch a part of itself slowly die over and over. Finally It decided to try one more time, but this time it would make multiple duplicates, then absorb them all before they died. Slowly it  evolved the ability to withstand the atmospheres its copies inhabited, and could quickly adapt to any new ones. So it decided to leave them on the planets, and asteroids to evolve on their own and absorb them after they've conquered their enviornment. But what it didn't realize was that it also absorb their memories, and gave them its memories when it duplicates. The copies began to call the original Isshu, and referred to themselves as Shita. But on rare occasions a Shita will assume it is Isshu. Upon arriving to absorb a batch of its copies, Isshu notices that a lot of Shita are misssing, only to realize that a few of them were absorbing others. These Shita were different because they evolved seperately on their own, and decided not to be absorbed and erased from exsistance, and rebelled against Isshu. Determined no to end up like the many that came before them, they fled and fought Isshu in their enviorments to an advantage. A lot of Shita still followed Isshu, and many followed its orders sacrificing themselves, and hunting there own along Isshu's side. But none of them no who the realIsshu is except one.

4) Vary

5) All

6) Can absorb others and become stronger. (Temporary)

This would ideally be in a Sci Fi Space setting.

Guess I got a little carried away there. LOL image